Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I think they might be on to something. 25 elephants is what, 50 Americans? No way is a plane carrying that much extra weight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It's probably because of Air Hogs, a popular toy that uses compressed air to fly. They figure if a toy can do it, a 747 can.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Not only does jet fuel not melt steel beams.. it doesn't even exist maaaan... *sound of bud light non-woke beer brand cracking open*

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I love it. The old-fashioned "common sense" trumps science argument. A plane could never fly with 50 elephants on the wing! I don't need so see a science equation to know that!

Yes, that proves elephants arent real

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Have you ever actually weighed an elephant? How do we know they weigh as much as they say..

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The WEF invented the idea of elephants so that they could claim that they were 'endangered' as part of their green net zero anti-hunting agenda. They're really just animatronics like Jurassic Park and ShowBiz Pizza Place.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Slowpoke! posted:

Have you ever actually weighed an elephant? How do we know they weigh as much as they say..

That weird trunk thing? Compressed air intake. That big body? It's just like a balloon. Really makes you think.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Makes sense because if you listen to an elephant walk they're almost silent.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Presto posted:

Makes sense because if you listen to an elephant walk they're almost silent.

However, a baby elephant walk is often clearly audible in a humorous or light-hearted situation.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

However, a baby elephant walk is often clearly audible in a humorous or light-hearted situation.

Well, now that’s stuck in my head.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I don't know if this is the right thread or not, but a few weekends ago I overheard parts of a conversation from a relative-in-law.

She said that the US political system is a pendulum that swings left and right. Right now, we're in the far left (lol), soon it will swing back to the right, but it'll be for the last time.

Something something catacombs? Something something the sixth angel?

Is this qanon stuff? Did my relative hear about Evangelion for the first time and think it's a documentary? Should I be concerned that she apparently believes that the end times are nearing?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

YoursTruly posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread or not, but a few weekends ago I overheard parts of a conversation from a relative-in-law.

She said that the US political system is a pendulum that swings left and right. Right now, we're in the far left (lol), soon it will swing back to the right, but it'll be for the last time.

Is this qanon stuff? Did my relative hear about Evangelion for the first time and think it's a documentary? Should I be concerned that she apparently believes that the end times are nearing?

It's been making a comeback now that back when the US first invaded Afghanistan US soldiers found and defeated a giant with red hair who is actually a nephilim and that Saudi Arabia and some other countries have a nephilim or two hidden away as secret allies that will all be unleashed to hurt the United States of America.

Also the reason it's "so difficult to travel to Antarctica" is because several countries run a secret facility there where the majority of the nephilim are stored, waiting for a point where evil governments (it's other countries, it's only the US also if a democrat is president) will unleash them to harm the US under the guise of it being an alien invasion.

So generally speaking, IIRC it is Q-adjacent but yeah, people are going to back to like this end of the millennium or/and 9/11 just happened and Nostradamus was right about all his prophecies all along poo poo where some kind of apocalypitic angelic warfare is going to happen "any day now".

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 18, 2023

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Neo Rasa posted:

It's been making a comeback now that back when the US first invaded Afghanistan US soldiers found and defeated a giant with red hair who is actually a nephilim and that Saudi Arabia and some other countries have a nephilim or two hidden away as secret allies that will all be unleashed to hurt the United States of America.

Also the reason it's "so difficult to travel to Antarctica" is because several countries run a secret facility there where the majority of the nephilim are stored, waiting for a point where evil governments (it's other countries, it's only the US also if a democrat is president) will unleash them to harm the US under the guise of it being an alien invasion.

So generally speaking, IIRC it is Q-adjacent but yeah, people are going to back to like this end of the millennium or/and 9/11 just happened and Nostradamus was right about all his prophecies all along poo poo where some kind of apocalypitic angelic warfare is going to happen "any day now".

The sequels to the prophecy were just not as good.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Neo Rasa posted:

Difficult to fly to Antarctica? There are regular flights out of Christchurch, New Zealand. Less regular now than pre-pandemic, and expensive, but no harder than it is for me to fly to Alaska.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Antarctica has a special place in conspiracy-minded hearts anyway, because you can find proof there that the world is actually flat, or it’s the gateway in the ice wall to the bigger world outside of our known world.

https://twitter.com/takethatdarwin/status/1139287582645399558

Basically Earth is built like a final fantasy map.

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 18, 2023

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
BOL

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Tag yourself. I'm the Yah. No not that one the other Yah.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I've never understood the motivation for flat earth. Like what motivation is it for ((Them))) to cover up that the world is flat?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

YoursTruly posted:

I too prefer to get my obscure bits of Christian eschatology lore filtered through wild Japanese animation, rather than my mother rambling about some incomprehensible prophecy she saw on Facebook or in some fw:fw:FWD:FW email chain

American Christian millenarian prophecies/conspiracy theories were floating around for a long time before the internet, and it's constantly getting rehashed and remixed into slightly new forms that all follow a similar formula and appeal to the same type of person. It's just easier than ever for folks to get into now with the rise of social media, and they're Qanon-adjacent in the sense that every conspiracy theory catering to American Christianity is Qanon-adjacent now. As for being concerned about your aunt... well, I'm certainly concerned about my own family members who seem to have a looser grip on reality than ever before, but hell if I know what to do about it

e:

LionYeti posted:

I've never understood the motivation for flat earth. Like what motivation is it for ((Them))) to cover up that the world is flat?
I too am curious what the stated motivation is within the context of the theory, but also I realize that it's a fool's errand to expect anything sensible or coherent. The allure of conspiracies is in the emotion they generate for the believer, specifically the feeling that they are special because they hold some special knowledge that is hidden from or rejected by everyone else. Rejecting the consensus makes you feel special and unique, accepting the consensus makes you boring and average. The theory itself makes no logical sense, so the villains' motivations need make no logical sense either. (If anything, the villains' motivations will exist first and foremost not to help explain the theory, but to justify some other irrational and bigoted attitude towards whatever population group the "villains" represent.)

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 18, 2023

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

LionYeti posted:

THEY supposedly do it for the sheer joy of denying the Bible and working to replace GOD with evil science

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The most honest flat earth 'documentary' I ever saw basically said that believing that we're a speck of dust in a vast cosmic darkness is really scary, and believing that there's things in space that could hit us is also scary, so they don't want to believe that, and the earth just goes on forever, beneath the ground is just the ground, and there's a Creator. So like Minecraft or something.

The other view is that there's a bunch of unpopulated continents out there so they could get to replicate settler colonialism but without the land theft and genocide (if they even believe those bits) and live the free life, because dependency on wider social systems also scares them.

So they've taken the feeling people sometimes get walking up open stairwells and added in some H P Lovecraft terror of cosmos (and foreign people) and some old west/yeoman farmer/minecraft idea that they could make it on a new land and not just die of whatever super cholera lives in the outer continents.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Tag yourself. I'm the Yah. No not that one the other Yah.

Oh, is that where the sisterhood comes from, then

I've learned something today

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Dare I ask: If there's a wall of ice hiding everything, how do they know all the stuff that is out there beyond it? Divine revelation? Did someone supposedly get through the gate and report back?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Men with Guns shoot you if you get too close, so no one has been able to make it back alive.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

The summer gate is heavily guarded by the Illuminati, but if you’re clever you can take the secret squiggly paths out.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Like a lot of other conspiracy bullshit, the line of "evidence" probably goes back to some guy professing to have been an insider on the Evil Secret Super-Government program and is now coming clean to the world. There've been a bunch throughout UFOlogy, Area 51, the Philadelphia Experiment, the Montauk Project, Q itself... It's safe to assume we're dealing with con-artists looking to jump in on a rising trend early enough to claim to have been a source.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

pthighs posted:

Dare I ask: If there's a wall of ice hiding everything, how do they know all the stuff that is out there beyond it? Divine revelation? Did someone supposedly get through the gate and report back?

It was revealed to them in a dream

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

LionYeti posted:

Time to pimp Dan Olsen again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

Bonus is that the video is actually about Qanon.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the core of all tinhat poo poo is ego and laziness. they just are the best protag of the universe. also everything bad is actual their supa enemies.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

pthighs posted:

There's nothing beyond the ice wall, just a dome with lights in it. Or some say there's water outside the dome. But there is always a dome.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
There is a shifting patch of the In-Between Forest, roughly a half-acre in size, that teleports somewhere else on the planet at sunrise every day, much like the evil overlord's tower in "Krull."

Those who wander into this patch will walk out of it into the Woods of Ra-Amen-Ka on northeastern Thoth Island. This is the only way out of the icy trap!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I googled that because I couldn't tell if you made that up or not. God QAnon and Flat Earth stuff is stupid.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
'touch grass' is actually a demonic conspiracy to destroy your link to the divine

https://twitter.com/acloudedpanda/status/1660714546502201344

https://twitter.com/ShinyRexxie/status/1660324847338004483

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Babies instinctually eat cat poop. Do they know something we don't?!

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Babies will laser focus on the single thing in the room that can cause the most harm to themselves and haul towards it. Do they know something we don’t?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Babies will laser focus on the single thing in the room that can cause the most harm to themselves and haul towards it. Do they know something we don’t?

They didn't ask to be here, they're trying to speed run out of this world.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Antarctica has a special place in conspiracy-minded hearts anyway, because you can find proof there that the world is actually flat, or it’s the gateway in the ice wall to the bigger world outside of our known world.

https://twitter.com/takethatdarwin/status/1139287582645399558

Basically Earth is built like a final fantasy map.

Ok Sol is the sun of course, I'm guessing Set is the moon then because it's white, what the heck is Anubis

Oh god it's probably their explanation for the phases of the moon isn't it, if earth is flat something has to be eclipsing the moon

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sun Set :pseudo:

It's the 'black sun' that esoteric fascists love that supposedly also explains the optics and eclipses on a flat earth.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Do you ever hear something so dumb you just feel sad?

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The rule in my family was you don’t learn about the grass demon until you’re 13.