Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

They absolutely will not resolve it in that way. The most you might get is a text from Nate to Jade saying something. Similar to how the thing with Jack got handled.

*This is also being extremely generous, you probably will never hear anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CameronisGod
Dec 19, 2022

by Pragmatica
Everyone on GBS agrees that this show is bad and doesn't deserve even a nomination for an Emmy, much less a win.

Jason Sudeikis has 2 Emmies for this unfunny unaccurate boring milquetoast dreck and Rhea Seehorn doesn't even have 1.

Trash.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I respect your opinion, but you still shouldn't sign your posts

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It was a very good vibes football comedy/drama kind of show until it went so far up its own butt it was nestled next to a cellphone

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

At this point I’m mostly just hate/pity watching. I’ll complain all day about the show but I’ll be here Wednesday posting just the same.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The cost part of this sunk cost fallacy of a show is the increased amount of time spent watching it - good lord these runtimes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

With one episode left, they had to Poochie up the place.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I just downloaded this episode and ughhhh it's an hour and nine minutes...

Is it any good? I might just play with the dog and then go to bed instead

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
The pieces are all in place now, it’s just up to them to see where they end up.

I think this episode could have stripped a few of the scenes a bit - like we’ve felt a lot this season (the scenes in the restaurant felt a bit long along with the long walk) and I think the title felt like a red herring but it got there at the end for me at least.

Also I know that the doctor and Trent supposedly had expanded roles this season but I feel like we really haven’t seen much of her at all? Wonder if she was working on another project or if I’ve somehow just overlooked something.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Pleasantly surprised by this one? As a dad, there were some feels, especially with Mae’s quote (not sure where that’s from) and Ted and his mom talking near the end.

The cliffhanger has me piqued. Good or bad, I’ll watch next week and then cancel TV+ for awhile.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Scott Forstall posted:

Pleasantly surprised by this one? As a dad, there were some feels, especially with Mae’s quote (not sure where that’s from) and Ted and his mom talking near the end.

The cliffhanger has me piqued. Good or bad, I’ll watch next week and then cancel TV+ for awhile.

He’s quitting

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Is there a name for whatever Jamie Tartt is? Like a chav or whatever?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
“English” I think.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think it’s kinda an indictment of America that it’s not enough for Richmond to not just escape relegation; they have to go on and win the league. It’s such a narrow notion of success and it’s sad for a show that had once been about how to cope with failure.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

withak posted:

“English” I think.

you know, with his hair and his accent, like aren't there a bunch of social/regional groups in britain? I've heard of quite a few:

Chavs
Cockney
Pikies
The Gentry
Tories
Precariat
Mulligatawny
Irish

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I was fine with this episode except for everything involving Nate, it feels so clearly like something that shouldnt be there. I assume they play West Ham next week? I wonder if the reconciliation for Nate was supposed to be during/after that game across the coaches border or whatever, with Nate being fired for not going for the jugular or something. Once Sudeikis held firm on not doing this anymore, they rewrote it so he could get a feel good send off with a winning team. They then had to immediately positioning Nate to take over now instead of a presumptive later season, which leaves the door open for a show called Richmond FC: Ted Less, so

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Scott Forstall posted:

Pleasantly surprised by this one?

Yeah, once again they made an episode about how a soccer match reflects and affects what the characters are going through and once again it's pretty decent. What a shock!

Edit: But again the tone of the ep felt like "early season" for reasons I can't quite put my finger on

CPColin fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 24, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I may have a morbid sense of humor, because I was literally laughing loudly when it came to Jamie's little depression montage. Imagine how these people must have felt, when he opted to take their photo from another angle instead.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Is there a name for whatever Jamie Tartt is? Like a chav or whatever?
Hes a very sensitive Mancunian footballer maybe? Hes definitely not a chav, thats an outdated word for a stereotype that doesn't exist anymore that only Americans mention now.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Tweak posted:

Richmond FC: Ted Less, so

this should have been the name of this season

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Feels very much like last season of GOT where they know where they want everyone to end up and they are just speeding towards the finish line with wreckless abandon resulting in things that seem rushed, unearned and out of left field.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tweak posted:

I was fine with this episode except for everything involving Nate, it feels so clearly like something that shouldnt be there. I assume they play West Ham next week? I wonder if the reconciliation for Nate was supposed to be during/after that game across the coaches border or whatever, with Nate being fired for not going for the jugular or something. Once Sudeikis held firm on not doing this anymore, they rewrote it so he could get a feel good send off with a winning team. They then had to immediately positioning Nate to take over now instead of a presumptive later season, which leaves the door open for a show called Richmond FC: Ted Less, so

That seems like it could be it.

Also I love how non-confrontational Ted is, with the reveal that he saved Beard from going back to prison after being imprisoned for drug related crimes, then takes him overseas for a high paid job and just nods and shrugs at him having all night drug benders with his destructive gf.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Overall good episode.

But not feeling the Keely story anymore. Also the sitcom levels of writing. Teds Mom embarrassing him. Everyone groaning like Roy.

Also looks like Jamie’s dad getting help is good in a sense. But would have hit better if he knew about it. On screen. Show don’t tell, right?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

For a second there I thought he was dead

CameronisGod
Dec 19, 2022

by Pragmatica

Sash! posted:

For a second there I thought he was dead

it's a shame everyone in this show isn't dead then it would be over because it is bad

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So the only real question is if they win next week right?

Ted is likely gone and going home
Nate is likely gonna take up manager duties
Roy\Jaime\Keeley are all doing their own thing and in a good place
The team is the best version of themselves and don't need Ted anymore
Rupert gets embarrassed by his girlfriend and former assistant with the help of Rebecca

This all could have happened with half the time with a much tighter story but whatever I'm glad we're here and I hope they let this show die with a semi satisfying ending even if it wasn't completely deserved

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Senor Tron posted:

Also I love how non-confrontational Ted is, with the reveal that he saved Beard from going back to prison after being imprisoned for drug related crimes, then takes him overseas for a high paid job and just nods and shrugs at him having all night drug benders with his destructive gf.

Yeah this is kind of messed up in retrospect. Beard being a competent professional with a wild side is fun. Him being an addict who's gone to prison for stealing poo poo to fuel his addictions... and is presumably only not in prison because now he makes enough money to afford and juggle his habits puts all the previous stuff in a much darker light. It's less non-confrontational and more enabler at that point.

Not quite hate watching the show yet, but boy this feels like a waste of everyone's time. If Zava or Jack doesn't show up in the finale, I have no clue why they took up so much time in the first half. Nate's story keeps doing these jump cuts that keep making me feel like I missed an episode. Oh he quit? Did I miss that? Oh now he works at the bar? Ok? Nothing about his transition from cuddling up to evil to getting the dream girl and finding redemption feel earned.

The one good choice they made was having Trent just be hovering around the locker room.

It's just weird. Nothing feels coherent or natural.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Speaking of darker light, the restaurant owner going from an enthused fan for Nate to snorting coke in his office and doing untold poo poo under the table. That guy seemed like a well-meaning rear end, but that little scene reframes everything in the worst way.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

New episode makes up for the previous week.

I enjoy when they have talks about parents and stuff like that. My son was born back in October so a lot of it hits close to home. Like the feel good stuff.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Lister posted:

Speaking of darker light, the restaurant owner going from an enthused fan for Nate to snorting coke in his office and doing untold poo poo under the table. That guy seemed like a well-meaning rear end, but that little scene reframes everything in the worst way.

I grew up in the restaurant business so it was more than obvious to me that dude was a coke head, I was just surprised that Apple had the guts to basically show it honestly.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I'm sorry, I know this is a fantasy TV show, but there's just no way Nate quits as a Premier League football manager who's challenging for the tile, to work in a restaurant. It's so utterly unbelievable. Just incredibly stupid and I wonder what the original Nate storyline was before the rewrite because this is awful.

The rest of the episode was... fine. Ted's mother arriving screamed "Ted hasn't done anything and probably doesn't have anything to do until the finale." It's all a bit fairytale but whatever, you expect that with this show.

One of the more annoying things I've noticed this season (and it's probably because of the overall low quality) is they have a really weird idea of seasons both in the football and reality sense. They're effectively playing in real time now - this episode was released after the 37th week of the season, the finale will be released after then 38th, and it is currently lovely and warm (for England). Why the hell is everyone wearing coats and scarves like it's the middle of winter?

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe
Was this episode uneven as far as lighting goes for anyone else? When I watched it, it looked like one of the cameras they used had its brightness turned down by 25%. When that camera's view was displayed, the overall scene was pretty dark, and when other cameras were used it was brighter. It was particularly bad on indoor shots.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

EvilHawk posted:

I'm sorry, I know this is a fantasy TV show, but there's just no way Nate quits as a Premier League football manager who's challenging for the tile, to work in a restaurant. It's so utterly unbelievable. Just incredibly stupid and I wonder what the original Nate storyline was before the rewrite because this is awful.

The entirety of anything having to do with the Premier League in this show has always been unbeliveable though. Ted doesn't know poo poo about soccer but somehow managed to get all his UEFA coaching badges?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When did the players go from hating Nate to unanimously agreeing to ask him back I hope this turns out to be a prank

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

They all individually came to forgive & accept Nate just out of frame whenever Keely's arc was happening in frame

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jumba posted:

Was this episode uneven as far as lighting goes for anyone else? When I watched it, it looked like one of the cameras they used had its brightness turned down by 25%. When that camera's view was displayed, the overall scene was pretty dark, and when other cameras were used it was brighter. It was particularly bad on indoor shots.

Ok yes I am absolutely noticing this. Very weird. Were you watching with Dolby Vision? Wonder if it’s an issue with that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that screams an HDR issue, I didn’t notice any problems in SDR.

And personally, I don’t think Ted being compassionate towards his friend so an addict wouldn’t go back to jail where he’d likely never be cured is necessarily enabling. It was a very brief conversation that obviously isn’t going to get into the details of his support system.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

And personally, I don’t think Ted being compassionate towards his friend so an addict wouldn’t go back to jail where he’d likely never be cured is necessarily enabling. It was a very brief conversation that obviously isn’t going to get into the details of his support system.

It's not the brief story we got in this episode, it's how it reframes the episodes we've had of Beard rambling around London getting drunk with his erratic girlfriend.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe I'm just goon face blind, but who were the people who showed up at Rebecca's house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe I'm just goon face blind, but who were the people who showed up at Rebecca's house?

Rupert’s baby mama/girlfriend and his former assistant that apparently suddenly departed.