Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

This, incidentally, is the show's actual lowest point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Finally!

/close thread

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Finally!

/close thread

Not so fast, I have it on good authority that the writers are quietly confident they'll be able to beat this record!

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

It's almost impressive how quickly they can they make a joke (not that it's a particularly clever or original one) and then immediately run it into the ground with Marge's line.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Interweb posted:

:barf:

i feel the movie is aggressively mid. aside from the aforementioned placing of Take on Me during the kong jungle ride, there's nothing in the movie that is particularly out of place. The biggest problem is the pacing. Everything feels way too rushed, and characters are rarely given much time to breath. sure, the movie is only 90 minutes roughly, but they could have cut out a lot of stuff in the beginning (like the all the poo poo dealing with the angry dog) to make room for actual useful stuff

I still say it's amazing compared to what we could have gotten if Hollywood had been given the slightest bit more slack to gently caress it up, and Chris Pratt was shockingly decent compared to how the trailers made him sound, but yeah, it's drat near more of a montage than a proper story. And some of the dialogue really coulda used another pass. Maybe they'll be able to breathe a bit more in a sequel.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mantis42 posted:

Well it's the name of Maggie's Happy Tree Elf doll

Huh, well I'll be damned. I didn't realize it even had a name.

Aaaaaaahhh the voices :psypop: This feels like watching a baseball game started by a pitcher who is like 50 years old, who has had a brilliant career but has also had three Tommy John surgeries and is old as gently caress in baseball years, who refuses to admit he's not what he used to be & retire even though he gets trounced and/or injured every time he plays.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think 4 of the characters are Homer.

I've always felt like it's part of a show's weakness when it hits a point where it just stops expanding its world, and The Simpsons has gone for a long while where it hasn't been adding regular characters and there's just so many one-offs that disappear forevermore after their one thing. That's why they've had to mine out new depths to formerly one-dimensional gag characters and get creative about pairing supporting characters off in new combinations.

And it's just going to get worse as the amount of available established characters decreases.

I really haven’t watched much new Simpsons at all (maybe a couple of dozen episodes from the last 20 years?), but when they try to expand the character universe more durably now it seems like it doesn’t work in the same way as it did during the golden era seasons. I saw an episode with an apparently semi-recurring love interest of Moe’s, but since it wasn’t her first appearance, it actually felt like I was missing context.

By contrast, you don’t need to see the first appearance of characters like Lionel Hutz, Dr. Nick, etc., to get them when they show up later. This is how it should be in episodic shows.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

The Moon Monster posted:

If you want to split hairs (and we are goons disusing a cartoon here) that's a photo of Apu, not Apu.

Ceci n'est pas Apu

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Well, Troy McClure always tells us why we should know him.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Halisnacks posted:

I really haven’t watched much new Simpsons at all (maybe a couple of dozen episodes from the last 20 years?), but when they try to expand the character universe more durably now it seems like it doesn’t work in the same way as it did during the golden era seasons. I saw an episode with an apparently semi-recurring love interest of Moe’s, but since it wasn’t her first appearance, it actually felt like I was missing context.

By contrast, you don’t need to see the first appearance of characters like Lionel Hutz, Dr. Nick, etc., to get them when they show up later. This is how it should be in episodic shows.

I think that's more from the fact that both episodes with her, she's part of the main plot, instead of the trajectory of most of the characters showing up a few times in gags or as supporting characters before getting put in the focus.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

If you want to split hairs (and we are goons disusing a cartoon here) that's a photo of Apu, not Apu.
these are all drawings

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fulu, from the people who brought you Mapple

e: Can't wait for the inevitable "What was the lowest point of Futurama?" thread

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Fish of hemp posted:

Well, Troy McClure always tells us why we should know him.

I know this is a joke response but it sort of illustrates the point. Old Simpsons was good at creating characters - washed up movie star, incompetent lawyer, quack doctor - that you could get with very little exposition.

Not sure that’s the case with new Simpsons.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think that's more from the fact that both episodes with her, she's part of the main plot, instead of the trajectory of most of the characters showing up a few times in gags or as supporting characters before getting put in the focus.

Maybe, I didn’t rewatch the one I saw with her nor have I seen the first. But I’d argue that Dr. Nick was part of the main plot of his first episode (Homer’s bypass), Lionel Hutz was part of the main plot (if not a main character) of several episodes, Troy McClure was the main character of an episode, etc.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

e: Can't wait for the inevitable "What was the lowest point of Futurama?" thread

The Susan Boil thing.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

IUG posted:

The Susan Boil thing.

Gender Bender or the one where Bender and Amy gently caress.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
it'll be real hard to top the susan boil episode but i can't wait to see them try

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

IUG posted:

The Susan Boil thing.

:hmmyes:

Cocaine Bear posted:

the one where Bender and Amy gently caress.

Ummmmmmmm :stare:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Is Gender Bender the one with the Robot Fighting League or did they use that pun twice? I've tried to keep a very wide berth from the movies and revival episodes.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
There was a second one where he transforms himself into a woman so he can win Olympic medals or something

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

hatty posted:

There was a second one where he transforms himself into a woman so he can win Olympic medals or something

Oh yeah, I do remember that one. Yeah, I can't imagine that's aged particularly well.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It wasn’t good at the time either

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

hatty posted:

It wasn’t good at the time either

Indeed, but what I meant was that I doubt many people were conscious of the implications of that sort of comedy at the time, even though it wasn't that long ago. I know I wasn't, though in my feeble defence, I was a pre-teen when Futurama first aired. It's been ages since I saw that episode though.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mantis42 posted:

It’s interesting to contrast this with guarded optimism for the King of the Hill reboot as it was sputtering but still functional when it ended, and Judge hit it out of the park with the Beavis & Butthead reboot so has a good chance of delivering. Compare to skimming the Futurama episode list & legit not remembering if I watched the last season.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

King of the Hill reboot I think largely depends on if they make Bobby an adult failson or not.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

bobjr posted:

King of the Hill reboot I think largely depends on if they make Bobby an adult failson or not.

My headcanon has always been that the show has been all about hinting that Bobby grows up to be a serial killer.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Nah, Bobby cares about people and despite Hank's protests, that boy is right in the end.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I don’t think I watched the Futurama movies or later seasons, but was the decline different from the Simpsons’, in that it was just down to the writing quality, and not the acting and animation as well?

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
As bad as Futurama got I don't think anyone would blame the actors. Billy West, John DiMaggio, and Tress McNeill have always been the glue that holds the show together with all the characters they do. The performances have never slipped, but Fry might start to sound kinda old in these new eps.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Nah, Bobby cares about people and despite Hank's protests, that boy is right in the end.

It'd be funnier for Bobby to be happily married and successful in whatever he's doing, while Hank still protests that the "boy ain't right" because it doesn't fit his narrow world view.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah voice acting remained very solid and with it's creative background/alien art design I don't ever remember really lessening. Writing did seem to be the only thing that really noticeably got worse. Possibly they had less more costly animated stuff, but if they did can't say I noticed it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think if you're aging up Bobby, you stop at teen and don't go all the way to like Bobby being an adult but still living in Arlen. Not that it's like inherently sad to stay in your small hometown, but that character's not meant for that.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Make that comic about him becoming a therapist canon

https://panic-volkushka.tumblr.com/post/142590132565/clients-names-and-personal-information-have-been

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/ooccouchgags/status/1662269194149273600?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

that's actually dumber than most political cartoons, congrats. like what's the purpose in-universe of the banner? why would they hang that up? it's so reversed engineered. also it's a time lapse where they don't get older and the passage of time isn't marked in any way other than the banner falling apart. the banner doesn't even say anything clever even after they modify it, was this idea so funny and insightful that it had to be told this way? they could have just had homer look into the camera and say "america bad now". gently caress you simpsons

e: they don't even have their own history right, as someone in the replies mentions, maude is shown as a ghost a year before that episode aired.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 27, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Poochie appears at 1995 but that was a 1997 episode!!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Poochie appears at 1995 but that was a 1997 episode!!

I hope someone was fired for this blunder.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just remembered that Tracey Ullman declined a voice role on the Simpsons shorts and the bit players on her sketch show became 1,000x richer and more famous than her

lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I hope Tracey Ullman was fired for that blunder

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
On the other hand: Tracey Ullman is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Keromaru5 posted:

On the other hand: Tracey Ullman is free.

This is true. Also it's hard to blame her when you watch the shorts. Imagine getting the scripts for those things and being asked to voice a character.