Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
vince russo doesnt care about plot or characters the only thing he knows how to do is write stupid plot twists to try and shock the viewers and pole matches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Wait, TK is actually, sincerely the OP of that thread??

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
aew is a goon project

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Russo never figured out that the Jerry Springer Show literally directed the audience on when to cheer and chant and whoop because he’s a loving idiot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince russo doesnt care about plot or characters the only thing he knows how to do is write stupid plot twists to try and shock the viewers and pole matches

"Bro, car crash TV, bro."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

The OP was a user named Coach Tony K and I've never seen it disproven, so maybe?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Integrated Houston posted:

Russo never figured out that the Jerry Springer Show literally directed the audience on when to cheer and chant and whoop because he’s a loving idiot.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The OP was a user named Coach Tony K and I've never seen it disproven, so maybe?

I believe it’s also known for a fact that he was a DVDR poster, and I seem to remember him bringing up the sleaze thread in an interview, but I might be hallucinating that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

iamsosmrt posted:

I have no idea why anyone believes that Tsuyoshi Kosaka would release a list of wrestling rumours.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Listening to a baby doll interview and when asked who was the biggest partner st the bar she saidbit was Ric Flair who would close down any bar they went to unless he meet a women then he would go back to the hotel with her and be back in an hour or 2.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

iamsosmrt posted:

Tim Kaine's got the dirt, brother

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

If he hadn't talked about DVDR multiple times already you'd be able to put the pieces together by how he booked CM Punk using Miseria Cantare for a special entrance the exact way everyone online fantasy booked it back in, like, 2010, and then he immediately followed it up by putting BREE WOO Jarrett on TV. It's such a funny bit of lore. AEW is made for an audience of two: people who were deep in the indies and wrestling in-jokes in, like, 2006-2012, and people who thought WCW kinda whipped rear end even when it sucked. And unfortunately I am exactly the demographic for it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t think he mentioned the sleaze thread explicitly but
did reveal his username was Coach Tony K, and that’s the OP of the sleaze thread so it’s a Ryback-level brain teaser to connect the dots.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
goldberg made the thread

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

goldberg made the thread

My head cannon is this is referring to UFC announcer Mike Goldberg and not Bill.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I hope the item about Norman Smiley knocking out Rick Steiner with one punch during a bar fight is true

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
All the Norman things are true, especially this one. he's the best.

441. After a show Juvi was banging some prostitue high as a kite with Norman Smiley in the bed next to his all while doing running commentary while watching his own match he was just in on TV.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's a video where Raven goes through a chunk of the list with someone. I want to say HTM. And they discuss the veracity of the various claims.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Shawn Michaels really did get beat up at that bar in Syracuse, right?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's a video where Raven goes through a chunk of the list with someone. I want to say HTM. And they discuss the veracity of the various claims.

some call it the most libelous podcast episode ever recorded

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

haljordan posted:

Shawn Michaels really did get beat up at that bar in Syracuse, right?

Yes. Sometimes the story turns into Shawn fighting off a whole Marine squadron at one point and not one or two jarheads probably just sick of Shawn. The Behind the Bastards podcast, in the midst of its six part look at Vince McMahon, is funnier in hindsight as Vince himself loves to brag about how he in his small town with a Marine army base also used to beat up Marines for fun. (Like 90% of what Vince says, this turns out to be a lie.)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Yes. Sometimes the story turns into Shawn fighting off a whole Marine squadron at one point and not one or two jarheads probably just sick of Shawn. The Behind the Bastards podcast, in the midst of its six part look at Vince McMahon, is funnier in hindsight as Vince himself loves to brag about how he in his small town with a Marine army base also used to beat up Marines for fun. (Like 90% of what Vince says, this turns out to be a lie.)

Vince also probably thinks the movie "Road House" was a documentary.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

haljordan posted:

Vince also probably thinks the movie "Road House" was a documentary.

it was

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don’t think he mentioned the sleaze thread explicitly but
did reveal his username was Coach Tony K, and that’s the OP of the sleaze thread so it’s a Ryback-level brain teaser to connect the dots.

A while back Phil Schneider (who wrote for the DVDVR back in the day) had a podcast to accompany his book about the best bloody matches in wrestling history, Way of the Blade. Anyway, one of the episodes had Tony on to talk about DiBiase vs Flair from Mid-South and I think he does specifically mention starting the sleaze thread in that.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
The Crime in Sports podcast does a wrestler every few months and the last one they did was John "Berserker" Nord. There was some craziness, but the craziest thing to me was he made 100k the final year he was in WCW and wrestled maybe a dozen matches.

Also it's sort of amazing how everywhere he showed up was either just before the company died or during a huge down period.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

syzpid posted:

The Crime in Sports podcast does a wrestler every few months and the last one they did was John "Berserker" Nord. There was some craziness, but the craziest thing to me was he made 100k the final year he was in WCW and wrestled maybe a dozen matches.

Also it's sort of amazing how everywhere he showed up was either just before the company died or during a huge down period.

Lanny Poffo got paid I think $150,000 to wrestle exactly zero matches for WCW

haljordan fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 24, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

haljordan posted:

Lanny Poffo got paid I think $150,000 to wrestle exactly zero matches for WCW

Same for Iron Sheik, although technically it was the JCP I believe at that point. It was even better as they forgot he was under contract and when they remembered it was late enough they had to pay Sheiky Baby for another year.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Lanny Poffo makes at least some sense to me, cause they planned to use him. Plus your already paying Randy multiple millions a year (I am assuming) so what's 150k to his brother.

But yea, the Sheik contract was hilarious because they sent him home because of how out of shape he was and didn't remember to release him before his contract rolled over.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

nm that was TNA

Jericho apparently wrestled for over a year without a contract, not due to any sort of dispute, but literally because he never bothered to sign the contract after they sent it to him and no one from WCW ever followed up on it

haljordan fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 24, 2023

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

syzpid posted:

Lanny Poffo makes at least some sense to me, cause they planned to use him. Plus your already paying Randy multiple millions a year (I am assuming) so what's 150k to his brother.

I forget where I heard it but they didn't really have a plan for lanny. randy just asked to get him a job during negotiations when he was being signed and they said sure since lanny was well within the budget they were willing to spend on savage

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

little munchkin posted:

I forget where I heard it but they didn't really have a plan for lanny. randy just asked to get him a job during negotiations when he was being signed and they said sure since lanny was well within the budget they were willing to spend on savage

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well: If WCW really wanted Randy they'd have to give his brother a (basically) no show job.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 24, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

haljordan posted:

nm that was TNA

Jericho apparently wrestled for over a year without a contract, not due to any sort of dispute, but literally because he never bothered to sign the contract after they sent it to him and no one from WCW ever followed up on it

Didn't Jericho not exactly press the issue because he was hoping he could make the jump to WWE?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't Jericho not exactly press the issue because he was hoping he could make the jump to WWE?

Pretty much. I don't think he had any real desire to stay at WCW, especially after they offered him less than half of what Stevie Ray was earning at the time. You'd figure someone in the legal department would've eventually figured out they didn't have a valid contract on file though lol

There's also another story about his fiancée buying a Jericho-Malenko doll set at a store and it rang up as a Hogan-Sting package on the receipt (which Jericho got no money for). Whether this was WCW purposefully screwing him over, or just incompetence by that toy store I'm not sure.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 24, 2023

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There's also the story of Hogan(?) pushing to get Jericho into the nWo and Jericho wisely saying no to that because by that time he realized that was how they were keeping people from moving up the card.

Could be misrembering a lot of that, mind you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

haljordan posted:

Pretty much. I don't think he had any real desire to stay at WCW, especially after they offered him less than half of what Stevie Ray was earning st the time. You'd figure someone in the legal department would've eventually figured out they didn't have a valid contract on file though lol

I do recall (yet another) thing that just killed Chris' interest in working for the company was the culmination of the Goldberg angle where there wasn't even a culmination and Bill had a PPV he was supposed to take off. Being able to take PPVs "off" was always a weird concept for me, especially when you're a big star and in angles.

Angry_Ed posted:

There's also the story of Hogan(?) pushing to get Jericho into the nWo and Jericho wisely saying no to that because by that time he realized that was how they were keeping people from moving up the card.

That and he knew he'd have no time to shine or even wrestle very much. He wanted to do more than the occasional run-in with Scott Norton. The camera at that point literally couldn't have every NWO member in frame together unless it pulled way back or they were posing like it was picture day.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

quote:

''I remember back in '98, one of the suggestions was for me to be in nWo and I was like absolutely not. There's 15 guys in the nWo. They don't need me and I don't need them.''

So yeah he (correctly) assumed that it wouldn't help his career at all and he'd be relegated to putting over guys like Hogan and Nash. Everyone who wasn't one of those two guys would just be fighting over scraps.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Remember when they originally wanted to have Goldberg arrested for raping Ms. Elizabeth during an episode of Nitro and he IMMEDIATELY told them "No loving way" so it got changed to "aggravated stalking"

edit: sorry, doublepost

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I do. Was that the same Nitro where he almost didn't make it to the ring in time because of the arrest, when the police station was down the street from the venue?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I do. Was that the same Nitro where he almost didn't make it to the ring in time because of the arrest, when the police station was down the street from the venue?

It's even better than that, the police station was literally directly across the street from the arena looool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

haljordan posted:

There's also another story about his fiancée buying a Jericho-Malenko doll set at a store and it rang up as a Hogan-Sting package on the receipt (which Jericho got no money for). Whether this was WCW purposefully screwing him over, or just incompetence by that toy store I'm not sure.

It's been mentioned in the thread before, but Jerichos cut would have come from when the store chain bought the figures, not when they rung up on the register. The two sets probably went for the same price and whoever entered it probably just tied both UPCs to the same description/price.