Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

KingSlime posted:

and nothing bad has happened to any laptop cellphone gaming device mp3 player vape etc I've ever owned

PSP batteries have a bad habit of balooning up if you leave it empty for too long. Happened to me twice. And they don't make the good ones anymore so that's that. You do kinda have to keep care of these things if you're thinking in terms of like10-15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
That's fair, I don't usually hold onto devices for that long. I've heard 3ds batteries swell up pretty bad too over time

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
my release era phat ds still runs for 4 hours on a charge

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WarpDogs posted:

I had a coworker that was utterly convinced the Wii U was a special controller for the Wii. He was a very casual gamer who got into gaming thanks to Wii Sports, but no matter how many times I clarified he didn't grasp it was a whole other thing

This was actually one of the major problems with trying to market the WiiU apparently; A lot of people thought it was just a fancy Wii controller.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Multiple news outlets came out of the press conference and wrote stories that it was a Wii add-on.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
I picked up Mario Kart 8 at a Gamestop for the Wii U & the employee had to stress that the game wasn't for the Wii. Apparently so many people were buying the game & not realizing it was for a different console. The Wii U had been out for over year & a half at this point.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The Wii U stumbled so that the Switch could soar

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

My WiiU battery was puffing up and falling to charge right so I replaced it with one that has like 6x the capacity, since the thing still sees regular use and can play all the Wii games as a bonus.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

KingSlime posted:

That's fair, I don't usually hold onto devices for that long. I've heard 3ds batteries swell up pretty bad too over time

I still have my first cell phone somewhere, must be close to 20 years old at this point. Always wonder if I'll wake up to a weird chemical fire some day

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I sold my wii u last year and as prep I reset it to factory default and I miss the miiverse and the overall vibe of the wii u UI and the little songs they would play. The lack of eshop tune is a crime.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'll forever keep mine cause NES Remix (and the sequel) is never coming out again.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
SNES Remix when?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
holy gently caress I hit over 95 hours on TotK in ten days. Dunno how I accomplished that but I believe it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I've done 75 hours apparently, oof

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I sold my wii u last year and as prep I reset it to factory default and I miss the miiverse and the overall vibe of the wii u UI and the little songs they would play. The lack of eshop tune is a crime.

:same: The Mii's were a great concept in general. I remember unpacking the Wii at my cousins place and watching all the kids and their grandma/grandpa make Mii's that look like each other and it was the closest thing to this group experiencing family bonding I'd ever seen lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Bring back Miiverse

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lol I'm like two, three hours in at most. I just now beat the first Flux Construct guy which was a cool beginner boss.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Mio verse was too beautiful to continue to exist

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Never going to have anything quite like miiverse, 3ds Street pass, and the horde of miis on the Wii u ui. It was a really charming set of social integrations. I get why they got stripped out and turned off, but it sucks.

Wii u had a rough time but it had affordable space adventures, so it was the best.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mega64 posted:

holy gently caress I hit over 95 hours on TotK in ten days. Dunno how I accomplished that but I believe it.

I have a few friends that have finished the game at 110+ hours. Its a really long game. And one of them was just like 40% of the game world / activities completed.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Maybe the craziest thing about how long totk is, is that they massively upgraded your speed of traversal on average and it’s still bigger than botw

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’ve easily clocked 100+ with only two of the temples completed. Game is chock full of poo poo

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Ah gently caress I stripped one of the screws on a joycon installing gullikit sticks. Did the right con fine but the left is being stubborn :bahgawd: and of course that's the stick that's failing

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Marx Headroom posted:

PSP batteries have a bad habit of balooning up if you leave it empty for too long. Happened to me twice. And they don't make the good ones anymore so that's that. You do kinda have to keep care of these things if you're thinking in terms of like10-15 years.

Not really "it." You can buy a certain RC car battery to swap if you can do super simple soldering. You have to pop the original PSP battery open and remove the old cell. But it's not really hard and it works perfectly.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey, been any new Kirby's lately?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Mega64 posted:

Bring back Miiverse

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
mii mii mii all day long-- you piiple are so selfish

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

B33rChiller posted:

Hey, been any new Kirby's lately?

Helped the kid beat forgotten land today. It was great. Mouthful mode is wonderful

The penultimate boss fight was real annoying though, tons of unhittable parts

I wish we had any clue what's with meta knight and dedede and the waddle dees. All we know is Kirby is trying to have a lovely day and a horrible thing happens he has to stop before going back to a nap

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Dedede is my favorite Nintendo character and if he is dead I WILL scream.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ogmius815 posted:

fentanyl overdose in San Jose last month. i'm sorry

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Ogmius815 posted:

I can't figure out what he's up to besides getting waddle dees to feed him. Which, frankly, seems like a good way to be king

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So on a bit of a whim I bought a hopefully not too heavily used Switch Lite off eBay cause well it was only about 100 bucks before shipping(and PayPal has this "Pay In 4" payment plan thing so I'm spreading that out in 4 payments over the next month or so) and I've been wanting to get into Switch for years but have never been able to find an actually good deal for one(well I almost did for a regular Switch yesterday but I kept getting outbid because the way eBay handles auctions is loving terrible) and while I would rather have a regular model over the Lite, well this was cheap enough for me to overlook it's flaws(and well if it turns out to have been beat to poo poo I can always flip it on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace for what I paid for it or maybe even more)

Anyways what would you guys recommend for some initial games I should grab for it, might grab one or two big full price games for it but for now I'm leaning towards games I can get for cheap(whether used physical carts or on sale on the eshop), bonus points for games that are exclusive to the Switch since I imagine a lot of the typical indie game suggestions for it I probably already own on PS4 and/or Steam

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Breath of the Wild/ Tears of the Kingdom
Mario Kart
Mario Odyssey
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Metroid Dread

You can't go wrong with any of these

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I'm not really sure if non-Nintendo Switch exclusive games are much of a thing? Struggling to think of any notable examples. And Nintendo's exclusives are almost never on sale.

I'd probably echo the advice given to Popoto yesterday. Get Mario Kart +1. Tears of the Kingdom plus Mario Kart is probably the best this system has to offer in single and multi player and you might not need to buy another game for months (but you'll definitely want to). Mario Odyssey is a great substitute for Tears of the Kingdom if you think you'd enjoy that more.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's some Switch & PC only games and SE seem to have a deal with Nintendo to distribute some of their lower budget games outside of Japan which keeps them exclusive 'for a while'.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

drrockso20 posted:

Anyways what would you guys recommend for some initial games I should grab for it, might grab one or two big full price games for it but for now I'm leaning towards games I can get for cheap(whether used physical carts or on sale on the eshop), bonus points for games that are exclusive to the Switch since I imagine a lot of the typical indie game suggestions for it I probably already own on PS4 and/or Steam

Your exclusives are almost entirely going to be Nintendo developed/published games. Those will also rarely go on sale, so be prepared!

That said, this guy's list:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Breath of the Wild/ Tears of the Kingdom
Mario Kart
Mario Odyssey
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Metroid Dread

You can't go wrong with any of these

Is pretty much what I would have suggested. Those are must-haves for the system. More suggestions could be made depending on individual taste.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Waltzing Along posted:

Not really "it." You can buy a certain RC car battery to swap if you can do super simple soldering. You have to pop the original PSP battery open and remove the old cell. But it's not really hard and it works perfectly.

Do you have a doc or something with instructions? I'm interested (third party batteries suck rear end) but very hesitant to get anywhere near a Lion cell with a soldering iron.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Was having an impression for TotK I couldn’t quite pinpoint, but finally it dawned on me what it was: studio Ghibli vibes.

Also, the weapon system finally clicked and I’m no longer afraid. Once you fuse a few things and figure out how to quick select it’s ez pz

Game good. Switch good.

e: also reading the TotK thread and loling at the early reactions and predictions

Popoto fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 24, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Popoto posted:

Was having an impression for TotK I couldn’t quite pinpoint, but finally it dawned on me what it was: studio Ghibli vibes.

Also, the weapon system finally clicked and I’m no longer afraid. Once you fuse a few things and figure out how to quick select it’s ez pz

Game good. Switch good.

e: also reading the TotK thread and loling at the early reactions and predictions

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

drrockso20 posted:

A similar conversation happened a few pages back and the general consensus for "most optimal two games" was TOTK and Mario Kart, which I back 100%. You can't go wrong.