Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I bought a copy in 2010 and it sounds pretty good. Not sure how it can be improved upon (with the late-00's "lo-fi" production and everything).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

CPL593H posted:

Roxy Music is hands down one of the best debut albums I've ever heard.

Have you heard an original pressing of Oracular Spectacular? The first two albums have these hype stickers bragging about the remasters and I've always wondered if they're any better. It seems weird to me that a couple albums of their vintage would be remastered so soon (yes, I know when they came out but the reissues followed only a couple years after their initial releases). On a related note, I was in a Newbury Comics a few months back and overheard some teenagers talking about "discovering" MGMT so I'm officially a mummy.

The copy I bought sounds really really excellent (much better than the mp3 copy I downloaded years and years ago), first pressing or not.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 22, 2023

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

haljordan posted:

mp3 copy I downloaded years and years ago

That's a really low bar though. I've always felt like the original LPs for their first couple albums lacked dynamics. I'd really only be interested in Congratulations at this point because I always thought that was by far the better album and at this point in my life I've listened to Oracular Spectacular enough where I probably never need to hear it again. I remember when Congratulations came out people lost their poo poo because it went in a different direction and was more of a psych rock album than a dancey thing. But I always found the people who said that to be folk who never listed to the b-side of the first record. It's weird to me how big MGMT was and how little anyone ever talks about them anymore.

I have opinions about MGMT.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Edit

2DCAT fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 22, 2023

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Edit

2DCAT fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 22, 2023

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Vintersorg posted:

Ok side A of this Flock of Seagulls record is legit good. I mainly bought for Space Age Love Song but wow, good stuff here.

Wishing was always so much better than I Ran imo

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

2DCAT posted:

Wishing was always so much better than I Ran imo

Similarly, this was a-ha's greatest song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ir9HC9vYg

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CPL593H posted:

That's a really low bar though. I've always felt like the original LPs for their first couple albums lacked dynamics. I'd really only be interested in Congratulations at this point because I always thought that was by far the better album and at this point in my life I've listened to Oracular Spectacular enough where I probably never need to hear it again. I remember when Congratulations came out people lost their poo poo because it went in a different direction and was more of a psych rock album than a dancey thing. But I always found the people who said that to be folk who never listed to the b-side of the first record. It's weird to me how big MGMT was and how little anyone ever talks about them anymore.

I have opinions about MGMT.

They seem a bit like Gotye in that they accidentally made a radio hit but it wasn't really what they were about creatively.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

2DCAT posted:

Similarly, this was a-ha's greatest song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ir9HC9vYg

:hmmyes:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

They seem a bit like Gotye in that they accidentally made a radio hit but it wasn't really what they were about creatively.

Now he's just somebody that we use to know.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

stumbled into a copy of the first tin machine record for $35 which then rung up at $18, which I will absolutely take

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

Not a single bit of merch at tonight's Dan Deacon show. I need that Well Groomed soundtrack vinyl. :argh:

How was that show? I was bummed to miss it, but it conflicted with Cruel World and I figured since I saw him last time through it'd be okay. But being at the Fir (and one of the last shows before they close ["move"]), I'm harbouring a little regret.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

marjorie posted:

How was that show? I was bummed to miss it, but it conflicted with Cruel World and I figured since I saw him last time through it'd be okay. But being at the Fir (and one of the last shows before they close ["move"]), I'm harbouring a little regret.
I hit the early show. I don't know how the late show ended up, Dan said at the beginning that they'd been awake and travelling since 1 AM the previous night so we were definitely gonna get the better set. Dude still brought it and it's always great to see him with Jeremy Hyman on drums. Last week was a real gauntlet of shows, I ended up hitting Gary Numan, Jerry Harrison and Adrien Belew doing Remain in Light, Dan Deacon and Mr. Bungle last night. :hellyeah:

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

I hit the early show. I don't know how the late show ended up, Dan said at the beginning that they'd been awake and travelling since 1 AM the previous night so we were definitely gonna get the better set. Dude still brought it and it's always great to see him with Jeremy Hyman on drums. Last week was a real gauntlet of shows, I ended up hitting Gary Numan, Jerry Harrison and Adrien Belew doing Remain in Light, Dan Deacon and Mr. Bungle last night. :hellyeah:

Ah drat, yeah I had late show tickets. At least I sold them to a big fan who said he missed him last time around. Flight didn't get in early enough for Mr. Bungle either, but my buddy went and said it was killer.

Cruel World was kinda a poo poo show at the end (also considering that Adam Ant cancelled about a day before) - we were watching a very silly Human League set, about to head over to Iggy Pop before Siouxsie came on, and like 3 songs in it was interrupted with an announcement that there was lightning in the vicinity so everyone had to leave the festival right then. Cue an absolute clusterfuck as the entire festival exited at once. We ended up saying gently caress the insane shuttle\ride share lines outside the gates and walked about a mile or so up a hill away from the Rose Bowl and were able to get a Lyft out about 20 minutes after that. All that being said, I feel like there was surprising order to everything given the amount of drunk people who were probably pissed at missing the headliner. I guess having an average age of about 50 there meant that the attendees tended to be more tired drunk than destructive drunk haha. They also had a decent follow-up for it by putting on a makeup show with Gary Neuman, Iggy, and an extended Siouxsie set the next evening, so those who could stay kinda made out.

My take away from the sets was that Love and Rockets absolutely killed it, and ABC was tight as hell. Echo and Modern English were great, but I'd seen them both at smaller venues here last year, which I enjoyed more. Also, we expanded this year and had 7 in our crew (up from 4 last year), which in some ways made it easier for my friend and I to do our own thing when we wanted, but also made that crazy ending way more complicated because we were all in different spots when it happened. Festivals, man.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nightmare Cinema posted:

This poo poo's getting really out of hand [one day haul]

That Neil Young album is...something.

He did a concert in Berlin and performed "Sample and Hold", "Computer Age", and "Transformer Man" live.

"Sample and Hold" kicks rear end.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
A perfect night to Zelda and Chill

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

marjorie posted:

Also, we expanded this year and had 7 in our crew (up from 4 last year)
Hell yeah! My friends circle is made up of festival crew (though I met a bunch of them randomly at a Residents show, natch) and it always seems we pick up people from fest to fest, there's probably about 50 of us scattered between Portland to Vancover, BC. It's dope knowing no matter what festival I land at, there's probably a dozen of us there.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Mister Kingdom posted:

That Neil Young album is...something.

He did a concert in Berlin and performed "Sample and Hold", "Computer Age", and "Transformer Man" live.

"Sample and Hold" kicks rear end.

Best "worst" album ever.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Frozen Peach posted:

A perfect night to Zelda and Chill

Hell yeah, I have a "lo-fi Majora's Mask" record that I adore to pieces.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I got the 10th anniversary release for Daft Punk’s RAM today. I haven’t listened to the album in ages but I think after disliking it when it released I’ve landed on loving it.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Mr E posted:

I got the 10th anniversary release for Daft Punk’s RAM today. I haven’t listened to the album in ages but I think after disliking it when it released I’ve landed on loving it.

It’s their best album.

My housemate at the time got so angry about RAM because she was convinced that it was just a placeholder for a 'real' album, meanwhile I was getting my yacht rock groove on. I loved it then and I still love it now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Creature posted:

It’s their best album.

My housemate at the time got so angry about RAM because she was convinced that it was just a placeholder for a 'real' album, meanwhile I was getting my yacht rock groove on. I loved it then and I still love it now.

I think everyone was waiting for them to do what Justice did with Woman via Woman Worldwide and give us a club banger remix album

and maybe even they thought they'd do that but at the same time it seems like that whole experience just sapped up all they had left in the tank for music

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Thanks again to whoever brought up Newbury Comics and their discount bin.

Also very happy this came in yesterday as well
haven't had a chance to look at either disc yet to see how the colors look but I will....eventually.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I need that new Boingo Alive reissue but I don't got no $72.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mr E posted:

Jesus Christ, that was ten years ago?

Oh god...my life.

joylessdivision posted:

Thanks again to whoever brought up Newbury Comics and their discount bin.

Also very happy this came in yesterday as well
haven't had a chance to look at either disc yet to see how the colors look but I will....eventually.

IT WAS I!

I always check that bin because I live in a very square place so the cool poo poo often hangs around and ends up getting dumped in the sale bin. I got the most recent Tropical gently caress Storm album there for ten bucks.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CPL593H posted:

Jesus Christ, that was ten years ago?

Oh god...my life.

IT WAS I!

I always check that bin because I live in a very square place so the cool poo poo often hangs around and ends up getting dumped in the sale bin. I got the most recent Tropical gently caress Storm album there for ten bucks.

I'm just happy to find any place online where I can get cool records I want without having to pay absurd prices for them, and thankfully they had that Carpenter record for like...$14 or something absurd like that. Was $20 something with shipping so I got that going for me.

I'm also extremely excited about the batch of records I ordered from Plaid Room Records, but I'll share those when they arrive sometime next week.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I'm glad people are finding stuff they want from Newbury! The sale section gets updated fairly regularly so it's worth checking every week or so.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
My copy of The Hotelier's Goodness came and gently caress disc 1 is warped as hell, and side A gets stuck in a loud popping loop near the end. I emailed the place I bought it from (Steadfast Records), but who knows what they'll do. Their site says they only have 1 copy remaining and I'm not buying another one.

My copy of Oso Oso's Real Stories of True People, Who Kind of Looked Like Monsters came also.

And I ordered 2 Get Up Kids albums from Newbury and those came as well, both glow in the dark which is just a weird gimmick but they were in the under-15$ section so not really a big deal. Those also arrived.

My copy of The Format's Interventions And Lullabies has been stuck in Lansing, MI for like 2 days now, however.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

RubberLuffy posted:

My copy of The Format's Interventions And Lullabies has been stuck in Lansing, MI for like 2 days now, however.

Don't feel too bad, I ordered like 3 or 4 records from a place in Oakland. I live very close to Oakland.

Somehow, through the brilliance of the USPS, they went to Berkeley, then LA, and then to me. serves me right for being a lazy rear end in a top hat I suppose :v:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

joylessdivision posted:

Don't feel too bad, I ordered like 3 or 4 records from a place in Oakland. I live very close to Oakland.

Somehow, through the brilliance of the USPS, they went to Berkeley, then LA, and then to me. serves me right for being a lazy rear end in a top hat I suppose :v:

I just checked and it's now in Detroit. I live like an hour northwest of Detroit. Lansing is like an hour and a half west of me. It spent the weekend in Grand Rapids which is like 2 hours west. Before it was in GR, it was in Pontiac which I live very close to. It originally came from North Carolina.

This record has spent like 5 extra days traveling Michigan for no reason. I have no idea what the USPS is doing.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I was looking for storage solutions for my 45 problem and here was the banner on amazon.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

sporklift posted:

I was looking for storage solutions for my 45 problem and here was the banner on amazon.

All those loving apostrophes :shepicide:

Fake edit: excuse me

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

sporklift posted:

I have these for my CDs, DVDs, and Blurays. They’re okay for the price, but not the best. I wouldn’t try the vinyl sized ones though. I can’t imagine they’d hold the weight well.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

IUG posted:

I have these for my CDs, DVDs, and Blurays. They’re okay for the price, but not the best. I wouldn’t try the vinyl sized ones though. I can’t imagine they’d hold the weight well.

Yeah. I was more laughing at Vinyl's but I did end up getting some for the 7". They seem fine. I'm not gonna be moving it around much. I wish the box wasn't so deep so I could flip through the vinyl's easier.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's the vinyl's box. It belongs to the vinyl's.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Impulse shopping will be the death of me. Local shop, Into the Music, posted some of their new stuff that came in and I then I saw they had Soundgarden's debut, Ultramega OK! The post was only 25 minutes old and already had someone asking about price. Called up and thankfully still there - $78 CAD. gently caress it. Lets do it. Also reserved Krokus' Headhunter cause that album loving kills (Night Wolf and Stand And Be Counted are classics)... then I dug more and gently caress me. Thankfully everything else was cheap and they do 10% off if you spend more than $100 for some reason.

Krokus - Headhunter
Krokus - Change of Address
Joe Walsh - There Goes the Neighborhood (Love "Life of Illusion")
Soundgarden - Ultramega OK (SST-01 - unsure if its the 1988 original or the 2012 reissue - prob latter as it seems to be pristine. Came with a little insert with a band photo and on the flipside credits which Discogs shows as only on the 1988 one... who cares tho)
Toto - S/T (I for some reason confused the song "Only Time Will Tell" by Asia for Toto lol but this album is alright too - pretty sure I don't have it but gonna double check when I get back)
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly (I adore Steely Dan and this album just continues those vibes)

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 24, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1661443494076989440

:smith:

Vintersorg posted:

Joe Walsh - There Goes the Neighborhood (Love "Life of Illusion")

From a different album, but I still say Joe Walsh helped invent vaporwave. :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1d4kgFRlQY

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 24, 2023

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

everything I ordered finally came.

Oso Oso - Real Stories Of True People, Who Kind Of Looked Like Monsters (half black half purple vinyl)
The Hotelier - Goodness (yes I censored this because it's a group of fully nude 70 year olds and I'd rather not risk it when sharing this) (2xLP one blue and one orange)
The Format - Interventions And Lullabies (blue with yellow splatter)
The Get Up Kids - Guilt Show and On A Wire (both green glow in the dark)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I have Private Dancer and I am gonna spin that when I get home. Goddamn RIP. My mom played that album all the time growing up. The title song is so loving GOOD.

Also confirmed my Soundgarden is the 88 original since the 2012 remaster doesn't have One Minute of Silence and mine does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

joylessdivision posted:

I'm just happy to find any place online where I can get cool records I want without having to pay absurd prices for them, and thankfully they had that Carpenter record for like...$14 or something absurd like that. Was $20 something with shipping so I got that going for me.

I'm also extremely excited about the batch of records I ordered from Plaid Room Records, but I'll share those when they arrive sometime next week.

I've found so much awesome poo poo in there. I'm glad you did too.

sporklift posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcAYMb5uk4

RubberLuffy posted:

everything I ordered finally came.

Oso Oso - Real Stories Of True People, Who Kind Of Looked Like Monsters (half black half purple vinyl)
The Hotelier - Goodness (yes I censored this because it's a group of fully nude 70 year olds and I'd rather not risk it when sharing this) (2xLP one blue and one orange)
The Format - Interventions And Lullabies (blue with yellow splatter)
The Get Up Kids - Guilt Show and On A Wire (both green glow in the dark)

Oh poo poo, you got the limited edition paper towel edition!? That thing's going for like 300 bucks on discogs right now.