Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

The 24/7 fresh content mill of the internet has really generated a perpetual motion bad take machine. You've got to write SOMETHING and if it's a FRESH TAKE even better. Stand by for my latest from Vox entitled: "Is Santa Claus More Relevant than Ever in Light of the Ongoing Ukraine conflict?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phil Gramm pound for pound is one of the most calamitous Americans in modern history. Glad to see that evil lich still hanging on

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Gotta remember that the West hasn't lost a military fight since Vietnam

What? Is this you trying to show how stupid you are so you can get a job at the NYT?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sorry but irony, sarcasm and jokes are not fit to print.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

Ukraine's been charging their super meter and is waiting for the right whiff to punish

Evo Moment 37 but its with all of their beloved German panzers

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

e: i forgot those guys also had chris hemsworth, that's overkill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvxm8Vqif5o

This scene is so funny. The only tension comes from the "good guys" side temporarily losing the ability to rain destruction from the skies without recourse.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Weka posted:

What? Is this you trying to show how stupid you are so you can get a job at the NYT?

Slow your roll. I'm talking about conventional warfare.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ytlaya posted:

This scene is so funny. The only tension comes from the "good guys" side temporarily losing the ability to rain destruction from the skies without recourse.

Watch Gladiator

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1660409280636280835

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

its also incomprehensible in terms of geography. i like the part when they are going down the hill on horseback and then suddenly they are shooting from cover

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

paul_soccer12 posted:

Lutrell is the one who claimed the rest of his squad was defeated in an epic firefight where they must have bravely smoked at least 50 hajjis before getting overwhelmed

turned out the taliban was filming the whole thing, lost zero fighters, and lutrell hadn't fired a shot but did run away and fall down a hill, which kept him from getting shot like the rest of his battle buddies

Lutrell also said his squad was only discovered after helicopter insertion because they came across a family of afghans, took a vote on whether to massacre them all, decided against it, adn the family ran to the taliban and revealed their position. he called it the worst mistake of his life to not just murder a bunch of civilians.

in reality, there was no vote (military units are famous for democratically deciding on courses of action), and the taliban knew exactly where they were from the moment they landed because they couldnt have been less subtle if they tried

an afghan saved his life and lutrell lied about him and smeared him in his best selling book purchased by your round hog uncles in USA

Also he thought there was like 100 Talibs but turns out there was maybe 12?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

Also he thought there was like 100 Talibs but turns out there was maybe 12?

Having access to Vietnamese records has created a lot of surprises like this.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

live by the sword, die by the sword

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

It's just very funny that it was a near equal numbers fight and the elite spec ops high speed low drag unit got absolutely owned by some goat farmers with 50 year old kit.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If you're out by yourself on some unfamiliar hillside and a bunch of dudes who know the area get the jump on you, you're probably going to die whether you're a raw conscript or the most super, bad-rear end operator in the world. It's not like their elite status gave them the ability to magically levitate themselves away to safety.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
There really isn't another good thread for this but lol at the money people were given after they leave the wikipedia organization, and alos where they go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2023-05-22/News_and_notes

quote:

The Wikimedia Foundation released its Form 990 tax return for 2021 on 9 May 2023. This shows that outgoing CEO Katherine Maher was paid a severance package of US$623,286 in 2021 – slightly more than one-and-a-half times her base compensation in her last full year at the Wikimedia Foundation. So Maher – who left Wikimedia at the end of April 2021 to join the Atlantic Council and currently serves on the US Department of State's Foreign Affairs Policy Board – earned a total of US$798,632 in the 2021 calendar year.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Zeroisanumber posted:

Slow your roll. I'm talking about conventional warfare.

youre right, the us has not lost one napoleonic field battle since vietnam

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I was under the impression that the Vietnamese records are still sealed, can you tell me more about this?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

It's just very funny that it was a near equal numbers fight and the elite spec ops high speed low drag unit got absolutely owned by some goat farmers with 50 year old kit.

There's a somewhat infamous story about some off-duty army rangers getting into a huge gunfight with a gang of crips, something like 30+ people involved, and not hitting anyone. Of course anything you try to watch or read about it is hilariously pro-ranger and usually racist, so that fact gets downplayed entirely because uhh rumors that some actually did get shot and die.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I was under the impression that the Vietnamese records are still sealed, can you tell me more about this?

soldiers on the ground always overcounted how many enemies were attacking them and a lot of US KD ratios were based off those inflated first contact reports. Like a platoon will say that they are under attack by a battalion sized unit at the least, air support will arrive after 15 minutes by which time the vietnamese had already broken contact. All those bombs and artillery would be dropped on an empty patch and because there were no bodies found the consensus was that everyone had been killed and the dang vietcong had hidden the bodies.

As an aside, a Green Beret trained Unit did try to take the Siachen Glacier from Commonwealth trained line infantry and got mauled really badly.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1660963866438762496

The second in a series of articles from Graeme Wood for the Atlantic, strenuously underlining the premise of the first, "Clarence Thomas’s billionaire friend is no Nazi".

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rubellavator posted:

There's a somewhat infamous story about some off-duty army rangers getting into a huge gunfight with a gang of crips, something like 30+ people involved, and not hitting anyone. Of course anything you try to watch or read about it is hilariously pro-ranger and usually racist, so that fact gets downplayed entirely because uhh rumors that some actually did get shot and die.

Hilltop Shootout in Tacoma. Two groups of morons bumbing chests until it exploded into hundreds of bullets flying through a neighborhood. Some thought that people might've gotten winged or shot and retreated, but no one is thought to have died. Rangers love jacking themselves off over it, but it was essentially a gang fight that got way out of control.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

DynamicSloth posted:

The second in a series of articles from Graeme Wood for the Atlantic, strenuously underlining the premise of the first, "Clarence Thomas’s billionaire friend is no Nazi".

well he has financial control over a supreme court justice and his family but since he's only nazi adjacent its fine

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Pistol_Pete posted:

If you're out by yourself on some unfamiliar hillside and a bunch of dudes who know the area get the jump on you, you're probably going to die whether you're a raw conscript or the most super, bad-rear end operator in the world. It's not like their elite status gave them the ability to magically levitate themselves away to safety.

a super bad rear end operator simply wouldn’t let someone else get the jump

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DynamicSloth posted:

Must've laid down some long green to a big PR firm so that the Atlantic would put out some puff pieces and whitewash his fascism and the fact that he bribed the hell out of a SCOTUS judge.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yakubin at it again

https://twitter.com/jacobin/status/1661043057792516097

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Vomik posted:

a super bad rear end operator simply wouldn’t let someone else get the jump

I like super bad rear end operators who don't die.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Why are they called "operators"? Sounds dumb as hell.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
it’s shorter than “people who do stuff or at least try to”

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

cat botherer posted:

Why are they called "operators"? Sounds dumb as hell.

Soldiers can do war crimes, operators are expected to.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The reacts are nothing butt people bodying them.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

jack-off bin

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

yellowcar posted:

jack-off bin

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

There really isn't another good thread for this but lol at the money people were given after they leave the wikipedia organization, and alos where they go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2023-05-22/News_and_notes

jimbo wales is a big anti corbyn guy

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

babypolis posted:

its also incomprehensible in terms of geography. i like the part when they are going down the hill on horseback and then suddenly they are shooting from cover

That's just what Afghanistan is like. As a country in the domain of Chaos, its state is in constant flux. Everyone within its borders is perpetually both dead and alive. In fact, the concept of "the borders of Afghanistan" is itself a paradox. How can borders exist in a country where space itself is inconsistent?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/atomly/status/1661090508847071233?s=20

lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

exmarx posted:

jimbo wales is a big anti corbyn guy

He's an unironic centrist, I remember a twitter exchange he was a part of a long time ago where he talked about how communism and fascism were both bad.

e: found it, lmao

https://twitter.com/jimmy_wales/status/1175904345126330368?lang=en

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Communist_Party_of_Wikipedia

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

The reacts are nothing butt people bodying them.

The article is very funny. Its thesis is basically "actually some of the landlords worked hard to achieve their position of rent-seeking, and China was wrong to apply such a simplistic class understanding to their situation." It's basically the landlord equivalent of people who are like "getting rid of the health insurance industry would be unfair for the people who trained to be actuaries." Like yeah, maybe it sucks if you busted your rear end to become someone who profits from that status quo, but what alternative is there? You either forcibly take the landlord's stuff or allow them to continue rent-seeking. The "nice" option this guy appears to prefer doesn't exist.