Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

That last one:

quote:

3 April 2023
India
Decapitated
As he attempted to take a selfie on a helipad, Jitendra Kumar Saini, the financial controller of the Uttarakhand State Civil Aviation development authority was killed by a helicopter rotor blade.

I'm going back to ducking when I get near helicopters. I don't care if the cool kids laugh at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Whatever your policy on ducking, everyone needs to stay the gently caress away from the tail rotor.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Poseidon#CxCoin_and_scamming

Wow, this guy is a cryptocurrency rugpuller as well. What an absolute winner of a human being.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol, also shares our esteemed founder’s success in the boxing ring

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why is everything on this loser’s wiki page acting like he is a big deal, homeboy only has 700k subs

“Oh he’s groundbreaking and he was super popular in 2017”, spare me, it’s 2023, and shockingly he has an audience of chuds and children, and not even a huge one at that

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

He got his face pushed in by Uwe Boll? What's his opinions on Mangosteen? He might be Lowtax's brother from another mother.

Related to Cool Mountain poo poo, didn't see the full film posted earlier:

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/films/k2-the-impossible-descent

Here's the full hour long documentary on the dude who went skiing down K2.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

It still amazes me that the video opens with a drone shot of the summit of K2 like it ain't no thing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

It still amazes me that the video opens with a drone shot of the summit of K2 like it ain't no thing.

The kind of people who would ski down K2 are absolutely without fear, watching that dude start to slide down the mountain past the other climbers, greeting them and wishing them good luck and receiving the same, I know the thought was in his head that he was probably going to die within the next hour or 2. The absolutely huge balls it takes to look at doing something that nobody thought would be possible, evaluate it, and go "yes I'm going to do this", and then having the skill to be able to make it down the mountain is insane.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

rotinaj posted:

Why is everything on this loser’s wiki page acting like he is a big deal, homeboy only has 700k subs

“Oh he’s groundbreaking and he was super popular in 2017”, spare me, it’s 2023, and shockingly he has an audience of chuds and children, and not even a huge one at that

nevermind

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

orange juche posted:

The kind of people who would ski down K2 are absolutely without fear, watching that dude start to slide down the mountain past the other climbers, greeting them and wishing them good luck and receiving the same, I know the thought was in his head that he was probably going to die within the next hour or 2. The absolutely huge balls it takes to look at doing something that nobody thought would be possible, evaluate it, and go "yes I'm going to do this", and then having the skill to be able to make it down the mountain is insane.

If you watch Meru (and you should it's both awesome and thread-relevant) I like how Jon Krakauer casually drops in that Jimmy Chin skied Everest. Jimmy is a super cool guy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qdWzTqyMtSU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Whatever your policy on ducking, everyone needs to stay the gently caress away from the tail rotor.

I'm pro ducking

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I am for equity.

Tall people get to duck, but short people have to wear platform shoes.

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug
attention goons: it’s 8:30am in nepal and our hero has awoken

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
but did buddy ski down K2 on K2 skis

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

this is minecraft

i hope he loses his JO crystals in minecraft

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

lmao 122bpm resting heart rate king, dude is going to stroke the gently caress out before getting to base camp, though from what I am seeing he seems to have mellowed out slightly from what he was a couple days ago. Still the dumbest motherfucker on the trail, and the sherpas would be justified in knocking him out and stealing his poo poo, but puking your guts out at 2am from overexertion and altitude sickness causes a re-evaluation of how serious the poo poo you're attempting is.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 24, 2023

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
someone is posting screenshots of their TV

loving gas

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lmao he started eating breakfast and immediately folded up into the "i'm about to hurl" pose. Dude needs at least another day of acclimatization at the current altitude before continuing on, but he wants to hike 6 hours today. Man's going to absolutely wind up needing medical evac before he gets to base camp.

E: Deepak is telling him that he needs to eat and rest, and not continue yet, but dummy wants to continue.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 24, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The view from where they're eating breakfast is incredible

e]PS yesterday Ice said he hadn't poo poo for 5 days, lmao

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ya ngl I wanna go to basecamp

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Speedrun: get HACE/HAPE before basecamp

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Wasn't there an all out brawl some years ago between some Sherpas and tourist climbers who didn't pay(or want to pay) the toll/tax to use the ropes and ladder and stuff the Sherpas layout before climbing season starts?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
getting medivacced from mt everest any% speedrun

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

Alan Smithee posted:

same, my husband and i have been making a plan as we watch this to get back in shape, do some through-hikes in the US, and do the hike to basecamp before we hit 40.

McSpanky posted:

Speedrun: get HACE/HAPE before basecamp

SGDQ came early this year

Quixotic1 posted:

Wasn't there an all out brawl some years ago between some Sherpas and tourist climbers who didn't pay(or want to pay) the toll/tax to use the ropes and ladder and stuff the Sherpas layout before climbing season starts?

I remember that, it was one of the last years I was super active in these threads.
fake edit - holy poo poo that was 10 years ago

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/130502-mount-everest-fight-simone-moro-interview-sherpas

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

:same:

Though gently caress livestreaming it.

I did a group tour to Bhutan 10 years ago and the last day was the hike to the Tiger's Nest (which is surprisingly close to the airport). I can't imagine obsessing over the stream's chat while doing that.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

orange juche posted:

That descent looked insanely scary

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Quixotic1 posted:

When the gently caress are we gonna get some contenders for first mma fight at the peak, someone get that jake paul guy and a payperview crew

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

same, my husband and i have been making a plan as we watch this to get back in shape, do some through-hikes in the US, and do the hike to basecamp before we hit 40.

SGDQ came early this year

I remember that, it was one of the last years I was super active in these threads.
fake edit - holy poo poo that was 10 years ago

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/130502-mount-everest-fight-simone-moro-interview-sherpas

remember when these were all the rage?

they were the bluegrass of portrait photography

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug
lmao he’s blasting skyrim music from a speaker on the trail

e: honestly it’s kind of a vibe

HAM ON THE BONE fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 24, 2023

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Platystemon posted:

I hope that Ice Poseidon suffers a fate appropriate for someone who groomed a thirteen-year-old.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I didnt hear about the grooming

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I feel like I'd really enjoy this stream if it was done by someone who is not a huge asshat.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

It'd be a real shame if he fell off the path and rolled down the mountain. Not funny at all. I am not wishing it will happen. Nope.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Elukka posted:

I feel like I'd really enjoy this stream if it was done by someone who is not a huge asshat.

Yeah. It's fascinating to see what the place actually looks and sounds like in a long-form presentation. I just wish it was through the eyes of somebody who cared.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna be the first to BASE-jump to base camp.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
I've done the Everest base camp hike, and confirm that it's absolutely incredible - and insanely cheap. If you like the look of it, do it!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

dr_rat posted:

So looks like there is wi-fi at base camp and 3g cell network in areas going up to it:

https://www.holymountaintreks.com/blog/mobile-phone-reception-on-everest-base-camp/

The cell network is poo poo, but a lot of teahouses sell one of two networks called "everestlink" which is data capped and some other thing I can't remember that's 24hour. It works all the way up through Gorak Shep, but in base camp itself there's a few localized hotspots that run starlink or something, I think they may be managed by the individual trek companies, not sure if that one's wide area like the other two.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

He's at Namche, 11,290ft. So he's struggling with over a vertical mile left to climb.

The climb up to namche is loving brutal, especially since it's day 2 at altitude and the lower you call home the worse off you are. The vertical climb that day is equal to taking the stairs at the eiffel tower 5 times.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

The stream is back up and they’re bout to hit the trail after breakfast!

For a second there I legit thought this was two pictures and dude dragged a playstation up there

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

We had a youtuber die climbing a mountain in Italy a few years ago, apparently because he literally stepped backwards off a cliff face while trying to record himself, of course with no fall-arresting equipment of any kind.

Death by getting pushed off the trail down a cliff by a yak is still on the menu, ladies and gentlemen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I always seem to catch these guys when they're resting, I thought I saw some actual hiking there for a second and 5 minutes later they're at a rest-stop restaurant, while watching joels stream it looked like poseidon was really shuffling forward having a hard time keeping balance.

He's really the worst off in the group, joel seems unbothered by everything even dancing at the rest-stop and deepak seems fine too but poseidon is just laying down at the rest-stop.

Edit: Now he's saying he's very dizzy while laying down, I think he's feeling the effects of the climb for real, he really shouldn't push himself further and take a long rest, this isn't good

Edit 2: Seems like he's regretting pushing himself too hard, he's feeling ill, drat, this is pretty sad, he needs to go down after eating and drinking a lot, continuing up is dumb and I hope he makes the right call.

Edit 3: Timestamps for anyone that comes in later, it's currently 1:32 nepali time

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 24, 2023