Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
that is what marge sounds like now? jesus christ ship her off to the old actor's home and replace her with AI from the first 25 seasons, stat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I’m surprised they haven’t at least used the voice actor + AI combination to try to make the actors sound like they used to, like they did with young Luke in The Mandalorian. They’ve got that Disney access now.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
If that was the only shortcoming with the show it would be worth doing. But it’s not possible to salvage it, so it wouldn’t be enough to bring people back (does anyone say they would watch the Simpsons if it weren’t for how the VAs sound now?).

The current audience is not discerning enough, and the lapsed audience can’t be won back, so it makes no sense to invest in anything that might make the show better.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i saw the mario movie over the weekend, and every time they played a piece of an 80s licensed song, i couldn't help but think back to that Poke of Zorro scene where they have some rap song playing in the credits

mind you, i actually LIKE We Need a Hero and Take on Me but they were both inappropriate for their scenes and completely unnecessary as the movie already had great music to pull from :argh:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 23, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Interweb posted:

i saw the mario movie over the weekend, and every time they played a piece of an 80s licensed song, i couldn't help but think back to that Poke of Zorro scene where they have some rap song playing in the credits

mind you, i actually LIKE We Need a Hero and Take on Me but they were both inappropriate for their scenes and completely unnecessary as the movie already had great music to pull from :argh:

Apparently those were literal placeholders that some cokeheads at Illumination demanded they keep in. They almost had Van Halen's 'Jump' over the final battle.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just stumbled upon a youtube channel where someone was recreating a classic Simpsions look in 3d with blender.

Two intresting things noticed. At this point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BxL_XrcJrU&t=420s

He's created a 3d asset of a vending machine from a screen shot, and he's adding in the pen outline to all the edges. So to get the more classic look he adds in noise and variation of width to lines. If you look from when he first adds in the lines and modifies it to be a good width, it looks exactly like the line outlines in modern Simpsons, as soon as he adds in the noise and line width variation you get the classic Simpsons look which just fits so much better.

Like not to say that sometimes that very clean uniformed line work can't be good for animation, for some stuff it's absolutely the right choice and can work really well, but for the Simpsons -well maybe not modern Simpsons as much- it just seems such a bad fit. It takes a ways so much of the personality, and seems very sterile, particularly with the colours and character design. Feel like if they weren't locked into the pallet and character designs they definitely aren't choices they would of made today doing it again from scratch.

Later on they re-do a scene and it found it quite interesting as they go into discussing how the classic Simpsons used lighting while they're recreating it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BxL_XrcJrU&t=768s

Other than the character's looking a bit janky when he animates them (which wasn't really the point of what he was trying to do so whatever), and the shadows sometimes moving a bit weird, thought he actually did a really great job of replicating the feel of the classic Simpsons. Particuly just adding a drop shadow to the main elements, which was a thing that naturally occurs with cell animation but actually works really well to accent parts of the scene.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Halisnacks posted:

If that was the only shortcoming with the show it would be worth doing. But it’s not possible to salvage it, so it wouldn’t be enough to bring people back (does anyone say they would watch the Simpsons if it weren’t for how the VAs sound now?).

The current audience is not discerning enough, and the lapsed audience can’t be won back, so it makes no sense to invest in anything that might make the show better.

I definitely wouldn't be watching every new episode as they premier or anything, but whenever I do try and watch a new episode Marge's voice is what gets me to turn it off. I straight up can't stand listening to it. It's not even that it sounds different that's the problem, it just sounds horrible.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

dr_rat posted:

Just stumbled upon a youtube channel where someone was recreating a classic Simpsions look in 3d with blender.

Two intresting things noticed. At this point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BxL_XrcJrU&t=420s

He's created a 3d asset of a vending machine from a screen shot, and he's adding in the pen outline to all the edges. So to get the more classic look he adds in noise and variation of width to lines. If you look from when he first adds in the lines and modifies it to be a good width, it looks exactly like the line outlines in modern Simpsons, as soon as he adds in the noise and line width variation you get the classic Simpsons look which just fits so much better.

Like not to say that sometimes that very clean uniformed line work can't be good for animation, for some stuff it's absolutely the right choice and can work really well, but for the Simpsons -well maybe not modern Simpsons as much- it just seems such a bad fit. It takes a ways so much of the personality, and seems very sterile, particularly with the colours and character design. Feel like if they weren't locked into the pallet and character designs they definitely aren't choices they would of made today doing it again from scratch.

Later on they re-do a scene and it found it quite interesting as they go into discussing how the classic Simpsons used lighting while they're recreating it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BxL_XrcJrU&t=768s

Other than the character's looking a bit janky when he animates them (which wasn't really the point of what he was trying to do so whatever), and the shadows sometimes moving a bit weird, thought he actually did a really great job of replicating the feel of the classic Simpsons. Particuly just adding a drop shadow to the main elements, which was a thing that naturally occurs with cell animation but actually works really well to accent parts of the scene.

Or they could do it the way they did it before. And also hire decent writers.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Humanity has lost the technology of “drawing”, we can only recreate it through elaborate simulations

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

I watched it last night and had the exact same reaction. Utterly baffling. Take on Me during a Kart ride in Kong land? It just made zero sense and took me right out of the movie.

Completely soulless, by the way. Just like modern Simpsons.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

Simpsons is... the opposite of that.

:hai:

Mr Interweb posted:

I haven’t seen the Mario Movie yet, but Illumination’s track record with me personally has been, “:geno: Welp, that sure was a movie, wasn’t it? :geno:” I’ll get around to watching it eventually, but general consensus I’ve read online has been you’ll either love it or hate it, it is serviceable for what it is, and the licensed music sucks poo poo.

“Serviceable” is something I would hope for the best from an Illumination movie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You Are A Elf posted:

I haven’t seen the Mario Movie yet, but Illumination’s track record with me personally has been, “:geno: Welp, that sure was a movie, wasn’t it? :geno:” I’ll get around to watching it eventually, but general consensus I’ve read online has been you’ll either love it or hate it, it is serviceable for what it is, and the licensed music sucks poo poo.

“Serviceable” is something I would hope for the best from an Illumination movie.

I dunno how anyone could love it or hate it.

It is precisely what you'd think a Mario movie would be. If someone gave a random person off the street a week to write a Mario movie it is what they would write.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno how anyone could love it or hate it.

It is precisely what you'd think a Mario movie would be. If someone gave a random person off the street a week to write a Mario movie it is what they would write.

I disagree. A Mario movie done right could be magical. This was... beige. Just... there. There weren't really any good jokes in it. In contrast, the first Sonic movie was very well done and will be remembered much more fondly.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I feel about the Mario movie like I do about Insidious or the final GOT season- It has a quality so uniquely bizarre that you have to witness it. I've never seen a film with no connective tissue. All dialogue is a reference or a punchline, but it never sets up jokes. It's like Enter the Void in that you're only aware of what the overarching narrative is supposed to represent through a feverish collection of moments you dimly recognize. Or because somebody told you

I can't stop thinking about it. It's not a good movie, but it's so fascinating in its... they're not even failures, they meant to do everything they did and SUCCEEDED. Oh my god, how is it considered a movie? What is a movie?!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

I feel about the Mario movie like I do about Insidious or the final GOT season- It has a quality so uniquely bizarre that you have to witness it. I've never seen a film with no connective tissue. All dialogue is a reference or a punchline, but it never sets up jokes. It's like Enter the Void in that you're only aware of what the overarching narrative is supposed to represent through a feverish collection of moments you dimly recognize. Or because somebody told you

I can't stop thinking about it. It's not a good movie, but it's so fascinating in its... they're not even failures, they meant to do everything they did and SUCCEEDED. Oh my god, how is it considered a movie? What is a movie?!

:lol:

Welp, you totally sold me on it. I’mma have to see this movie now.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Humanity has lost the technology of “drawing”, we can only recreate it through elaborate simulations

I think you'll find humanity wise painting came first!

But yeah think that was more just a can you do it kind of thing. When you get a way from the big studios and the bland tv stuff there is still a hell of a lot of legitimately great animation out there. Honestly perhaps more than ever. You just need to look for it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is this the first time we’ve seen Apu even in the background since Azaria stopped voicing him?

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1661086466628370432?s=20

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

You Are A Elf posted:

Please let me know how it goes. Everyone else is saying it's blah, but I had a late-stage capitalism meta horror experience.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

hatty posted:

Is this the first time we’ve seen Apu even in the background since Azaria stopped voicing him?

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1661086466628370432?s=20

Did they can the character entirely or did they just an Indian guy to do the voice?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
He has never shown up again in a speaking role

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Huh, I guess this what old people must feel when they look back fondly at something from their youth that was kind of racist.

Oh god I'm an old person.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Like they changed Hibbert and Carl to have actual black voice actors but I guess Apu is too much of a stereotype to be redeemed

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Love how everyone is just standing there all static and dead-eyed.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/iRezi/status/1661152754235211777

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The character Frank "Grimey" Grimes has been dead for many years. His son later tries to assassinate Homer as revenge. And episode 600 establishes his ghost as a character. Yet in the opening of episode 750, they have him make a cameo at the plant. Implying that he is not only alive and well, but also got his job back. How did Burns' HR department let this slip through the background check? I hope someone got fired for this blunder.
:goonsay:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You see him in hell later on in the episode.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

How would you recast Apu? Would you hire an Indian actor to talk in an Americn accent, or hire an Indian actor to do the stereotypical accent, or find an Indian actor who naturally sounds like Apu?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Huge

Vibes

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Alan_Shore posted:

How would you recast Apu? Would you hire an Indian actor to talk in an Americn accent, or hire an Indian actor to do the stereotypical accent, or find an Indian actor who naturally sounds like Apu?

The podcast Code Switch has an excellent interview with Hank Azaria & Hari Kondabolu about Apu, Azaria thankfully had self awareness and explains why he stopped voicing him.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hrist posted:

The character Frank "Grimey" Grimes has been dead for many years. His son later tries to assassinate Homer as revenge. And episode 600 establishes his ghost as a character. Yet in the opening of episode 750, they have him make a cameo at the plant. Implying that he is not only alive and well, but also got his job back. How did Burns' HR department let this slip through the background check? I hope someone got fired for this blunder.
:goonsay:

Ghosts can still be fired for not coming to work

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Alan_Shore posted:

the retirement of apu has saved us from the simpsons attempting to do an RRR homage treehouse of horror segment in ca 2023-2025, so let's let him rest in peace

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Tree Goat posted:

the retirement of apu has saved us from the simpsons attempting to do an RRR homage treehouse of horror segment in ca 2023-2025, so let's let him rest in peace

Oh dear god, that idea just sent shivers down my spine.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hrist posted:

The character Frank "Grimey" Grimes has been dead for many years.

Obviously he's evil twin.

For anyone who's never had an evil twin before their awesome. You can just blame all the bad stuff you do on them!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think 4 of the characters are Homer.

I've always felt like it's part of a show's weakness when it hits a point where it just stops expanding its world, and The Simpsons has gone for a long while where it hasn't been adding regular characters and there's just so many one-offs that disappear forevermore after their one thing. That's why they've had to mine out new depths to formerly one-dimensional gag characters and get creative about pairing supporting characters off in new combinations.

And it's just going to get worse as the amount of available established characters decreases.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
so i'm guessing every new episode needs 2-3 side plots so none of the cast has to do too much voice acting?

also i remember giving up on the simpsons was the area code episode when they went really hard on the "you THOUGHT this was going to be the plot BUT" thing they did for a long time.
more specifically when homer got his insides torn by a badger as a one off joke and then he was fine. like, i get it, cartoons don't have to be realistic, but they should be grounded in some form of reality if you want me to care about any of this.

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 24, 2023

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I remember noticing that back in the episode with Jack Black running a comic store. Instead of a three-act story, it was really three stories segueing into each other.

I will admit that Alan Moore's "You liked how I made your favorite superhero a heroin-addicted jazz critic who's not radioactive?" and Dan Clowes' Batman fanart do occupy free space in my head.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently those were literal placeholders that some cokeheads at Illumination demanded they keep in. They almost had Van Halen's 'Jump' over the final battle.

:barf:

You Are A Elf posted:

i feel the movie is aggressively mid. aside from the aforementioned placing of Take on Me during the kong jungle ride, there's nothing in the movie that is particularly out of place. The biggest problem is the pacing. Everything feels way too rushed, and characters are rarely given much time to breath. sure, the movie is only 90 minutes roughly, but they could have cut out a lot of stuff in the beginning (like the all the poo poo dealing with the angry dog) to make room for actual useful stuff

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

i got a snicker out of Ozzie Smith still being in the mystery spot

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

hatty posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If you want to split hairs (and we are goons disusing a cartoon here) that's a photo of Apu, not Apu.