Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Finished the main story quests today and while it kind of just...stops I'm still really happy with 'em! Lots of fun character moments and cool places to explore, and I got to fight a deer :allears:

I'm finding I keep getting drawn to the Simulated Universe over and over just to see if I can make Sampo kill just THIS many more mooks... I don't know if I've ever played a jrpg with a roguelite-esque metagame before, and it's really good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

you should watch Run With The Wind, my unironic recommendation.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

yes that was 3 pages ago but it bares repeating

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The resource requirement jumping to EL4 is no joke. Only had enough banked to bring 2 characters + cones to 70, bleh.

At least it looks like tier 5 material Calyxs (arrows, shields, etc) are guaranteed to drop a blue per 10 energy instead of per ~30 energy like the previous tier.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 24, 2023

youngweeed
Jun 22, 2022
on the notes of the derail thank you for the recommendations. in high school i watched some animes like Kaiji and Akagi and Black Lagoon very badass stuff. i also was exposed to the worst stereotypes through more anime friends and the internet in those years. more recently ive dabbled in episodes of One Punch Man, JoJo, all the cool poo poo but i didnt get sucked in to continue. HI3 makes me want to finally watch Evangelion i think?

my favourite anime film is Mind Game which has a funny butt joke action scene in the beginning. i remember watching Devilman Crybaby and liking it, and ive seen Your Name and Space Dandy but mostly forget those. i guess i am biased to like action stuff in anime but not shonen except the immortal Dragon Ball, and in all genres including video games i like a good space fantasy setting, like Star Rail.

part of the appeal of Honkai is the jrpg format but with Chinese characteristics. i wanna see more of China’s cultural stuff in mainstream poo poo, as a longtime fan of Asian live action films and everything else (even Dragon Ball is based on Journey To The West so that explains why it’s so good).

Star Rail (and HI3) gameplay is pretty good imo and the story / universe is intriguing. i was surprised how sucked into it i got. i was recommended it by a Vietnamese friend from film school (we just graduated together last month) when i was mad i couldnt afford Zelda and had sold my switch to pay rent (had to book off more days than expected for film shoots). the game successfully distracted me from Zelda and is like a modern Phantasy Star of sorts which is one of the best JRPGs imo (i never finish JRPGs either but have dabbled in plenty).

one cool east meets west type jrpg is Dragon’s Dogma, and if Honkai Universe had a game like that it would be cool imo. and yeah i feel like every deadly sin of the genre has been covered in the last few pages. i dont mean to pose as a normie ive seen the culture first hand, but this gacha world is all basically brand new to me so definitely was caught off guard by some of Impact’s poo poo.

i appreciate the effort from all in the derail. i enjoyed jumping in this thread to admit i was playing Impact, as i am of the subset of goons that declares i dont believe in a guilty pleasure. i think “ironically” enjoying things is just being too insecure to admit you enjoy them. but its normal to have caveats. sometimes controversial ones

apologies for the way off topic tangents this caused. on topic: i still havent beaten Forgotten Hall 15, slowly tackling it with different teams and grinding trace/relics. that goth dude Blade looks pretty cool, i hope he’s in the next banner. i guess next story content has to feature him? his mentions in the game so far got me intrigued.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

How much you like Evangelion is directly correlated to how depressed you were in high school. If you were very depressed, watch Eva + End of Eva. If you were not depressed, watch the Rebuilds.

Alternatively, watch RahXephon if you want Eva but the focus is on the big conspiracy and mecha fights instead of psychological trauma.

(I loving love Eva and EoE and hate the Rebuilds)

sushibandit posted:

The resource requirement jumping to EL4 is no joke. Only had enough banked to bring 2 characters + cones to 70, bleh.

At least it looks like tier 5 Calyxs are guaranteed to drop a blue per 10 energy instead of per ~30 energy like the previous tier.

The exp per stamina return is pretty nasty, 10 stamina is only one purple, and it seems EL4 is the highest difficulty for those calxes. Shockingly bad conversion.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Are they gonna announce what the next set of Undying Starlight lightcones are before they reset? Because I'll probably have 600 before then and both the Gepard and Bailu signature lightcones would help a lot, but also I just rolled Jing Yuan and I doubt I'm gonna whale for his lightcone so maybe waiting to get that would be good?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

JT Jag posted:

Are they gonna announce what the next set of Undying Starlight lightcones are before they reset? Because I'll probably have 600 before then and both the Gepard and Bailu signature lightcones would help a lot, but also I just rolled Jing Yuan and I doubt I'm gonna whale for his lightcone so maybe waiting to get that would be good?

If it's like Genshin what's in that shop now will be the only things in it. You definitely won't see Jing Yuan or Seele's cone in there ever.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Eimi posted:

If it's like Genshin what's in that shop now will be the only things in it. You definitely won't see Jing Yuan or Seele's cone in there ever.
Ah, so the reset is so you can only buy that particular lightcone once a month for superimposing purposes, not because it rotates, got it

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

youngweeed posted:

on the notes of the derail thank you for the recommendations. in high school i watched some animes like Kaiji and Akagi and Black Lagoon very badass stuff. i also was exposed to the worst stereotypes through more anime friends and the internet in those years. more recently ive dabbled in episodes of One Punch Man, JoJo, all the cool poo poo but i didnt get sucked in to continue. HI3 makes me want to finally watch Evangelion i think?

my favourite anime film is Mind Game which has a funny butt joke action scene in the beginning. i remember watching Devilman Crybaby and liking it, and ive seen Your Name and Space Dandy but mostly forget those. i guess i am biased to like action stuff in anime but not shonen except the immortal Dragon Ball, and in all genres including video games i like a good space fantasy setting, like Star Rail.

part of the appeal of Honkai is the jrpg format but with Chinese characteristics. i wanna see more of China’s cultural stuff in mainstream poo poo, as a longtime fan of Asian live action films and everything else (even Dragon Ball is based on Journey To The West so that explains why it’s so good).

Star Rail (and HI3) gameplay is pretty good imo and the story / universe is intriguing. i was surprised how sucked into it i got. i was recommended it by a Vietnamese friend from film school (we just graduated together last month) when i was mad i couldnt afford Zelda and had sold my switch to pay rent (had to book off more days than expected for film shoots). the game successfully distracted me from Zelda and is like a modern Phantasy Star of sorts which is one of the best JRPGs imo (i never finish JRPGs either but have dabbled in plenty).

one cool east meets west type jrpg is Dragon’s Dogma, and if Honkai Universe had a game like that it would be cool imo. and yeah i feel like every deadly sin of the genre has been covered in the last few pages. i dont mean to pose as a normie ive seen the culture first hand, but this gacha world is all basically brand new to me so definitely was caught off guard by some of Impact’s poo poo.

i appreciate the effort from all in the derail. i enjoyed jumping in this thread to admit i was playing Impact, as i am of the subset of goons that declares i dont believe in a guilty pleasure. i think “ironically” enjoying things is just being too insecure to admit you enjoy them. but its normal to have caveats. sometimes controversial ones

apologies for the way off topic tangents this caused. on topic: i still havent beaten Forgotten Hall 15, slowly tackling it with different teams and grinding trace/relics. that goth dude Blade looks pretty cool, i hope he’s in the next banner. i guess next story content has to feature him? his mentions in the game so far got me intrigued.

anime is blood

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm probably gonna have to whale for Blade because he's a wind type destruction guy and I need to put my level two superimposition Something Irreplaceable on SOMEONE

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
IRREPLACEABLE

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Just did the quest with the guy who had a short-life mentor named Ryan. Somehow I end up getting invested in almost every side quest this game has. They have much better pacing than their Genshin equivalents. I can actually remember most/all of the characters.

Also did the Serval one. One thing I really liked is how the game seems to have gone the route of "Yeah Cocolia just sucked rear end and any connection you thought you had with her sadly never existed," and the conclusion is Serval acknowledging this and moving on. Normally I'd expect something more along the lines of "Cocolia was being manipulated by the Stellaron, and it turns out she actually did care about Serval." Sad that Serval won't be joining us on the trail, though at least characters visit after you complete their quests.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Finished the main story quests today and while it kind of just...stops I'm still really happy with 'em! Lots of fun character moments and cool places to explore, and I got to fight a deer :allears:

I'm finding I keep getting drawn to the Simulated Universe over and over just to see if I can make Sampo kill just THIS many more mooks... I don't know if I've ever played a jrpg with a roguelite-esque metagame before, and it's really good!

Someone else might have mentioned this, but Arknights has a similarly addictive roguelike mode. I usually deliberately avoid it, because every time I start playing it I end up laying in bed on my phone for like 3-4 hours. It strongly encourages a "just one more run..." mindset.

Arknights is also a very F2P-friendly game. 6*s (the highest rarity in that) drop very frequently. It lacks the absolute guarantee pity of Star Rail or Genshin (so if you're unlucky you can get hosed if you're aiming for a specific operator), but in exchange you just get way more 6*s. Lower rarity operators also often fill useful niches even better than their 6* counterparts. so it's very easy to build a strong roster, even if you might have trouble chasing a specific character.

youngweeed posted:

This is also something I like about this and Arknights (another Chinese game). There's not only the different cultural context, but there's also a fundamentally different political perspective.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 24, 2023

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Back on Jarilo a guard got on my case for smashing open supply capsules, now this guy on the space station doesn't appreciate me opening up his treasure chest

this game, I swear

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I hope once the xianzhao is fleshed out, they add another smashing containers event where that guy somehow found his way here and a Cloud Knight has teamed up with them and the Property Protection Squad just gets bigger every expansion

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

took care of the SU-3s, did Preservation for the 3/4, Abundance for 5, and Hunt for 6

More or less finished with my fireblazer, only thing I could use is orange speed boots, but there's lots of other pieces I can roll on first before I try to chase that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Should finally hit Trailblazer 50 (and the next Equilibrium) either tomorrow or the next day. Probably the next day if I rely on just dailies and spending stamina, but I could probably pull off tomorrow if I spent some extra time knocking out some of my remaining quests.

I already have the materials prepared for get all my main characters/LCs to 70 (though maybe not enough actual XP items, but I have the items you have to farm at least).

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Silver Wolf should be on the same Stagnant Shadow drop as Qingque and Seele, right? So I can prefarm for her if it comes to that?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Probably? But they do have a separate ice drop for Yanqing, so it's technically possible that they'll add a new quantum drop in 1.1.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I figure that and Jing Yuan's are different because the other tokens already had four characters on them, and they wouldn't do that for one with only two. But then in Genshin, Raiden was the only character who used Amakumo Fruit until today, so who's to say?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Was Genshin this slow to start, or because it was open world there was more stuff to tinker around in for longer before more content/events started coming out? I played it for a bit at the start and I do not recall a period this long with nothing to do. Why can't it just have 24 hour timers for assignments and stamina, there is no need to drive "engagement" with logging in twice a day when it takes longer to log in than it does to burn your 60 stamina or whatever for the forced second log in of the day. I tried doing 4 hour assignments and then a 20, but I kept forgetting so now I just run a 20 hour once a day. I am fine with having all content completed and being in a holding pattern of doing dailies and burning stamina in 5 minutes, but why make me do it twice.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Having to log in twice a day to consume all the stamina is dumb, but I don't get upset about the 20 hour assignments, I just interpret them as "once per day but you don't have to log in precisely as they end to start the next one"

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yes, 20 hours is very common as a "daily, but if you miss it by a few minutes/an hour you aren't punished for it by eventually losing out on a day's worth of rewards".

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Lacking the open world to explore and mess around in does make the difference, though Genshin also had a stamina meter that required logging in twice for maximum efficiency. They raised the cap a while after launch so you only need to log in once. No idea if they will do that here but I'm not minmax brained about it anyway.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Zurai posted:

Yes, 20 hours is very common as a "daily, but if you miss it by a few minutes/an hour you aren't punished for it by eventually losing out on a day's worth of rewards".

That is fair, I guess the rewards for min-maxing the assignments are so minimal that it does not really matter. Stamina is less optional since so much of the game is gated behind TL thresholds.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Being slightly less than 24 hours is a good thing not a bad thing. An exact 24h duration sucks because it will keep drifting later and later until one day the missions come back while you are sleeping.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
It was about the same iirc but everything takes longer in Genshin so the playtime was more padded out. I can do my whole day's worth of stamina in the same time as one relic run in genshin, not to mention all those open world puzzles

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
HSR straight up has way faster stamina regen, that's why.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tae posted:

HSR straight up has way faster stamina regen, that's why.
It's 6 minutes per point instead of 8, so you can just know you get exactly 10 per hour instead of having do weird mental arithmetic. Very convenient.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pain of Mind posted:

Was Genshin this slow to start, or because it was open world there was more stuff to tinker around in for longer before more content/events started coming out? I played it for a bit at the start and I do not recall a period this long with nothing to do. Why can't it just have 24 hour timers for assignments and stamina, there is no need to drive "engagement" with logging in twice a day when it takes longer to log in than it does to burn your 60 stamina or whatever for the forced second log in of the day. I tried doing 4 hour assignments and then a 20, but I kept forgetting so now I just run a 20 hour once a day. I am fine with having all content completed and being in a holding pattern of doing dailies and burning stamina in 5 minutes, but why make me do it twice.

it was worse, you didnt even have sim uni to do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

genshin has had like months with nothing to do

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also if you miss out on 4 hours of dispatches you're talking about like, 2k credits .a couple of mats you can easily grind off enemies. no real reason to care. the 20 hours is probably more for convenience's sake of people who play at irregular times, not to trick you into logging in twice a day.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i love that i can just blow my stamina on the herta world immersifier things right from the menu for when i don't have time to play.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Nick Buntline posted:

I've had the ticket immediately blow up more times than I've gotten a Curio out of it, let alone all the times it does nothing until it blows up on the healing items before the boss. It's 100% a trap pick.

But when it goes off, it goes off.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
only cowards fear the big lotto

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

aww poo poo
just finished all stars 15/15 on the mirrorverse

then a memory of chaos thing opened up with like 10 more levels. does this reset every week then?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

GateOfD posted:

aww poo poo
just finished all stars 15/15 on the mirrorverse

then a memory of chaos thing opened up with like 10 more levels. does this reset every week then?
Every two weeks, but yes.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

YES bread posted:

only cowards fear the big lotto

If big lotto wanted me to take it it should stop being against good relics like the hook or the cheese :colbert:

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I used my custom relic to make a crit chest for Seele in quantum set. The only piece I’m missing now is boots and while trying to get boots from the stagnant shadow (or w/e it called), I’ve now received multiple crit chests and only garbage boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

ultrachrist posted:

I used my custom relic to make a crit chest for Seele in quantum set. The only piece I’m missing now is boots and while trying to get boots from the stagnant shadow (or w/e it called), I’ve now received multiple crit chests and only garbage boots.

The trick is to go until you only need 1 piece, and make that one