Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Your Home Izakaya by Tim Anderson is a really good book.

Not entirely authentic, and knowingly so, but awesome recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The cookbook recs were awesome y'all and I've been enjoying them so far. But one more question, is there a good book on Japanese drinking culture/cocktails I could get to go along with these?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

TheKingslayer posted:

The cookbook recs were awesome y'all and I've been enjoying them so far. But one more question, is there a good book on Japanese drinking culture/cocktails I could get to go along with these?

I don't have a book rec unfortunately though this one looks cool:
https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Art-Cocktail-Masahiro-Urushido/dp/0358362024

But I will say beer, shochu, whiskey, and sake absolutely DOMINATE drinking in Japan in my experience.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

Japanese cocktail culture is pretty much American cocktail culture of the past (i.e. pre-Prohibition through mid-20th-century), preserved in amber. You can get books about it specifically (Uyeda's "Cocktail Techniques" used to be recommended a lot) but unless you are a true obsessive about mirroring the exact shaking technique used by bars in Ginza in the 80s, you don't need them. New recipes aren't a thing. (Interestingly, since Japanese cocktail bars preserved oldschool American cocktail techniques so well during the cocktail "dark ages" of the late 20th century, they were a primary inspiration/source for the "cocktail renaissance" bars of the 2000s/2010s. And now you're getting a kind of "third wave" cocktail bar in places like Katana Kitten, who are behind the book hallo spacedog posted.)

So, for cocktails, to do them in a "Japanese" way, you should just make a classic drink using as much of the sleeve-garters style of 'mixology' as you feel like doing, plus serve your impeccably-made drink with a little tray of bar nuts at least, if not a more complicated snack (see your Izakaya cookbook), and keep the lights low, put some soft jazz on, ideally provide a little hot towel when you sit down. I'm not gonna lie, it's pretty great, but a bit silly to do at home.

For whisky, the best book I've read is "The Way of Whisky" by Broom. It'll tell you about all sorts of fancy whiskies you can't buy unless you travel to Japan and make a trek to the hinterlands and/or know a guy.

I haven't found a really good English-language book on sake, unfortunately.

Cocktails and fancy whisky aren't really a big part of Japanese drinking culture IME, though. Like spacedog said, regular people drink a beer or a highball when they pop into the pub after work, or some shochu, particularly if you're down in the south. Then they keep doing that until they're finished eating or too drunk to continue. In the summer when it's hot, more ice and more fizz go in the drink. In the winter when it's cold, you probably mix some hot water into your shochu, or heat some sake in a tokkuri. Sake is less popular than beer, cheap whisky, and shochu, but it's coming back a bit and is still considered the proper pairing for some things (especially sashimi and similar dishes; theoretically you aren't supposed to drink sake with rice).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Scythe posted:

I haven't found a really good English-language book on sake, unfortunately.

These are the ones I've read:

Exploring the World of Japanese Craft Sake, Nancy Matsumoto and Michael Tremblay
The Book of Sake, Philip Harper
The Sake Handbook and Sake Confidential, both by John Gauntner
The Japanese Sake Bible, Brian Ashcraft

Thirding that most Japanese drinking culture is "pound cheap beer/whisky/shochu until dead" but sake is very much worth exploring.

On the cocktail subject, if you happen to be in Osaka Bar Nayuta may be the best cocktail bar I've ever been to.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I mean it makes so much absolute sense that suntory bought Jim Beam, this is the overarching vibe of Japanese drinking imo. Ngl I miss it in many ways as 90% of what I like to drink nowadays is regular beer, cheap bourbon and whiskey, shochu and soju anyway.

Edit: oh man how did this humble little thread get to 69 pages.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 27, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Chicken teriyaki:

(I didn't have any green onions)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I figure this thread might know, but I'm wondering if there is any good way to remove scratching from lacquer dishware? I have a nice wood lacquer plate that I washed with a sponge but it left some streaky minor scratches on the surface of it that I'd like to polish out. Is there a good compound for that?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Heath posted:

I figure this thread might know, but I'm wondering if there is any good way to remove scratching from lacquer dishware? I have a nice wood lacquer plate that I washed with a sponge but it left some streaky minor scratches on the surface of it that I'd like to polish out. Is there a good compound for that?

Supposedly if it's actually lacquered you can rub your hands over it for a few days in a row and it will fix it? Sounds weird but that's what the Internet is telling me

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Thanks for answering all my questions over the past couple of weeks.

Getting ready to head out to the first actual ramen place to open in town and I'm pretty excited, they even just got their drink menu up and going so it should be a great time.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Drink menu for ramen should be a Sapporo/Asahi/Orion tallboy as appropriate to latitude, with a 5-minute delay while the cook's son bikes to 7-Eleven for it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

They had the right beers but sadly no one biked to grab them. Good as hell ramen though.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

sushi kuiineeee

fish in pic: kinmedai, shima-aji, miyabi tai

nigiri: bluefin tuna, miyabi tai, shima-aji

kinmedai was cooked on a konro and devoured immediately, no pics

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Development posted:

sushi kuiineeee

fish in pic: kinmedai, shima-aji, miyabi tai

nigiri: bluefin tuna, miyabi tai, shima-aji

kinmedai was cooked on a konro and devoured immediately, no pics

gently caress that looks amazing

Development
Jun 2, 2016

hallo spacedog posted:

gently caress that looks amazing

thank you!!!

also if anyone's interested in New Cookbooks, Nancy Hachisu has a new book (Japan: The Vegetarian Cookbook), and Sylvan Mishima Brackett (chef of Izakaya Rintaro in SF) has a book coming out soon (pre-order a signed copy here). If you're in the Bay Area, I highly recommend checking out Rintaro, especially on their Monday Kappo nights.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Ooh, that Nancy Hachisu book looks really cool. Thanks for the heads up! If anyone checks it out let us know what you think.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Question:

I have some chicken thighs I want to throw in some curry. I have the Golden Curry roux blocks, but I'm looking for something interesting to add.

In the past I've used things like green bell peppers, carrots, even diced potatoes.

I certainly don't mind just doing that again, it's always tasty, but are there any other veggies (or other meats!) to try?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Annath posted:

Question:

I have some chicken thighs I want to throw in some curry. I have the Golden Curry roux blocks, but I'm looking for something interesting to add.

In the past I've used things like green bell peppers, carrots, even diced potatoes.

I certainly don't mind just doing that again, it's always tasty, but are there any other veggies (or other meats!) to try?

Onion, carrots and potatoes are kind of the standard additons but you can experiment. Some people put green peas too.

I like mine with Japanese sweet potato or kabocha squash or mushrooms . You could probably do eggplant, I bet that would be good.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Any vegetable will work. Daikon and lotus root are both good. Roast broccoli works. Really anything you can cut up and simmer until it's soft.

While you're adding stuff, grate an apple or a pear and throw it in the sauce, or add some honey, for sweetness.You can also add some garam masala to wake up the roux a bit.

And keep a jar of beni shōga or fukujinzuke in your fridge and garnish with some of it + some dashes of shichimi tōgarashi.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I never add anything sugary in mine since the roux is already plenty sweet. Anything that isn't a leafy vegetable works. Potato, onion, lotus root are standards for me.

As far as adjusting the curry part I always use dashi (powdered, don't waste fresh) instead of water, add sake and soy sauce, garlic, ginger, umeboshi, and I usually finish with some yuzu kosho and vinegar or lemon juice.

Other classics in the "secret ingredient" department are instant coffee, dark chocolate, yogurt.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Grand Fromage posted:

I never add anything sugary in mine since the roux is already plenty sweet. Anything that isn't a leafy vegetable works. Potato, onion, lotus root are standards for me.

As far as adjusting the curry part I always use dashi (powdered, don't waste fresh) instead of water, add sake and soy sauce, garlic, ginger, umeboshi, and I usually finish with some yuzu kosho and vinegar or lemon juice.

Other classics in the "secret ingredient" department are instant coffee, dark chocolate, yogurt.

I have some powdered dashi, so that's a neat idea. I'd been using chicken stock :downs:.

I have some good soy sauce, and I have plenty of garlic and ginger. Same with lemon juice. Apple cider vinegar might work.

I do have some umeboshi - should those go in whole, or diced?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I chop them up into a mush.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Grand Fromage posted:

I chop them up into a mush.

Sweet.

I'll have to play with it and see how many I can add without it becoming overpowering.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh yeah I should say I am a fan of sour so you may not want to stack as many as I do. I think at least the vinegar or lemon at the end, off the heat, is very nice to brighten up the flavor.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Umeboshi is a wild idea. My wife loves them so I'll have to give it a shot

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I want to get into making my own tsukemono (I got the book the thread suggested), and I'm wondering if there are any pickling medium recommendations. Would it be worth hunting down the wooden tub or pickling pottery, or should I just stick with a Mason jar to start?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mason jar sounds like a nightmare. Get a plastic or glass tub that's wide and shallow. You're going to be mixing it daily so that makes it a lot easier, plus you want room for the vegetables.

I used the crock from an old broken crock pot.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ooh, I'll have to look for that the next time I'm thrifting.

(nice)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Spuckuk posted:

Your Home Izakaya by Tim Anderson is a really good book.

Not entirely authentic, and knowingly so, but awesome recipes.

I picked this up - it looks fantastic. Haven't made any of the recipes yet, but I'm definitely going to soon.

Grand Fromage posted:

Made a batch with Dashi in lieu of chicken stock, and added umeboshi. Very tasty, will make again.

Just wish I could get dashi and umeboshi locally. So far I've relied on Amazon.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

recent ingredient dump:

one of the high end kaiseki restaurants in the bay area always has amazing kombu and they let me in on their supplier, Okui Kaiseido. They sell to consumers in the US here: https://www.okuikombu.com/shop-our-kombu/

fresh spring bamboo shoots, truly a delicacy. I haven't ever seen them fresh at any of the asian markets like this before. buy in the US here: https://penrynorchardspecialties.com/products/bamboo-shoots

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Development posted:

recent ingredient dump:

one of the high end kaiseki restaurants in the bay area always has amazing kombu and they let me in on their supplier, Okui Kaiseido. They sell to consumers in the US here: https://www.okuikombu.com/shop-our-kombu/

fresh spring bamboo shoots, truly a delicacy. I haven't ever seen them fresh at any of the asian markets like this before. buy in the US here: https://penrynorchardspecialties.com/products/bamboo-shoots

Awesome!

Re: the Kombu supplier - they have a "Dashi Pack" listed, but reading the description it doesn't sound like powdered Dashi. The instructions say to heat the whole pack in boiling water, not dissolve the contents in water.

I'm not sure if this is a translation issue, or if this is a product I'm unfamiliar with that is used differently.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Annath posted:

Awesome!

Re: the Kombu supplier - they have a "Dashi Pack" listed, but reading the description it doesn't sound like powdered Dashi. The instructions say to heat the whole pack in boiling water, not dissolve the contents in water.

I'm not sure if this is a translation issue, or if this is a product I'm unfamiliar with that is used differently.

It's basically a teabag with kombu and katsuobushi and/or niboshi in it, saves the mess of straining. You can usually find them in the freezers at Korean or Japanese groceries.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah, to be clear, "dashi" itself is the stock/broth you make. You can make it the oldschool way and use your own kombu/katsuobushi/shiitake/niboshi/whatever in water, or you can get packets with those ingredients pre-selected for you and then steep them like tea, or you can get the powdered instant dashi and just dissolve it. It's like instant coffee vs. coffee.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
On the topic of frozen stuff does anyone make frozen premade Takoyaki, making it from scratch at home feels a bit much for me at the moment but something like that would probably be nice

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

How do I get my shredded cabbage to be just like you get in a decent tonkatsu restaurant? I find it's always just a bit too hard/crunchy. Do I need to cut it as finely as possible? Soak in cold water? Use a specific kind of cabbage? Something else?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

While we’re asking restaurant questions, I’m going to miss the kushikatsu place 30 seconds from my hotel. Thinking about trying to DIY when I get back to Canada, maybe make a fun backyard friends get together thing out of it.

I’m wondering what sort of bread crumbs I’d be looking for when I get back, or whether whatever we can source in western shops is fine? I’ve done some googling and some people are running panko through a mesh trainer with a spoon until it gets a little finer, which seems like it would be a good idea too.

Thoughts on the batter? I’ve seen both egg and non-egg based suggestions on google. I mean ultimately I can just try whatever I find when I get home and experiment, just wondering for some “authentic results” firsthand experience with western ingredients if possible. Panko being so universal these days that I basically lump it in with western ingredients..

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fists Up posted:

How do I get my shredded cabbage to be just like you get in a decent tonkatsu restaurant? I find it's always just a bit too hard/crunchy. Do I need to cut it as finely as possible? Soak in cold water? Use a specific kind of cabbage? Something else?

You have to use one of the flat and wide Asian cabbages, not the round western ones. Slice it up thin. Then try some straight and some that's been cold water soaked and see which you like, I don't find the water necessary but I know some places do that.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

You have to use one of the flat and wide Asian cabbages, not the round western ones. Slice it up thin. Then try some straight and some that's been cold water soaked and see which you like, I don't find the water necessary but I know some places do that.

Are you talking about a napa cabbage/chinese cabbage/wombok? I'll give that a go

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fists Up posted:

Are you talking about a napa cabbage/chinese cabbage/wombok? I'll give that a go

No. This guy:

I sometimes see it as Taiwan cabbage in the US. Napa won't work at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9kK2sNR_uQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Grand Fromage posted:

No. This guy:

I sometimes see it as Taiwan cabbage in the US. Napa won't work at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9kK2sNR_uQ

There are some similar looking ones sold as heirloom cabbage where I live.