Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
Hmmm seems bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I always love the "wow, a save!" cheer

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
well fair or not Jake Oettinger will definitely be looked at differently by Dallas fans after the way this playoffs has went.. A bunch of questions about his capacity to be the guy where before there were none.

He's had a brutal playoffs with several games getting pulled. not what anyone expected.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
The Kraken died for this…

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Well this is anticlimactic

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It would be nice to not place the entire season on Jake Oettinger's shoulders next year. I know Wedgewood got hurt but Jake just seems like a dude who played himself out of sorts at the worst possible time.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Starsfan posted:

well fair or not Jake Oettinger will definitely be looked at differently by Dallas fans after the way this playoffs has went.. A bunch of questions about his capacity to be the guy where before there were none.

He's had a brutal playoffs with several games getting pulled. not what anyone expected.

didn't really seem like anyone was interested on playing any defense in front of him tonight but if the stars want to dish him I'm sure they'll find a dozen takers

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, Stars fans are gonna crucify Jamie for that and there's really no arguing against it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Lessail posted:

espn's audio is so hosed lol

There's just no pleasing some people.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

what did Jamie Benn do

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I only have score updates on my phone, can someone tell me how VGK apparently scored with their fourth(?) line on a PP? I mean how even the hell?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

what did Jamie Benn do

falling crosscheck to Stone's mouth

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

maybe the dallas captain can make a rousing speech during the intermission

If you’re booted from the game are you still allowed in the change rooms at intermission etc? Or are you completely excluded?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Habibi posted:

There's just no pleasing some people.

did you not hear the crowd audio randomly coming in extremely loud

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

VOTE1 posted:

If you’re booted from the game are you still allowed in the change rooms at intermission etc? Or are you completely excluded?

they put you in a soundproof plexiglass booth where everyone can see you gesturing but they can't hear you

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

they put you in a soundproof plexiglass booth where everyone can see you gesturing but they can't hear you

This should be suspended from the Jumbotron.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Woops turns out Pete DeBoer is a fraud actually.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

didn't really seem like anyone was interested on playing any defense in front of him tonight but if the stars want to dish him I'm sure they'll find a dozen takers

It just is what it is with modern day goaltenders.. you hope they are good more often than they are bad unless you have one of the elite of the elite.

Oettinger has mostly been good in his career, but in my estimation this talk of him being the future of the position in the NHL and the clearly the best goaltender in the playoffs was always misguided.

At the same time, it's a fair point (as some are raising on twitter) that this season is by far the most hockey that Oettinger has ever had to play in his career, and the stretch of time where he played basically every game for 6 or 7 weeks while Wedgewood was injured seems to correspond directly with a big drop off in his play..

It just sucks to see a guy who had a pretty infallible reputation in the fanbase coming in to the playoffs end up having a playoffs like this.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Starsfan posted:

It just sucks to see a guy who had a pretty infallible reputation in the fanbase coming in to the playoffs end up having a playoffs like this.

DallasStars.txt

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

i suppose taking the major is a different script than the last time vgk faced a deboer team in the playoffs

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Pretty cool that the Sportsnet Now app on ATV cannot make it through an entire game without freezing

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

falling crosscheck to Stone's mouth

https://twitter.com/BR_OpenIce/status/1661165823401295879?s=20

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Woops turns out Pete DeBoer is a fraud actually.

His first year as coach is a guaranteed conference finals appearance, Leafs should have hired him imo

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Such a shameful display of goonery

basically threw that game and Stone didn't even lose a tooth

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

eXXon posted:

"The guys on the bench know Benn is the guy who sticks up for them so they want to kill this penalty for him"

????

I love that line of thinking. It's actually good he did the dumbest thing possible!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Fuckin goalie solidifies his mediocrity and the captain loses his mind

What a way to flush a season of good vibes down the fuckin toilet. Just amazing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

What in the ever-living gently caress was Benn thinking here.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Lotta empty seats

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Fuckin goalie solidifies his mediocrity and the captain loses his mind

What a way to flush a season of good vibes down the fuckin toilet. Just amazing.

I'm just repeating to myself that the Stars were not widely predicted to make the playoffs this year outside of a couple of stats nerd models, and even those had them as a borderline wildcard team.. There's no reason the good vibes can't return next season and going forward, I firmly believe this team's best seasons are ahead of them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Starsfan posted:

I'm just repeating to myself that the Stars were not widely predicted to make the playoffs this year outside of a couple of stats nerd models, and even those had them as a borderline wildcard team.. There's no reason the good vibes can't return next season and going forward, I firmly believe this team's best seasons are ahead of them.

counterpoint: Pete Deboer best year is his first before he runs out his welcome real quick

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

grack posted:

What in the ever-living gently caress was Benn thinking here.

Nothing; it's pure frustration. Absolutely dumb.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

If you keep passing it around the offensive zone eventually you will be awarded a goal

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

If you keep passing it around the offensive zone eventually you will be awarded a goal

- pete deboer

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Starsfan posted:

Good luck selling anyone on that. This game's stench is going to linger for a long while.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

MoaM posted:

Nothing; it's pure frustration. Absolutely dumb.

I know that, but most NHL players don't try and behead someone when they're mildly frustrated.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

there we go fellas

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

All right I’m done

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Dagger

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

counterpoint: Pete Deboer best year is his first before he runs out his welcome real quick

I mean alot depends on how the Stars manage their team going forward, but they have some good young assets locked up for term and they have alot of bad money contracts expiring in the next couple seasons.. there is real potential to build on the elements of the team that are good.

How Peter DeBoer factors into this or screws it all up remains to be seen i guess.

**To be clear, back in the summer of 2022 I was pulling for the team to basically punt on the season, hire a rookie coach and intentionally tank until this bad money left the roster at which point they would rise like a Phoenix from the ashes of the Jamie Benn / Ryan Suter / Esa Lindell / Radek Faksa / Jani Hakanpaa contracts. I was pissed when they hired DeBoer because I viewed it as doubling down on a defective roster that would never do better than sneaking into the playoffs in the wildcard spot, and probably undeservingly at the expense of better teams. The fact they had as good a season as they did with as much dead weight on the roster as they have was a shock to everyone I think, and largely to the credit of DeBoer.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
:fork: