Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Remulak posted:

Rice can have some astonishingly high arsenic levels. if you aren’t eating it at every meal, it doesn’t matter terribly, but if you are the pasta-like method with draining water is a really good idea.

Until a quick search before this paragraph I thought it was only Indian rice that had arsenic problems. Now I know it’s universal and I need to start rinsing my rice.

this is troubling because i eat rice at least once a day

however i rinse mine because if i dont my rice cooker bubbles over leaving a white film all over the counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

blatman posted:

however i rinse mine because if i dont my rice cooker bubbles over leaving a white film all over the counter

That's all the high quality arsenic. You're leaving money on the table man.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

In Training posted:

That's all the high quality arsenic. You're leaving money on the table man.

i wasnt buying fancy enough rice for it to be high quality, i was getting at best the arsenic equivalent of when u buy a baggie of oregano in highschool

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I guess parts of France are still permanently polluted with so much arsenic grass still can't grow there anymore

Since ww1

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ikanreed posted:

Now this is a good troll.

I thought so too but it didn’t get a single bite so I guess not

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I guess parts of France are still permanently polluted with so much arsenic grass still can't grow there anymore

Since ww1

yeah France is all arse i agree

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

blatman posted:

a car driving by you is probably worse for your health than eating some arsenic rice

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

rice should never go in a burrito

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

COPE 27 posted:

if you take that away from San Francisco all they have left is rice a roni

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/mrkocnnll/status/1660657826740465665

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Remulak posted:

Rice can have some astonishingly high arsenic levels. if you aren’t eating it at every meal, it doesn’t matter terribly, but if you are the pasta-like method with draining water is a really good idea.

Until a quick search before this paragraph I thought it was only Indian rice that had arsenic problems. Now I know it’s universal and I need to start rinsing my rice.

Got a source for that? Tens of millions of Japanese people eat rice two or three times a day and live well into old age without getting arsenic poisoning.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

I like it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ikanreed posted:

Does anyone drain rice?

The water is supposed to be absorbed in cooking. What.
I've always boiled and drained rice. It works perfectly and is the easiest and most convenient method.

Shame Boy posted:

Treacle is what the British use instead of actually good sugar syrups
Treacle is the best syrup.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I've always boiled and drained rice. It works perfectly and is the easiest and most convenient method.

Treacle is the best syrup.

how is an extra step the most convenient

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Antonymous posted:

how is an extra step the most convenient

'Cause you don't have to measure how much water you put in or keep an eye on it in case the water all gets absorbed and it burns. Just heat a pot of water, put rice in it, leave it a while, drain.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

do you measure how much toothpaste to put on your brush or do you like, after doing it once or twice, know what amount will be appropriate

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its ok though u do u. just don't be snotty about doing things the white way

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

when I make carbonara for myself I use about 24 eggs, two cartons. Then at the end I pour the egg sauce onto the pasta until it looks like the right amount, then I throw the excess into the rubbish. This is the most efficient, easiest, and tasty way. it has always resulted in a perfect amount of sauce on my pasta.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Antonymous posted:

just don't be snotty about doing things the white way
I wasn't. Someone asked "does anyone do this" and I said "yes, I do, here's why". You're reading a lot into that that isn't there.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

i rinse my steak after cooking it so

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I remember watching a Youtube with some American grandma making "depression era" dishes and "poor man's" whatevers and it all looked like normal (if a bit fatty) food to me. Like, food a student here in this day and age could not afford to eat on the regular.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Professor Shark posted:

i rinse my steak after cooking it so

I've heard of this and let me tell you, you don't have to keep being a huge piece of poo poo.
People can change. It gets better.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I remember watching a Youtube with some American grandma making "depression era" dishes and "poor man's" whatevers and it all looked like normal (if a bit fatty) food to me. Like, food a student here in this day and age could not afford to eat on the regular.

Now you're getting it. Note how you also can't afford to buy a home now either.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's usually either that or it's something that requires 6 hours of work to make cheaply.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

You're not supposed to give babies too much rice porridge because of the arsenic content. Which sucks because you end up with to much rice flour that is only useful for babies. On the other hand, my wife's niece refused to eat anything else and she is dating the most insufferable business major type I have ever met so clearly she got brain damage.

Anyway, when cooking rice you don't have to measure, just add water so it's one finger segment higher than the rice, works every time. Also cook too much rice because frying them with eggs the days after is so good.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

ekuNNN posted:

you guys should come post in the C-SPAM cooking thread, it's always too quiet in there :3:

If you add the same amount of water you get a 35% thinner gruel

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ekuNNN posted:

you guys should come post in the C-SPAM cooking thread, it's always too quiet in there :3:

Don't know about the price and packaging, but according to their website

quote:

Sugar content (on 55g basis): Lower Sugar Apples & Cinnamon: 8g Sugar. Our regular Apples & Cinnamon flavor contains 14g.

So it's not just because there's less oatmeal per packet.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I was gonna say that seems like the rare kinda thing the FDA would actually get on you about if you tried to be cheeky with specific ingredient claims like that.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

this was a one off sight gag in an episode of The Righteous Gemstones lol

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

The virgin "nobody is having kids anymore" vs the chad "don't even consider dating in your 20s #grindset #success #winmode"

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

hobbesmaster posted:

if you take that away from San Francisco all they have left is rice a roni

They still have ice cream sandwiched between two oatmeal cookies. Not very good though

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Weatherman posted:

Got a source for that? Tens of millions of Japanese people eat rice two or three times a day and live well into old age without getting arsenic poisoning.
lol, google. I knew that the draining method was suggested in India due to the arsenic, but I had no idea it was universal.

I have this open in another tab:
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/01/how-much-arsenic-is-in-your-rice/index.htm

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Remulak posted:

lol, google. I knew that the draining method was suggested in India due to the arsenic, but I had no idea it was universal.

I have this open in another tab:
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/01/how-much-arsenic-is-in-your-rice/index.htm

quote:

All types of rice (except sushi and quick cooking) with a label indicating that it's from Arkansas, Louisiana, or Texas or just from the U.S. had the highest levels of inorganic arsenic in our tests.

lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Another fun entry in the list of topics where you can just take a map and color the south red and label it "bad things" and it fits the data

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My understanding is that brown rice is the main one to look out for. Arsenic is stored in the husk.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My understanding is that brown rice is the main one to look out for. Arsenic is stored in the husk.
Goddamnit and here I thought I was being healthy. You can’t win!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

cat botherer posted:

Goddamnit and here I thought I was being healthy. You can’t win!

I mean, the arsenic wasn't always there. We did that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

I mean, the arsenic wasn't always there. We did that.

Nah it was always there, it's one of those things that's just kinda naturally in soil.

We're definitely the reason why there's a lot more of it though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

For decades we blasted some of our best agricultural land with arsenic insecticides. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

arsenic is stored in the balls