Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Wibla posted:

Man, that blind watch thread :allears: (quoting because it's that good :sun: )

:munch:

What's great is that all of his possibilities are correct!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
How did I just now notice Bob Kelso, Clark loyalist?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Luigi Thirty posted:

It’s based on the 1993 Russian coup but I couldn’t tell you how much astute viewers picked up on it back then.

I never knew all the ins and outs of the 1993 coup and how it doomed democracy in russia even before Putin until very recently.

gently caress you Yeltsin.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

How did I just now notice Bob Kelso, Clark loyalist?

Ken Jenkins was everywhere on TV and especially in movies in the '90s.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

although Morden never visited him again, G'kar is - in a sense - getting what he asked for: the sky of Centauri Prime to be blackened and for the cities of Centauri Prime to be torn down. We still don't know exactly how Morden works so it's possible that despite being on the side of Light, Morden was bound to honor G'kar's request, however circuitously it was done.

I find this bit interesting because I always kind of assumed the same thing, but more round about. G'kar's request seemed to lack sufficient ambition for what he wanted, but it did point him in the right direction. So he goes to the centauri, knowing that it would probably lead to granting G'Kar's request. Kind of a smarmy "Sure, i'll give you what you want" kind of a thing. Since the Shadows wanted everyone to be fighting.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I don't think there was ever any intention to fulfill the requests made in answer to Morden's question. The Shadows just wanted to take the measure of the various major players on the galactic scene, to see who would make the best tools for their own will. As mentioned, G'Kar's desire for revenge would have led to conflict with the Centauri - good - but after that, it might have been more difficult to turn it into a colossal rolling boil of galaxy-wide war.

Londo's answer, on the other hand, was (eventually) perfect for the Shadows to manipulate into the end result that they really wanted. Not Centauri dominance, but the state of chaos that their philosophy/religion held would act as a crucible to forge the survivors into a strong people.

The fact that G'Kar got his wish wasn't necessarily part of the plan, although the Shadows were always going to let the Centauri burn in the long run. It was more of a tragic irony, sort of the opposite of Vir getting his wish in the end too.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That's my point is that it's the irony of it given that the shadows didn't actually care about fulfilling the younger races wants and desires

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah we're in agreement there, I just don't think Morden fits the puckish Evil Genie archetype. I don't think he gave a poo poo what people actually wanted long enough to care whether they got it, ironically or otherwise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I don't think there was ever any intention to fulfill the requests made in answer to Morden's question. The Shadows just wanted to take the measure of the various major players on the galactic scene, to see who would make the best tools for their own will. As mentioned, G'Kar's desire for revenge would have led to conflict with the Centauri - good - but after that, it might have been more difficult to turn it into a colossal rolling boil of galaxy-wide war.

Londo's answer, on the other hand, was (eventually) perfect for the Shadows to manipulate into the end result that they really wanted. Not Centauri dominance, but the state of chaos that their philosophy/religion held would act as a crucible to forge the survivors into a strong people.

The fact that G'Kar got his wish wasn't necessarily part of the plan, although the Shadows were always going to let the Centauri burn in the long run. It was more of a tragic irony, sort of the opposite of Vir getting his wish in the end too.

Morden specifically turns down G'Kar because his dreams are too small. He's a freed slave who wants revenge on his old master and to be strong enough that nobody can master him again. Empire and conquest are part of that, but the desire to rule is secondary and his hunger has limits. Once he has his strength and his vengeance, he'll stop - his goals don't stretch beyond that.

Conversely, Londo dreams of a past long gone and as with all such dreams, it never really existed the way he remembers and it cannot be reclaimed. As such, however much he has, he'll always want more because to settle for less than everything would be insufficient.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also I didn't think that "Evil Genie" is what I was talking about, more of a "Shitposting smarmy shithead" who think's he's the smartest person in the room.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it's plenty plausible that the Narn war machine could be convinced to do further expansion, but G'kar's definitely not the guy to do it. And he's both higher status than Londo in his own government and harder to manipulate. Heck, he's even religiously dedicated enough that he'd balk at the shadows once he saw their first ship.

It's easy to lose track when remembering the overarching plot as opposed to an individual episode's plot, but it's very relevant to Londo's speech to Morden that on that day Londo was under a lot of pressure trying to salvage a crumb of the empire's legacy from criminals stealing from other criminals, and if the deal fell through it'd mean the end of his career.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it's plenty plausible that the Narn war machine could be convinced to do further expansion, but G'kar's definitely not the guy to do it. And he's both higher status than Londo in his own government and harder to manipulate. Heck, he's even religiously dedicated enough that he'd balk at the shadows once he saw their first ship.

I dunno about the religious thing. S1 G'Kar is much more of a religion as a fashion to prove how devout he is to keep himself in power. It's only later that he really becomes spiritual.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

CainFortea posted:

I dunno about the religious thing. S1 G'Kar is much more of a religion as a fashion to prove how devout he is to keep himself in power. It's only later that he really becomes spiritual.

What makes you say that?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zorak of Michigan posted:

What makes you say that?

He's very much cadding about and playing up being the ambassador at large. It's not serious to him, since the Narn are the ones on top at the start of the show. And sure, things don't always go his way but he hasn't really seen the bottom of the well yet.

I'm not saying he's secretly an athiest or something, but the whole reverence for G'quan seems to be more of a cultural thing for him at the start. It's only later once everything goes wrong for him and his people that he starts to find actual faith, and starts drawing strength from that faith.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Mr. Morden... IS... The Wishmaster

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CainFortea posted:

He's very much cadding about and playing up being the ambassador at large. It's not serious to him, since the Narn are the ones on top at the start of the show. And sure, things don't always go his way but he hasn't really seen the bottom of the well yet.

I'm not saying he's secretly an athiest or something, but the whole reverence for G'quan seems to be more of a cultural thing for him at the start. It's only later once everything goes wrong for him and his people that he starts to find actual faith, and starts drawing strength from that faith.

Specifically he goes full convert after Kosh appears to him as his father. Before that he was still faithful, though - I believe he recognised the Shadow ships from the Book of G'Quan?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Again, i'm not saying he's faking it or has no knowledge. Just commenting on the level of importance the book of g'quan has to his character in the beginning vs later on.

There's a difference between someone who observes religion because of cultural reasons vs one who has a personal calling to it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Again, i'm not saying he's faking it or has no knowledge. Just commenting on the level of importance the book of g'quan has to his character in the beginning vs later on.

There's a difference between someone who observes religion because of cultural reasons vs one who has a personal calling to it.

Oh, sure, I'm not arguing with you. But it was less a Damascene conversion than it was an epiphany. His faith was always there, he just didn't fully understand how the lessons applied to his life.

G'Kar is actually a close parallel to Neroon - fighting men who realised that their true calling was spiritual. Neroon was also more complex than he at first appeared; you could be his enemy and yet still win his respect. And like Neroon G'Kar was often antagonistic because his position almost demanded it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So the CW just axed a bunch of shows that'd been in development for a while and the new guy in charge has made it clear that anything that was in development under the previous guy is pretty much dead. Which...doesn't bode well for the reboot.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It was always a long shot, I just hope that enough interest in the anime gets them to look at it again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Polaron posted:

So the CW just axed a bunch of shows that'd been in development for a while and the new guy in charge has made it clear that anything that was in development under the previous guy is pretty much dead. Which...doesn't bode well for the reboot.

Straczynski always said that Mark Pedowitz, the former CEO of The CW, was the champion of the reboot and essentially the only reason it was still alive.

So, yeah, it ain't happening.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Timby posted:

Straczynski always said that Mark Pedowitz, the former CEO of The CW, was the champion of the reboot and essentially the only reason it was still alive.

So, yeah, it ain't happening.

I haven't seen anything on them terminating the development process and JMS just said that development has halted during the writers' strike. Nobody's been shy about announcing that they've axed development on other shows, so if there were no chance they'd have announced that along with the others. Not announcing means they haven't decided yet; there's no reason for them to secretly axe it without announcement for fear of fan reaction, because they don't care what the fans think.

My assumption is that they're going to see how the animated movie performs before making any decisions. While Pedowitz was certainly the main champion of the reboot, the important change was that the executive at WB who hated B5 is gone.

Besides, the worst-case scenario isn't no reboot, it's reboot for two seasons followed by pulling a Batgirl for S3.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Narsham posted:

My assumption is that they're going to see how the animated movie performs before making any decisions.

Yeah, I agree with this. It'd be real stupid to make a decision one way or another before you release a movie and find out how much interest there is in the project.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Gonna get the reboot, but it's a cgi cartoon in the same vein as Prodigy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Narsham posted:

I haven't seen anything on them terminating the development process and JMS just said that development has halted during the writers' strike. Nobody's been shy about announcing that they've axed development on other shows, so if there were no chance they'd have announced that along with the others. Not announcing means they haven't decided yet; there's no reason for them to secretly axe it without announcement for fear of fan reaction, because they don't care what the fans think.

My assumption is that they're going to see how the animated movie performs before making any decisions. While Pedowitz was certainly the main champion of the reboot, the important change was that the executive at WB who hated B5 is gone.

Besides, the worst-case scenario isn't no reboot, it's reboot for two seasons followed by pulling a Batgirl for S3.

The CW CEO said that all live-action shows that were previously in development had been returned to the studios.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Narsham posted:

I can’t imagine JMS letting that happen again. I would be mighty surprised if any reboot or new series didn’t have a multi-season contract.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Doctor Zero posted:

I can’t imagine JMS letting that happen again. I would be mighty surprised if any reboot or new series didn’t have a multi-season contract.

I'd be more surprised if it did. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a show getting a guaranteed run of seasons. EDIT: Oh, you probably mean the lead actor pulling out, gotcha.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Gonna get the reboot, but it's a cgi cartoon in the same vein as Prodigy.

If it's as good as Prodigy, we'd be lucky to count our blessings.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea prodigy is pretty great

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Dirty posted:

I'd be more surprised if it did. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a show getting a guaranteed run of seasons. EDIT: Oh, you probably mean the lead actor pulling out, gotcha.

No I meant a guaranteed run. Sorry I don’t watch supergirl. Was that what happened? JMS always has ‘escape plans’ for actor switches.

Multi season deals happen. The LotR series got one. Pretty sure Supernatural got blocks of seasons as well.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 24, 2023

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

For a second there I was really confused at how Legend of the Rangers got a multi season deal.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Doctor Zero posted:

No I meant a guaranteed run. Sorry I don’t watch supergirl. Was that what happened? JMS always has ‘escape plans’ for actor switches.
It was Batwoman - I don't watch it either, so this is just stuff I've garnered through news feed headlines, but the actress playing Batwoman pulled out after season 1, leaving them in the position of having to write in a new lead character. Since B5 was in a similar spot, I guess that's where my mind went.

quote:

Plenty of shows get multi season deals. Picard, For example.
That's a good point, but I don't think it was a multi season for the show. I think with Picard it may have been a case of Patrick Stewart wanting to limit his time, and agreeing to be contracted for three seasons max. Stewart also talked of 3 seasons being planned, ("we are set up for possibly three years of this show") but it doesn't sound like a sure thing. To be honest, if it was, we might have had a coherent arc to the whole thing.

I know some shows get made with the expense of a second season baked into the cost of setting up the first. Several shows (like Halo) get a second-season announcement before the first has aired, but usually after someone higher up has at least seen the finished first seasons and decided it's got a good chance. The Rings of Power seems like it might have got a 5 season deal, although details are sketchy on what that actually means. However, if it is a guarantee, then the takeaway there is that you have to be the most expensive television series ever made.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I was originally thinking of the Batgirl movie, completed and then shelved unaired as a tax write-off. The fact that the reference can be so ambiguous isn’t exactly reassuring.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Dirty posted:

I know some shows get made with the expense of a second season baked into the cost of setting up the first. Several shows (like Halo) get a second-season announcement before the first has aired, but usually after someone higher up has at least seen the finished first seasons and decided it's got a good chance. The Rings of Power seems like it might have got a 5 season deal, although details are sketchy on what that actually means. However, if it is a guarantee, then the takeaway there is that you have to be the most expensive television series ever made.

It's very possible that it's rare, and I am mixing up "The Studio is onboard with it" and "the actors are signed for many seasons" with "This will happen barring the collapse of society."

Next time I talk to a show-runner I'll ask. :haw:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 24, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

F poo poo just got to the end of the Shadow War. I'm having a good chortle at him saying "nice to see a happy moment for Londo, the poor guy" after he was "gently caress 'em, the Centauri deserve everything they get" not half a season ago.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

F poo poo just got to the end of the Shadow War. I'm having a good chortle at him saying "nice to see a happy moment for Londo, the poor guy" after he was "gently caress 'em, the Centauri deserve everything they get" not half a season ago.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I found an interview clip on Youtube of Bill Mumy talking about taking the role of Lennier. It's not that he didn't like Babylon 5 or his costars (as far as I know) but the costuming was apparently a lot more elaborate and time-consuming than he had anticipated. It make me appreciate the work he did on the series even more than I already did.

4x13: Rumors, Bargains & Lies

That was exceptionally well done on Sheridan's part, but he was playing a dangerous game. Push the innuendo a bit too much, and he could have easily started a panic spiral among the Non Aligned Worlds that would have caused more problems.

I'm really warming up to the Voice of the Resistance. At first I thought it was a bit on the naive side to think that you could fight a propaganda war with fascists and win, but using Draal/Zathras' broadcasting system to blast a signal to Earth might be a smart thing to do. Maybe it won't change any minds about Sheridan or Babylon 5 but it might turn public opinion away from Clark.

Lennier is a good man. If Delenn doesn't see the world as we do, and we should hope to see things more her way, we should also hope to be as loyal as Lennier.

:allears:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

:pusheen:

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Mumy is absolutely right in that interview when he says Lennier was done dirty at the end.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It doesn't seem like there was really much of a plan for any of the ambassador aides. Vir was just lucky that he was a perfect foil for Londo as he went dark places. Lennier being slavishly loyal to Delenn at least meant he wouldn't fall out of the show like Na'toth, but the show never really knew what else to do with him. Mumy's idea for Lennier to be romantically interested in Delenn didn't really provide any good direction for the character since JMS was planning for her to get with the human commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

e: Never mind, I'm an idiot