Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

Pom Pom has the most miserable life, every time I come back to the ship they're in a loving terrible mood / situation

terrible situations like "got wedged between two chairs" or "lost a button"

Do you think this is happening constantly, or are Welt and Himiko both just sick of helping and so leave it for us every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I appreciate responses that were noncombative and thoughtful. I'll stop bringing it up. I don't think going into detail with my points will be helpful or interesting to anyone here. My vibes just might not be a good fit for this social space. Thanks to everyone who engaged in good faith. I'll continue to play HSR but I'll stick with youtubers for content news and meta discussion.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

If I got a 5* LC from a banner, did that reset my pity counter like getting a 5* character would?

Game is fun, between the writing and characters, though it would be nice if it let you temporarily use the gacha characters when they are so active in that part of the story. I just got around to starting this past weekend though I'd previously signed up week 1 to get some freebies. Pulled Himeko and Bailu from the newbie banner and Bailu spoiled the crap out of me with her healing on harder fights early on. Trying to use Natasha now but with the fight difficulty jumping a bit from level 20 to 30 she feels so much weaker than the kid pharmacist. I'll reserve further judgment until I see if story Bailu is as cool as Pitch-Dark Hook the Great.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Yeah, getting any 5* thing resets your pity on the standard banner. If it works like the genshin standard banner (I believe it does), it will usually alternate between LCs and characters, so you will be much more likely to get a character next time you get a 5* on it.

edit: assuming you’re talking about the standard banner, I don’t think you can get LCs on the featured character banner and I don’t think you can get characters on the LC banner.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
i guess im dropping off this game sooner rather than later.

i forgot to log on yesterday evening to finish going through my stamina and by the time i remembered i didnt feel like getting out my ipad.

i haven't logged in today.

it was fun while it lasted i guess.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Ayndin posted:

Yeah, getting any 5* thing resets your pity on the standard banner. If it works like the genshin standard banner (I believe it does), it will usually alternate between LCs and characters, so you will be much more likely to get a character next time you get a 5* on it.

edit: assuming you’re talking about the standard banner, I don’t think you can get LCs on the featured character banner and I don’t think you can get characters on the LC banner.

Yeah I'm up in the 60s on the standard banner and got Gepard's 5* LC where I was hoping for any character even a dupe. Good to know on the featured banners, I was wondering how those would work.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

i forgot to log on yesterday evening to finish going through my stamina and by the time i remembered i didnt feel like getting out my ipad.

idk see how you feel in three weeks when actual new content drops, no shame in not wanting to run the treadmill

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can just drop the game and pop back in for the new content when it comes out in a couple weeks. There's not really any incentive to keep grinding unless you're interested in the endgame stuff and team building.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

My space lottery ticket had a 1% chance to explode and damage me massively and it just did it fml

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

My space lottery ticket had a 1% chance to explode and damage me massively and it just did it fml

the first time i took the lotto curio, it was at the very start of SU and it exploded on the very first destructable i punched :smith:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think it's a lot higher than a 1% chance.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

There's an achievement for entering a SU fight with everyone at 1%, so at least you get a consolation prize. The first time it happens.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
my sincere anime recommendation is hakumei and mikochi

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

I've had the ticket immediately blow up more times than I've gotten a Curio out of it, let alone all the times it does nothing until it blows up on the healing items before the boss. It's 100% a trap pick.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Unacceptable. If you don't log-in before I finish counting to 10 you're grounded

Endorph posted:

also everything else aside if you want to avoid like, even the vaguest hint of otaku stuff, you can. there's like ten billion manga that are just normal romances, or action thrillers about a dude with a gun where no woman under the age of like 25 even shows up, or w/e. its less common with anime/games because those are more 'otaku' focused but there's still plenty of that material. a gacha jrpg is always going to have some amount of otaku elements to it, even if i dont really think or know what you mean about it crossing into 'gross' territory in this specific instance, but if just the presence of 'oh this was made by anime nerds' stuff bugs you, you could read manga for 1000 years and not run into anything like that. have you watched skip and loafer. its airing this season. its cute.

There's a lot of what could, at best, be considered a sort of "cultural chauvinism" involved with this sort of stuff, but it's basically pointless to engage with because the people in question are usually completely oblivious about it. For many people, anything with an even vaguely "anime/manga-esque" art style is just weird and uncomfortable to them.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

big cummers ONLY posted:

I really want to get into anime/manga culture but I feel like I can't even bring up the problematic elements without being told I'm actually the pedophile for noticing. It's happened in like three different threads for three different IPs over the past few years and it's a bummer. I'm not saying we always have to be talking about it, but I am turned off when every mention of it is met with handwaving at best, and instantaneous derision/attacks at worst. I don't want to think that pop culture has the right idea about anime communities being full of maladjusted rear end in a top hat pedos but the stereotype is reinforced every time I try to enter these communities.

Posting that here is only going to get me more of it so idk why I'm bothering. I guess I just want to enjoy the game with you folks while also making fun of the gross parts, but I feel like too many of you are low-key on board with the gross parts.

maybe don't mention it in every post you make about the game.
its okay, you farmed enough self-shame points for playing anime

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Meowywitch posted:

at least you get an achievement from it

Kale
May 14, 2010

Feel like I've never seen one of these without a single Japanese game on it, but Honkai off to a really strong start and will be well funded for a while if 4-5 days alone was enough to get into the worldwide top 10. Tencent and Mihoyo are the only companies with more than 2 games on the list as well.

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.
what is honor of kings and why is it so financially successful? is it one of those evony type games?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Oneavi posted:

what is honor of kings and why is it so financially successful? is it one of those evony type games?

it's some kind of moba

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah its a mobile moba that came out before league wild rift launched, league wild rift launched in response to it iirc

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

I really want to get into anime/manga culture but I feel like I can't even bring up the problematic elements without being told I'm actually the pedophile for noticing. It's happened in like three different threads for three different IPs over the past few years and it's a bummer. I'm not saying we always have to be talking about it, but I am turned off when every mention of it is met with handwaving at best, and instantaneous derision/attacks at worst. I don't want to think that pop culture has the right idea about anime communities being full of maladjusted rear end in a top hat pedos but the stereotype is reinforced every time I try to enter these communities.

Posting that here is only going to get me more of it so idk why I'm bothering. I guess I just want to enjoy the game with you folks while also making fun of the gross parts, but I feel like too many of you are low-key on board with the gross parts.

it's ok you won't get shoved in to lockers for wearing a naruto headband anymore. anime is main stream and people are out on football fields doing naruto poses and the fusion dance now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

stopping the 13 year old girl in a my hero academia hoodie to tell her about the problematic character designs

Kale
May 14, 2010

Oneavi posted:

Everyone always asks that and unless you live in China you'll have never heard of it but its basically like their League with Chinese folk heroes like Liu Bei or Cao Cao as the characters as far as I can tell.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its mostly chinese mythological or historical figures but there's a few characters from other places, like king arthur or inexplicably marco polo

Kale
May 14, 2010

Kild posted:

it's ok you won't get shoved in to lockers for wearing a naruto headband anymore. anime is main stream and people are out on football fields doing naruto poses and the fusion dance now.

I still feel like some of the cultural stuff they try to do with it is lost on people though and only a handful of elements regarding otaku culture are particularly popular overseas though versus myriad ones in Asia. It can create some weird disconnects between Asia and the rest of the world still cause theres traditions in Asia going back as far as the 70s sometimes whereas America it feels like for the most park the traditions go back like I don't know....5 years maybe?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'traditions in asia going as far back as the 70s' sometimes is maybe the funniest thing ever posted on these forums

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like do you mean the literal 70s. like 70 AD.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Honestly you actually might end up with a lower opinion of anime if you stick to only the most mainstream popular stuff because there's always one Really Terrible comic relief character like the sexual harassment man that's in every fight shonen or the incest brother in Spy X Family.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

did bad (more than 5-6 turns) on last day because i have no wind or quantum character leveled

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

1970s. Foundational stuff like Mazinger Z, Super Sentai, Lupin III, Gundam, Macross, Yamato, Doraemon, Sazae-San etc. Also American fans seem to have a preference more often than not for low barrier of entry with high production values content I find or currently airing seasonal shows that trend in and out. It was sort of different for me, my gateway otaku thing that really got me interested in otaku stuff was Gundam Wing and I remember spending the summer of 2000 realizing how vast it was and reading up on resource sites about all these legacy shows and the lore for them. For me that was fascinating I suppose but for many they just nope out at the first sight of the sheer size and scope of it.

Frankly I'm surprised at the sheer popularity of Honkai/Genshin right now cause its pretty bloody dense and steeped in Chinese folklore and gnostic/taoist concepts, but I figure for many people that isn't actually the main draw maybe.

mycot posted:

Honestly you actually might end up with a lower opinion of anime if you stick to only the most mainstream popular stuff because there's always one Really Terrible comic relief character like the sexual harassment man that's in every fight shonen or the incest brother in Spy X Family.

I sort of want to agree but I feel like it also depends on just your personality type and how online you are. Again some of that mainstream popular stuff has its moments, but to me a lot of it gets by on production value hype and how much the industry is willing to promote it and dies out in trendiness just as fast as it ascends once you take those factors away leaving you not very much to consider or chew on after the fact. Again thats just from my perspective though from being around the stuff for 3 decades now watching new people come into the scene with a different way of looking at things where whats being said on social media seems almost pivotal.

If you ask me the sci-fi situation is especially dire nowadays, but I could say the same for the global sci-fi scene in general. If China is somehow able to come to the rescue here and "do it right" with Star Rail then I almost don't know what to say other than cool.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 23, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
China and scifi in the same sentence makes me think of this god awful movie I saw on Netflix during the first months of the pandemic quarantine. I forgot what it was called but it was a straight to Netflix Chinese sci-fi movie about moving the earth into another solar system because our sun is dead or something. I don’t mean moving with like sci-fi magic, I mean that the people on the planet planet built engines into one side of the planet and somehow this was enough to be able to propel the earth out of sun orbit and towards another solar system. As far as I could tell the tone was Very Serious and of course the only country in the world still put together is the Chinese so they naturally Star.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's a not terribly uncommon idea in sci fi, no comment on that particular movie but the concept isn't new.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

China and scifi in the same sentence makes me think of this god awful movie I saw on Netflix during the first months of the pandemic quarantine. I forgot what it was called but it was a straight to Netflix Chinese sci-fi movie about moving the earth into another solar system because our sun is dead or something. I don’t mean moving with like sci-fi magic, I mean that the people on the planet planet built engines into one side of the planet and somehow this was enough to be able to propel the earth out of sun orbit and towards another solar system. As far as I could tell the tone was Very Serious and of course the only country in the world still put together is the Chinese so they naturally Star.

Believe this is base off a short story from Liu Cixin, the man who wrote The Three Body Problem, probably the most famous sci-fi to come out of China.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

this time I got "the doctor's robe" which owns

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

This one is called The Wandering Earth IIC.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Didn't expect to win this, when I lost horribly the first time. Tip: the Preservation "ultimate" is broken as gently caress here

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Preservation gets very funny once you can stack "resonance regen accelerates with shield casts" with "resonance always crits"

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i had a lot of fun making all my ultimates go double time during the cage fighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Endorph posted:

Romance Of The Three Discotheques