Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

escape artist posted:

I read that Anthony Carrigan was struggling with finding roles due to his alopecia, which made him just try even harder. It's interesting because if it weren't for his alopecia, he might've been lost in a sea of similar looking faces. The alopecia made him more suitable to play Victor Zsasz on Gotham, which is where I discovered him.

I can't wait to see what he does next. He definitely deserves a lead role

Agree, and same. His turn as Zsasz on Gotham was the first time I ever saw him in anything that I was aware of, and he was my favorite character in the whole show. He's also the most fun character on Barry.

Yeah, give this man a lead role somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
For some reason I thought hank said “l want this” and to hold his coke

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

For some reason I thought hank said “l want this” and to hold his coke

Me too. And now I feel bad Miss Phoebe wasted a whole soda. :(

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Doronin posted:

Yeah, give this man a lead role somewhere.

Noho Hank spinoff when?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

escape artist posted:

I read that Anthony Carrigan was struggling with finding roles due to his alopecia, which made him just try even harder. It's interesting because if it weren't for his alopecia, he might've been lost in a sea of similar looking faces. The alopecia made him more suitable to play Victor Zsasz on Gotham, which is where I discovered him.

I can't wait to see what he does next. He definitely deserves a lead role

I finally got around to watching Gotham a few months ago and it's a fun show and he's great and has a bit of Hank's humor but is mostly just a murderous psychopath. The sets and wardrobe are sublime. :discourse:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I don't really have a grasp on Sally's character post-timeskip. I feel like her post-skip life, while not exactly illogical for the character, is still a pretty huge shift that happens mostly offscreen. Whereas the other characters I think pretty much arrived at their endgames pre-skip and we're just catching up with how their landing spots developed over time.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sally has a history of staying in abusive relationships.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ruddiger posted:

Sally has a history of staying in abusive relationships.

Yeah, that son is driving her to the brink. She should :sever:

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

"Stay close to me!" *takes one step forward*

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Why am I still opening these? ..Ah, Isiah! gently caress. Even in death, just an absolute fox.

Edit: idk what's up with "max," but after the "a nice meal" scene, the cut is all wonky and even messes with the streaming? Weird.

Edit 2: "[Mark Wahlberg] is very frightened of the woods."

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 23, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Unkempt posted:

Psych did that a bunch of times. Also 30 Rock.

Agents of SHIELD > Agents of HYDRA several times.

Also actual Barry discussion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdiIHbV0K6k

Keyser_Soze posted:

I finally got around to watching Gotham a few months ago and it's a fun show and he's great and has a bit of Hank's humor but is mostly just a murderous psychopath. The sets and wardrobe are sublime. :discourse:

Seeing the Gothic setting makes me want him as a recurring character in What We Do in the Shadows. Dude would be an A+ :drac:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Robobot posted:

I think it’s a good idea, but it hasn’t translated well for me. It totally removed all the built up tension of the last five seasons and only added the kid as a new character (and I use that loosely). So far he’s just been there to kinda take abuse. Like a last ditch effort by the writers to wash away whatever sympathy for Barry and Sally the audience may have had.

I get what they’re going for, and I think they’re doing it successfully. I just don’t think it was necessary and it’s kinda taken me out of the last few episodes. I’m sure on a rewatch I’ll be pleased as punch because everything is so well written. I’m just a bit disappointed in the direction they took the end game but I’m still excited to see the finale.

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, I don't find it particularly interesting either. Tell the story you've been telling for 5+ years, there is no need to try and switch it up at the end. Yes, I know, we've seen a few 10 second glimpses at a possible future throughout the series.

I think I'm growing overly tired of time-jumps as a crutch for storytelling.

throwing my hat in the ring for Team Time Jump Hater. I wouldn't even say things have been all that well written the past few episodes. the show always played pretty fast and loose with what plot points are important and with having stuff happen off camera, I just think they were better at it before and this season have been bad. I think Bill has said in interviews or the podcast at least 3 times already this season in response to "how do they achieve [X]?" "it just happens!" or "they just do" or whatever. things in season 3 felt like they were happening because the characters' actions and stupidities had led those events to happening, season 4 has felt like "these people get to this place because that's where they need to be so I can tell the story." the pace and length of the show has always been a positive but as these huge, insane events are happening in s4, I am definitely ending every episode wishing we had 6-8 more minutes showing us the journey that brought us there. the first four episodes I liked, really just the time skip and beyond has been not my jam

hoping for a killer finale still

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 23, 2023

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Seeing the Gothic setting makes me want him as a recurring character in What We Do in the Shadows. Dude would be an A+ :drac:

Now that you've put this out there, I need it in my life immediately.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

opengl posted:

Now that you've put this out there, I need it in my life immediately.

Yeah the Hank character would fit pretty seamlessly into that universe as it is and now I want it too.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I will miss Hank.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GolfHole posted:

I will miss Hank.

Definitely my favorite optometrist. :smith:

Something_Hazy
Sep 21, 2019
I'm still holding out hope that Sally may redeem herself at the last possible moment. Perhaps I'm wrong but she's the only character on the show that I have read as even the slightest bit sympathetic. I can't think of anything outright malicious that she has followed through with during the show, just highly selfish and narcissistic behavior. It's also been shown to us repeatedly that a lot of her behavior is a direct result of a literal life full of trauma. In addition, she's the only character that seems to have some actual self awareness (maybe Gene to a microscopic degree but last episode proved he's irredeemable). She could have easily murdered Bevel if she choked him just a bit longer but stopped. She makes at least the minimal attempt to care for her son, even if she's wildly incapable and quickly reverts to her selfish nature. I could definitely be wrong but I don't really understand the point of showing us multiple times throughout the show that she may be the only person with even a slightly functioning moral compass if the last episode is a pure nihilistic death trip. Perhaps her and John are the only survivors and form a toxic, codependent relationship that makes everything worse.

Maybe I'm totally wrong and the show really is just about how it's impossible for anyone to change and we're all doomed. If that's the true point of the show I'd respect it but it'd leave a slightly bad taste in my mouth.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

To be fair, Gene was tricked by feds with his greatest weakness. Could happen to any of us. I gotta stan for our guy Gene in here. But I feel for Sally too. Everyone is a flawed broken person, and we like them and somehow hope for the best, even if they're doomed like in a film noir.

We can compare who is more damned, but all these messed up broken people are really good characters, I like them all. I'd say Barry himself has got it fairly rough in the past few episodes, I think they're intentionally trying to distance us as the audience from him. But I'm still somehow hoping for the best for that guy too.

In some ways, I guess my point is I find it a little bit not in keeping with the show some articles like Vulture reviews keep saying how Barry doesn't deserve to control his story, he keeps thinking he's the hero of his life story etc etc, and just underlining and reminding the readers he's a bad person. But again, we already did Breaking Bad, hopefully we can enjoy a yarn about a broken killer and enjoy empathizing with them anyway, it's pretty dull if everything is about punishing a bad character and saying how much we admonish them as a viewer. It's like the Vulture reviews are spitting on his grave and saying boooo lets watch this jerk fall. I don't understand approaching a show like this that way.

I'll say when Barry started showing more of his "pathetic" traits in the show, losing it, being unhinged etc, I found him to be even more sympathetic. He's human, he has ugly qualities. If a TV viewer or reviewer only likes squeeky clean characters who can't show that, that'd make for a boring TV landscape. I am 100% in Barry's corner, and I'm a fan of all the characters in this fine show, look forward to seeing how it goes.

I guess that's part of what I like about fiction, you get to see someone's perspective. With Barry having the most material in the show, we really get to be in his shoes. I don't think this is some kind of "Villain is the protagonist" story, it's not that kind of thing. It's about a broken person doing heinous (very entertaining) things and looking for love and happiness. I'm rooting for him.

Here's my Barry ep review headline: This week's Barry puts the ultimate in penultimate!

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 24, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Barry didn't kill Gene and his son because the grandson came home. It's funny to say but it suggests the show's still on Barry's side.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i have no doubt in my mind Barry will get away with everything

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
What does Barry even want at this point?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

live with fruit posted:

Barry didn't kill Gene and his son because the grandson came home. It's funny to say but it suggests the show's still on Barry's side.

Right on, why was he walking into the house anyway? I took that to mean the open door was something he took as a sign and that he's gonna go for it, even though he was about to walk away before.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on, why was he walking into the house anyway? I took that to mean the open door was something he took as a sign and that he's gonna go for it, even though he was about to walk away before.

Was the grandson there? I was thinking of when Barry was waiting for him during the day.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

live with fruit posted:

Was the grandson there? I was thinking of when Barry was waiting for him during the day.

Gotcha, maybe I'm thinking of when he got caught and put in the garage. I remembered a scene where Barry seemed to be questioning what he was gonna do and then saw an open door. But I see what you're saying, he wouldn't do it when the kid was there.

On what Barry wants, I think like Sally said he kind of wants revenge, and he also is genuine on fearing his son seeing a movie that paints him (even more so) in a damning light. And in general throughout the season he seems to just want love and acceptance, even trying it with Fuches etc. It seemed like he was content with not killing anyone for several years too, that's something.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 24, 2023

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Ahahaha I was wondering why you spliced the two scenes together before I saw where the Coke ended up

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That guy is one frugal son of a gun.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If I ever kidnapped a small child, they would starve because I would have nothing to feed them.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Heavy Metal posted:

The open door was at Gene's house. You see Gene walk in and call out for his lawyer who was using the house. They don't show Barry driving off or anything between houses though, I didn't notice the first time.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Four actors. Five eyebrows.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Robobot posted:

Me too. And now I feel bad Miss Phoebe wasted a whole soda. :(

I'm imagining a scene where Hank keeps declining the Coke (politely, of course) but Miss Phoebe just steamrolls him. It fits with his expression and line delivery.

Now I've gotta cope with the fact that I may have heard my last "Hey maaaaan!"

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

FireWorksWell posted:

The open door was at Gene's house. You see Gene walk in and call out for his lawyer who was using the house. They don't show Barry driving off or anything between houses though, I didn't notice the first time.

Gotcha, so pretty much Barry was still going to kill Gene, just not when his grandson was there.

Here's hoping somehow Gene and Barry become best friends by the end of this final episode. Or they're back to back with guns like in a John Woo movie. Just as an idea. I like how what both these characters had in common was that they didn't want a movie to get made. Very Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Artelier posted:

Ahahaha I was wondering why you spliced the two scenes together before I saw where the Coke ended up

Chekhov's Coke.

Fuches is the worst person in this show. I always hated that character because of what a snivelling, evil piece of poo poo he is, but on a rewatch I'm enjoying the hell out of Stephen Root's performance. I'll enjoy it even more when the Raven finally croaks though. (Pun!)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yeah he's very good at playing sleazebags

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

As evil as he is, in that scene where he was discussing how the beheadings made his gals uncomfortable, his chill quirky delivery did remind me of his NewsRadio days.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Alberts not coming back huh :( guess that plot was weird

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Albert walked away from this whole mess as explicitly as possible. What more did you expect from him? Barry doesn't need another guy gunning for him. He has, like, 4. Most of whom are still alive.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

CPFortest posted:

Some of the disconnect is the show's tone as well. The first two to three seasons mostly played like Get Shorty as done by the Coen Brothers. But throughout Season 4, Barry now feels more like a goofier version of Inland Empire or Mulholland Drive, its comedic bits hewing more to the tone of Mulholland Drive's world's worst hitman scene, with a bit of Twin Peaks' Dwarf Assassin and the Gangland Arm Wrestling contest for good measure.
The show specifically stops playing trumpets during the title splash when they have decided this is more of a drama than a comedy.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I have faith in the trumpets. The trumpets will return.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

they should just use the Curb theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Heavy Metal posted:

That guy is one frugal son of a gun.

He said they had to watch the budget