Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

HallelujahLee posted:

didnt some poll show most people dont give a poo poo anymore

If put to a vote I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of Americans thought we should dissolve the entire government at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

RealityWarCriminal posted:

the thing about kayfabe is even if you know about it, it doesnt matter because the kayfaber is going to do what they want anyway

Kayfabe is kayfabe until the line breaks and the wrestler falls 25 feet

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Mr Hootington posted:

that show went on

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

So what you are saying is the market will rise to ever soaring heights.

Until it looks down and sees that it is standing way past the edge of the cliff with no clothes on. That day we get to see how big of a crater the DOW makes. But only if the market is dumb enough to look down. Good thing trading algorithms can be trained to always look up.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The thing is that I'm not sure a default would be bad for markets over all but the shortest terms. It'd be bad for everyone else, sure, but self-inflicted economic devastation would be a great excuse to resume ZIRP.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

SpaceCadetBob posted:

true enough, but there is already movement towards mixing sodium-ion battery cells in with lithium cells to make hybrid battery packs.

The problem is sodium ion batteries are just nearly as efficient in terms of weight and the powerful/heavier a car comes then range is going to be seriously compromised and probably not really attractive to most people.

Also, sodium ion batteries are much safer but that obviously isn’t great if you are still using lithium ion batteries.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/latimessports/status/1661011819660730368

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Ardennes posted:

Even then the Soviets may have given us a run for our money if a couple things worked out. Ultimately, over time we just over spent them because even if they could build a space shuttle (and they did, one that could be remotely piloted) then simply couldn't continue forever with the pressure they were under.

Now America's hopes rest on Elon

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

US TREASURY UPENDS SOFA CUSHIONS FOR SPARE COINS TO PAY THE ELECTRIC BILL

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

The thing is that I'm not sure a default would be bad for markets over all but the shortest terms. It'd be bad for everyone else, sure, but self-inflicted economic devastation would be a great excuse to resume ZIRP.

"Bad for everyone else" is just not something that ever enters the equation for anyone in a position to make decisions.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Willa Rogers posted:

US TREASURY UPENDS SOFA CUSHIONS FOR SPARE COINS TO PAY THE ELECTRIC BILL

US TREASURY: "I NEED ONE MORE DAY BRO" - WAPO

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I mean the meager unemployment expansion and pandemic aid folks did get was society changing. imagine if that ppp money had gone to actual people and not lovely business grifters.

I wonder if there've been any studies that showed the relative & respective impacts of various pandemic aid like expanded u/e comp or no-questions-asked medicaid.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

I wonder if there've been any studies that showed the relative & respective impacts of various pandemic aid like expanded u/e comp or no-questions-asked medicaid.

Anything that reached you or I was absolutely dwarfed by the ~$1t that was handed to small business tyrants no questions asked.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

err posted:

US TREASURY: "I NEED ONE MORE DAY BRO" - WAPO

That Simpsons episode where an adult Bart saves Lisa's presidential administration by telling the rest of the world "hey, check's in the mail, come on, you know we're good for it, be cool, guys" except for real.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

Geopolitical concerns and the failure of the business plot are why the US went for the allies. France and the UK were in our bloc and there was no getting around that, and there were Nazi sympathizers here. The US happily took up the mantle of anticommunism from Nazi German though.

Now that the Business Plot 2 and neo confederates firmly entrenched themselves after the civil rights era and neoliberalism, the US is blooming into the fascist state it always knew it could be.

We gonna show the world what real Nazis look like.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Bad news, Pittsburgh is no longer affordable

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1660960543241388034

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
tori needs to move to Philly

Apr 7, 2003

lol Pittsburgh was on that list until very recently

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
based on the ice cream some pages back I bought myself a tub of Tillamook and holy jesus this is the best ice cream I've ever tasted

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

based on the ice cream some pages back I bought myself a tub of Tillamook and holy jesus this is the best ice cream I've ever tasted

Try the sharp cheddar as well is you can

——

Also, West Palm beach is kind of a surprise, maybe just due to demographics?

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Ardennes posted:

Try the sharp cheddar as well is you can

——

Also, West Palm beach is kind of a surprise, maybe just due to demographics?

Palm Beach is the expensive one, West Palm Beach is where the help lives

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

docbeard posted:

That Simpsons episode where an adult Bart saves Lisa's presidential administration by telling the rest of the world "hey, check's in the mail, come on, you know we're good for it, be cool, guys" except for real.

Lisa was president after President Trump, this checks out

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

I’d really like to see this graph over time. also lol the even with rents sky high in Bay Area it’s still cheaper to rent

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gradenko_2000 posted:

it’s not the best but it’s the best widely available and cheapest option. best bang for the buck

I’m partial to the Marion berry pie or huckleberry one, or white chocolate raspberry, but they’re all good flavors

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol Pittsburgh was on that list until very recently

nice the lovely house that needs tens of thousands of dollars of repairs before anyone would even buy it that I'm gonna inherit in Pittsburgh could actually be worth something, maybe I could even pay off my student loans that I'll surely still have in 20 years when I get it

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Cleveland ftw

Apr 7, 2003

Maed posted:

nice the lovely house that needs tens of thousands of dollars of repairs before anyone would even buy it that I'm gonna inherit in Pittsburgh could actually be worth something, maybe I could even pay off my student loans that I'll surely still have in 20 years when I get it

Also you can't get anyone out to repair your lovely fixerup house anymore because any good craftsmen are booked for the next year and anyone with openings is a scammer

desirable housing that people want to live in here is just as expensive as anywhere else that isn't a bubble city

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lmao krugman and Americans lol
https://twitter.com/jefflarrimore/status/1660966003021324289?t=tPBy-564NHmiaOP0MzEYQw&s=19

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

it's impossible for them to look at this data and not think it represents reality rather than Americans being completely delusional about their financial situation

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

If put to a vote I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of Americans thought we should dissolve the entire government at this point.

thats probably an improvement over the current situation

the labor market is pure poo poo atm they keep crowing about these mythical jobs but they sure dont seem to be around

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's impossible for them to look at this data and not think it represents reality rather than Americans being completely delusional about their financial situation

quote:

Buy now, pay later (BNPL) loans aren’t only for fancy shoes, kitchen appliances and gaming systems. Millions of Americans use these loans as lifelines.

The newest LendingTree survey finds that 27% of BNPL users say they use these loans as a bridge to their next paycheck, which can help them make ends meet amid rampant inflation, rising interest rates and headline-making layoffs. The loans are also being used to purchase basic necessities. Case in point: 21% of BNPL users say they’ve used one of the loans to buy groceries.

But things don’t always work out. More than half of users — including almost two-thirds of Gen Zers — say they’ve regretted a BNPL-financed purchase, and 40% of these users have paid late on one of the loans.

Despite those warning signs, BNPL use is still on the rise, with 46% of Americans saying they’ve used one of the loans — up from 43% a year ago. That growth has led other companies to jump in the fray alongside BNPL firms like Klarna and Afterpay — including Apple, which introduced Apple Pay Later in late March. However, the meteoric growth in BNPL popularity and usage of these loans in recent years appears to be slowing.
https://www.lendingtree.com/personal/bnpl-ends-meet-survey/

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lmao

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
yeah i'm doing fine just a couple more paychecks bro then i'll finally get my head above water just two more pay periods bro

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

hooray my city is #1

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
buy now pay later but its a mortgage

Apr 7, 2003

Koirhor posted:

buy now pay later but its a mortgage

This was big back in the last real estate bubble

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/interestonlymortgage.asp

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

imagine being able to afford a place to raise your family in the city you grew up in. lmao. scifi poo poo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

mad.radhu posted:

imagine being able to afford a place to raise your family in the city you grew up in. lmao. scifi poo poo

drat 750k in San Jose is super cheap

but ya I grew up Sonoma county and most were like 100-200k up until 2004 then exploded to 500-700k then down to 350-600 after gfc then have spiked again to 800-1.6 million

destroy all doughy white Wisconsinite transplants :twisted:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
there's no reasonable american dream to aspire to, so now all I want is revenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

lol personal finances "doing at least ok" matched with a good or excellent local/national economy

like yeah, we're doing OK... in the sense that we put money in retirement accounts and pay our bills every month but I would not rate that the same as good or excellent, which... what does that even look like?