Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Bumhead posted:

What a strange period of our lives the Wii U was.

Imagine being dumb enought to buy a Wii U. :dogstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I keep mine around for Wind Waker, just like I keep my PS5 for Bloodborne.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

PowerBeard posted:

The asynchronous multiplayer was amazing. Husband and I played HyWar and Mario Kart for hours together, me on the TV and him on the gamepad. I can't get him to play anything split screen with me on the Switch because he misses having his own screen.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

The asynchronous multiplayer was amazing. Husband and I played HyWar and Mario Kart for hours together, me on the TV and him on the gamepad. I can't get him to play anything split screen with me on the Switch because he misses having his own screen.

:sever:

All joking aside, I was tempted to buy it at the start for Zombi U, with the whole backpack gimmick making me think of true survival horror, but then it turned out it was kinda dull and not worth it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I didn't purchase the wee woo because the conference they announced it at was so bad it made me mad

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I think the Wii U is the only Nintendo console I have not owned, unless you also count the DSi and 2DS. But that was because my roommate owned one so I had no reason to get it. Do have a couple games for it, funnily enough.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Wii U ruled

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I still got my Wii U - lots of mileage on it. It was alright and a shame it never became a huge hit. I think the big thing though was Nintendo generally failing to do anything interesting with the 2nd screen compared to the DS stuff.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I liked the weird curved edges on the discs

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

PowerBeard posted:

I will genuinely never forget the experience of picking up my pre-ordered Wii U from the store and thinking "poo poo, this is literally just me doing this".

Realising you're wrong while handing over about £450 is quite the thing. I enjoyed ZombiU I guess.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

I still got my Wii U - lots of mileage on it. It was alright and a shame it never became a huge hit. I think the big thing though was Nintendo generally failing to do anything interesting with the 2nd screen compared to the DS stuff.

Mario Maker is better than Mario Maker 2 because of the 2nd screen.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I posted a ton of drawings from Art Academy on Miiverse and had lots of fun interactions that way. Other than that it was a Mario Kart/Smash/3D World machine, which has been supplanted by the Switch now.

I do intend to mod the Wii U sometime and make it my Wii/Gamecube "emulator" box because using wiimotes with the PC can be a pain, but I haven't been too keen to revisit the Wii era of gaming yet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Barreft posted:

Octopath Traveler 2 also

Engage, OT2, Prime, TOTK, etc etc. gamers eating good

Suikoden 1&2 remaster some time later this year as well.

Morpheus posted:

I think the Wii U is the only Nintendo console I have not owned, unless you also count the DSi and 2DS. But that was because my roommate owned one so I had no reason to get it. Do have a couple games for it, funnily enough.

I did the same with XCX. Bought the game, borrowed a WiiU for a bit to play through it. Was disappointed by the ending and a lack of Tatsu death.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/ventus_paladyn/status/1660730559197478913?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Zombiu was the start of a good idea but when your eyes notice the Ubisoft logo you know the chances for this to get a needed sequel are beyond good and evil

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

I liked the weird curved edges on the discs

Maybe the most underrated feature/aspect of a console ever, those discs are weirdly comfortable to handle. Long live the Wii U

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost
Wii U is the quintessential Nintendo console: underpowered hardware with a weird gimmick that no one but Nintendo seems to use well, anemic third party support, and incredible first party games that aren't released fast enough to make the system a smash hit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PowerBeard posted:

:sever:

All joking aside, I was tempted to buy it at the start for Zombi U, with the whole backpack gimmick making me think of true survival horror, but then it turned out it was kinda dull and not worth it.

The multiplayer was fun. One person played a fps and the other spawned zombies at the from above

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bumhead posted:

Remember when it caused the business press to demand Nintendo make all their employees temporary contractors and shift focus to making mobile gacha games?

Fun times

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Thunder Bear posted:

TOTK is GOTY (if not GOAT) but Engage is my personal favorite of the year.

Engage is so extremely win and there's basically nothing i can fault it for. god i love Nintendo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PowerBeard posted:

I got to play a bunch of really fun games and then got to play them again on the Switch. I enjoyed myself.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

symbolic posted:

Engage is so extremely win and there's basically nothing i can fault it for. god i love Nintendo

I feel like I must have been playing Engage wrong because I had really mixed feelings about it. I had a blast with it at first, then by the late game I was just trying to finish it so I could move onto something else. :/

I really wanted to engage (hah) with the mechanics, but I felt like the game was giving me mixed messages a lot of times.

Like for instance the Emblem abilities were really fun! But I didn't feel like I ever had enough points to learn anything but the basic ones. You could get more points by doing the side skirmishes, but those were scaled to your highest level character, so they got really punishing really quickly. I was playing on Casual and thank goodness because those skirmishes would often chew through more than half my army!

I also made the mistake of going in on the Donation mechanic early in the game, so I was incredibly strapped for cash for pretty much the whole game and could never afford to upgrade my weapons. You can get extra money and ore for upgrades from the side skirmishes, but again. They're punishing.

So... yeah. I see all the praise it gets and I wonder what I could have done differently to have a better time with it. :(

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
gaming report:
just want to say we've been having a blast so far with TotK and Mario Kart. Especially once we figured out the jump and slide mechanics in the latter.

I wanted to ask: are there any best practices when it comes to battery usage for the console and the controllers? Keep them charging all the time when not using?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

I feel like I must have been playing Engage wrong because I had really mixed feelings about it. I had a blast with it at first, then by the late game I was just trying to finish it so I could move onto something else. :/

I really wanted to engage (hah) with the mechanics, but I felt like the game was giving me mixed messages a lot of times.

Like for instance the Emblem abilities were really fun! But I didn't feel like I ever had enough points to learn anything but the basic ones. You could get more points by doing the side skirmishes, but those were scaled to your highest level character, so they got really punishing really quickly. I was playing on Casual and thank goodness because those skirmishes would often chew through more than half my army!

I also made the mistake of going in on the Donation mechanic early in the game, so I was incredibly strapped for cash for pretty much the whole game and could never afford to upgrade my weapons. You can get extra money and ore for upgrades from the side skirmishes, but again. They're punishing.

So... yeah. I see all the praise it gets and I wonder what I could have done differently to have a better time with it. :(

sounds like to me you could've not blown all your money on donations immediately. been spacing those out to a comfortable degree. also skirmishes have always been tricky, they only became CBT for me after chapter 11 but even then promoting as many of my main units as i could helped tip the balance back. now granted i'm also on casual and doing those on classic comes off as miserable, but i'm also not someone who likes tweaking/micromanaging stuff more than i have to so that's probably the ticket either way

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dunno if you played with them but some of the later updates added facilities that gave you more leeway when it came to building supports and emblem ability points.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PowerBeard posted:

I was smart enough to get 5 or more free games packed-in and as codes with mine, because Nintendo was going backrupt. Imagine paying for Wii U at retail price or its games at all :laffo:

Yeah, I bought Star Fox and botw. But the rest of the pile I have for it was free! :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

symbolic posted:

sounds like to me you could've not blown all your money on donations immediately. been spacing those out to a comfortable degree. also skirmishes have always been tricky, they only became CBT for me after chapter 11 but even then promoting as many of my main units as i could helped tip the balance back. now granted i'm also on casual and doing those on classic comes off as miserable, but i'm also not someone who likes tweaking/micromanaging stuff more than i have to so that's probably the ticket either way

Yeah I realize now that I shouldn't have spent my money on the donations but I didn't realize that at the time, and by the time I realized it, it was way too late.

Motto posted:

Dunno if you played with them but some of the later updates added facilities that gave you more leeway when it came to building supports and emblem ability points.

Those started trickling in when I was in my "Just want to be done with this loving game" stage. Would have been helpful earlier on, for sure...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah I realize now that I shouldn't have spent my money on the donations but I didn't realize that at the time, and by the time I realized it, it was way too late.

you were wondering what you could've done differently. budgeting both in games and irl, ftw

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Popoto posted:

I wanted to ask: are there any best practices when it comes to battery usage for the console and the controllers? Keep them charging all the time when not using?

i found this:

quote:

Tl;dr: DO charge your Switch early and often. DO NOT drain the battery to 0% every time. DO NOT leave your Switch in a hot car for hours.

I have seen a lot of discussion and some misinformation about how to take care of the batteries in your Nintendo Switch. Let's have a brief discussion. I'll be around in the comments for some Q&A, too.

First, if you don't remember anything else from this long block of text, remember just this: charge your Switch early and often. Here's why.

The Switch (and all of its various controllers) has a Lithium Ion battery (LIB). Think of the LIB as a box with a spring inside of it. The spring wants to push up--that's the stored charge. When you charge the battery, the energy from the wall squishes the spring down, and when it's at 100% charge, the sprinig is compressed all the way down to the bottom of its box. Then, when you undock the Switch and start playing on the go, the spring starts pushing up, slowly uncoiling. When the battery reaches 50% charged, the spring is stretched out, halfway to the top. And, of course, at 0%, the spring is completely stretched out, and it's at the very top of the box. It has no more energy to give. Plugging it back in pushes the spring back down toward the bottom of its box.

Over time, as the LIB is pushed down and stretched out again and again, it will lose some of its springy-ness. On day 1 with your Switch, you'll get about 2-6 hours of play time from your 100% charged battery. But after six months, you can expect that your battery will have a bit less range, maybe 2-5.5 hours or so. How much range you lose depends on how you've taken care of the "springs" inside the LIB. More stretching, and expecially more extreme stretching, will wear it out faster.

Here's the thing about Lithium-Ion Batteries. When they fall below 50%, and get charged up, that causes a bit more wear than charging from, say, 75% back up to 100% again. And leaving the spring stretched out before charging it up again does more damage, too. Try to stop the spring from stretching way out whenever you can--that will help keep the LIB happy for longer. Ideally, you'll keep the battery above 60% at all times, and if it falls below that, you should charge it as soon as you can. There is NO "memory effect" or other reason to intentionally drop the battery down to 0% before charging. Obviously, there will be times that you want to get the full range out of the battery--and that's of course all good. When you're on a long trip and don’t have access to any charger for the whole day, then you'll stretch the battery as far as it can go.

But think about the times that you'll be at home, playing Switch in handheld mode on the couch or in bed. It'll be tempting to just stretch the battery down to 10% or even 0%, and then put the Switch down without charging. That's not good for your battery. You should plug it in ASAP after taking the battery down.

One more piece of advice: keep your battery healthy by avoiding extremely hot or extremely cold temperatures. Leaving your Switch for hours in a car parked in direct sunlight is bad news for the battery. Some third-party cases will trap heat inside the Switch while it charges--definitely not a good idea--so consider taking off any hot (e.g. leather) cases while charging. Cold temps can happen if you head out on a camping adventure, or if you go ice fishing. Just be careful not to let your Switch get too cold at times like that.

Finally, some mythbusting. There's no need to "train" your battery by charging it to 100% before first use. (There's nothing wrong with charging it up before playing, except your hype levels may be impossible to contain.) Again, there's no reason to routinely run your battery down to 0% before charging it to 100%. (This is a very common myth that is extremely damaging to LIB!) And your battery won't last forever; it will eventually need to be replaced. Nintendo will offer a service for this, but you want to keep your battery happy to keep your Switch running great for years to come.

EDIT2: Mythbusting on "overcharging" and keeping the Switch docked at 100%: The Switch will not overcharge the battery. It is designed for long play sessions while docked, in TV Mode, with the battery at 100%. This is OK for the battery, even though it is technically true that you can maximize lifespan by keeping the battery charged lower than 100%. But because the Switch is designed for Dock use, you should plan to just leave your Switch plugged in overnight, or for days, while at 100%. The risk of parasitic load causing extra wear is real, but for most players, that is an unavoidable and acceptable risk to enable uninterrupted TV Mode play. Source: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

EDIT: More info and source for this advice: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5ug9n1/how_to_take_care_of_the_battery_in_your_switch/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is this generally the same for phones as well?if so, gently caress....

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Pretty much, yeah.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think just use the batteries normally until they go bad and then replace them yourself. They’re pretty easy to swap unlike most phones

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

hatty posted:

They’re pretty easy to swap unlike most phones

Good to know

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Bumhead posted:

The best years of our lives.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Do not janitor your loving batteries and devices. Just charge whenever.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is this generally the same for phones as well?if so, gently caress....
If my phone had wireless charging I might make a point of charging it during the day (i.e., have a charger on my work desk I can put it on). Otherwise I avoid charging my phone during the day because I try to minimize the number of cycles I put on the USB port.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I had a coworker that was utterly convinced the Wii U was a special controller for the Wii. He was a very casual gamer who got into gaming thanks to Wii Sports, but no matter how many times I clarified he didn't grasp it was a whole other thing

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Do not janitor your loving batteries and devices. Just charge whenever.

This

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yah whoever wrote that has anxiety issues, never given a poo poo about my battery charging habits my entire life and nothing bad has happened to any laptop cellphone gaming device mp3 player vape etc I've ever owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I was going to post that Battery University link!

Tldr don't store batteries in a hot place. Avoid fast chargers. If you must minmax, keep charge between 20-80%, long term storage around 40-50%.

Also don't stress about it too much I have a Vita from 2012 with original battery and it holds a charge just fine.