Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

HerraS posted:

no one uses ogre mercs in WH 3 because you can only get bulls, sorry but stop living in the past

You can get maneaters depending on the camp. If you're allied to ogres, you can get all kinds of stuff from the allied recruitment options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HerraS posted:

sorry but stop living in the past

I'll be happy to the next time TW3 goes on sale.

Tbh, I think my ideal allies for recruitment as dwarfs in 3 might be Tomb Kings. Good cavalry, big monsters, and greatbow ushabti or bone giants all feel like they'd be good additions.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Side note, next non warhams total war :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLlD650ZBFQ

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFGCu5hnLyA

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I really need to play a historical TW game

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Total War: Pharaoh is actually the prequel to TWWH, during Settra’s ascension

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
historical total wars feel so limited now

Give me flying monsters and magic please

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm no fancy big city trailer maker, but maybe a piece of poo poo shouldn't be the main focus point of a trailer for your new product?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
egyptians fuckin loved scarabs for millennia

like complaining about olive oil in a greece game

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:sickos:

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Man, this feels like Troy again and Troy was bad. Warhammer may have ruined historical total wars.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Since this is the closest thing SA has to a Warhammer thread anymore, GW announced the starting factions for Warhammer: the Old World
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/23/old-world-development-diary-the-main-factions-revealed/

Warhammer Community posted:

The game will be set firmly within the Old World itself – the lands between the coast of Bretonnia to the west and the Worlds Edge Mountains to the east – during the decades immediately before the Great War Against Chaos and the Siege of Praag.

Much of the action in the first wave of books and supplements takes place in and around the Border Princes – the barrier lands between the Empire and Orc territory. Accordingly, we will be focusing on nine core factions:

Empire of Man

Dwarfen Mountain Holds

Kingdom of Bretonnia

Wood Elf Realms

High Elf Realms

Orc and Goblin Tribes

Warriors of Chaos

Beastman Brayherds

Tomb Kings of Khemri

Other factions will have rules provided but won't be featured at first

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
sucks to be dark elf

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

HerraS posted:

no one uses ogre mercs in WH 3 because you can only get bulls, sorry but stop living in the past

I actually only don't use them because they get obliterated in autoresolve.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Does anyone have a quick and dirty guide on how to not get krumped as Grimgor in the first 20 turns or so? Feel like Astragoth, Kholek and Zhatan always declare on me all at once just as I've finished killing the opening ogre enemies, and the mountains are positioned just right for my Underway stance to be almost completely useless at intercepting armies coming from basically all sides.

Grimgor's a loving horror show in the AI's hands so I though this would be a faceroll, but I'm getting owned :(

e: Arghy liked this post

Took a couple restarts but thanks to thread advice I think I've pulled this off. One key thing I learned is that the Servants of the Conclave faction is hardcoded to be almost completely passive, so you can park as many raiding armies there as you want and they'll never do anything about it. Game got a hell of a lot easier once I was pulling in 3,000+ gold per turn from my goblin shitstacks

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

dogstile posted:

I actually only don't use them because they get obliterated in autoresolve.

Yeah that's true too. I use a mod that gives all factions warband upgrades and it's always a challenge to see if the ogres I recruit can stay alive long enough to become maneaters or something.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Does this game go on sale very often? I've played the first two extensively and desperately want to play an ogre campaign.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Lord Packinham posted:

Man, this feels like Troy again and Troy was bad. Warhammer may have ruined historical total wars.

You're probably right, we need Total War: Age of Mythology.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Does this game go on sale very often? I've played the first two extensively and desperately want to play an ogre campaign.

Yeah pretty often and so does the DLC (the older DLC heavily)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

https://gg.deals/game/total-war-warhammer-iii/

scroll down for the historical prices

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ninjahedgehog posted:

Took a couple restarts but thanks to thread advice I think I've pulled this off. One key thing I learned is that the Servants of the Conclave faction is hardcoded to be almost completely passive, so you can park as many raiding armies there as you want and they'll never do anything about it. Game got a hell of a lot easier once I was pulling in 3,000+ gold per turn from my goblin shitstacks

oh yeah once you get a couple raiding supplies going you start raiding encamp stance for ridic amounts of gold. you can start affording silly amounts of stacks that turn turbo once you Waaagh

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

You're probably right, we need Total War: Age of Mythology.

They had a chance to do something like this with Troy and went with the most baffling half-measure possible that annoyed both historical purists and people who wanted Greek Mythology Total War.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Thanks guys, one more question: Did they ever change horde mechanics, loyalty, and food? That stuff killed whole campaigns for me, made them unplayable

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Thanks guys, one more question: Did they ever change horde mechanics, loyalty, and food? That stuff killed whole campaigns for me, made them unplayable

There aren't really true horde factions anymore, except for Nakai I guess. For the other things there are tons of mods that make them much more forgiving or remove them entirely. It's not something you ever had to deal with if you didn't want to. They should be pretty easy to find in the steam workshop. Personally I use a more forgiving loyalty one because I still like the dilemmas, but it's annoying when a higher level general decides he hates being in your faction.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they fixed nakai too, after like 4 attempts

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

well hordes don't really exist in the same way as they did before

loyalty is basically a non-mechanic in that you quickly realize the game gives you events as they become disloyal to bring it back up. you can also mitigate it with followers / heroes / technology. oh you can also disband unloyal lords in the water and they shouldn't flip sides

food is a core mechanic for Skaven and is never going away. it's also abusable once you get a couple undercities going and grab a pasture or two

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

So how do warriors of chaos function now? And beastmen? They take cities like everyone else?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
beastmen have a mechanic where they take herdstone settlements and do a ritual that prevents others from settling close by

warriors of chaos have dark fortresses (a bunch of settlements designated as the Good Settlements For Them) and give other settlements to vassals. kill last settlement of a faction and you can vassalize them, which is how karl franz served kholek last time i played kholek

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 23, 2023

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Also to note is upkeep and costs to recruit are a bit different now for beastmen

and the warriors of chaos can recruit units or upgrade existing ones into the next tier

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The game goes on sale during the Skulls Showcase, as does a lot of stuff for the whole warhammer series. The Skulls event is scheduled for the 25th of May for this year, so 2 days from now

TeenageArchipelago fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 23, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

So how do warriors of chaos function now? And beastmen? They take cities like everyone else?

you must not have played in a while as beastmen got updated at the tail end of WH2 but yeah the herdstone mechanic is huge for them to feel viable and not one loss away from campaign ending

Warriors of Chaos can also make smaller tier 1 settlements, as well, but they're trash and mostly for replenishment / increasing chaos corruption

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Fair warning that ogres are broadly considered to be the least fun race though -- in battle they're pretty unique and cool but their strategic gameplay is rear end

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ninjahedgehog posted:

Fair warning that ogres are broadly considered to be the least fun race though -- in battle they're pretty unique and cool but their strategic gameplay is rear end

yeah of the wh3 factions they feel the most underbaked on the campaign level. I want a more robust contract system and a way to pack up and move a higher tier camp. maybe they turn into a Black Ark style army that moves slower as a penalty for carrying all those supplies

I really want them to be playing a different style of game than the others. sort of like wood elves or beastmen

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Grumio posted:

Since this is the closest thing SA has to a Warhammer thread anymore, GW announced the starting factions for Warhammer: the Old World
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/23/old-world-development-diary-the-main-factions-revealed/

Other factions will have rules provided but won't be featured at first

I'm actually very surprised Kislev isn't on this list. A lot of their early posts from a couple years back kinda implied they would be.

On the flip side, Tomb Kings is a kinda weird inclusion. Is there a reason for it that I'm not aware of? Something something "accommodate/make up for missing in Age of Sigmar"?

edit: wait, lol, Kislev isn't even on the secondary list? Huh.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 23, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

orangelex44 posted:

I'm actually very surprised Kislev isn't on this list. A lot of their early posts from a couple years back kinda implied they would be.

On the flip side, Tomb Kings is a kinda weird inclusion. Is there a reason for it that I'm not aware of? Something something "accommodate/make up for missing in Age of Sigmar"?

Says it's based in the Border Princes so pretty much the exact wrong direction for Kislev

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
That's fine, but their first map reveal was explicitly over Kislev. Either something changed since that time, or they're holding out on Kislev to make sure their second book sells.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
people are in love with our bigass sprawling warhammer fantasy world due to the unprecedented success of a videogame tie in. let's do a new game set in that world without any of the unique or interesting things.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Really cool to see a table top spinoff of the game, I think that's probably a first for a Total War game, although I guess a lot of historical TT games existed way before Rome, Medieval, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

orangelex44 posted:

I assume that they're going to be conservative with the initial release of Old World and stick to already established factions to see if it finds any real traction at all before they sink the resources into what would require a whole new model range for a niche product.