Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Vendor lock in on android is dumb. I have two of the things I got for free, one of them the UWB model, and they haven't even been unboxed since I can't use them with a Pixel.

I would have thought they would have learned their lesson on that one with their wearables. Even if only Samsung phones in the wild have the native ability to track the things, you should at least be able to setup and manage your own tag on a non-Samsung device.

I agree, and hope these developments usher in a future where we can use our tracker of choice regardless of phone(It probably won't)

Just saying that "the handful of people who use phones in the 'other' category can't use them" isn't really a critical flaw. They're not gonna tear any Apple customers away from their AirTags, and there's limited value in using your resources to entice the few people using Pixels and others. It's a case of "works just fine for 99.9% of the people who would buy one, so it's fine."

That said, as I said, I agree with you and think that they should all work with all phones, especially when they can be abused. Agnostic tracker management should be built into the core of both Android and iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

google and apple have collaborated to standardize the anti-stalker measures at least, so android will warn you if there's an unknown airtag travelling with you and vice versa

the actual tracking networks will be two separate ecosystems though

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

repiv posted:

google and apple have collaborated to standardize the anti-stalker measures at least, so android will warn you if there's an unknown airtag travelling with you and vice versa

That is really surprising but a good move. They're all NFC right? Could you make an app that just does that for any NFCs?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

repiv posted:

We flew from Portugal to madrid (spain) just ahead of new years. We ended up in the big pedestian mall just up the hill from the royal palace (major tourist destination) at some place on a corner with big windows (it was too cold to eat ouside but otherwise sunny) that served burgers and my wife's iphone started buzzing like crazy. It showed that an airtag that it had detected back in portugal, was in the same building as us :tinfoil:

It also had the option to make that airtag play music/beep, which I did, some touristy looking, very confused college girl the next table over from us pulled an air tag out of her purse about 2 minutes later after she realized she was the source of the beeping

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

repiv posted:

Yeah that's what I was referring to. I wish they would allow some basic management for all trackers regardless of brand, even if specific features were locked behind owning the manufacturer's phone brand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bottom Liner posted:

That is really surprising but a good move. They're all NFC right? Could you make an app that just does that for any NFCs?

Bluetooth and UWB (for close localization).

I just received my aramid fiber case for the Pixel Fold and holy poo poo I'm more hyped than ever. The form factor is PERFECT.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

the tracking is primarily done with bluetooth, airtags do have NFC but it's only there to allow non-iphone-havers to scan a lost tag and get the owners contact information.

it seems like all the major tracker makers are on board with this standardized stalker detection, the announcement lists apple, google, samsung, chipolo, tile, eufy and pebblebee. any other random manufacturers are probably too small a player to be a real threat, as their network won't have much reach.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Picked up a 7A to replace my hitchy and slightly glitchy 3XL.

I was shopping a 6A last year, but I wanted the wireless charging. Before that the 4's and 5's were like, not more powerful than the 3XL? Still annoying that the screen is just a little bit smaller, but the overall resolution is lower, it pushes some software into a lower res mode. Oh well. I like the 7A I think behind screen fingerprint reader is cool, and so is face recognition. It does seem to get warmer than my 3XL, but the life seems good so far.
I bought the cheapest possible plastic case, which is fine, but what are good case brands? I had this Spigen plastic case for my 3XL and I guess it was fine.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I have the Spigen LiquidAir on my 6a and I like it a lot

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I started out with a Spigen Liquid Air on my P7P. When that phone got stolen, I picked up a Spigen Thin Fit for my replacement (I had that for my old P2XL)

The main reason for me to use a cover, is grip (lol use grip tape), and while Liquid Air was really good in that department, it also felt bulky. I don't think it's that much larger than Thin Fit, but it just felt that way.
Thin Fit doesn't offer much drop protection, but does make the phone not slip out of your hand.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Lol the filter checkboxes on Spigen's site don't line up with their tap targets. I tapped on the Pixel 7 line and the 7 Pro checkbox got checked.

Edit: hmm, doesn't happen on Chrome. Weird.

hooah fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 21, 2023

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I use a peak design case for my pixel 7 pro: https://www.peakdesign.com/products/everyday-case-pixel?variant=40092443377741

It's mainly cause its compatible with magsafe car mounts.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've had a pela case on my last few pixels including the current p7

https://uk.pelacase.com/

The rubber has a lovely soft texture that makes it quite grippy. Ships from Canada tho so lol at them advertising it as eco friendly in the UK

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Fart of Presto posted:

Thin Fit doesn't offer much drop protection, but does make the phone not slip out of your hand.

I got a Thin Fit for my Pixel 4a after my previous one slipped out of my hand and cracked badly. I have no issues using this case, just hate that they only offer black as a color. The Pixel I got as a replacement was a used black one, so no problem now, but I would have been super sad if I was covering up the pretty blue color of my original phone.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Incessant Excess posted:

I use a peak design case for my pixel 7 pro: https://www.peakdesign.com/products/everyday-case-pixel?variant=40092443377741

It's mainly cause its compatible with magsafe car mounts.

I'm very happy with my Peak Design case on P7 Pro. They have bike and car mounts for it too that will super securely hold your phone if you have a case from them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use the caseology parallax on my 7 pro, it's a great case

https://www.amazon.ca/Caseology-Parallax-Compatible-Google-Pixel/dp/B09Z5V77FH/

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Seconding this. It's what I use on my P7P and I also used a Parallax on my 4a5g. Big fan of the hex pattern on the back and in terms of protection it handles my frequent clumsy drops with no problems without being too bulky.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I use transparent cases when I use one because i get my phones with colors an like to see the colors instead of being hidden behind a case.
Normally the spigen hybrid or clear

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just reaching here, but try removing the work profile, restart, then add it again. Failing any other advice I'd try Googling, then factory reset if I had no joy. I'm a reset rebel, though.

Welp, did a reset and got everything set back up. Flipped to the second profile no problem several times just fine.

Did it again a minute ago and crash.

Now I have to try and track down what, specifically is breaking.

If something got corrupted in the system image, is there a way I can reload it from a clean one? Since resetting only wipes the user areas.

Edit: not sure how, but looks like I might be hosed and will have to deal with the crashes til I ditch the phone. Whatever the problem is, it's in both system image slots, so maybe I can hope that whatever it is gets fixed in the June update.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 23, 2023

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
If you're planning on buying a Coral Pixel 7A, be aware that the color could be much different than advertised. This one is just plain orange.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pixel_phon...nt=share_button

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

FistEnergy posted:

If you're planning on buying a Coral Pixel 7A, be aware that the color could be much different than advertised. This one is just plain orange.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pixel_phon...nt=share_button

Color still looks cool. I wish I could get affordable good cases in half as cool colours.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I kind of like the hi-vis road construction orange color.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So this is kind of a long-shot crazy situation, but my Pixel 5a, which is an RMA replacement for a previous Pixel 5a, just died the same way the other one did. (It froze, went black, and now appears to be in "EDL Mode" which is basically the kiss of death.) I've got an appointment to have it checked out at a local uBreakIFix place tomorrow afternoon, but I have pretty low hopes that they'll actually be able to fix it, and it's questionable whether they'll do it for free. (The warranty is expired, though there was supposedly a 1 year extension for Pixel 5a, but Google is vague about whether it applies to this specific issue.)

Meanwhile, the $250 off Pixel 7a deal on Google Fi expires at 10AM PST tomorrow. So I'm kind of thinking I should just go ahead and buy one, and then if my 5a gets fixed, cancel the order.

Shot in the dark, but based on prior experiences, how likely do y'all think it is that I'll actually be able to cancel it and get a proper refund if I need to?

Rest assured I'm not going to take anyone's word as gospel here and use it to guide my financial decisions... I guess I'm just looking for some added peace of mind. I'm most likely gonna try it. Reluctant as I am to keep going back to Google when this type of thing keeps happening over and over, I haven't really seen any better options with a great camera at this price point, and that's the #1 most important thing in a phone to me.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Before I’m a moron and pre-order a Pixel Fold, how miserable is switching from the iPhone? Is iMessage and the cash in my wallet going to be my only big loss?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's not a whole lot of overlap between the UI/UX of iphone and Android. I can barely use my wife's iphone. Complex tasks on her phone are a no go for me

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
As someone that just switched to Android full time for the first time ever, it's 95% the same experience. The pixel 7 has a lovely unlocking experience in anything but well lit areas and the UI in general will take a swipe or two more to do simple tasks, and a lot of them won't register the correct direction. Overall, it's slightly more annoying and frustrating to do anything and bugs happen randomly and much more often overall but it's fine. Today's fun bug is that auto correct doesn't work when tsyping in any non Google app. Also YouTube keeps breaking when I go from PiP back to the app. I don't know if these things will push me back to iphone over time or not, but they are daily annoyances for a device I use this much. You can check my post history in this thread for more of my thoughts.

On the plus side, the camera continues to be great for pictures (video is way oversaturated and gross), the Google voice assistant is great, and battery life is pretty solid. I'm happy with the hardware, but I do miss the polish of iOS.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sir Lemming posted:

So this is kind of a long-shot crazy situation, but my Pixel 5a, which is an RMA replacement for a previous Pixel 5a, just died the same way the other one did. (It froze, went black, and now appears to be in "EDL Mode" which is basically the kiss of death.) I've got an appointment to have it checked out at a local uBreakIFix place tomorrow afternoon, but I have pretty low hopes that they'll actually be able to fix it, and it's questionable whether they'll do it for free. (The warranty is expired, though there was supposedly a 1 year extension for Pixel 5a, but Google is vague about whether it applies to this specific issue.)

Meanwhile, the $250 off Pixel 7a deal on Google Fi expires at 10AM PST tomorrow. So I'm kind of thinking I should just go ahead and buy one, and then if my 5a gets fixed, cancel the order.

Shot in the dark, but based on prior experiences, how likely do y'all think it is that I'll actually be able to cancel it and get a proper refund if I need to?

Rest assured I'm not going to take anyone's word as gospel here and use it to guide my financial decisions... I guess I'm just looking for some added peace of mind. I'm most likely gonna try it. Reluctant as I am to keep going back to Google when this type of thing keeps happening over and over, I haven't really seen any better options with a great camera at this price point, and that's the #1 most important thing in a phone to me.

I don't have any input on the 7a but my wife just went through the same thing on her 5a, took it to ubreakifix on the 17th, they couldn't fix it, had us send it in to google, but google is declaring it "unrepairable" and trying to charge $349 for a replacement refurbished device instead. It failed 4 days after the original warranty was up, but google is saying that the extended warranty only entitles you to a free repair but not a free replacement, and since they don't have the parts to repair it, get hosed. I guess all I'm saying is you're probably right to keep your repair hopes in check. She's sworn off buying another pixel thanks to the experience but no idea what she'll ultimately go with next.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

M2tt posted:

I don't have any input on the 7a but my wife just went through the same thing on her 5a, took it to ubreakifix on the 17th, they couldn't fix it, had us send it in to google, but google is declaring it "unrepairable" and trying to charge $349 for a replacement refurbished device instead. It failed 4 days after the original warranty was up, but google is saying that the extended warranty only entitles you to a free repair but not a free replacement, and since they don't have the parts to repair it, get hosed. I guess all I'm saying is you're probably right to keep your repair hopes in check. She's sworn off buying another pixel thanks to the experience but no idea what she'll ultimately go with next.

Are there any consumer laws in your country that cover you outside the warranty?

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
USA, so I'm guessing not so much

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I use both an iPhone or pixel when I get bored of either and they batel have any difference anymore if you keep your contacts and all stuff in platform agnostic services like ms or google the biggest difference when I go from one to the other is power and volume down is screenshot in pixel but iOS is power and volume up lol

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

M2tt posted:

Yeah that's the impression I'm under as well, the extended warranty thing seems to cover a repair but not replacement, and it sounds like most people who have this issue need a replacement. It's apparently a motherboard failure.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bottom Liner posted:

As someone that just switched to Android full time for the first time ever, it's 95% the same experience. The pixel 7 has a lovely unlocking experience in anything but well lit areas and the UI in general will take a swipe or two more to do simple tasks, and a lot of them won't register the correct direction. Overall, it's slightly more annoying and frustrating to do anything and bugs happen randomly and much more often overall but it's fine. Today's fun bug is that auto correct doesn't work when tsyping in any non Google app. Also YouTube keeps breaking when I go from PiP back to the app. I don't know if these things will push me back to iphone over time or not, but they are daily annoyances for a device I use this much. You can check my post history in this thread for more of my thoughts.

On the plus side, the camera continues to be great for pictures (video is way oversaturated and gross), the Google voice assistant is great, and battery life is pretty solid. I'm happy with the hardware, but I do miss the polish of iOS.

These errors you're experiencing aren't normal btw. Except for the face unlock.

I don't get any of the other things you mention on my 7.

Your UI isn't registering the right direction for swipes? Surely you don't think that's normal for Android??

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I go back and forth a bunch since I have an iPad Mini and a 12 Pro Max I use around the house sometimes that work bought.

They are mostly the same experience with the iPhone having far shitter edge rejection algorithms, horrible (and often broken) notification handling, a very inconsistent behavior on how you go back in applications, utterly terrible keyboard, and a UI that was designed for much smaller devices that was never properly adapted to the large screen.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BonoMan posted:

These errors you're experiencing aren't normal btw. Except for the face unlock.

I don't get any of the other things you mention on my 7.

Your UI isn't registering the right direction for swipes? Surely you don't think that's normal for Android??

Seriously. I've never had those issues. And the only place I've never had autocorrect work is actually on my iPhone haha.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

AlexDeGruven posted:

Welp, did a reset and got everything set back up. Flipped to the second profile no problem several times just fine.

Did it again a minute ago and crash.

Now I have to try and track down what, specifically is breaking.

If something got corrupted in the system image, is there a way I can reload it from a clean one? Since resetting only wipes the user areas.

Edit: not sure how, but looks like I might be hosed and will have to deal with the crashes til I ditch the phone. Whatever the problem is, it's in both system image slots, so maybe I can hope that whatever it is gets fixed in the June update.

Update. Wiped phone and it did it almost immediately.

Then yesterday it stopped doing it entirely. I've been switching back and forth with no issues.

The only thing that updated yesterday was Chrome, so maybe the user switching uses a component of chrome that was bugged for the days it was broken? Maybe a WebView piece for something. I dunno. If it happens again, though I'll have to look to see what might have changed.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

Seriously. I've never had those issues. And the only place I've never had autocorrect work is actually on my iPhone haha.
the one that gets me is there are two kinds of text correction. one will show 3 words to pick from and usually has what i want. the other one will sometimes be in place of the first and have a replacement phrase and it has never once had what i want. it only comes up when it has just gotten a word wrong and will suggest that i change the other words before it while leaving the incorrect one alone. if i wanted those words changed i would have fixed them earlier, google! i have no idea what prompts the second style but it's worse than useless

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AlexDeGruven posted:

Update. Wiped phone and it did it almost immediately.

Then yesterday it stopped doing it entirely. I've been switching back and forth with no issues.

The only thing that updated yesterday was Chrome, so maybe the user switching uses a component of chrome that was bugged for the days it was broken? Maybe a WebView piece for something. I dunno. If it happens again, though I'll have to look to see what might have changed.

Webview is often doing poo poo like this - weird problems with embeds? Webview. Strange battery usage with no obvious cause? Webview. I'd readily assume it's Webview even with you having wiped the device entirely, because rolling it back so frequently fixes stubborn/weird behavior.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My biggest pet peeve about the iOS keyboard is "I" and "I'm" and "I've" and "I'll" and "I'd".

Apple, the capitalization of the 'I' falls under spelling and grammar, not auto-capitalization. I hate auto-capitalization on my keyboards because I want to be informal when talking to friends vs actually writing something like this here. So, I turn auto-capitalization off.

Now, Gboard correctly identifies that if I'm using "I" either by itself or in a contraction, capitalization of that letter is a grammar mistake and auto corrects. iOS keyboard does not and just auto-completes as lower case. This is wrong and bad behavior and I'll die on this hill.

I want my chats to friends to seem informal, not like a caveman wrote them.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
When i go to "Google Play-Systemupdate" in settings I get like 5-6 updates in a row I can install. Anyone else seeing this? I would have thought the phone installs those automatically...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

butt dickus posted:

the one that gets me is there are two kinds of text correction. one will show 3 words to pick from and usually has what i want. the other one will sometimes be in place of the first and have a replacement phrase and it has never once had what i want. it only comes up when it has just gotten a word wrong and will suggest that i change the other words before it while leaving the incorrect one alone. if i wanted those words changed i would have fixed them earlier, google! i have no idea what prompts the second style but it's worse than useless
Yeah the second one is actual auto-correct. You can turn it off in your keyboard settings and you will still get the first type of suggestions. In particular if you swipe it makes no sense to leave it on imo.