Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Using small words can someone explain The Dark King to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's all guesswork until EatD2.

Ultimately though, the Heresy seems to have been waged to bring about an entity known as the Dark King.

Guesses range from a new chaos god to the eternally crippled emperor.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

notaspy posted:

Using small words can someone explain The Dark King to me?

Behold the Dark King

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The clearest explanation is that what happened to the Eldar wasn’t a one-off but the “inevitable” result of any species reaching a sufficient level psychic development, and humanity is reaching that point. The Dark King is the Chaos god that would be born from the apotheosis and sacrifice of humanity.

The reason the Chaos Gods worked so hard and invested so much energy - and took such a tremendous risk - to make the Heresy happen is that the Emperor’s grand project was to save humanity from this fate by permanently cutting them off from the Warp. They had to stop Him in order for the Dark King to be born.

This explains a lot of stuff, incidentally - why the Emperor felt He had to act with what Erda calls “unseemly haste,” why the birth of Slaanesh triggered Him to embark on this stage of His plan, why the Chaos Gods care so drat much who rules over a bunch of mortals anyways. It also explains what happened on Molech; the Emperor went through the portal, the Chaos Gods offered Him the position of Dark King, and He accepted with no intention of actually following through. When Horus went through the Chaos Gods offered him the role instead and explained what he’d have to do to get it. This is why after Molech, Horus began to appear more distant and insane.

In-universe the characters, up to and including the Emperor, appear to believe that the entire Heresy is a mass sacrifice ritual meant to empower Horus to ascend as the Dark King. However there’s some hints that the Heresy is actually a trap laid for the Emperor by the Chaos Gods and that the goal is to force Him to unleash His full power inside the Vengeful Spirit, an active Warp/real space overlay, at a moment of great ritual significance coinciding with the sacrificial deaths of billions.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Wraithbone Phoenix did a really good job of introducing a dozen factions and then having them go to war over the titular xenosculpture. Well written slices of life as well.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Finished Trazyn and Orikan's Excellent Adventure. The final action sequence dragged a bit and I lost focus several times, but other than that it was excellent, and it's a rare BL book that manages to pull off a truly great final action sequence imo. Onto The Hollow Mountain.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I want another aspect book on the Eldar but for Warp Spiders. I assume they’re just the most deranged and ork like eldar around.

Teleporting momentarily into the warp which specifically wants to eat their souls because they can’t be arsed to walk.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Plucky Brit posted:

Sanguinius already had his moment beating (and humiliating) Daemonic Angron. Beating Horus as well would be a step too far.

This is the biggest flaw in my prediction tbh

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Warhammer Boltgun is out. It's a ton of fun. Feels appropriately heavy as far as your character and the weapons go. Tons of gore and secrets and powerups. Definitely recommend.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I appreciate boltgun reviving the “talk poo poo” button from 50 cent blood on the sand.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

D-Pad posted:

Warhammer Boltgun is out. It's a ton of fun. Feels appropriately heavy as far as your character and the weapons go. Tons of gore and secrets and powerups. Definitely recommend.

Agreed, although our Ultramarine pal is suprisingly agile, somehow he can accelerate in mid air and launch himself to chainsaw fools, I love it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Just more proof that Doomguy is one of the two missing Primarchs.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Man I want a physical copy of Boltgun pretty badly. Any word on whether that’s gonna exist?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope someone starts making Cadia and Armageddon WADs.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The clearest explanation is that what happened to the Eldar wasn’t a one-off but the “inevitable” result of any species reaching a sufficient level psychic development, and humanity is reaching that point. The Dark King is the Chaos god that would be born from the apotheosis and sacrifice of humanity.

The reason the Chaos Gods worked so hard and invested so much energy - and took such a tremendous risk - to make the Heresy happen is that the Emperor’s grand project was to save humanity from this fate by permanently cutting them off from the Warp. They had to stop Him in order for the Dark King to be born.

This explains a lot of stuff, incidentally - why the Emperor felt He had to act with what Erda calls “unseemly haste,” why the birth of Slaanesh triggered Him to embark on this stage of His plan, why the Chaos Gods care so drat much who rules over a bunch of mortals anyways. It also explains what happened on Molech; the Emperor went through the portal, the Chaos Gods offered Him the position of Dark King, and He accepted with no intention of actually following through. When Horus went through the Chaos Gods offered him the role instead and explained what he’d have to do to get it. This is why after Molech, Horus began to appear more distant and insane.

In-universe the characters, up to and including the Emperor, appear to believe that the entire Heresy is a mass sacrifice ritual meant to empower Horus to ascend as the Dark King. However there’s some hints that the Heresy is actually a trap laid for the Emperor by the Chaos Gods and that the goal is to force Him to unleash His full power inside the Vengeful Spirit, an active Warp/real space overlay, at a moment of great ritual significance coinciding with the sacrificial deaths of billions.

That's a pretty good guess, honestly. Taking the generally accepted by the fanbase wisdom that unplugging the Emperor from his life support on the Golden Throne would be a really good idea because it'd mean letting him ascend to the Warp so he can start kicking Chaos' rear end on its home turf and twisting that to "no, actually, the Emperor is an embyronic fifth Chaos God and that chair is the last barrier keeping humanity from an Eldar-level Chaos Birth Event... oh, and don't forget, the chair is actively failing and nobody can fix it" would be both in keeping with the general grimdark philosophy and yet somehow also an honestly really neat twist.

And on that note, have they said word one about End and the Death Part 2 yet? Literally anything beyond when they announced that the "last" Siege book would be EatD part 1 and Abnett would be writing both parts?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
If the Emp was a real god like Gork and Mork he would've already ascended and kicked rear end.

Once again the Orks have it the best in the setting.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Man I want a physical copy of Boltgun pretty badly. Any word on whether that’s gonna exist?

how many discs does it come on

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I'm guessing they'll stick with the beginning of your last paragraph because there will be an ocean of middle aged man tears if they don't get their dream scenario exactly as they've always imagined.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m sure Abnett will nail the ending

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

euphronius posted:

I’m sure Abnett will nail the ending

The book will end with the dying Emperor whispering like a wet leopard growl to Rogal Dorn, calling it now.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Angry Lobster posted:

The book will end with the dying Emperor whispering like a wet leopard growl to Rogal Dorn, calling it now.

"I was there the day that Horus killed me, the Emperor"

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

von Metternich posted:

"I was there the day that Horus killed me, the Emperor"

Actual lol

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I'm pretty sure that the Golden throne is necron technology and the necrons could fix it if they wanted to, which they don't.

This is based on nothing

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

It might be eldar, per implications in Carrion Throne.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

sharknado slashfic posted:

I thought that they basically confirm this in the book?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

I mean, he stole all his other ideas from them so why not, really.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Throne is built out of all sorts of crazy stuff, wrathbone included. Emps looted the entire galaxy to make it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

its both

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I haven't read it in a while tbh.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

There's conflicting in-book stories about Big E finding or making the Throne, which I take to mean he found the core of it and then built everything else around it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

*Emperor ascending to become the 5th Chaos Power*

"You're probably wondering how I got here?"

*Baba O'Riley kicks in*

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Agreed, although our Ultramarine pal is suprisingly agile, somehow he can accelerate in mid air and launch himself to chainsaw fools, I love it.

Not that surprising really. Space Marines are tanks that can do parkour and ballet. If they weren't the "Can breakdance through a 12 heavy bolter crossfire while doing their taxes" Eldar would have wiped them out ages ago.

Boltgun made a great first impression though. Chainsaw charged at a dude on a ramp and got stuck in the floor. Quick reload fixed it and it hasn't happened again since though.

DaysBefore posted:

The Throne is the British Museum

i thought that was just trazyn

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 24, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

wiegieman posted:

The Throne is built out of all sorts of crazy stuff, wrathbone included. Emps looted the entire galaxy to make it.

The Throne is the British Museum

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Boltgun and all is good and great, but where the gently caress is Spears of The Emperor 2??? Black Legion 3?? A date for the second part of End and Death?

I understand that books aren’t the main income for Games Workshop but I was really let down by Son of The Forest, I need something new and gripping, now.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

EmbryoSteve posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Golden throne is necron technology and the necrons could fix it if they wanted to, which they don't.

This is based on nothing

41k endgame... the custodes find the throne missing and Trazyn gets a new piece for his collection

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Flytrap posted:

Not that surprising really. Space Marines are tanks that can do parkour and ballet. If they weren't the "Can breakdance through a 12 heavy bolter crossfire while doing their taxes" Eldar would have wiped them out ages ago.

Once again Astartes really nails the effect. They plod along like tanks because they don't give a poo poo about your puny weapons but when they need to they can really move.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

What was the Throne *originally* supposed to do? Not just before it became Emps' life support, but before Magnus hosed up the Webway portal and someone had to sit in it to plug the hole.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Emps was using it as a focusing device, basically. Before Magnus hosed up it allowed the Emperor to keep a significant chunk of the warp compromised webway insulated and safe for human habitation.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

NihilCredo posted:

What was the Throne *originally* supposed to do? Not just before it became Emps' life support, but before Magnus hosed up the Webway portal and someone had to sit in it to plug the hole.

Be a portal/major nexus into the Webway for humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Think Professor X's Cerebro but amped up to Warhammer excessiveness.