Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
In fairness, I think they're waiting until there's a finalized version of the ORC License before they start using that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

It is not actually necessary to post about each thing you don't care about, presumably in each thread in which things you don't care about are mentioned. That seems like it'd be a lot of work.

Tbh u also dont need to post about what you do care about. Noone needs to post ever at all.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh u also dont need to post about what you do care about. Noone needs to post ever at all.

posting is discretionary but lesbianism is mandatory?! No one told me! I've been looking like a moron!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Benagain posted:

posting is discretionary but lesbianism is mandatory?! No one told me! I've been looking like a moron!

A newsletter was sent around. You need to open your mail occasionally.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuns with Guns posted:

A newsletter was sent around. You need to open your mail occasionally.
They don't how to handle the flaps

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

3 Action Economist posted:

All of the verbiage on Kickstarter just says Creative Commons, which is what the 5e SRD is under now.

They say:

quote:

Tales of the Valiant is built on the Creative Commons and Open Roleplaying Content licenses, so the core rules are available for everyone to expand on as part of the 5E global community. Keep your investment in 5th Edition going strong!

It’s ambiguous.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Thanlis posted:

They say:

It’s ambiguous.

5e itself is CC, so I'm reading that as saying they're using the ORC for their own additions while following CC's terms for the WotC content they're using

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Thanlis posted:

They say:

It’s ambiguous.

Oh, oops, missed that very obvious part, I guess.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Leperflesh posted:

You can also draft Magic instead of paying a zillion for a constructed format where you need to buy expensive cards to be competitive. Drafting is a really good format!

I'm big on using pauper to get people into Magic as well. You can build a lot of decks for twenty bucks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
WotC's also pricing all D&D books at $60 USD going forward: https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/dungeons-dragons-price-increase-rpg-rulebooks/

honestly this is probably reasonable since it's a bunch of full-colour pages but it's causing a bunch of whining on twitter already

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Please my family is dying/stop buying D&D books/no

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

WotC's also pricing all D&D books at $60 USD going forward: https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/dungeons-dragons-price-increase-rpg-rulebooks/

honestly this is probably reasonable since it's a bunch of full-colour pages but it's causing a bunch of whining on twitter already

The most unreasonable thing about D&D has never really been the price of a given book but more that the "core D&D experience" is a three-book set. I wouldn't be surprised if $60 for a single full-color 300+ page hardback is probably still on the undercosted end of things, especially in the covid era with major shipping hassles, paper/cardboard shortages, etc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

The most unreasonable thing about D&D has never really been the price of a given book but more that the "core D&D experience" is a three-book set. I wouldn't be surprised if $60 for a single full-color 300+ page hardback is probably still on the undercosted end of things, especially in the covid era with major shipping hassles, paper/cardboard shortages, etc.

to be fair, it has been traditionally poorly organized and at points badly usable (especially the DMG), but I don't think that three book set has ever been bereft of content. TSR/WotC never sold you a book that was worthless/could be skipped/was just a cash grab in that core book set. when I look at a single-volume core rulebook for another game I often find myself wanting the wealth of examples and guidelines provided in D&D's core rules (especially for player special abilities [spells in the PHB], player loot [magic items in the DMG], and NPC antagonists [the MM]), especially if it's a tactical adventure game. (I bought supplements for PARANOIA hoping for more forms to make my players fill out and more jokes because I wasn't funny enough to come up with funny adventure ideas myself.)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Arivia posted:

yar har fiddle dee d- *handed a note* Oh. "I dont play DnD" huh.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

to be fair, it has been traditionally poorly organized and at points badly usable (especially the DMG), but I don't think that three book set has ever been bereft of content. TSR/WotC never sold you a book that was worthless/could be skipped/was just a cash grab in that core book set. when I look at a single-volume core rulebook for another game I often find myself wanting the wealth of examples and guidelines provided in D&D's core rules (especially for player special abilities [spells in the PHB], player loot [magic items in the DMG], and NPC antagonists [the MM]), especially if it's a tactical adventure game. (I bought supplements for PARANOIA hoping for more forms to make my players fill out and more jokes because I wasn't funny enough to come up with funny adventure ideas myself.)

I think it's less an argument of merit per se (because different versions of different core books across different editions have varied in terms of quality) and more that we know it's possible to make a one-book-and-done RPG where anybody can buy the One Book and have a fully playable game out of the box. Most RPGs, in fact, work this way. I find the model employed by D&D, where it is more or less literally impossible to organize and run a game of D&D without at least two of these three books' worth of content (the player book and the monsters book) to be, if I'm generous, archaic and outdated, and at my least charitable I would say the only reason it doesn't constitute a completely naked cashgrab is that I know if WotC ever tried to break away from the established convention their customer base would start complaining even more than they're going to about the price increases.

e; I'm aware that the usual counterpoint to "they expect you to buy three books" is "well only the GM needs to buy the DMG/MM, there are starter sets, etc" but I'm willing to bet that WotC counts on a slice of their customer base unfamiliar or less experienced with running TRPGs simply seeing "these are the core books you need for the game" and assuming that means they have to buy them.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 24, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I kind of agree but I think it’s a different established convention that hamstrings D&D, the tradition of what things (ancestries/classes/spells/magic items/monsters) need to be in the core rulebook.

It’s possible to imagine a one-volume starter book for D&D but it would be significantly cut down in stuff, and that “stuff” is a significantly important part of the game. I don’t think it’s fair to compare D&D to other RPGs without that tactical basis, because those other RPGs wield new content differently (ie: plenty of RPGs don’t need monster manuals.)

There’s only ever been one single-volume D&D rules set and it’s a reference not a learning tool (the Rules Cyclopedia is very upfront about what it is and what it isn’t). D&D’s never been that single-book RPG, it’s always been bigger than that.

e: oh and even Paizo’s two-volume model didn’t really work. There was always pretty important details about how to run the game in the later GameMaster Guide, and they admitted it was a core rulebook in the run up to 2e and formalized it for the 2e remaster.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I do agree that a lot of it comes down to D&D being hamstrung by its own conventions, and like I said I know the D&D fanbase would likely complain even more if they ever tried to deviate from the three corebook model.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
In industry-adjacent news: Critical Role's Ashley Johnson has filed a domestic violence restraining order against her ex, Brian Foster.

quote:

Johnson alleged “many acts of terror” by Foster, with whom she broke up with in March, against her and her family throughout the relationship, such as repeated insults and property damage. Foster was forced to vacate her Tarzana, California, home in May after the emergency protective order was issued, per the filing.

“My family members have been the subject of his outbursts, drug use, threats, and sexual assaults,” Johnson said in the filing, calling Foster “mentally unstable.” “They are fearful that he is close to the edge, has the ability to murder, and will cause harm not only to me, but to them.”

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
What a piece of poo poo

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

3 Action Economist posted:

What a piece of poo poo

For real, he sounds like an absolute dirtbag.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
From what I remember he became a serious drug addict in his early twenties, then was sober for many years.

I am guessing he relapsed. Shame.

I guess this also explains why they quietly removed him from his talkshow.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 24, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Foster was the one who'd sic CR's fanbase on people he got into Twitter arguments with until they finally fired him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Glad she's away from him and has people around her.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of absolute dirtbags, Ryan Dancey decided today was a good day to delve into gender essentialism in game design

https://twitter.com/rsdancey/status/1661082087578021888?t=bmX7C4jhrFxWW4W2RNIdLA&s=19

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
man, that's just weird, even if you take the drugs into account

bruh

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Speaking of absolute dirtbags, Ryan Dancey decided today was a good day to delve into gender essentialism in game design

https://twitter.com/rsdancey/status/1661082087578021888?t=bmX7C4jhrFxWW4W2RNIdLA&s=19

lol that he has a blue checkmark, but also

quote:

There have been a couple of pitches that came close; most commonly where a female pitched with a male designer. There is one team of two female designers that pitch great but their games are too light for us. I know why we didn't proceed with those pitches but they were at least in the ballpark.

Typically when I am pitched by a female, the game tends to fall into one of several broad categories:

* It's a game about politics; in general, we don't publish games about politics

* It's a party game; in general, we don't publish party games

* It's a pitch from a designer very early in their design journey and the game isn't competitive in the modern market - it usually is either too much like another game, or very generic, or its more of an idea than game design

Sounds like he's gotten a decent number of game pitches he's just passed on because it's "not the right culture fit" for their publishing company? :thunk:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Typically when I am pitched by a female,

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"Very early in her career" is a hell of a reason to ensure she doesn't get farther in her career.

Also "political" sounds like it's preceded by a silent "not my kind of..."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

lol that he has a blue checkmark, but also

Sounds like he's gotten a decent number of game pitches he's just passed on because it's "not the right culture fit" for their publishing company? :thunk:

Funny you should mention that.

https://twitter.com/acutenausea/status/1661231254615003136?s=20

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
AEG's not even a wargame publisher lol

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Huh. That "Steve Jobs of MMO Marketing" guy has some lovely takes.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

moths posted:

Also "political" sounds like it's preceded by a silent "not my kind of..."

I just read it this way:
https://twitter.com/emmahvossen/status/1138841342921060354

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

moths posted:

"Very early in her career" is a hell of a reason to ensure she doesn't get farther in her career.

True, but that applies to everyone in every career everywhere.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

Huh. That "Steve Jobs of MMO Marketing" guy has some lovely takes.

IMO he needs to be reminded every single day of his remaining professional career that he was associated with the complete and utter shitshow that was Pathfinder Online.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

IMO he needs to be reminded every single day of his remaining professional career that he was associated with the complete and utter shitshow that was Pathfinder Online.

IMO the industry needs to remember from time to time that when he noticed a private GAMA listserver had publicly viewable archives, he decided to use the confidential info instead of letting GAMA know about it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That war game sounds too political to me. What if we made it about giant robots instead? Those aren't political at all.

And then Dancey could reject it on the grounds that by his metric there's too many of those!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Got get 'em, Erin. :sickos:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

There's all sorts of ways to engage with this Dancey post but mostly I just want to see someone like Sasha Sienna kick him in the Jimmy

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

hyphz posted:

True, but that applies to everyone in every career everywhere.

Yeah, but for some reason the line between "promising up and comer" and "unusable noob" seems to always form a circle around white dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

I kept reading it going "...and that's bad, right? You're going to say this is because of institutional sexism in the company, right? Right?"