Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I my case I use the official versions because I've gotten old and no longer have the patience to fiddle around with GZDoom settings or figuring out the correct way to get things working with ZDL

Exactly this

Do you need to fiddle a lot with gzdoom? I think it only needs a single setting to touch: change the texture filtering used by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
And disable freelook, jump, and crouch. :colbert:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

1stGear posted:

And disable freelook, jump, and crouch. :colbert:

Freelook is always enabled :agesilaus:, jump and crouch I leave it as default, that's enough for them not to work if the wad doesn't need them, and will enable themselves if the wad/pk3 has whatever flag indicating it does need them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Turin Turambar posted:

Do you need to fiddle a lot with gzdoom? I think it only needs a single setting to touch: change the texture filtering used by default.

Off the top of my head:

1. Filtering
2. Bloom
3. Other post processing
4. Enhanced night vision
6. I change lighting back to “doom” or whatever the normal is supposed to be
7. Configure controller
8. HUD scaling
9. Probably some poo poo I’m forgetting.

And after all that I still prefer how the re-releases look and feel.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

chaosapiant posted:

6. I change lighting back to “doom” or whatever the normal is supposed to be

I believe "Software" is the normal one? I honestly lost track myself because they keep trying to do it over with more complex shaders, yet inexplicably keep all the existing styles.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rocket Pan posted:

I believe "Software" is the normal one? I honestly lost track myself because they keep trying to do it over with more complex shaders, yet inexplicably keep all the existing styles.

Yep, it's the most 'accurate' one with respect how the og Doom works. Not sure if that's the default or not.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Turin Turambar posted:

Yep, it's the most 'accurate' one with respect how the og Doom works. Not sure if that's the default or not.

Dark is the default (or, that was what a fresh install of 4.10.0 just defaulted to).

I'm kind of in awe of the full list, though. You really need to do work to produce UX this bad:

Dark
Doom Legacy
Build
Software
Vanilla
Standard
Bright
Doom

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I know they have to balance WAD support and performance on old devices but it always bugs me that nothing indicates that "Software" is The Good One. And several (most?) of the names are synonyms.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm wrapping up the first episode of HROT and I can definitely agree with these sentiments, which bother me more than anything else thus far. I know people have defended the palette by saying it's thematically appropriate for a dreary Soviet-era FPS but...I don't know, it just strikes me as more boring than anything. To each their own.

I felt this way early on but it grew on me as it went on and it really clicked for me (I played all of Episode 2 and 3 on Sunday) but I would love to see this guy's follow-up.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

I went through all this fairly recently. The three "must" change settings for GZDoom are to set "Texture Filter mode" to one of the "None" options (I use "None (trilinear)"), and both "Sector light mode" and "Fuzz Style" to "Software". That gets to like 80% of the look of vanilla DOOM, but there's still things like mouselook, jump, and crouch (all of which you can just ignore), and a handful of minor things like particles, transparent fireballs (a Boom thing?), bullet holes, bobbing item pickups, etc. Some of it is just accepting that GZDoom is a different "interpretation" of DOOM than vanilla, but I at least want the options set that result in vanilla maps reasonably looking the way they should look.

Beyond that I do actually like GZDoom's hardware render look as it's own thing, and obviously on ZDoom maps. Aside from the trilinear mipmapping I leave the anisotrophic filter enabled and turn in 4x MSAA.

Meanwhile DSDA-Doom comes with vanilla options out of the box. I believe it defaults to a software renderer out of the box, but it's generally recommended now to use the OpenGL as they've recently implemented indexed lighting so it basically looks like the software renderer, just done in hardware (and with an arguably better fuzz effect).

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

No hardware renderer ever looks just like s software renderer, in my experience. The Doom software renderer is fast even on older machines and modern ports have backends to make it work flawlessly with modern desktop environments so there is no reason not to use the real thing for map sets that don't specifically require hardware--and those are almost all GZDoom sets anyway.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, I’m sure hardware rendering can get super close so as you never really notice the difference, but that goes back to my original question of whether some wads can work with the new port. The new rerelease works flawlessly out of the box and feels great to play.

I’ve still got my GZDoom setup going for when it’s needed, but I prefer to play in the original when I can get away with it. A lot of Doom’s foreboding atmosphere is lost when playing with super clear and crisp graphics, imo.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

One of the reasons I ise Woof is that it was the first Boom compatible port to offer 320x200 (and variations for other aspect ratios like 426x200 in 16:9), beating DSDA by at keast a few months.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Woolie Wool posted:

No hardware renderer ever looks just like s software renderer, in my experience.
DSDA gets close to the point where I can't tell the difference if there isn't a specter nearby:

DSDA-Doom v0.25 Patch Notes posted:

Xaser has implemented a new light mode for opengl that closely replicates the visuals of the software renderer. It uses the software palette system (including the pain palette and gamma) and can replicate previously software-exclusive effects like fake fog (recently seen in wormwood 4 map 5). This is the new default for opengl and combines the accuracy of software with the performance of hardware. Enjoy!
And even the issue with the fuzz effect is that the way it's implemented in software doesn't scale up well past VGA resolutions, while the shader implementation attempts to replicate the original crunchiness.

Woolie Wool posted:

The Doom software renderer is fast even on older machines and modern ports have backends to make it work flawlessly with modern desktop environments so there is no reason not to use the real thing for map sets that don't specifically require hardware--and those are almost all GZDoom sets anyway.
I use the Vulkan renderer in GZDoom because if I'm using GZDoom it's either for ZDoom-specific maps or mods, or because I want to play vanilla content GZDoom-style.

I've mentioned it before, but I like the International Doom port for IWAD/vanilla/limit-removing content, which is software only and has pretty good defaults. It uses a modified gamma to replicate the darkness of CRTs on modern LCDs, but since the screen the Deck isn't great I turn that back up, and it also inexplicably disables fake contrast which I turn back on. Otherwise it's a good port, do recommend.

DSDA is the weird one. PrBoom's OpenGL renderer has a long history, but it's essentially look-for-look parity with its software renderer now, the latter of which is default anyways. I guess there's some massive maps that still run better in hardware, and I prefer the shader-based fuzz effect. If I didn't regularly use a different port exclusively for software rendering then maybe I'd use it here too. It's really a tossup though.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 23, 2023

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Nightdive plz make BLOOD action figures, my work desk is crying out for burlap cultists.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Boltgun is being liked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ihFqdLSnk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiUx2ntrjj4

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh gently caress yeah, I'm glad to hear it's not going to be like Doomy Turtle with the "every enemy is a puzzle to solve" nonsense, I had a small fear that it might turn into that.

Guess I'm buying myself a birthday present.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Deakul posted:

Doomy Turtle

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Thank god cos this looks loving great. Also skillup reviewing in ultrawide is poo poo.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

That's what the gently caress it's called. Also, I think the "enemies are a puzzle" thing is really really overstated. I'm part way through the DLC now after completing the campaign, and while there's better/worse ways to deal with things, the player has options aplenty. Doomy Turtle is awesome.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I just got the joke, that's terrible.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Doom Eternal enemy puzzles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQKrmDLvijo

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Power Walrus posted:

Nightdive plz make BLOOD action figures, my work desk is crying out for burlap cultists.

there's a caleb one in the blood: fresh supply limited edition, if you have $150 and a time machine to last year

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm still curious to see how that mousepad holds up over time

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Good to hear. I need a loving break from ultrakill, poo poo's frustratingly hard.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Off the top of my head I can't remember what the filtering mode is called, but the most recent versions of GZDoom have some filtering options that finally look good enough for me to use instead of the no-filter mode. I do still like to keep separate .bat files on hand if I want to switch to a more pure experience, but they've come a long way from the blurry mess they used to be.

(Especially for stuff like Back To Saturn X which is almost all new textures anyway.)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Boltgun early impressions:

-controls good, movement good (the trailer could look slightly slow but it's decent while playing it, and you have infinite sprint button and a charge button)
-performance good (seems silly to say it, but it wouldn't be the first "retro" game with surprisingly bad performance for what it offers). Here the gpu is doing 34-37% of utilization to get 120 fps.
-There are manual saves and quicksaves. Some checkpoints too.
-On Hard more, playing without a lot of care, I already died on the second level. But once I started to play more seriously, I'm not having problems advancing. I doubt it's going to be a hard game. Ammo scarcity doesn't seem to be a thing, either. At the end of the day, it leans hard on the power fantasy to being a SPACE MARINE, so yeah.
-It's cool how the chainsaw works, it really is a bit like the shotgun-hook in DE: you hold a button that slow down time, look at a enemy at what it feels around 13 mts or less, and release the button, and you dash-attack to him. Which is an air-dash if you were in the air, in mid jump!
-Enemies aim to your future position, more or less, not where you were at the time of firing (edit the chaos demons doesn't seem to behave this way). Their bullets have a nice red bright touch so they are very visible when they are closer.
-There are 24 levels, the first two are fairly short, but I expect they will be longer now.
-Cultists are 1 hit paper enemies, but a few of them have melt guns that can gently caress you up. Chaos Marines are similar in danger but a magnitude tankier. Terminators are tougher and with faster RoF, which can be a pain in the rear end if accompanied by other enemies, but they can be fairly well stunlocked on their own. I found some chaos demons that would spit at you some green goop, and others that are bit more like imps or hell knights, with projectiles of similar speed. The demon who splits in two small demons is cool.
-Visually speaking, it does a weird thing where some texture are done with big chunky pixels... just to look more retro, lol. It doesn't make sense because they are close to other textures where the pixel size is clearly around 3-4 times smaller.
-Level design is ... eh. I'm advancing linearly most of the time, breezing through, so it's hard to notice a level design to comment.
-I don't like the armor, it's basically a second health pool which has too be depleted before your real health can be touched.
-Your health/armor is reset upon reaching the next level.
-The plasma gun has a bit of AoE damage, also to you, so it’s a bit like a mini rocket launcher.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 23, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You can turn off the pixelization on the Retro options btw

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How do ya'll play Doom 64? With the filtering on or off? Off always looks better to me, but since it was an N64 game, filtering is the way it was "intended" to be played.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

GuyonthecoucH posted:

The reflect thing is a bug that most servers running hlbugfix dlls or mods with gauss have it fixed. It's definitely based on the angel you are looking at a specific surface with how repeatable it is. The gap fix makes sense since it doesn't try to pierce multiple walls that are more than 8 units apart if my memory is accurate.

Shooting lights and such kinda makes sense if it means headshot damage coming into play, the multiplier is 3x! It's been a while since I looked at how it works but I think it draws a wide cone on the other side of the surface you shoot, the bounce mechanic probably gets mixed in with this and you have deadly light fixtures and easy shots to hit through walls.

A duel on crossfire turns into chaining together as many spawn kills as possible from the middle of the map with efficient use of wall gauss, nuking as it was called :okboomer:. All while keeping gauss and its ammo controlled. It's such a meat grinder of a game to play.

Crossfire's my favorite hl1 map ever cause somehow there's no shortage of South American players on pirated copies filling the servers. That main courtyard area has such strange balance for tau control, just an easy back and forth, with tons of crossbow ammo laying around too.

Do you know if there's a detailed guide on the splash damage somewhere? I'm convinced anything written on hl1 mechanics besides what you see on twhl just doesn't exist anymore

chaosapiant posted:

How do ya'll play Doom 64? With the filtering on or off? Off always looks better to me, but since it was an N64 game, filtering is the way it was "intended" to be played.

Nightdive actually went through the effort of getting the Doom64's filtering to look close to the N64's 3-point filtering, so I like to keep it enabled

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 23, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

site posted:

You can turn off the pixelization on the Retro options btw

I know, it isn't what I was talking about. That's more like the overall resolution, I'm talking of the texture itself.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i like boltgun a lot so far, im only on the third level, playing on hard, but ive had a chance to play with 3 weapons (boltgun, shotgun, plasma) and all feel good. Might be a little easy so far but I am also probably just overly experienced with FPS games, its always hard to know with retro FPS games if 'hard' means 'hard for general audience' or 'hard for veterans'. Like ultrakill and dusk are very hard on their harder skills, but in like doom and quake the highest 'proper' difficulty skill is kinda the standard.

good stuff:
- makes you feel badass, goes with more the 'lore' side of space marines as an army of doomguys, instead of the tabletop side where they're goobers who die all the time
- taunt button
- guns feel good, blowing guys up is very satisfying
- skull follows you around
- very nice pixel art cutscene intro
- very good enemy sprites, love the frogs
- genuinely feels 90s with stuff like powerups
- its basically the game i wanted as a kid any time i saw 40k box art in Electronics Boutique. those games all turned out to be boring strategy slogs, but this one is rad
- good sense of humor about the setting

non-good-but-not-neccessarily-terrible stuff
- it seems weird that chaos space marines are a semi-common enemy, like cacos in doom.
- some random extra-low res textures (i most remember this big spinning fan that looked like it was from an MSpaint doom mod)
- little bit easy right now but its early days yet for my run

weirdly it reminds me kind of of Hedon, which I also liked a lot

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the frogs are a pain in the rear end

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the frogs are a pain in the rear end

turn off daikatana

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
don't forget to press T to taunt

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

juggalo baby coffin posted:

weirdly it reminds me kind of of Hedon, which I also liked a lot

Well poo poo guess I'm buying it sooner rather than later lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

juggalo baby coffin posted:

- it seems weird that chaos space marines are a semi-common enemy, like cacos in doom.

it makes sense because there are chaos terminators too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
File size is enormous. Levels that big or are there just a ton of them or what's eating up all that space, textures and crap? IDK game design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It sacrifices 1000 bytes to the emperor every time you open it