Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

Air Skwirl posted:

Good news, it's getting rebooted with a different creative team.

Well, at least it's not being written by Tom King (yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Azubah posted:

God dammit, did I jinx it?

It was announced a while ago, Simon Spurrier writing with Deodato on art. 800 will be the last issue with the current team.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Azubah posted:

God dammit, did I jinx it?

It was already dead.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

batman rider kick???

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think I figured out what was bugging me about the Dawn of DC Catwoman run (reading a month behind on Infinite): I've kinda always assumed Catwoman didn't really have a secret identity? Like, she's clearly been in prison a few times, so like... I figured it was public knowledge she was Catwoman? But this run definitely implies that people think Catwoman is a separate individual (and ALSO that people know Eiko's not the real one) until Selina tells them otherwise.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gaz-L posted:

I think I figured out what was bugging me about the Dawn of DC Catwoman run (reading a month behind on Infinite): I've kinda always assumed Catwoman didn't really have a secret identity? Like, she's clearly been in prison a few times, so like... I figured it was public knowledge she was Catwoman? But this run definitely implies that people think Catwoman is a separate individual (and ALSO that people know Eiko's not the real one) until Selina tells them otherwise.

Has catwoman been in prison post COIE?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think the idea of the public knowing Selina Kyle is/isn't Catwoman has been done so inconsistently throughout her history that I can't even apply the word "retcon" to it. Like you can have one issue be "Selina Kyle, also known as the Catwoman, robbed a jewlery store today...." and a year later have a story go "Selina Kyle, the wealthy socialite whos riches remain a mystery..." without any explanation between how people know/don't know who she is.

edit: she was framed for attempted murder of Jim Gordon in Officer Down and I'm pretty sure they knew who she was.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I don’t know a lot about the Titans outside Nightwing and Flash (I know most about them from the teen titans cartoon). I enjoyed the first issue. Obviously the plan is to undo the thing that happened, that’s the solution to the mystery.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, Titans was enjoyable. Interesting they pulled the trigger on Beast Boy and Raven which felt like they toyed with for ages but never did before. Admittedly the last few Titans series have been kind of dreadful so if it happened there I wouldn't be surprised.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

I think the idea of the public knowing Selina Kyle is/isn't Catwoman has been done so inconsistently throughout her history that I can't even apply the word "retcon" to it. Like you can have one issue be "Selina Kyle, also known as the Catwoman, robbed a jewlery store today...." and a year later have a story go "Selina Kyle, the wealthy socialite whos riches remain a mystery..." without any explanation between how people know/don't know who she is.

edit: she was framed for attempted murder of Jim Gordon in Officer Down and I'm pretty sure they knew who she was.

It also doesn't help that she interacts with the Bats a lot, as they all know so it's easy to assume everyone does. I feel like a writer needs to be very explicit about her identity status if it's a plot point.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I'm quite sad that this is basically the end of the Jeremy Adams Flash run. I wish it had been more popular, had more people supporting or buying it so he could've actually gotten to his long term plans. Compared to Williamson's roundabout of mediocrity it was a breath of fresh hair and got less then half the time.

I hope Spurrier's stuff is good but I am already not a fan of the Deodato art we've seen (it always looks like a loving badly rendered CGI still frame to me I dunno) and I was skeptical of Spurrier coming in.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Big agree but at least he got moved to Green Lantern so it could get the fun breath of fresh air that might keep it from failing yet again. First issue does a good job of making Hal a cocky likeable guy instead of the blandest person whose only character trait is fearless.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Mr Hootington posted:

Has catwoman been in prison post COIE?
At least as recently as Rebirth, she was tried and convicted of murdering 237 people in Tom King's Batman. It was revealed that she was framed for the 237 murders by Holly Robinson, who I guess was a serial killer? But Selina felt bad that she let her childhood friend turn into a serial killer so she took the fall for 237 murders and was tried and sentenced to being kept in Arkham until her execution date. Then Batman formed his own Suicide Squad and chose Selina to be on it, after which she had her sentence reduced from the death penalty to life in prison in Blackgate.

But then she escaped before Batman could bring her to Blackgate and helped Holly skip town under an assumed identity and it turned out she was systematically murdering 237 members of a terrorist cell and ended up captured by the League of Assassins in retaliation and ended up in Arkham Asylum I guess on the 237 counts of murder charge. But then... she was in cahoots with Bane the whole time! Maybe! She got to appear in the group shot of everyone conspiring against Batman and Bane's throne of skulls in Batman #50 and hasn't been seen since.

All of which is to say that I assume that Selina Kyle's identity was revealed to the world when she/Catwoman was arrested and tried and convicted for a couple hundred murders, but re-reading the story most of that happens off-panel so maybe it didn't make the news?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

At least as recently as Rebirth, she was tried and convicted of murdering 237 people in Tom King's Batman. It was revealed that she was framed for the 237 murders by Holly Robinson, who I guess was a serial killer? But Selina felt bad that she let her childhood friend turn into a serial killer so she took the fall for 237 murders and was tried and sentenced to being kept in Arkham until her execution date. Then Batman formed his own Suicide Squad and chose Selina to be on it, after which she had her sentence reduced from the death penalty to life in prison in Blackgate.

But then she escaped before Batman could bring her to Blackgate and helped Holly skip town under an assumed identity and it turned out she was systematically murdering 237 members of a terrorist cell and ended up captured by the League of Assassins in retaliation and ended up in Arkham Asylum I guess on the 237 counts of murder charge. But then... she was in cahoots with Bane the whole time! Maybe! She got to appear in the group shot of everyone conspiring against Batman and Bane's throne of skulls in Batman #50 and hasn't been seen since.

All of which is to say that I assume that Selina Kyle's identity was revealed to the world when she/Catwoman was arrested and tried and convicted for a couple hundred murders, but re-reading the story most of that happens off-panel so maybe it didn't make the news?

This sucks.

Edit: what you described. Not the posy. Appreciate the answer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

This is terrible and feels like an awful use of Holly, but then Tom King.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

This is terrible and feels like an awful use of Holly, but then Tom King.

It did remind me about when Ed Brubaker used her in Catwoman and literally forgot she'd been killed off.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Holly is clearly becoming the unpopular middle child Catwoman between Selina and Eiko

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Azubah posted:

Flash needs to stop being such a fun comic, I'm not used to DC running something so joyful.

:allears:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

I need to know more about this purple pro wrestler.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

He's just one more reason to read Green Lantern, and one more reason to be bitter about the new Flash creative team.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mr Hootington posted:

This sucks.

Edit: what you described. Not the posy. Appreciate the answer.

The two parter Rooftops that resulted from this was excellent though.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Wally teamed up with him for a wrestling match and he's always ready for a good fight.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Please tell me that's just DC making Rasslor official.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Basically. He's a really good dude.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm around 9 issues into Adams' run on Flash and the writing is pretty great; the only drawback is that the art is not as good. If this run had more interesting artists, it would have gotten more attention

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Yeah the art was definitely the down side. If it had a big name artist it might've caught more support. I imagine DC just thought it was a fill in for awhile and got surprised by positive reactions.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Underworld unleashed was not a good crossover.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
You're reading the Batman Underworld Unleashed stuff I assume. I remember the Mindbender arc in Detective Comics being one of those comics I read til the covers came off. I think the Batman issue had Mr. Freeze and Robin was Killer Moth.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

You're reading the Batman Underworld Unleashed stuff I assume. I remember the Mindbender arc in Detective Comics being one of those comics I read til the covers came off. I think the Batman issue had Mr. Freeze and Robin was Killer Moth.

I read the main crossover. It was bad. I haven't read the Batman issues yet, but I see this is when Mr freeze receives his make over and retcon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

I read the main crossover. It was bad. I haven't read the Batman issues yet, but I see this is when Mr freeze receives his make over and retcon.

The Flash tie-in involving the Rogues is usually well regarded.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

How long was Killer Moth literally a giant killer moth, anyway? Did Charaxas have a notable tenure?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Scuba Trooper posted:

How long was Killer Moth literally a giant killer moth, anyway? Did Charaxas have a notable tenure?

Underworld unleashed until infinite crisis when he was torn in half.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Jesus. Just let Killer Moth be silly

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They love to take goofy bad guys and make them into hosed up killers, but it would be way more fun to do the opposite

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I would love to see more villains get Batman '66'd.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I recently got a copy of Chase, a late 90's DC title that had an interesting premise that went absolutely nowhere in its own title. The most famous thing about the title is that it was drawn by J.H Williams III. It is interesting to see plotting and pacing for a title pre-2000s where everything became multi issue arcs for trades, though Chase is really a bad case of the opposite. Outside a few 2 or 3 parters in its 10 issue run the comic feels really disjointed. The premise is Cameron Chase works for the Department of Extranormal Operations, a government organization who are very mysterious (or not) in what they actually do. Chase is a regular person (or is she) who is hired to keep tabs on heroes. It is hinted (and shown) that Chase has some weird powers of her own that she isn't fully aware about. This plotline goes nowhere and seems to be dropped/forgotten. Three issues of it's 10 issue run are flashback issues, two of which are basically Chase and her friends going "remember that time when....". There doesn't seem to be any planning on storyline and any cool ideas are dropped by the next issue.
It's really a shame because there are some fun ideas in the plot of Chase but these ideas are never explored. I wonder if the title was cancelled before anything could be fully fleshed out, but it did get a 10 issue run and didn't really do much, so....

Overall, nice artwork. I was looking forward to more though, and it just felt like wasted potential. As much as a rag on the early 2000s type of story telling which required a 6 issue arc for anything to happen (usually issue 4 onwards) this just felt so disjointed and meandering.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

I recently got a copy of Chase, a late 90's DC title that had an interesting premise that went absolutely nowhere in its own title. The most famous thing about the title is that it was drawn by J.H Williams III. It is interesting to see plotting and pacing for a title pre-2000s where everything became multi issue arcs for trades, though Chase is really a bad case of the opposite. Outside a few 2 or 3 parters in its 10 issue run the comic feels really disjointed. The premise is Cameron Chase works for the Department of Extranormal Operations, a government organization who are very mysterious (or not) in what they actually do. Chase is a regular person (or is she) who is hired to keep tabs on heroes. It is hinted (and shown) that Chase has some weird powers of her own that she isn't fully aware about. This plotline goes nowhere and seems to be dropped/forgotten. Three issues of it's 10 issue run are flashback issues, two of which are basically Chase and her friends going "remember that time when....". There doesn't seem to be any planning on storyline and any cool ideas are dropped by the next issue.
It's really a shame because there are some fun ideas in the plot of Chase but these ideas are never explored. I wonder if the title was cancelled before anything could be fully fleshed out, but it did get a 10 issue run and didn't really do much, so....

Overall, nice artwork. I was looking forward to more though, and it just felt like wasted potential. As much as a rag on the early 2000s type of story telling which required a 6 issue arc for anything to happen (usually issue 4 onwards) this just felt so disjointed and meandering.

A lot of concepts were spun out of this series. It was quite influential for how short the run was.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Madkal posted:

I recently got a copy of Chase, a late 90's DC title ... The premise is Cameron Chase works for the Department of Extranormal Operations, a government organization who are very mysterious (or not) in what they actually do.
It really can't be exaggerated now massive the influence of The X-Files was on comics and nerd culture (and mass culture, more generally) during the late 1990s.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Iirc, Chase got a DC One-Million issue of all things alongside Resurrection Man who was probably someone's pet character at the time.

Gripweed posted:

They love to take goofy bad guys and make them into hosed up killers, but it would be way more fun to do the opposite

Harley Quinn does a little bit of that in her current canon series with Zsasz and Two-Face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Xelkelvos posted:

Iirc, Chase got a DC One-Million issue of all things alongside Resurrection Man who was probably someone's pet character at the time.
Every book that was being published at the time got a 1,000,000 issue, so that included characters that obviously tied into the main story (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc.) and characters that really had no reason to be brought into the future (Azrael, Hitman, Green Arrow), and books people probably do not remember even existed (Resurrection Man, Chase, Young Heroes in Love).