Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am a TELEPHONE WARRIOR! I will touch tone the whole directory to get to the bottom of your scam service. My first cell phone was a Nokia flip phone gently caress YOU I KNOW T9 KEYBOAD

I WILL NOT REMITT, UNTIL A HUMAN ADMITS. It's that easy.

Also checks in the mail uwu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Humboldt creamery ice cream is awesome as hell, so rich and creamy it's mind blowing. The Costco out near me in NJ got some years ago and I fell in love, but they quickly replaced it with Kirkland "premium" ice cream tubs that look similar and may even come from the same factory, but have less dairyfat and so is less creamy.

Tillamook is good but nowhere near Humboldt, at least for ice cream. Too bad I can't get Humboldt stuff regularly on the east coast. At least we get Ben and Jerry's at good discounts on the regular, even if they kinda dropped a lot in quality. And I definitely don't buy Ben and Jerry's at full price, those regular prices are insane now

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Xaris posted:

aldis is cool cuz it’s cheep. sadly we don’t have em out in California yet, but they’re slowly making their way westward so it’s just a matter of time

They’ve got several locations now here in the Phoenix area, so I’m sure California is soon, especially if you have a lot of Trader Joe’s around.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mad.radhu posted:

imagine being able to afford a place to raise your family in the city you grew up in. lmao. scifi poo poo

loving dire.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

pnumoman posted:

Humboldt creamery ice cream is awesome as hell, so rich and creamy it's mind blowing. The Costco out near me in NJ got some years ago and I fell in love, but they quickly replaced it with Kirkland "premium" ice cream tubs that look similar and may even come from the same factory, but have less dairyfat and so is less creamy.

Tillamook is good but nowhere near Humboldt, at least for ice cream. Too bad I can't get Humboldt stuff regularly on the east coast. At least we get Ben and Jerry's at good discounts on the regular, even if they kinda dropped a lot in quality. And I definitely don't buy Ben and Jerry's at full price, those regular prices are insane now

if your opinion is this nuanced then you should be making your own god damned ice cream

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Time to dump MSFT

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1661059041890648090?t=F9YfizohLGGdG4Cnslj3sg&s=19

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm still using the final version of windows, Windows X

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I'm still using the final version of windows, Windows X

RHQQ2 or gtfo

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Glad I jumped ship to Linux when I did.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

SourKraut posted:

They’ve got several locations now here in the Phoenix area, so I’m sure California is soon, especially if you have a lot of Trader Joe’s around.

We have them in LA county, actually.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Glad I jumped ship to Linux when I did.

2023 is the Year of the Linux Desktop!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

:laffo: I can't wait to see how this interacts with corporate policies that are (rightly) afraid of employees just giving up all their data to unknown third parties by sending it to AI poo poo.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lol every single company is gonna use an apple machine now

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

mycomancy posted:

2023 is the Year of the Linux Desktop!

Glad GabeN was proactive with compatibility.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Joey Steel posted:

We have them in LA county, actually.

Their headquarters are here.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

anime was right posted:

lol every single company is gonna use an apple machine now

I feel like you are underestimating the sheer cheap-assed-ness of many a corporate IT outfit.

at our company I get a mac laptop because i am cool but 97% of all people get a shitbox windows machine that probably runs like 30% the cost of a properly fitted macbook pro.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Taima posted:

I feel like you are underestimating the sheer cheap-assed-ness of many a corporate IT outfit.

at our company I get a mac laptop because i am cool but 97% of all people get a shitbox windows machine that probably runs like 30% the cost of a properly fitted macbook pro.

A new PC you say?

(Slams down a small form factor Lenovo desktop with the baseline minimum configuration, mechanical drive)

Sorted. Your next routine PC replacement will be in 5 years. We'll forget about it though so basically try to make it last 7 or 8.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://www.pcgamer.com/blizzard-ex...m_medium=social

quote:

t might all come to nothing, mind you. The NYT notes that Blizzard already abandoned a different machine learning tool—one that was designed to produce environmental textures—because it was eating up too much artist time. These other ideas might go the same way, but not until they're done energising a lot of discussion in the company C-suites. A former WoW engineer told the NYT that "Leadership’s focus on A.I. doesn’t feel like it is solving a problem that individual contributors care about… It feels like ignoring their problems and focusing on hype words that they think will sound impressive to shareholders".

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

i am harry posted:

if your opinion is this nuanced then you should be making your own god damned ice cream

oh I do. And the ninja creami is great fun for foodies

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

pnumoman posted:

ninja creami

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Our city reassed our property again and it went up another $10000 in supposed value. Wtf

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

A new PC you say?

(Slams down a small form factor Lenovo desktop with the baseline minimum configuration, mechanical drive)

Sorted. Your next routine PC replacement will be in 5 years. We'll forget about it though so basically try to make it last 7 or 8.

IT has actually moved on from spinning rust within the last two years of refreshes because the time-and-motion analysis revealed that it was costing money for the computers to be that slow

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

Our city reassed our property again and it went up another $10000 in supposed value. Wtf

only $10,000?? me thinks you might be commiting fax fraud by not reporting the true market value increase of +$400k

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

IT has actually moved on from spinning rust within the last two years of refreshes because the time-and-motion analysis revealed that it was costing money for the computers to be that slow

i remember moving everyone at work to SSDs probably 7 years ago at work, because 120gb drives were getting real cheap around that time, and i could just clone their hdds and then leave them in for their Big Files because people panicked about the small size when i was explaining that these drives are smaller but make shitboxes about a gorillion times faster (the HDDs are all empty :v:)

Oww My Eye
Jun 22, 2006
Got me a movie

Popoto posted:

just keep mashing 0

the comcast bot will hang up on you if you do this

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

gradenko_2000 posted:

How much is that and how much is that SSDs are legitimately outright cheaper now? You can get 256GB SSDs in bulk for $15/each, or 1TB disks for $30 each. How much does a hard disk cost?

Serious question, I don't know if a hard disk is cheaper than an SSD anymore.

Apr 7, 2003

Oww My Eye posted:

the comcast bot will hang up on you if you do this

lol at how totally and effectively they abandoned that name and moved to Xfinity

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Xaris posted:

only $10,000?? me thinks you might be commiting fax fraud by not reporting the true market value increase of +$400k

We just had a reassessment 6 months ago.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
the pump before the dump

Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

How much is that and how much is that SSDs are legitimately outright cheaper now? You can get 256GB SSDs in bulk for $15/each, or 1TB disks for $30 each. How much does a hard disk cost?

A 1tb spinning disk is ~$45 on Amazon right now. They've pretty much been relegated to NAS service and the good high capacity NAS drives are expensive.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Twerk from Home posted:

big storage spinners are still far cheaper than an ssd. i have multiple 8gbs on my synology.

but yeah for like 128 gb/256gb/512gb, ssd is prolly cheaper now

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol at how totally and effectively they abandoned that name and moved to Xfinity

xfinity is some dumb poo poo syfy-rear end name. i have no idea how they thought that was good

but hey, HBO-Warnert Bros just renamed HBO Max to MAX! The best place to HBO! today, so lol execs are just stupid as poo poo

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

That's it. After playing chase with the download folder much of this month, I have finally had enough. gently caress this, I'm setting up a linux dualboot and switching as much as I can to it. This blasted OS conspires to annoy me in new ways every month, every one of them more stupid and picayne then before!

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 01:47 on May 24, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i didnt understand how the metaverse looked so loving awful and cheap until i saw that video where zuck said the quiet part out loud that he wants content creators to come do all the hard work and he is just in it for the sweet sweet app store percentage

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I hadn't checked in a while, you can actually get 512GB NVMe disks for $16 each now.

So SSDs are cheaper than hard disks, and NVME disks actually seem to be cheaper than SATA. Maybe because they don't need a case?

They obviously get cheaper than that if you're buying more than 20 at once.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

StratGoatCom posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/blizzard-ex...m_medium=social

quote:

It feels like ignoring their problems and focusing on hype words that they think will sound impressive to shareholders".
:hmmyes:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

I think a big driver is that OEMs are defaulting to it. You'd have to go out of your way to order a mini PC from Lenovo that isn't using an SSD.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

err posted:

the pump before the dump

Lmao I know. It's all hosed brother

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mr Hootington posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Paradoxish posted:

Bad news is good news. Good news is good news. No news is good news. It's all good news, which makes the entire concept of a stock market completely insane and meaningless.
i love it