Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I understand people not liking weapon durability in BOTW. They're wrong, but there's a wrinkle of truth that by endgame there will be encounters that are simply not worth chipping your weapons on, and it takes a while to get enough slots to feel ok with dedicating a couple to utility stuff like breaking rocks.

TOTK I feel is basically perfect. Half of your weapons' stats and properties are in your infinite pockets. You don't need a hammer to go spelunking, you just need a dandy stick and either a boulder lying around or a moblin horn. If you didn't pick up good weapons for a while your floor ATK is like 6+whatever the strongest mob you've killed was, so easily hitting ATK 30 weapons out of trash.

This feeds into Koroks being less annoying, too. You were borderline forced to hunt the fuckers down to get your inventory to not feel tight. I think I fed 40 seeds to Hetsu this time and I've been extremely comfortable for the past 30 hours of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

LifeSunDeath posted:

shield surfing shouldn't chew up my shield so fast, it's lame...that said minecart shield surfing rules but should also last much longer.

I really wish I had a mod on hand to track durability, using carts or sleds "feels" like it should last way longer but zonai mechanisms also chew up shield durability and I don't know what's "better" for shield surfing, if anything

I also don't know what the new friction values are, botw's ancient shield used to be The Sledding GOAT but I don't know if unbound zonai ones are the new ones or not

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I really wish I had a mod on hand to track durability, using carts or sleds "feels" like it should last way longer but zonai mechanisms also chew up shield durability and I don't know what's "better" for shield surfing, if anything

I also don't know what the new friction values are, botw's ancient shield used to be The Sledding GOAT but I don't know if unbound zonai ones are the new ones or not

There’s only one way to find out

Do time trials on the sweet virgin powder slopes of the Hebra Mountains

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Khanstant posted:

Yeah man so don't do it. I stopped smashing rocks even before I got infinite bomb buddy or thunder breaker pal. This game is so good because you don't have to do the things that suck. You don't need to climb, you never need to see the link slip while climbing animation, you don't need to plink rocks with your swords. You need to remember or discover fun solutions and use those.

Navi pop in occasionally, like, "hey, listen I noticed you're trying to drill through 100 feet of solid rock with a rock hammer, but there's 30 bombs in your inventory, 7 of which you picked up in this very same cave. And is that 56 time bombs from that bubble gum machine that had something you actually wanted in it as a rare drop, hmm interesting. Look Hey a cannon what happens if you fuse that or poke it link? Hey Listen I wonder what the Goron or Gerudo think about smashing rocks, I bet they hate that poo poo."

Bomb buddy is on a timer and it sucks standing there for five seconds waiting for him to charge up so you can blast the rock again because they're almost always 2-3 bombs "deep" That's when he's immediately standing next to you of course, because normally he's not and instead his pathfinding has bugged out in the adjourning cave passage and I have to go run and get him around something. I don't know how you have 30 bombs in your inventory, I have far less, and am not interested in exploiting a glitch. Also once again wasting bomb flowers on walls instead of monsters sucks. Using zonai devices to destroy terrain obstacles or mine rocks once again sucks as much as using weapons or items to do it: ie it feels wasted when I'd rather be using those things to smash baddies.

Basically my argument is that the whole mechanic of constantly having to blow up rock walls every five feet is just tedious busy work that isn't fun no matter what method you use to go about it, and the most practical method wasting weapon durability or zonai devices compounds this. Just give me a zero damage, infinite durability pick axe that can do all this poo poo and doesn't take a weapon slot. Or better yet just go the Monster Hunter route where you walk up to the rock and press A and boom you've mined it without needing to futz around with weapons.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Paraglider isn't picked up in any%.

And weapon durability is *worse* in this game *because* of the fusing poo poo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Sydin posted:

Bomb buddy is on a timer and it sucks standing there for five seconds waiting for him to charge up so you can blast the rock again because they're almost always 2-3 bombs "deep" That's when he's immediately standing next to you of course, because normally he's not and instead his pathfinding has bugged out in the adjourning cave passage and I have to go run and get him around something. I don't know how you have 30 bombs in your inventory, I have far less, and am not interested in exploiting a glitch. Also once again wasting bomb flowers on walls instead of monsters sucks. Using zonai devices to destroy terrain obstacles or mine rocks once again sucks as much as using weapons or items to do it: ie it feels wasted when I'd rather be using those things to smash baddies.

Basically my argument is that the whole mechanic of constantly having to blow up rock walls every five feet is just tedious busy work that isn't fun no matter what method you use to go about it, and the most practical method wasting weapon durability or zonai devices compounds this. Just give me a zero damage, infinite durability pick axe that can do all this poo poo and doesn't take a weapon slot. Or better yet just go the Monster Hunter route where you walk up to the rock and press A and boom you've mined it without needing to futz around with weapons.

I mean, there's the Goron sage ability for infinite use

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Sydin posted:

yes, basically every solution to mining rocks is just more annoying than mining it with a weapon. I'd rather fuse 3 rock swords in a cave than waste bomb flowers or stand around for a few minutes waiting for yunobo to clear everything

MorningMoon posted:

I mean, there's the Goron sage ability for infinite use

that is literally what MorningMoon is talking about in the first sentence

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I misread that, oops. IDK I like how he blows up. Deffo feels as strong as using a bomb, so it's doing more damage to the rocks faster than most weapons.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the paraglider design station launching you up so you can see how it looks is great touch

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

jackofarcades posted:

And weapon durability is *worse* in this game *because* of the fusing poo poo.

nah it's way better

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Can you redo a shrine? I just did the shrine in Kakariko and want to go back and blueprint the catapult you make so I always have a handy way of flinging Koroks around.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Steve Yun posted:

There’s only one way to find out

Do time trials on the sweet virgin powder slopes of the Hebra Mountains

some quick tests in akkala indicate that the durability usage per second is broadly unchanged, having a cart/sled just changes the friction values and lets you treat things like rocky road surfaces as grass or snow

so dupe a hylian shield and stick a cart on it I guess

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I would alternate between thunder girl and bomb buddy for clearing rocks and it would go really fast, usually I keep a boulder hammer around just for ores and rock walls, crates too when I don't feel like using gravity to open them.

I never played BOTW so I was never as traumatized by weapon durability as some people seem to be, I think this system is perfect because you can easily fill up with all kinds of weapon hilts and you either stockpile massive amounts of weapon heads in your infinite pockets or you attach something fancy from a boss you can't fit in the pockets, enemies becoming damage sponges doesn't matter that much because you'll get a really good weapon head from their head and start getting inventories full of 60-80 damage weapons.

Also think of every +attack item or food also as +durability because fights will end faster.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 23, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sydin posted:

blowing walls up with cannons is fun OP, you should try it instead of jealously hoarding a resource that isn't at all scarce.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
if you feel exceptionally strongly about weapon durability you can glitch the infinite durability master sword out of the prologue and zuggle an assortment of rock-busting fuse items onto it if you're so inclined

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZNiUJK5Edk

not to interrupt a very interesting relitigation of weapon durability that's as fun now as it has been every time it's come up in the last 7 years

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Frankston posted:

Oh cool, wonder how much I have

Played for 100 hours or more

Uhhhhh
115 for me :stonk:

I thought I was around half that before the hour count showed up!

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Cannon on a spear, aim with R, let go to fire. I've been mining a ton in the Depths and I've only had to make three so far, they last a good while.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

weapon durability is good now, sorry

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I have no idea how people are running short on arrows, the game throws them at you in comparison to BOTW, where I frequently had around 30 and was constantly indulging Beedle's interest in entomology to buy his spares. I've been firing them willy-nilly and have like close to 500.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The only bad thing about durability is that I can't surf on my minecart shield forever and eventually have to make more minecart shields

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Away all Goats posted:

The only bad thing about durability is that I can't surf on my minecart shield forever and eventually have to make more minecart shields

This is true.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rochallor posted:

I have no idea how people are running short on arrows, the game throws them at you in comparison to BOTW, where I frequently had around 30 and was constantly indulging Beedle's interest in entomology to buy his spares. I've been firing them willy-nilly and have like close to 500.

I think a large part of it comes down to
- Are you in BotW mode of buying arrows from everyone you run across
- Are you breaking every box you see

If you're doing one you're Fine, if you're doing both you're Loaded, if you're doing neither you're dropping into gleeok fights and realizing you have 4 arrows left

e: Also "have you realized you can just throw things and not just fuse things to arrows"
e2: Also "have you realized you can use rewind in a bunch of cases that you'd normally use arrows to fling projectiles back at things at a distance"

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rochallor posted:

I'm always running low

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rochallor posted:

I have like 700 something, but I've also been buying them up from every vendor in the game lol

I've also been collecting them from every enemy that drops them and looting them from chests and such.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I haven't bought a single arrow and I have 763.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

I had like 100 arrows after murdering a bunch of lynels but then I went into the depths and fought a bunch of stuff and used them

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The important mods are starting to release:

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I was keeping pretty even on arrows, hovering between 100-150, until I went on a long monster hunting spree, but gaining back those arrows by hitting up the merchants wasn't bad aside from the cost. It helps that it seems they did away with merchants going out of stock if you had "too many" of whatever they're selling, or else they made the threshold a lot more relaxed. Used to be that in BOTW if you had something like 50 or 60 arrows then no shop would restock them after you bought them out, so if you didn't plan your numbers carefully you wouldn't be able to stock up at town/stable before going on a journey.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

if you feel exceptionally strongly about weapon durability you can glitch the infinite durability master sword out of the prologue and zuggle an assortment of rock-busting fuse items onto it if you're so inclined

Sadly, you cannot fuse stuff onto the infinite durability Master Sword without a separate glitch so it's not as convenient.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Do the big destroyable boulders ever respawn? I've been trying to collect materials for battery upgrades today, I went to some mines down in the depths but it looks like only the smaller breakable rock shards have come back. I'll be sad if that's the case, the boulders seemed like they had a million times better return rate for farming zonaite.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

you're better off holding onto your zonaite and farming crystallized charges directly

you can grab them from:

1. depths minibosses (20 charges per, or 1/5th of a bar)
2. chests in the depths in yiga places or abandoned mines (also 20)
3. boss refights in the depths after you finish a temple - there's 3 per boss, and they drop an entire bar's worth, so you can get 4 batteries full from just beating them

if you care about 100% armor and stuff you'll need a lot of large zonaite for that

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Just Andi Now posted:

Sadly, you cannot fuse stuff onto the infinite durability Master Sword without a separate glitch so it's not as convenient.

that's what zuggle is, yes

it's a hassle but you fuse it once and you're done so

Captain Hygiene posted:

Do the big destroyable boulders ever respawn? I've been trying to collect materials for battery upgrades today, I went to some mines down in the depths but it looks like only the smaller breakable rock shards have come back. I'll be sad if that's the case, the boulders seemed like they had a million times better return rate for farming zonaite.

don't think so, no

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

jackofarcades posted:

you're better off holding onto your zonaite and farming crystallized charges directly

you can grab them from:

1. depths minibosses (20 charges per, or 1/5th of a bar)
2. chests in the depths in yiga places or abandoned mines (also 20)
3. boss refights in the depths after you finish a temple - there's 3 per boss, and they drop an entire bar's worth, so you can get 4 batteries full from just beating them

if you care about 100% armor and stuff you'll need a lot of large zonaite for that

Good to know, thanks. I guess it does add up a lot faster that way, even if I'm not sure how much zonaite I'll end up using directly for armor or whatever. I haven't seen any boss refights, but I'm in a position where I could get some upgrades pretty quick that way.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Good to know, thanks. I guess it does add up a lot faster that way, even if I'm not sure how much zonaite I'll end up using directly for armor or whatever. I haven't seen any boss refights, but I'm in a position where I could get some upgrades pretty quick that way.

once you know what they look like on the map you'll probably be able to spot the rest of them.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I got most of my batteries from farming minibosses. Specifically beating up Flux Constructs, then fusing their cores on claymores to make hammers to kill Froxes. They're probably the most danger-free to fight once you figure out the patterns for them.

Don't forget to mine the zonaite deposits guarded by the Froxes after you kill them. They seemed to drop more Large Zonaite than regular deposits, but I can't prove it

jackofarcades posted:

once you know what they look like on the map you'll probably be able to spot the rest of them.

Yeah, the ones for Colgera especially stand out like a sore thumb

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sydin posted:

Idk how you're low on anything and I've never done any dupes, poo poo is everywhere you get so much crap all the time lol. Bombs are in every cave, and like 3 of them around every other tree in the depths.

Likewise you get so much currency to dump into gumball machines you should be so flush with the crap you don't mind pulling out a bunch of crap and changing your mind and not even using it. I use bomb arrows sometimes on awkward places taluses but mostly use rocket or time bomb arrows if I want to blast a camp rather than muddle them or other arrows.

A lot of this friction is self created through imagining a need to "save" resources out of fear of having a bad time later by not having that resources... Which creates a bad time now when you're actually playing. Just use your poo poo and if you find yourself in a situation later where you're out of something, then just use different poo poo.

The game can only do so much to save you from yourself

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I want to stress that I am having a ton of fun with the game and after like 50 hours feel like I have not even scratched the surface, I just wish every cave didn't make me sigh knowing I'm to spend the next ten minutes doing more rubble demolition than I am exploring or bonking monsters.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zelda’s Domain
if there isn’t a side quest where Link is the best man at Sidon’s wedding I will be most displeased :colbert:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

timestamp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCztbxYdGdY&t=722s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sydin posted:

I want to stress that I am having a ton of fun with the game and after like 50 hours feel like I have not even scratched the surface, I just wish every cave didn't make me sigh knowing I'm to spend the next ten minutes doing more rubble demolition than I am exploring or bonking monsters.

If by rubble demolition you just mean smacking the ore veins, tbh anything besides the rare veins is almost not worth bothering with and those I just smack with master sword that's what it's there for lol.