Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My work likes to "pause" hiring every two weeks, because we over-hired for certain positions (not even at the same factory I work at). They like to do this when I have highly qualified applicants who have completed the interview process and are just waiting for an offer. Last year they did it with a candidate I had worked with directly and was desperate to hire, since he kicks rear end, which was personally embarrassing, right now they're doing it with a massively over-qualified applicant who's willing to take a significant pay cut to GTFO out of their lovely state.

At least it's only a three step hiring process. (Phone interview, real interview, offer/negotiation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pyrtanis posted:

holy fuckballs

I'm so goddamn tired lmao

Dumb poo poo your work does: holy fuckballs I'm so goddamn tired lmao

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Imagine interviewing for retail at 41 and being told you're overqualified.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I did that at 17 and got told I was overqualified, because they thought based on my GCSE’s I put on my CV to pad it out I was gonna get bored of working there and go back to school too soon for it to be worth training me on how to put poo poo on shelves.

I did not go back to school so jokes on them :smuggo:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I've been told I'm overqualified for a job, but also, I was sick of being a manager and wanted to step back for a while so owned I guess

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
At my current place I had a phone interview with my boss. Which was great because he basically told me I had the job. Then a phone interview with his boss. Which lead to them flying me out to interview with both of them in person. Then an HR interview, and one with a senior tech support person. The in person ones at least were all within the same day and thankfully not very long. Unfortunately when they made an offer to me, I made a counter offer. Which my boss agreed to, but it was large enough to require his boss to sign off. And his boss promptly had a heart attack. Which has been a running joke ever since. Boss's boss recovered fine but I did end up delaying my hiring by about a month.

My favorite interview was like two months prior to the first dot com crash when a recruiter got me an interview for an entry level help desk gig at Compaq. Show up and a few minutes in the interview I feel way out of my depth. I'm being quizzed on poo poo like fizzbuzz and various programming questions. I'm really confused. So figuring I'm hosed, I ask if that is the kind of stuff they expect for help desk positions. Now my interviewer is also confused, and we compare resumes. Now I will be the first person to tell someone to lie on a resume, but the recruiter was way beyond that. My entry level C had been altered to show I had been programing for the last five years, and I had some novice experience with Java. Which I did not. The horrifying part is he was willing to offer me the programing job. Please note, it wasn't because I was exceptional or anything. But back then if you were a white man who said he understood computers, IT and programing jobs would fall from the sky. I just really hated coding. I still do beyond the odd bit of Powershell.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

goatface posted:

People not showing up is a side effect of everyone applying for a bajillion jobs at the same time because the hiring processes take forever.

That and the fact that no one contacts you either way any more. I've applied to a couple jobs over the past few years, and been ghosted each time. I'm lucky enough that I'm only applying to jobs I'm interested in doing, but my daughter is having the same problems with jobs she needs for, you know, living.

Submit application, wait, no response. Not even a "Thanks but no thanks" letter that they used to send out when I was a 20 something job candidate. I'm not surprised the younger generations aren't cutting corpos any slack. They've seen the poo poo their parents have dealt with, and they don't want it.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Cowman posted:

So here's something "fun" I just found out from an ex-coworker (pregnant lady who got laid off same time as me probably for being pregnant) who pointed out that the company buying out the company I used to work for is laying off another 150 people.

The whole time up until the mass layoffs, we were reassured constantly that there weren't going to be any layoffs and that it was going to be "business as usual" and that the buying company is very hands off. I mean constantly, the CEO would do townhalls like once a month or so and would reassure us. They had a whole meeting with the execs of the buying company whose whole point was how great the merger would be and how there'd be no layoffs. It was obvious to me that they were lying through their teeth and I completely expected the layoffs but I didn't expect myself to be included.

Just for future reference, if your company is being bought out and they constantly say that it's "business as usual" and that there "won't be any layoffs" or anything of that nature, they're lying and it's gonna be a bloodbath. They just don't want people jumping ship early on or looking for work elsewhere before they're blindsided.

If a company is telling you anything more times than are necessary for people to take it in, it's typically a lie.

Unrelated: can anyone offer my insight into why some companies absolutely insist on touching the fire to see if it's hot?
My division planned (stupid idea). They were told it was a stupid idea by most of the staff. They said "let's try it anyway!". It obviously failed. They asked for feedback. We gave the same comments as before. Suddenly those same comments had become super-useful. Which would have been nice to have happened before the company moderately publicly embarrassed itself.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

BrideOfUglycat posted:

That and the fact that no one contacts you either way any more. I've applied to a couple jobs over the past few years, and been ghosted each time. I'm lucky enough that I'm only applying to jobs I'm interested in doing, but my daughter is having the same problems with jobs she needs for, you know, living.

Submit application, wait, no response. Not even a "Thanks but no thanks" letter that they used to send out when I was a 20 something job candidate. I'm not surprised the younger generations aren't cutting any slack. They've seen the poo poo their parents have dealt with, and they don't want it.

Our recruiting software has baked in "thank you for applying to Company! We are reviewing your application!" Auto-emails, and it's also supposed to send "Thanks for applying! We don't like you, F off!" Emails when resumes are rejected, but that function's broke as hell.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Right after my current job hired me, I got the automated "sorry, we went with another applicant" email. For the position I was just hired for.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

A former boss of mine would hire people seemingly at random, making the decision to hire them immediately after the interview. Then he'd cool on them in a month because they hadn't learned how to brew in that time (these were people with very little to no professional brewing experience). After that he'd transfer them to working in the kitchen of the cafe or in the office of his lovely elder care business until they quit. I heard from someone recently that he said he was hired directly after the interview, then never contacted the guy until he reached out to someone he knew at the company only to be told it wasn't happening.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

History Comes Inside! posted:

I did that at 17 and got told I was overqualified, because they thought based on my GCSE’s I put on my CV to pad it out I was gonna get bored of working there and go back to school too soon for it to be worth training me on how to put poo poo on shelves.

:same:

I was an eager, young engineering-major freshman. A group of four of us decided a part-time job would be a good thing because more money means more fun. We applied as a group to and were interviewed at a Safeway. A couple of managers were handling us. They talked to us for a bit and then gave us a practical test. It was bagging a mix of heavy and fragile things, with variously sized and shape blocks color coded for weight and fragility. We all look at our bag n' blocks, saw an easy space-filling puzzle, and put the blocks in the bag in seconds. The managers were nonplussed. They sort of huddle for a minute and then say they really liked us, but couldn't hire us because we were really, grossly, overqualified and would be bored stiff by the second day.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Some nice Intel engineers told me exactly that when I interviewed for a position there a couple of years ago

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lately I've been hearing stories about working at the former brewery I was the head brewer at for a year and change, either directly from one of the four people who quit at the same time (lol) or from people who knew them. Holy poo poo I'm glad I saw the writing on the wall.

The only reason you should be leaving work at a brewery at 2am is because you work at some massive regional like Widmer Bros. or Bell's that schedules in 12 hour shifts and operates 24/7, not at some 2k liter operation. Even in that case you shouldn't be expected to show up at 8 that same morning. Especially considering in a larger Japanese city like Osaka most people don't own cars.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Machai posted:

Right after my current job hired me, I got the automated "sorry, we went with another applicant" email. For the position I was just hired for.

I have had this too lol

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Been in a new team for all of a week after the latest realignment/staff shuffling exercise and it’s dumb poo poo o’clock.

Coworker sends our new boss a project update and asks for help getting a deliverable from a manager who is ducking them at every turn, feeling out of options on how to get someone above them to do their loving job. The email is a little snarky about that person, not too bad but not too professional.

Boss either doesn’t really read or doesn’t really think and hits forward, adds “Please provide a firm date for delivery.” Today the poo poo has hit the fan because skiving manager confronted the person who wrote the email in the office and reduced him to tears.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Escape From Noise posted:

Lately I've been hearing stories about working at the former brewery I was the head brewer at for a year and change, either directly from one of the four people who quit at the same time (lol) or from people who knew them. Holy poo poo I'm glad I saw the writing on the wall.

The only reason you should be leaving work at a brewery at 2am is because you work at some massive regional like Widmer Bros. or Bell's that schedules in 12 hour shifts and operates 24/7, not at some 2k liter operation. Even in that case you shouldn't be expected to show up at 8 that same morning. Especially considering in a larger Japanese city like Osaka most people don't own cars.

Am I remembering incorrectly, or does Japanese transit not run late at night?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Am I remembering incorrectly, or does Japanese transit not run late at night?

You are correct. Last train is usually around midnight or 1 am depending on how far you're going. They had to take taxis home. I think I heard the company paid for them at least but still, gently caress that.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Bad decisions the thread is amazing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I can't even tell how many times I've been ghosted during the hiring/interview/application process because I'm STILL getting "sorry, we went with someone else" emails from companies I applied to several months ago that I don't remember ever contacting.

Ah, nice setup for a San Diego thank you :hmmyes:

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

YeahTubaMike posted:

Ah, nice setup for a San Diego thank you :hmmyes:

TIL--after Googling. (and laughed)
I think that would be the rare double-reverse?
Thank you (not the SD kind).

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Machai posted:

One of the companies my husband worked for many years ago had been bought out by a larger company who promised the owner that they would "take care" of all the employees that were integrated into the new company. My husband was laid off after a year because they didn't feel his job warranted a full time position, so they had this brilliant plan of making his position part time and had my husband train the engineer on how to do what he did. The plan was the engineer would do a particular job in the morning and then do what my husband did in the afternoon. No one actually involved in this thought it was a good idea, but the new company was a shithole anyhow, and people from the bought out company were slowly getting winnowed down, so it wasn't really a surprise either.

Husband left, ended up taking a job delivering pizzas while looking for a new job. About 6 months later, as he perused the job listings, he came across a familiar sounding job description and was like: "Hey, I can do all this stuff."

Turns out, it was the job description he wrote for his position when the new company bought out the old company. Like, the exact same description using the exact same wording. He contacted an old work buddy and found out that the "part time" thing had lasted for all of two weeks before the wheels fell off, and since then, they'd cycled through about three more people who quit because the expectations and the job pay did not align. Husband laughingly submitted his resume for the position. If they had offered him the position, it would have come with a demand for a significant pay bump. However, they just sent him the "Thanks, but no thanks" letter.

Fun little post-script. The husband and I took a trip to Hawaii this year for our anniversary. We splurged on the second leg of our trip home and sat in first class. From where we were seated (with a glass of wine and a beer) we could see people boarding the plane. One of the last people to race on was one of the owners of the lovely company, who had to make his way to the back of the plane and sit in economy. There was a certain amount of petty schadenfreude to that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
:confused:: "I can't do this process on the work you sent me because the options are greyed out, what do I do?"

:raise:: "I don't know, I've never done your job."

:confused:: "Well the options are greyed out so I can't click anything. What should I do?"

I'm beginning to think that telling a whole load of people they were being laid off, seeing most of them choose to bail early, leaving the still essential roles filled by people with zero training, and having all the managers left being more interested in reapplying for their "new" job than teaching them, may not have been optimal.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
HR is being suspiciously helpful with filing for unexpected leave and coming up with suggestions to maximize the paid amount. I'm no MBA haver but I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of HRs job! There's a trick here somewhere.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

zedprime posted:

HR is being suspiciously helpful with filing for unexpected leave and coming up with suggestions to maximize the paid amount. I'm no MBA haver but I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of HRs job! There's a trick here somewhere.

- New guy at HR has not yet got the true purpose memo, take advantage while you can
- You are a soldier at war and this is your triple booze ration before you attack tomorrow, enjoy it while you can

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe
Well that last wall of text has gotten me nowhere. After a face to face today I am assured my ADA request to go back to 3 days remote will be rejected, everything is going down in flames and even my boss said "why is 2 days in office more reasanble than 3?".

Ma'am I do not make the rules to mental illness, dammit but it made a good point when the next step is a corp head is looking at things with that unique lack of empathy.

So the plan is to request all remote work because why am I even TRYING to eat some anxiety in the bad workspace. All or nothing.
And interviewing sounds terrible now but I better get ready, hope I avoid the worst being described.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Escape From Noise posted:

I remember at my brewing job in Denmark, I once worked a 19.5 hour day because of multiple stuck mashes and left for home at 4:30AM. And had to come back at 10 the next morning. It was a loving shitshow of a place.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

RocketMermaid posted:

I remember at my brewing job in Denmark, I once worked a 19.5 hour day because of multiple stuck mashes and left for home at 4:30AM. And had to come back at 10 the next morning. It was a loving shitshow of a place.

You certainly didn't have to get back in under 10h of time between shifts, you just chose to.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You certainly didn't have to get back in under 10h of time between shifts, you just chose to.

True, but the fear of being an unemployed expat 4000 miles from home had a bit of influence on my decision.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Elviscat posted:

Our recruiting software has baked in "thank you for applying to Company! We are reviewing your application!" Auto-emails, and it's also supposed to send "Thanks for applying! We don't like you, F off!" Emails when resumes are rejected, but that function's broke as hell.

Our company is supposed to be smart enough to let any current employee skip past some of the pre-hire interview stuff, which would mean getting out of having to write a cover letter or doing one of those "record yourself answering these questions" video interviews. Either the software is broken or the HR company we contract that part of the hiring process out to is bad at their jobs, but everyone I've talked to, and my own experience, is that it's totally hit or miss. For my current job I didn't need to do anything put send in my resume and do a quick interview, the job before that I had to go the distance on the whole process. Our outside hiring process is also notoriously horrible because we contract out the postings and initial resume collecting and screenings to a third party that doesn't really do much beyond run a word filter over submissions and check to make sure we can write a competent cover letter. If you recommend someone that can help, but my previous boss said that when he put in a req for a mid-level person he got zero resumes passed on to him by the 3rd party after two months. He finally had to ask his boss to put the req in because she was at a high enough level she could tell the 3rd party to turn off the filters and just give her everything. We're both severely understaffed and in a hiring freeze right now, but ALSO at the point in the early days of the pandemic where people started getting moved around to cover for some of the early retirements and contractor layoffs. That means a bunch of people are coming up on a year or two since they last moved and are looking at the openings and preparing to move. We're about to be understaffed in a hiring freeze and have every director and above trying to pull people from other programs/divisions for the next three months.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I once got a call from HR about an internal promotion where they started by explaining who the company were, what they did and that I’d be being interview by Mr Guywhosalreadymyboss and he’s a great guy so it’ll be good for you to meet him and by the way where are you working at the moment, are they in the industry or are you changing careers entirely?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

Oof. Yeah. I'm really glad I saw that coming. I'm pretty sure these guys were regularly working 18 hour days or something. There was nobody on staff with professional brewing experience and the owner was just asking the impossible from everyone.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The new general manager is sort of riding the restaurant manager's rear end so things have actually improved a bit lately.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Today's highlight: Builders singing along to Disco house cover of 'Rocket Man'

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

- New guy at HR has not yet got the true purpose memo, take advantage while you can
- You are a soldier at war and this is your triple booze ration before you attack tomorrow, enjoy it while you can

-They've been doing this job forever and after being party to such low grade evil for so long just burnt out. But they're so entrenched in their fifedom noone can touch them, so decided they could do some good in the world and legally steal from the company.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Outrail posted:

Dumb poo poo your work does: holy fuckballs I'm so goddamn tired lmao

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Question for all: how many hours of actual work do you do as part of one full working day (or shift)?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe 4-6? Would depend how much I discard getting tea and snacks, dicking with my phone and finding things to listen to while I'm working, and that's all very day dependent.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Chewbecca posted:

Question for all: how many hours of actual work do you do as part of one full working day (or shift)?

6,5-7,5 out of eight, less than one during night shifts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Chewbecca posted:

Anywhere from 0-6.

I'm in some bastard child role between finance and operations so I can spend 4 days trying to make my screen look like I'm doing actual work and then I'll spend 6 hours building and tracking freight containers.

End of year I'll spend 3 days reformatting spreadsheets because the VP wants data to scroll ACROSS not VERTICALLY. Then I'll spend the week between Xmas and NY trying to not fall asleep.

But realistically, probably 2-4 hours of tangible work and another 1-2 hours of me digging into data and doing fancy tricks to impress the owner.