Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

if we're recommending youtube channels:

https://www.youtube.com/@jonbois jon bois posts videos about lots of things, primarily sports. you don't have to be into sports to find him amusing/interesting; I hate watching pro sports and he's great. his newer videos mostly appear on https://www.youtube.com/@SecretBaseSBN, which is more sports stuff, but sometimes I just like to listen to two dudes tell me about weird hockey rules from the 70s

https://www.youtube.com/@kiwami-japan kiwami japan makes knives out of things that should not become knives

also since you said this:

harveys zoo zoos posted:

but the problem is i don't much know what i'm interested in in real life in the world. all i did inside was read books and try to survive.

if you enjoy reading (I know some prisoners don't really, they just do it to pass the time/learn some skills), there's a website called goodreads you might be interested in - you track/rate the books you've read, get recommendations for books, and so on. the internet is full of horseshit like this for whatever hobbies you have/get into. we also have a couple of subforums for books, one a little more highbrow and one a little more chill

also IDK how big these were in prison, but if you like books, e-readers are pretty cool - carry hundreds of books on you on a device with a backlit screen that lasts weeks on a single charge. lots of companies make them, I'm a big fan of mine. audiobooks are huge now too, which might be cooler for your mom than you, but if she hasn't had anyone to help her keep up on stuff she may have missed it. if she was ever a big reader but lost the ability to that might be kinda neat for her.

not really internet-related but: your local library checks out books and poo poo but they do a lot more nowadays. a lot of them are partnered with services to rent out e-books/audiobooks, and even podunk ones can have some cool poo poo. my hometown library has a few 3d-printers hanging out for people to use.

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

Toxic Mental posted:

Harvey what's your opinion on forgiveness

Like do you think you did something unforgivable? The finality of death and murder is pretty heavy and I can imagine there are probably people who'd refuse to forgive you, or even forgive yourself. Or do you think you were still overall in the right for what you did and are allowed to be happy going forward? If you know what I mean. It's hard to explain but I'm sure you've thought about this kind of thing.

i've thought about this and a lot more in the almost 30 years since it happened. i've waffled back and forth on the answer. i don't believe in god, never did even before, so that doesnt play a role in my feelings about forgiveness.

i guess overall i do think what i did was justified. there was a lot more to the things my stepfather did than what i've said. however, i am guilty of murder, plain and simple, and i accept that and i accepted society's punishment for doing so. i plead guilty. i killed someone and i wish i hadn't.

i do allow myself to be happy though. i think i deserve it, now. i don't care if other people think i shouldn't be.

i may think about this a bit more and follow up. it's a tough thing to get one's head around.

i'm gonna go for a walk now but i'll be back later

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Do you know about yoga pants OP? I'd say yoga pants are the biggest innovation of the last 30 years.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

harveys zoo zoos posted:

is this site just a cyber prison for weirdos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq2pagG8_ok

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

harveys zoo zoos posted:

this is a good one it made me laugh

the only humor i really know is gallows humor

:hmmyes:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
hi harvey, i'm glad you're out and feeling good. welcome to the internet! have a million people sent you that bo burnham song?

for reference this is the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU

For further reference, Bo Burnham is one of the earlier internet celebrity success stories, he was popular on Youtube for writing silly parody songs when he was 16 and had tons of sucess but started having anxiety attacks on stage and quit his career for several years, only releasing this new work during the pandemic, at age 30. The arc of his life being that he was 'raised' by the internet and he now views as a dark thing which allows us to indulge our worst habits.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 23, 2023

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i've thought about this and a lot more in the almost 30 years since it happened. i've waffled back and forth on the answer. i don't believe in god, never did even before, so that doesnt play a role in my feelings about forgiveness.

i guess overall i do think what i did was justified. there was a lot more to the things my stepfather did than what i've said. however, i am guilty of murder, plain and simple, and i accept that and i accepted society's punishment for doing so. i plead guilty. i killed someone and i wish i hadn't.

i do allow myself to be happy though. i think i deserve it, now. i don't care if other people think i shouldn't be.

i may think about this a bit more and follow up. it's a tough thing to get one's head around.

i'm gonna go for a walk now but i'll be back later

Honestly seems like you have your head in the right place. You did something bad, and even though you did it for the right reason you accept the consequences. If it were a perfect world with a perfect justice system I believe you would have been given a considerably lesser sentence but thats not a world that we live in so whatever.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

harveys zoo zoos posted:

Buddy, you don't know how right you are.

Been in this clink since 2007 and I feel e-institutionalized.

Draconi Ann
Oct 4, 2006

I am an Angel of the Lord.
Welcome to the future! Technology’s really improved: machines are better about taking beat up dollar bills.

What’s your favorite junk food from then and now?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i'm curious but i have seen much much worse. prison isn't a dignified place

Jesus Christ been here 20 minutes and you’ve already generated a better tag line for this site than “the internet makes you stupid”

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

Welcome, you seem like you’re going to fit in just fine around here. I would suggest starting a thread in the e/n subforum. That’s more of an advice/help forum for people who are struggling. A lot of the regular posters there are very helpful and can point you to resources that could help you out if you need it.

You will find that every forum here has their own culture/way of doing things, I’d suggest investigating a few that seem interesting to you.

Happy internetting

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Welcome to the internet, Harvey. May your stay be a wholesome and productive one.

Most people here are nice and we have some seriously gifted creative types. I'm sure you'll find your place in our little community.

Since you watch a lot of TV, come chat with us in the TVIV subforum. You mentioned you like Succession, and we have a thread for it here.

Also, I would be remiss not to invite you to the best thread on this site, the sardine thread.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

Fighting Elegy posted:

What it like "hanging out" in prison? Is there any social life or recreation? You guys ever play video games in there?

By the way, the world kinda sucks at the moment. It's probably better than prison but everything is really expensive!

the first section i was in after my intake was wild as hell and as such our movements were very restricted. we had one hour outside of our cells per day. once a week we would be let outside for 30 minutes. i was there for 2 years then moved to another wing where things were a bit better.

in that wing, we could hang out in the common areas. we could freely move about and visit other cells for a good portion of the day.

recreation was alright. we played a lot of cards. a lot of cards. and dominoes. i was a goddamn badass at slapping down the bones. we didn't have video games except for simple stuff like solitaire and tetris and similar things that could be played on a simple tablet. i tried to get some people interested in dnd but it never took off so i just read the monster manuals and stuff.

for the first several years i was there the tv only had over the air channels, no cable.

the library was actually pretty well stocked but most people didn't take advantage of it. i went there every chance i could get and read a lot of stuff.

the chapel was pretty busy which surprised me. i think i went in there maybe half a dozen times my entire stay.

we were allowed outside for an hour or sometimes more, every couple of days. i don't want to say where i was incarcerated, but it was hot as gently caress most of the time.

our facility had all the freeweights removed about 8 or 9 years after i went in and that caused a literal riot. like, a full blown riot. a couple of people were killed and some guards were permanently maimed. we were locked down for more than 60 days after that.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

ArmZ posted:

for historical things about this forum you might browse the SAclopedia

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php

ok this is pretty neat i'll spend some time going through this

quick question though- is this place owned by a collective or an individual

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

Draconi Ann posted:

Welcome to the future! Technology’s really improved: machines are better about taking beat up dollar bills.

What’s your favorite junk food from then and now?

i haven't been able to find the type of honey buns i loved as a kid and that makes me sad. same thing with hostess fruit pies.

i don't know what's out there today. you folks seem like you might know a thing or two about junk food, so tell harvey what your favorite zoo zoos are.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
This website and associated forum are owned by the user "jeffrey of yospos". He purchased it from a dude called Richard "lowtax" kyanka.

The management of the site is left to admin and moderator staff however

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

isaboo posted:

Welcome to the internet, Harvey. May your stay be a wholesome and productive one.

Most people here are nice and we have some seriously gifted creative types. I'm sure you'll find your place in our little community.

Since you watch a lot of TV, come chat with us in the TVIV subforum. You mentioned you like Succession, and we have a thread for it here.

Also, I would be remiss not to invite you to the best thread on this site, the sardine thread.

i love sardines. i ate them with ramen noodles a lot inside. i will check out that thread for sure thank you

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Here is an article about jeffrey buying the site from Richard

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
What did you enjoy reading while you were in?

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

Planet X posted:

What did you enjoy reading while you were in?

as a kid i didn't read much at all and our poor town didnt have a good school system or public library

but once inside i realized i needed something to pass the time so i started reading ursula k. leguin

i didn't start reading on a regular basis until 2 or 3 years in but the first thing of hers i read was the lathe of heaven and it blew my mind and that's not even one of her best in my opinion.

to a kid who was facing a long time in that environment the idea of a man who could shape reality with his dreams was freaking wild. i must have read it 6 times. at the time it was one of the only books in that genre available to us. i begged and pleaded with the guy in charge of the library and he eventually got a couple more of her books in. friends and family sent me more of her stuff.

my best friend lamar had been inside for 30 years by the time i got there, and he turned me on to octavia butler and toni morrison.

i later got into terry pratchett

i also read a ton of non-fiction. the power of myth by joseph campbell was the first in a long journey with his stuff.

the stuff i enjoyed most overall though was maritime fiction. all the heavy hitters like moby dick, shogun, the hornblower series

those wide open oceans, man.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i went to prison at age 19 for murder and served 27 years of my 30 year sentence and have been out for 1 year. i'm fasinated by the internet but the only exposure to it i had while inside was the e-mail and reading news sites. i want to know more about the culture and the history of the internet and learn about cool things i've missed.

i live with my 80 year old nearly blind mother and she doesnt know anything about the internet but my cousin told me to check out the reddit site but i didn't like it. he said this place might be better and i've been readind a little here and i like the conversation form here more than the reddit thing. i'm jobless and don't do much so i have a lot of time to sit and read this site, what should i start with? what internet do you suggest i read? what is the history of this site i know it has been around a long time so i'm sure you've all seen a lot of things. i know questions about my past and prison life will come up and i will answer some things but not all things.

i am earnest and sincere and my therapist says it will be good to engage with people who are interested in the same things i am. but the problem is i don't much know what i'm interested in in real life in the world. all i did inside was read books and try to survive.

i mean no harm or offense to anyone and i hope i can make friends here, my name is harvey and i hope you will be kind to me.

you got a lot of video games to catch up on dawg

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
dang, sorry OP but you're a bit late as the internet is almost over. we're basically out of internet, it will run out on june 1 2023. enjoy it while it lasts I guess.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

im detecting a common theme among you all and its all about those video games. i promise i will try to catch up when my new computer is built. computers are really new to me, i didn't have one growing up but my friend's family had one and he'd let me play. i mean i did use them in prison but we were not allowed to do much at all.

i remember another game i liked as a young teen it was called star flight i think. and a game called ultima too.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

harveys zoo zoos posted:

im detecting a common theme among you all and its all about those video games. i promise i will try to catch up when my new computer is built. computers are really new to me, i didn't have one growing up but my friend's family had one and he'd let me play. i mean i did use them in prison but we were not allowed to do much at all.

i remember another game i liked as a young teen it was called star flight i think. and a game called ultima too.

this website originally began as a spinoff of Planet Quake and Planet Half-Life, two websites run by Gamespy 24 years ago about Quake and Half-Life; so in its origins, it is a videogame community. A lot of the old timers like myself came here from there, and the community grew from that when Lowtax started the forums after he left PQ and started his own website with Fragmaster from PHL.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 23, 2023

skateboardjesus
Oct 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Serious advice, watch some Youtube wood working videos that use pallet wood and then go pick up the amount of saws and clamps you can afford and sell stuff on facebook marketplace.
My stepdad makes stupid easy money selling garbage to rubes and he just picks pallets up from behind the dollar stores for free. Makes planters for trees and other large plants.

You can learn tons of stuff like that for free on youtube and elsewhere.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

awesome work blasting your stepdad away, i recommend "Anime", tokyo godfathers for instance. if i can remember any ones ive seen about familial slaying ill get back to you

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i don't really know what anime is but i just did a google for it and it doesnt look like my kind of thing haha
dont be a pussy harvey

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I do not recommend any so-called "Anime" op, it will rot your brain and lead to, how shall I put this, "incorrect" thought patterns

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

You should totally watch Akira

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

MrQwerty posted:

also kaiji, you should watch kaiji dude you would love that poo poo i bet

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

i will check those out

the last movie i can remember seeing in the theater was either the crying game or sneakers

we got watch recent-ish movies, but i know there's a lot of stuff i've missed. i bet theaters are a lot different now

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

harveys zoo zoos posted:

if your friend is putting together a $2k computer for you then you will soon see why we are all going on about video games. they rule and have come further in the last 27 years than you could possibly anticipate. do not play "league of legends"

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

Akira is what is referred to as "gateway anime"

cumpantry posted:

also kaiji, you should watch kaiji dude you would love that poo poo i bet

Exhibit A

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Oh man if you were into Ultima back in the day Harvey your dick's gonna explode when you get your new computer and see where that genre's gone

Do you have an e reader app on your phone? There's shitloads of free public domain books you can download and carry around on your phone

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

my cousin says he is building me the computer mostly because he wants us to play a couple of new games that are coming out soon

diablo and starfield

he wont shut up about them hahaha he's a proud nerd

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

cumpantry posted:

awesome work blasting your stepdad away, i recommend "Anime",

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
One of the nice things about this place is that since it's a has-been site at this point most of the worst garbage is out of the community's system. The folks that stuck around are mostly pretty normal.

Everything can be done on the internet these days and while that can be cool sometimes, it's pretty exhausting out there. I have to keep up with a lot of it for a variety of reasons but Something Awful is a nice place to stay mostly anonymous and BS with others compared to a lot of other sites. Special interest communities like subsections of Reddit, dedicated forums, Discords and so forth can be cool but for as long as I've been on here, this has been my favorite place to keep up with current events without a million things trying to get me to buy something.

Snyderman fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 23, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Don't share porn orefrnces to faveboom

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hell Gem

harveys zoo zoos posted:

haha ok who did you piss off or do you gently caress geese

we had a guy inside who readily talked about having sex with animals, he was gross. he later cut out his own testicles

Did some one not tell him he couldn't get the animals pregnant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

harveys zoo zoos posted:

my cousin says he is building me the computer mostly because he wants us to play a couple of new games that are coming out soon

diablo and starfield

he wont shut up about them hahaha he's a proud nerd

You should play some Mechwarrior 5