Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

Sounds like you had a blast! Those days where you feel like you actively level up are so great, and I can absolutely relate to returning to the local XC spot and feeling underwhelmed.

I drove from Austin to Dallas yesterday to pick up this Banshee Paradox v3 build:

First pic is from the listing and the second is from this morning.

It's possibly a little overforked and I think I might prefer a Pike 130mm vs the current Fox 36 Rhythm. It's my first dropper post and also seems like it might take a few rides to get used to the modern geo.

The bars feel very close comparatively and it feels like it's harder to pull on the bars proper to sprint uphill, otherwise having an absolute blast and can't wait to hit up Spider Mountain.

I have a new/take off 130mm Fox 34 performance for sale if you're interested :wink:
Let me know if you want me to make a sa-mart thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I had a massive crush, ver luckily only got scrapes and bruises. How do I get confidence when riding back?

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

the unabonger posted:

I had a massive crush, ver luckily only got scrapes and bruises. How do I get confidence when riding back?

if you’re scared to do something, do it scared

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Just confess to your crush and get it over with

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

the unabonger posted:

Dinner and a movie

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I have a new/take off 130mm Fox 34 performance for sale if you're interested :wink:
Let me know if you want me to make a sa-mart thread

I have all this new bike excitement clouding my judgement and, at this very moment, I don't know poo poo about forks. I've got a lot of reading to do before I drop any more cash.

I'm so used to 100mm travel and so far my only thoughts on the Fox 36 'Rhythm' are "holy poo poo this is plush". Which, come to find out, it's 170mm, when the ad listed it as "150mm Fox 36".

The rest of the build was spot on with everything brand new, but I'm feeling a little bamboozled. I suppose it's time to start hitting up the bike park a bit more often.

COOKIE DELIGHT fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 23, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

I have all this new bike excitement clouding my judgement and, at this very moment, I don't know poo poo about forks. I've got a lot of reading to do before I drop any more cash.

I'm so used to 100mm travel and so far my only thoughts on the Fox 36 'Rhythm' are "holy poo poo this is plush". Which, come to find out, it's 170mm, when the ad listed it as "150mm Fox 36".

The rest of the build was spot on with everything brand new, but I'm feeling a little bamboozled. I suppose it's time to start hitting up the bike park a bit more often.

FYI you can change out the damper and travel length without spending as much for a whole new fork. That seems silly to have that travel on a hard tail.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

FYI you can change out the damper and travel length without spending as much for a whole new fork. That seems silly to have that travel on a hard tail.

Ah that's great to know, appreciate it. 170 is definitely silly mode, makes no sense for most of what I ride and outside of the frame spec.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

Ah that's great to know, appreciate it. 170 is definitely silly mode, makes no sense for most of what I ride and outside of the frame spec.

New air shafts are pretty cheap, and it’s a good occasion to do a lowers service if you don’t know when the previous owner last did one.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

Are you sure it's 170mm? If they listed it at 150mm they might have set it that way. You can change the travel in that fork, and what you measure on the stanchion might not represent the actual fork travel.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

the unabonger posted:

Just getting saddle time and making sure you don't avoid the type of thing you were doing when you crashed, as that will reinforce your anxiety around it.

Whenever I crash I try to ride the feature that same day just so I'm not rolling up to it cold another day. Doesn't always happen but it makes a big difference to me when I'm able to literally get over it. I posted a video in here of me eating poo poo on some rocks at whistler and I still find it hard to confidently take speed into that part of that trail.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006

VacaGrande posted:

Are you sure it's 170mm? If they listed it at 150mm they might have set it that way. You can change the travel in that fork, and what you measure on the stanchion might not represent the actual fork travel.

If that's the case then I'm probably mistaken, I had only measured the exposed stanchions. I found the manual and, measuring the crown to the bottom of the lowers, it lines up with a 160mm version.

There's so much to learn and I've got a long way to go, so I appreciate everyone's help.

Other notes on the new ride..

Even compared to the angry bee buzz of my Chris King ISO hubs, the Nukeproof Horizon v2 hub is insanely loud.

The Terevail Ehline 'light and supple' tires have gotta go. I'm used to running Ardent front with Ikon or Rekons, but might try something besides Maxxis this time around just to experiment a bit. Has cushcore in the rear, which wasn't mentioned in the ad but a nice bonus.

Came upon the frame thanks to Hardtail Party but the "muted" sound/feeling over chunk is spot on, a welcome change from getting rattled constantly on my weight weenie bike.

COOKIE DELIGHT fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 23, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
> polished SLX cranks

How do those look up up close?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

the unabonger posted:

I’ve found that overdoing it with armor works well. I never regret gearing up ridiculously even for XC. If I’m going fast, I want pads everywhere and a full-face.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Macnult posted:

if you’re scared to do something, do it scared

VelociBacon posted:

Just getting saddle time and making sure you don't avoid the type of thing you were doing when you crashed, as that will reinforce your anxiety around it.

Whenever I crash I try to ride the feature that same day just so I'm not rolling up to it cold another day. Doesn't always happen but it makes a big difference to me when I'm able to literally get over it. I posted a video in here of me eating poo poo on some rocks at whistler and I still find it hard to confidently take speed into that part of that trail.

vote_no posted:

I’ve found that overdoing it with armor works well. I never regret gearing up ridiculously even for XC. If I’m going fast, I want pads everywhere and a full-face.

Ty for the advice.

Car Hater posted:

Just confess to your crush and get it over with

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Dinner and a movie

Also lol.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

> polished SLX cranks

How do those look up up close?

Looks like a rushed DIY job, seemed like he was going for the no logos vibe. He had pics of the bike with similarly 'polished' Deity bars but he had pulled those before the sale.

The dark spots are areas that he missed and I tried to get close enough where you can see the scratched up appearance.

Second ride thoughts:

Is it normal to want to drop the dropper all the way down before super chunky techy sections? I'm used to having my seat slammed and a 90mm stem, unless I drop it I can't pull and push the bars as easily to pump up and over gigantic rocks. Can't tell if it's my muscles not being used to the geo, if I need a longer stem (40mm currently) or of it's ideal to slam the seat to get low and more behind the bars.

Slow speed super chunk was a lot more exhausting than on my Scott Scale but I'm also out of shape. Bike seems to really come alive at top trail speed and I'm currently not in shape to hit 15mph on flat chunky trails.

COOKIE DELIGHT fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 23, 2023

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

the unabonger posted:

Ty for the advice.

Also lol.

Glad you took it in stride :c00l: but in all seriousness, the mind is a strong thing to conquer, and that's where all the trouble lies. Once you force your brain to remember that what you're doing is insanely fun AND scary at the same time, you'll get back into it pretty quick.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

Second ride thoughts:

Is it normal to want to drop the dropper all the way down before super chunky techy sections? I'm used to having my seat slammed and a 90mm stem, unless I drop it I can't pull and push the bars as easily to pump up and over gigantic rocks. Can't tell if it's my muscles not being used to the geo, if I need a longer stem (40mm currently) or of it's ideal to slam the seat to get low and more behind the bars.

Drop it like it's hot.

Really though experiment. All the way down, part of the way, etc. When i was visiting South East Michigan i was riding with a buddy who was basically never dropping it. I made him follow me and he was just like, dude you drop it so drat much. Yup. Get that fucker out of the way.

vote_no posted:

I always wear knee pads. Love having them on.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

Second ride thoughts:

Is it normal to want to drop the dropper all the way down before super chunky techy sections?

That's what it's there for, right?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

spwrozek posted:

When i was visiting South East Michigan i was riding with a buddy who was basically never dropping it. I made him follow me and he was just like, dude you drop it so drat much. Yup. Get that fucker out of the way.
I do the same, all or nothing on dropping it. Just sort of becomes habit on chunk or descents and I'm using it for turns to get more lean, etc. You'll get used to it.

I try to remember sections of the trail more now where I don't need to drop it (blind turns and remembering what's around the bend) so I can keep hammering the pedals. I probably use it too much but it's the "better safe than sorry" in most scenarios for me if I don't know what's coming.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 24, 2023

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Can I just buy whatever knee pads off Amazon or do I need good ones?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

prom candy posted:

If you buy pads that aren't comfortable you'll just leave them at home and never use them. Because pads are basically all pretty good I always tell people this is one of those things you should go to a bike shop for and try on a bunch of stuff and buy whatever is most comfortable for you while meeting your protection requirements.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

prom candy posted:

Buy once, cry once. Spend a little bit on something that isn't crap and will be comfortable. Personally, I use the POC VPD 2.0, they're kind of cumbersome to put on and take off, I know ISX makes pads with zippers for easy access without removing shoes :science:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Check out the old version raceface ambush knees. $60 on their website on sale. Velcros all the way off so no pulling over shoes stays tight and where you put them too. Not too bad to pedal in but if you'll be mashing for a while you can take them off and put them on your bars for the climb then put back on for the downhill.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Buy once, cry once. Spend a little bit on something that isn't crap and will be comfortable. Personally, I use the POC VPD 2.0, they're kind of cumbersome to put on and take off, I know ISX makes pads with zippers for easy access without removing shoes :science:

I have the same pads and like them. They are a little bulky but have been very solid so far

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

prom candy posted:

If there's a place in person to try them on, do that. Every brand seems to size a little different and I've not had good luck guessing right the first time. And so I usually never wear them. :v:

VelociBacon posted:

If you buy pads that aren't comfortable you'll just leave them at home and never use them.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Drop it like it's hot.

Really though experiment.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That's what it's there for, right?

Suburban Dad posted:

I try to remember sections of the trail more now where I don't need to drop it (blind turns and remembering what's around the bend) so I can keep hammering the pedals. I probably use it too much but it's the "better safe than sorry" in most scenarios for me if I don't know what's coming.

All very helpful advice. Seems so obvious in hindsight, but I guess I had it in my head the dropper would benefit climbs, while most of the climbing here is chunky.

The seatpost on this is super steep and my height is all torso, so I'm strongly considering increasing the stem beyond 40mm to have better leverage. The stack is crazy high, so it remains to be seen whether I'll regret that.

Looks like I can retire the timber bell for most situations since, despite my most careful slow approach, hikers are jumping out of the way at the sound of the Nukeproof hub. Probably would prefer to go silent for all future hub purchases.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My hub isn't crazy loud but people do love to jump out the way. I think a lot of mountain bikers pull up on people way to fast and are too impatient. I just slow way way way down but people still panic like they are a problem. But i also don't care about a PR on Strava.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Is it really that bad having a kickstand on a MTB? Will people laugh at me? (Asking for a friend)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Quizzlefish posted:

Is it really that bad having a kickstand on a MTB? Will people laugh at me? (Asking for a friend)

Yeah it's pretty bad. Why do you feel like you need one? Just gently put the bike down when you're stopped and off the bike. They bang around and can accidentally deploy, etc. If you're not doing serious MTB and just going cruising on gravel paths or something then who cares I guess.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Cargo bike is the only acceptable kickstand scenario, sorry.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Well I was planning on putting one of those kids ride shotgun seats on for the little one. Just thought it would be a lot easier when getting the kid on and off, but perhaps not...

Then I plan to hit the trails but relatively gentle ones to start with and see how she gets on.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Re: crashing I find if it's because I washed out on a turn then it really fucks with my head (still really hard for me to commit to turns sometimes because of it) but if it's just kind of "well poo poo that happened" thing then I can get over it pretty fast.
I went OTB this past weekend but was fine and just got some cosmetic scratches on my bars. On an otherwise unremarkable bit of trail a tree branch just grabbed my hand/bar and I think my over correction got my front wheel too sideways and hit a rock. I was a bit tentative the rest of the trail down (which was kind of rowdy in spots anyways) but generally it's like...I didn't really do something wrong where I need to question my skills so much as poo poo happens and just not assume that every tree branch can be punched out of the way

spwrozek posted:

My hub isn't crazy loud but people do love to jump out the way. I think a lot of mountain bikers pull up on people way to fast and are too impatient. I just slow way way way down but people still panic like they are a problem. But i also don't care about a PR on Strava.

I got new wheels with Hydras and it apparently scared the crap out of some people the other weekend as I was coming down the trail as they were leaping out of the way far far in advance of me even getting close to them. I rolled by slowly and they commented that my bike was loud

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Downhill talk:

What should I be doing body armor wise?
I’m good on knees/elbows but I saw a lot of more extensive armor and neck bracing

I’m mostly doing blues, pretty rocky terrain (PA mountains)

Should I up my game? My gut says yes but maybe I’m getting ahead of myself?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Walked posted:

Downhill talk:

What should I be doing body armor wise?
I’m good on knees/elbows but I saw a lot of more extensive armor and neck bracing

I’m mostly doing blues, pretty rocky terrain (PA mountains)

Should I up my game? My gut says yes but maybe I’m getting ahead of myself?

If you're just getting started with DH I think it's really when you should be wearing the most armor. Really we should all be wearing more armor all the time but as a new DH rider I think it's crucial. I don't think the type of trail you ride is super important or relevant to armor - I ride double blacks and have had some of my worst crashes on blue trails where I just got caught out. Often the black trails are actually a lot slower than blue trails so the mechanism of injury can be less.

Because it's armor I think this falls into the "go to a shop and try stuff on and see what you like" category. I would say that elbow armor is one of the more important upper body areas, but you can actually get a lot of these zip-up upper body armor sets that cover all the right areas with appropriate protection and also does this for your spine.

I don't have a strong opinion on neck braces - I don't use them personally. I believe the current evidence is that they are effective at preventing some (most?) neck/c-spine injuries but also fracture collarbones more frequently.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I honestly find this such a hard question to answer. I always wear knee pads. Only elbow pads at the park, and i should probably own a full face but i don't...

The reality is i go to the bike park 1-2 times a year and a ton of the trails i ride not at the park with just knee pads are way harder, more dangerous, etc.

I probably should have one of those helmets with a removable chin bar.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Quizzlefish posted:

Well I was planning on putting one of those kids ride shotgun seats on for the little one. Just thought it would be a lot easier when getting the kid on and off, but perhaps not...

Then I plan to hit the trails but relatively gentle ones to start with and see how she gets on.

I've got one of those for my daughter and she loves it. I wouldn't rely on a kickstand to hold her weight and the bike though, especially if she is squirming around. Either lift her on and off while you are standing over the bike, or stand beside it and always have one hand on the bars and lift her with the other.

You won't regret the seat though, I take my daughter all over the place on ours, though nothing really like mtb trails. If it's time to go fast I say "I feel the need" and she'll grin and say "da need for speed" and then we zoom:)

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

What's the thread consensus on tire sealant?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Real happy with Stans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Eejit posted:

What's the thread consensus on tire sealant?

Orange Seal Endurance.

Quizzlefish posted:

I wouldn’t put a clamp style kickstand on a frame not designed for one. Easy to over torque and damage the stay.