Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThinkTank posted:

It's an award used to solidify a guy's hall of fame case first and foremost. Kessel was robbed.

Never going to stop nuh-uhing every time someone says that. It would have been cool and good had Kessel gotten the Smythe and he played well enough to get it, but the Pens' best player was Crosby and it wasn't close.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Never going to stop nuh-uhing every time someone says that. It would have been cool and good had Kessel gotten the Smythe and he played well enough to get it, but the Pens' best player was Crosby and it wasn't close.

No list of fancy stats is going to convince me that Sid won it for any reason other than Gary wanted to get his beautiful baby boy in the headlines as some great playoff warrior like LeBron.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes, Kessel had more points. But if you'd have polled 100 current or recent NHL coaches before every game and asked them "if you're coaching the Pens' opponents who would you rather remove from their lineup for this one game, Crosby or Kessel?" then 100 out of 100 of them would have said Crosby, 24 out of 24 times.

By that test (which is a very good test) Murray is the only guy who has an argument that he was robbed.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes, Kessel had more points. But if you'd have polled 100 current or recent NHL coaches before every game and asked them "if you're coaching the Pens' opponents who would you rather remove from their lineup for this one game, Crosby or Kessel?" then 100 out of 100 of them would have said Crosby, 24 out of 24 times.

By that test (which is a very good test) Murray is the only guy who has an argument that he was robbed.

Mark Spector posted:

Conduct a poll of 200 hockey men, and it might be unanimous: Edmonton got what it needed in that deal, and giving up Hall was well worth it.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 23, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes but whereas what I said was correct, what he said was laughably wrong even at the time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sid had a great finals and particularly a great game 6 which matters a lot to voters as well. I think you could argue for Kessel as well but I don't think Crosby winning it was a steal.

You know who low key had a great playoffs that year and could have been a legit candidate as well is Letang. 15 points, 59% 5v5 xgoals. Good in the finals. He was totally dominant.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah that could have a lot to do with it. Their most skilled players are mostly not great skaters.

Robertson seems super disengaged when the Stars don't have the puck and I didn't watch enough of them this year to know if that's normal for him if he's gutting out an injury and trying to avoid contact or even skating max effort if he doesn't have to.

Robertson is clearly dealing with something. He's never been a good skater but even by that metric his feet have been replaced with concrete sandals.

I also want to talk poo poo about the ice in Vegas since it's one of the few locations I can do so. Stop being so hot outside Vegas, you losers.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

No list of fancy stats is going to convince me that Sid won it for any reason other than Gary wanted to get his beautiful baby boy in the headlines as some great playoff warrior like LeBron.

I think this is wrong: Crosby won over Kessel because sports writers are the sorts of petty idiots who absolutely did not want to be shown up by Kessel winning the Conn Smythe.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Powershift posted:

If he is even in as backup for 1 SCF game.

He was the emergency backup the game Broissoit got hurt I think? He came down and got dressed iirc does that count

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

I think this is wrong: Crosby won over Kessel because sports writers are the sorts of petty idiots who absolutely did not want to be shown up by Kessel winning the Conn Smythe.

I think there's room for ThinkTank, you, and I to all be right about this: Crosby was the best player on the Penguins as he has always been and did deserve the Smythe; but it's also true that by the normal standards (led the winning team in points by a 3 point margin) Kessel should have been expected to win it; but they gave it to Crosby instead, not out of a great desire to boost Crosby as ThinkTank suggested, but out of a desire to screw Kessel as you suggest.

So the right player got the trophy, but only by accident.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Crosby sucked poo poo against the Capitals in 2016 and the only reason they advanced was because the HBK line shredded Washington.

Not saying that alone should have gotten Kessel the Conn Smythe but it is a point in his favor.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

2016 was the most disheartened I felt as a Caps fan because even when Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie, and Carlson outplayed Crosby and Malkin they still lost in 6.

2017 oddly enough didn’t sting me as much despite Pittsburgh being weaker than the prior year. Ovechkin was playing hurt after Kadri took out his knee in Round 1 and it was his worst postseason to date so the loss felt more warranted I guess.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Shinjobi posted:

Robertson is clearly dealing with something. He's never been a good skater but even by that metric his feet have been replaced with concrete sandals.

I also want to talk poo poo about the ice in Vegas since it's one of the few locations I can do so. Stop being so hot outside Vegas, you losers.

Yeah I'll echo this.. Robertson has always been a bad skater and not really a physical presence but when he's "on" he's one of those guys who finds a way to always be around the puck despite the shortcomings in his game and he is usually really good at just fouling up the play - like either he's knocking down passes, getting his stick on the other player's and stripping the puck off of them, or just generally being an obstacle. I've said it in the game day threads a couple of times but he's a real odd duck / throwback type of player.

I don't know if I've heard anything conclusive on him being injured or not right now, but alot of people seem to have that perception. He just doesn't look as confident out there as he usually does - even when he gets the puck in a scoring chance area he's double clutching and second guessing himself, or passing it on to someone else rather than shooting.

The Stars were noted by several authorities on scouting to be notably the slowest team of the 16 to make the playoffs.. Or it was between them and the Islanders. It is a known issue for the team, something that probably doesn't get exploited the way it should in the regular season but has come back to bite them at times in each of the three playoff series they have played so far.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

2016 was the most disheartened I felt as a Caps fan because even when Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie, and Carlson outplayed Crosby and Malkin they still lost in 6.

2017 oddly enough didn’t sting me as much despite Pittsburgh being weaker than the prior year. Ovechkin was playing hurt after Kadri took out his knee in Round 1 and it was his worst postseason to date so the loss felt more warranted I guess.

2016 was the best team Ovechkin ever played on. It was just a stroke of horrible luck that the Penguins of all teams were even better. The 2017 team wasn't as good but that was the team that really should have won the Cup, the Pens had no business beating them in '17.

I'm glad CAS finally got their Cup in '18 though.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
the best team remaining is the panthers.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Shinjobi posted:

I don't remember, but was the ice lovely during the SCF too? Seems like a lot of guys are falling unexpectedly, weird puck bounces, etc... that usually come with crappy ice.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
in the most recent player poll, T-Mobile arena got enough votes from players to finish 5th in "best ice in the NHL".
i thought that was weird

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Florida has the most Staals and are therefore the worst, followed by Carolina. Dallas and Vegas are tied.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Aphrodite posted:

Florida has the most Staals and are therefore the worst, followed by Carolina. Dallas and Vegas are tied.

Florida also has Jared Staal as an assistant coach in the AHL

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Nobody was beating that 2016 Pens team imo. They were on an incredible tear after Sullivan took over.

2017 they were vulnerable with no Letang but their goaltending was great that playoffs and they were finishing like crazy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Lightning had them down 3-2 and could very easily have beaten them with a few different bounces. The Pens, Caps, and Lightning were all tremendous teams that year. The Pens-Caps and Pens-Lightning series were some of the best hockey that has ever been played.

In 2017 the Pens were insanely lucky to win the Cup without Letang.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Lightning had them down 3-2 and could very easily have beaten them with a few different bounces. The Pens, Caps, and Lightning were all tremendous teams that year. The Pens-Caps and Pens-Lightning series were some of the best hockey that has ever been played.

In 2017 the Pens were insanely lucky to win the Cup without Letang.

The Lightning were lucky to be in that series. The Pens outplayed them in like 5 out of 7 of those games. They lost game 5 because Sullivan lost his mind and decided to play Maf.

On the whole that playoffs the Lightning put up a 44% xgoals at 5v5. Pens were at 56%

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Oh yeah I'm not disputing the Pens were the better team in that series. But the Lightning almost bumped them off anyway.

Reading the Game 1 GDT from that series was great because of the chorus from the Lightning fans and Pens haters of "OH GOD WHY DID BISHOP HAVE TO GET HURT WHO IS THIS VASELINESKI GUY THE LIGHTNING ARE SCREWED". Then when the backup, whatever his name was, almost stole the series we all just assumed it was just your standard rando backup getting inexplicably hot for six games.

But seriously, if you like ice hockey go to Youtube and watch some of the 2016 Capitals-Penguins series. Those were two great, great teams playing great, great hockey.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 24, 2023

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

Believe it or not, Vegas has been in the top 4/5 for ice quality as voted by the NHLPA the last couple of years:

https://www.nhlpa.com/player-poll/2022-23

https://www.nhlpa.com/player-poll/2021-22

Must have great refrigeration systems. Also probably helps to not have to share with an NBA team. Always seems like the ice at MSG is hosed when there are NHL + NBA games really close to each other. Not sure if it's really bad this time of the year, but it surprised me when I saw that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol what a shitshow. Let’s just skip to the Cats/Vegas cup final already.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

we really spent the entire good series budget in round 1. this is dire

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
jamie benn sure does love cross checking people in vulnerable positions huh
(this is me grousing about him ending larkin's season in '21 by cross checking him in the neck)

get hosed!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Wow, I ended the 2nd round thinking this would be the first sweepless playoffs in a while. Think again.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1661201658586492928

So we're careening towards a series between the goaltender that saves a billion more goals than expected vs the team that scores a billion more goals than expected.

Something's got to give.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Hand Knit posted:

Kessel deserved the Conn Smythe just to walk around Toronto with it, visiting hot dog carts and dropping in to take a picture with Simmons and the other morons.

At least we got Phil with the Cup and a dog on the golf course.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Woof, man these playoffs have been boring

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
With all due respect, I truly think tonight's game was the only "boring" game of this round despite the results. Every other game was a one goal game with 4 out of 5 going to OT. Sure, neither series is seeing a billion goals, but the games have been intense and the crowds have been in them. I think they've been fun! Other than game 3 of VGK-Stars tonight.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I thought almost everything I watched in round 1 was pretty entertaining. And as a Kraken fans both of those series were pretty intense. This round is not very interesting but hopefully leads to clear a cut best team in the playoffs coming out of each bracket for the cup finals.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

honestly i think that if florida wins another 5 games they're probably a shoo-in for the stanley cup

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Call Your Grandma posted:

honestly i think that if florida wins another 5 games they're probably a shoo-in for the stanley cup

That's hosed up. Someone needs to do something about this.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/DallasStars/status/1661371493257715724?t=2MDSnMUgJb3Se_1hwiG6Ng&s=19

Also, Jamie Benn has a meeting today with DoPS

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol, what did the fans do, I missed that part. Did they go Full Philadelphia on them?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Note: this was near the end of the second period, not even the end of the game. They just called an end to the second period 21 seconds early and went to the locker rooms. It would have been funny if the Stars came back after everybody threw trash on the ice and left.

https://i.imgur.com/rLutQno.mp4

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Not quite full Philly. Mostly popcorn and other random garbage not batteries or snowballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
lol at the Truly

e: It was after Domi took a dumb penalty