Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Is anyone else getting stutters with the beta or the demo on PC? I've tried a bunch of things but even on the training stage, I'll get intermittent bad stutters, sometimes disconnected to anything I'm doing in gameplay. I've tried updating my graphics drivers, setting my monitor's frame rate to 60hz, limiting the internal resolution to 1, but nothing's working to completely cure it. I have a good computer with a 3080 and Strive works great, so I'm not sure what's going on.

What's your memory situation like? I haven't personally checked, but RE Engine ports on PC were somewhat notorious for chugging up huge amounts of RAM to not make them load stutter. When I played RE2R on my older rig, I had to bump up my page file to something insane like 20gb to keep it smooth, and while that seems unlikely for a game more limited in scope like SF6, it's a possibility worth looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Is anyone else getting stutters with the beta or the demo on PC? I've tried a bunch of things but even on the training stage, I'll get intermittent bad stutters, sometimes disconnected to anything I'm doing in gameplay. I've tried updating my graphics drivers, setting my monitor's frame rate to 60hz, limiting the internal resolution to 1, but nothing's working to completely cure it. I have a good computer with a 3080 and Strive works great, so I'm not sure what's going on.

I have an ancient computer and I had similar issues where sometimes it would drop to 30 fps for like 20 seconds. I had fiddled with my settings a lot beforehand to try to sacrifice what I could due to old PC and I think I just happened upon a bad combination that interacted poorly with vsync. Turning off vsync did seem to fix the issue but the screen tearing was bad. In the end I just set things back to the normal performance/quality preset and it worked fine with vsync. So I don't have a clean fix, but it's possible you maybe just hit a weird settings combination.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Vermain posted:

What's your memory situation like? I haven't personally checked, but RE Engine ports on PC were somewhat notorious for chugging up huge amounts of RAM to not make them load stutter. When I played RE2R on my older rig, I had to bump up my page file to something insane like 20gb to keep it smooth, and while that seems unlikely for a game more limited in scope like SF6, it's a possibility worth looking at.

Should be fine, I have 16 GB of RAM, and I'm not seeing SF6 maxing out utilization. I've played RE2R, RE4R, and Monster Hunter Rise at above 60fps with no issues on this computer.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I worry about dee jay. When I last gave up on Strive a few months back, it was because nobody loving respects Anji's Fujin. (and frankly, I think I was kind of asking for it by sticking to playing **Anji** or all people)

Different game, different pace, different mechanics, but I worry his dandy step will be equally disrespected.

well for the gimmicks, if you think they are gonna mash you can just do the backstep and then nothing, and bop whatever button they stick out.

As for the mix stuff, I think the big deal is unlike anji, Deejays overhead is plus on block lol

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I was already hype for this game and the open beta has really solidified it.
Bar like two matches with people who seemed to be furiously punching their router any time they started losing, every other match I had was buttery smooth. A little disappointed that there's no Oceanic/Australian server but the netcode seems good enough that if all the Aussies pile into the Asia server I'll get matches okay.

I gave Modern controls an honest shot. I love the concept and think I've got a couple of friends who I might be able to convince to play the game since the Modern controls are an option, but for me even with my scrub tier skill level, I've just put too much time into six button controls and so found muscle memory getting in the way constantly. I still might try and play around with it once the game is out with the full roster just to see if there's anyone whose Modern control scheme I vibe with, mostly just out of curiousity to see what's possible.

I spent most of my time playing Jamie who I enjoyed a surprising amount, not normally the type of character that I'd go for but given the paucity of character choice in the beta and his absolutely sick design I guess it wasn't too hard a decision. 4 levels for the drink system feels like one too many - most of the time that I got up to 4 drinks (outside of situations where people just stood there and let me drink up) my opponent was already dead or only had a sliver of health left.

Kimberly is going to absolutely wreck newbies who don't know how to navigate her gimmicks though from seeing his moveset I imagine a lot of salt online will be directed at JP because people hate zoners with a fiery passion.

Very excited for the full game to drop and can't wait to check out the rest of the cast.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of controllers, do ya’ll have a recommended pad for SF or fighters in general? I will be playing on PC because I may as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403226685231

https://www.8bitdo.com/m30/
(wired mode)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I worry about dee jay. When I last gave up on Strive a few months back, it was because nobody loving respects Anji's Fujin. (and frankly, I think I was kind of asking for it by sticking to playing **Anji** or all people)

Different game, different pace, different mechanics, but I worry his dandy step will be equally disrespected.

Fujin is advancing with armor and highly unsafe if the opponent has meter at all to rc you. It leaves you in a huge window to be thrown. Its follow ups have been buffed 3 times and still suck.

Dandy step is retreating and punishing a whiff with much lower commitment and danger cause you arent catching an attack with your own body and praying that they have no match up knowledge like anji has to.

Deejay will be bait and punish with a credible zoning game to boot
Anji is like ok make a perfect read and then get lucky

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I’ve been enjoying this video series of breakdowns on Modern Control characters, what they have and what they’re lacking:

https://youtu.be/p7bV9XUsdjs

https://youtu.be/IZp-ZOFfAzQ

Unsurprisingly Luke is pretty tuned for Modern and has almost his whole move set, while Chun is apparently missing her stance moves entirely. Ken and Ryu vids are also on his page.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the beta really got its hooks in me, i can't loving wait to play more ken. was gonna try out the different characters but i just ended up playing ken. run cancelling is a really fun mechanic.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Did you turn on the option to compile shaders at startup?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man, why do we gotta wait two weeks to play more :sigh:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Arzachel posted:

Having to look out for jumps (with crossups being strong/anti airs maybe weak) and drive rush *and* drive impact while trying to footsie is rough. That and pressure feeling bad are probably my two least favorite things about the game right now, we'll see how that changes once people figure the game out more.

I'm pretty bad at anti-airs in SF5, I was having an even harsher time in SF6. My hope is that the full training mode/world tour helps me fix this weakness in my gameplay.

With that said, after practicing quite a bit in the demo, I'm pretty consistent at reacting to DI? It's funny because I don't even need to be actively thinking "oh I feel like this guy is gonna DI now" like I have to with jumps. I hope I'm not sounding braggy here, it just didn't feel like a challenging skill to me, at least not on par to reacting to jumps. My protip is that you should use the one button DI and if you're playing on a stick you should have a finger over the DI button at all times.

I suspect the thing with SF6 though is that moves like heavies and even some mediums are not as safe as they used to be in SF5. If the opponent reads you they can DI at the right moment and you don't have a recovery window to react to it. This changes the game a lot and it's something that I was only getting used to... Gotta use more lights instead.

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 23, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/redbullgaming/status/1660996759689261056?t=zVReP0YGdR3Y2D_MzVH_8g&s=19

Looks like you can see what might be potential alt costumes in this video

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

drat.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
:eyepop:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The snoosnoo brigade finna get mad rutty.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I refused to play the open beta because I am loyal to Marisa and no other reason :colbert: I had a lot of work and social engagements and was too tired when I was home

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/kujikawaii/status/1661003865523666945?t=Kn3jakjAFilzZ1XpT6IyZQ&s=19

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

I would never touch another character if we got these outfits.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Well my two mains are settled now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Absolutely no heterosexual explanation for these fits.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Absolutely no heterosexual explanation for these fits.

Women in suits look good?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
There was a rap(?) artist from the early to late 2000's that Kimberly very strongly reminds me of. She had a music video (played internationally) where she 'walks funny' with a male artist of the same age. That clip may have been in black and white. She may have been a one-hit wonder. Hairstyle was very similar. Google did not help. Any ideas?

Also, how do you punish someone an arm's length away once you parry them? You can't throw so you use your fastest poke? I guess I'll try that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Leg longer than arm, use kick

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

There was a rap(?) artist from the early to late 2000's that Kimberly very strongly reminds me of. She had a music video (played internationally) where she 'walks funny' with a male artist of the same age. That clip may have been in black and white. She may have been a one-hit wonder. Hairstyle was very similar. Google did not help. Any ideas?
https://youtu.be/i3Jv9fNPjgk

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Thirsty Dog posted:

Did you turn on the option to compile shaders at startup?

I tried that. No luck. At this point I've tried nearly everything - running SF6 at absolute lowest settings, unplugging unnecessary usb devices, closing extra programs, configuring the nvidia gpu settings - nothing. I've even tried fixes people have posted for SF5, which I saw some people had the same stuttering issue I'm having with SF6. I've tried other games - rhythm games, Tekken, Strive, and none of them do this. At this point I just gotta hope the full release fixes the issue I'm having and runs better.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Isnt that who elon and grimes were doing orgies with?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I tried that. No luck. At this point I've tried nearly everything - running SF6 at absolute lowest settings, unplugging unnecessary usb devices, closing extra programs, configuring the nvidia gpu settings - nothing. I've even tried fixes people have posted for SF5, which I saw some people had the same stuttering issue I'm having with SF6. I've tried other games - rhythm games, Tekken, Strive, and none of them do this. At this point I just gotta hope the full release fixes the issue I'm having and runs better.

Windows 10 or windows 11?

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Windows 10 or windows 11?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

If there’s no particular reason you can’t, upgrade. I’ve seen it work and I figure it’s probably the only thing you haven’t tried yet

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man, going back to other fighting games, even ones as new as strive, and not having the frame data display is rough

They really, really thought through the training mode in SF6. It's pretty impressive, really wish we could get that level of detail in every fighting game from here on forwards. Now if only we could get replay take over from the +R port in SF6..

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Unfortunately, as we all know, fighting game developers are physically incapable of learning from each other.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

When you say you tried Nvidia GPU settings, does that mean you created a custom 3d program settings profile for SF6? It's become second nature for myself to always create a custom game profile after installing a new game to fine tune settings in the nvidia control panel -- things like power management mode and framerate capping if there's no in-game limiter.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Unfortunately, as we all know, fighting game developers are physically incapable of learning from each other.

It's true :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Real hurthling! posted:

Isnt that who elon and grimes were doing orgies with?

this is slander

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

teagone posted:

When you say you tried Nvidia GPU settings, does that mean you created a custom 3d program settings profile for SF6? It's become second nature for myself to always create a custom game profile after installing a new game to fine tune settings in the nvidia control panel -- things like power management mode and framerate capping if there's no in-game limiter.

Yes, I tried turning the power management mode to max performance specifically for SF6.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

this is slander

Who’s story is this in street fighter 6 coming out June 2nd 2023?

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

incorporeal posted:

We've been over this, it's Ken.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

incorporeal posted:

Akuma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Yes, I tried turning the power management mode to max performance specifically for SF6.

Hmm, yeah no idea then! Lol. Guess you could try a Win11 upgrade as mentioned, since I think that worked for one goon, but I'd wait until retail release before deciding on going down that route.