Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Omnicarus posted:

Really cool to see a table top spinoff of the game, I think that's probably a first for a Total War game, although I guess a lot of historical TT games existed way before Rome, Medieval, etc.

Apparently there was a Rome board game. I was thinking Total War Risk had to have been a thing, but I'm not pulling it up if so. Maybe Total War's popularity didn't quite line up with Hasbro's relentless IP flogging of its crappy old board games in the 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Impermanent posted:

people are in love with our bigass sprawling warhammer fantasy world due to the unprecedented success of a videogame tie in. let's do a new game set in that world without any of the unique or interesting things.

Total War Historical games have their own fan base, and a(very vocal) subset dislike the Warhammer games.

I’d appreciate if they kept making historical titles but leaned more into city/kingdom building mechanics from games like Crusader Kings to make up for the lack of zombie dragons and machine-gun toting rats. The need to do stuff to keep the historical titles fresh, and largely haven’t done so.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I had completely forgotten about the Rome board game lol just checked and it hasn't been delivered to backers yet, that explains why I haven't heard a thing about it

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Total War Historical games have their own fan base, and a(very vocal) subset dislike the Warhammer games.

I’d appreciate if they kept making historical titles but leaned more into city/kingdom building mechanics from games like Crusader Kings to make up for the lack of zombie dragons and machine-gun toting rats. The need to do stuff to keep the historical titles fresh, and largely haven’t done so.

yeah the heir system of 3k would work in a medieval setting. add more events and minor crisis events. the province system was also more nuanced

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

I watched a historical guy on twitch play high elves. He picked Tyrion, and kept him behind his armies as 'commanders should not fight.' He lost a lot of battles. It was loving amazing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's especially funny because even in most of the historical TWW games which don't feature one man army superhero characters, generals' bodyguards are tremendously powerful units that you should be utilizing constantly.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I have a feeling GW is going to barely support the Old World and quickly wash their hands of it like "welp we tried". Idk, remind me in two years

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

I watched a historical guy on twitch play high elves. He picked Tyrion, and kept him behind his armies as 'commanders should not fight.' He lost a lot of battles. It was loving amazing.

the records of early islamic conquests are chock full of recountings of commanders deciding close battles by leading cavalry reserves into decisive actions, see also alexander, caesar etc.

now there most likely is a healthy helping of propaganda/PR making up part of these stories but still :lmao:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Oh I was referring to the old world

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I'm not interested in tabletop Warhammer but I might pick up some dwarf or wood elf figures just to use as desktop ornaments. I'm assuming they're going to be hellishly expensive and I don't really want to paint them either, though, so lol.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Randallteal posted:

I'm not interested in tabletop Warhammer but I might pick up some dwarf or wood elf figures just to use as desktop ornaments. I'm assuming they're going to be hellishly expensive and I don't really want to paint them either, though, so lol.

So just buy some already painted ones a hobbyist did.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
75 bucks guaranteed lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kanos posted:

They had a chance to do something like this with Troy and went with the most baffling half-measure possible that annoyed both historical purists and people who wanted Greek Mythology Total War.

They did eventually make a total war mythology expansion for Troy called Mythos, I've never played it but I've heard it's decent if you're into that stuff.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

75 bucks guaranteed lol

kinda depends on level of quality but it shouldn't be that bad unless it's like a lord on a fancy mount

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Cythereal posted:

Two races of short-sighted suicidal morons who rely on melee screens to hold the line (through sheer durability or numbers) while the heavy weapons do the damage, and a reliance on guns and artillery.

Feels similar enough to me.

Ikit doesn't need any infantry in his armies at all, you use menace from below and plague priests casting vermintide to catch anything that manages to get close. Clan Eshin has no line to hold everyone just scurries away when enemies get close. Throt uses genetically enhanced monsters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Ikit doesn't need any infantry in his armies at all, you use menace from below and plague priests casting vermintide to catch anything that manages to get close. Clan Eshin has no line to hold everyone just scurries away when enemies get close. Throt uses genetically enhanced monsters.

I don't have any of those DLCs.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

All I know is that the next historical TW is set in the waning days of New Kingdom Egypt and that is a loving dope setting. Bronze Age Collapse, hell yeah.

There's gonna be a 25 dollar Sea Peoples DLC, isn't there? :smith:

Meanwhile, WARHAMS THE THIRD. I'm wondering what LH they're gonna drop on us with the skulls event promo.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

on the subject of Throt that might be my next campaign. he's surrounded by assholes now but that's just more juice for genetic experimentation

I also just love Mutant Rat Ogres. the belly flop animation is adorable

Cythereal posted:

I don't have any of those DLCs.

Skaven without any of their DLC is pretty anemic. like half their roster is missing and all the lords are crazy awesome

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

They did eventually make a total war mythology expansion for Troy called Mythos, I've never played it but I've heard it's decent if you're into that stuff.

I'm playing Troy now and picked up Mythos thinking it might be some fun but then I loaded into a Hippolyta campaign to find that my badass, carry-the-early-game horsewomen got replaced by some lovely centaurs.

I'm not playing the Amazons to have some nasty horsedudes in my army. :argh:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Skaven without any of their DLC is pretty anemic. like half their roster is missing and all the lords are crazy awesome

I'm okay with this. I'm playing a skaven game for completion's sake, nothing more.

Although if the series is going on sale in a couple of days I may well just bite the bullet and pick up all the DLC.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

I'm okay with this. I'm playing a skaven game for completion's sake, nothing more.

Although if the series is going on sale in a couple of days I may well just bite the bullet and pick up all the DLC.

I love all the factions and rotate through them or random picker each time. there's something they all do differently or have to approach situations differently

what do you have left to try?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

Empire of Man

Dwarfen Mountain Holds

Kingdom of Bretonnia

Wood Elf Realms

High Elf Realms

Orc and Goblin Tribes

Warriors of Chaos

Beastman Brayherds

Tomb Kings of Khemri

Is GW not launching Old World with Cathay and Kislev, the factions that have been almost universally applauded as OW breathing new life back into the franchise and introduced/expanded specifically for it? :v: Are they hidden under "Empires of Man"?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Kanos posted:

It's especially funny because even in most of the historical TWW games which don't feature one man army superhero characters, generals' bodyguards are tremendously powerful units that you should be utilizing constantly.
Shogun 2 sieges were funny about that; the AI would hold the general and retinue in reserve until the rest of the army had broken and fled, then dismount them and make them scale the walls alone like madmen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

what do you have left to try?

Skaven (in progress)
Dark Elves
Greenskins
Empire

I do not own Wood Elves or Beastmen.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Skaven (in progress)
Dark Elves
Greenskins
Empire

I do not own Wood Elves or Beastmen.

hell yeah you've got some fun ones left to do. I'd say those last two are high priority DLC's to get. you get a bunch of lords at once that way too

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Third World Reagan posted:

Since I love his blog, this series goes into it!

https://acoup.blog/2022/06/03/collections-total-generalship-commanding-pre-modern-armies-part-ii-commands/

Basically, morale is very(very) important and if you don't have a way to influence the battle after it starts anyway you as the general will probably be in the fight since it can be the thing keeping your side from routing!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

you must not have played in a while as beastmen got updated at the tail end of WH2 but yeah the herdstone mechanic is huge for them to feel viable and not one loss away from campaign ending

Warriors of Chaos can also make smaller tier 1 settlements, as well, but they're trash and mostly for replenishment / increasing chaos corruption

So just to be clear, if I lose an army I don't lose all the buildings that were in it? Cuz that was what made me start woc like 4 times and quit.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Noir89 posted:

Since I love his blog, this series goes into it!

https://acoup.blog/2022/06/03/collections-total-generalship-commanding-pre-modern-armies-part-ii-commands/

Basically, morale is very(very) important and if you don't have a way to influence the battle after it starts anyway you as the general will probably be in the fight since it can be the thing keeping your side from routing!

sadly he mentions that commanders stopped doing this once gunpowerder was invented

Long live Karl Franz and his guns

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

So just to be clear, if I lose an army I don't lose all the buildings that were in it? Cuz that was what made me start woc like 4 times and quit.

in wh3 after the Champions of Chaos update Warriors of Chaos now have capitals that are regular settlements for them with a unique chain of buildings. these are now your main recruitment centers and money makers

your armies no longer have buildings attached to them and you can lose them as often as you want

this was obviously a huge improvement for them and everyone is happier. I'm not sure I've seen people complain or wish for the old horde style to come back since it happened

these new capitals are called Black Fortresses and some of them have the auto bonus of forcibly vassaling Norsca factions :getin: these vassals are how you solve the whack a mole of factions colonizing ruins in your backyard

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 23, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That sounds awesome!

Have there been any updates to norsca?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hell yeah you've got some fun ones left to do. I'd say those last two are high priority DLC's to get. you get a bunch of lords at once that way too

If the series does go on sale this week, I'm strongly considering getting the whole kit and kaboodle.

I just don't like skaven. I don't like their lore, I don't like their aesthetic, and they are way too funny to launch into orbit with a good rear cavalry charge.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

in wh3 after the Champions of Chaos update Warriors of Chaos now have capitals that are regular settlements for them with a unique chain of buildings. these are now your main recruitment centers and money makers

your armies no longer have buildings attached to them and you can lose them as often as you want

this was obviously a huge improvement for them and everyone is happier. I'm not sure I've seen people complain or wish for the old horde style to come back since it happened

these new capitals are called Black Fortresses and some of them have the auto bonus of forcibly vassaling Norsca factions :getin: these vassals are how you solve the whack a mole of factions colonizing ruins in your backyard

Minor settlements that have trade good buildings should be under your direct control, since the resource buildings provide buffs to your factions (ie iron gives your infantry more armor). Just an extra tip.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Only extremely minor changes to their buildings. If you want to play them, though, I highly recommend our very own Gejnor's "The Northmen Come" mod. He made the mod to spruce up Norsca so they would feel more like as if they got released as a DLC today.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That sounds awesome!

yeah they work like a regular faction now and can capture settlements. so it makes the faction easier to play

they still need a rework. I feel like they should get marks for their units like the scrap system. so you get a bit more flavor but aren't straight giving them WoC stuff. I also wouldn't be mad with more trolls or monsters in general

just think of it a Mammoth with a Mark of Slaanesh that acts like a giant chariot

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Nurgle ice trolls.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I've bounced off Norsca within 20 turns every time I've tried to play them, because you're spending that time fighting other Norscans, and your entire shared roster is "here's a bunch of melee chaff you can't upgrade like WoC with the exact same troops, and then some ranged cav" which makes every fight feel grindy and bland. It would be nice if they felt complete in more ways than "well, you at least play the same game as other factions, on the world map," if their part of the IE map wasn't a dozen palette swaps of your own guys, and if your options were more varied than playing against the better version of your roster (by staying in the northern wastes and fighting WoC all day once you get through the viking wall around you) or going south and getting tarpitted into an eternity of Empire. But I guess that's what you get for a joke npc faction.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Does this game go on sale very often? I've played the first two extensively and desperately want to play an ogre campaign.

The skull sale is coming Thursday!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I've bounced off Norsca within 20 turns every time I've tried to play them, because you're spending that time fighting other Norscans, and your entire shared roster is "here's a bunch of melee chaff you can't upgrade like WoC with the exact same troops, and then some ranged cav" which makes every fight feel grindy and bland. It would be nice if they felt complete in more ways than "well, you at least play the same game as other factions, on the world map," if their part of the IE map wasn't a dozen palette swaps of your own guys, and if your options were more varied than playing against the better version of your roster (by staying in the northern wastes and fighting WoC all day once you get through the viking wall around you) or going south and getting tarpitted into an eternity of Empire. But I guess that's what you get for a joke npc faction.
Take the new Sea Lane down the River Ruin to the Dragon Isles, get rich. Forsake Norsca itself.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Take the new Sea Lane down the River Ruin to the Dragon Isles, get rich. Forsake Norsca itself.

yeah vampire coast, dark elves and norsca benefit a ton from sea lanes. gently caress all of Norsca and go raiding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm no fancy big city trailer maker, but maybe a piece of poo poo shouldn't be the main focus point of a trailer for your new product?

This is a thing CA does with the historical titles. They do a lot of research and include a lot of super-nuanced details that 99% of people will miss. That whole beetle thing was ultra culturally significant to ancient Egyptians because they thought beetles to be the reincarnated form of the sun god and they represented the cycle of life and death. The scene with the beetle and the Pharoh was a nod to giga-nerds. They did similar things in their 3 Kingdoms trailers, like including obscure poem lyrics that basically only Chinese people would recognize.