Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I remember when Zelda was about a princess who dressed as a cool ninja and made me feel funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I remember when Zelda was about a kid with a sword who got turned into a pink bunny in the Dark World and made me feel funny

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I remember when Zelda was about a kid who got a sword that shot swords from an old man in a cave.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I remember when Zelda was about a kid with a sword who stabbed and shot a pig dude to death

I remember when Link was called Zelda by everyone and you played it on the Intendo.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I don't remember anything, I've washed up on this beach and a blonde girl is standing over me?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Oh, you mean Death Stranding?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Link, you are a link between worlds. A link to the past you might say.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I remember when Zelda was about a kid with a sword who became a train conductor and made me want a model train

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Terrible joke

Philippe has a new favorite as of 13:35 on May 24, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Hey, listen. Some of us just like twinks in gauzy silk, okay

e: imo this is funnier without context so gently caress it, it can stay

Angry Diplomat has a new favorite as of 14:01 on May 24, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Philippe posted:

Terrible joke

With US states like Missouri already having restricted ND access to gender affirming care, might want to save this joke for in-group spaces if using it at all.

Somebody has a new favorite as of 13:35 on May 24, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's fair. I'll adjust.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
:yikes:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

wow i thought it was just me

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I remember when Zelda was amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock! I need Scissors! 61!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Meowywitch posted:

wow i thought it was just me

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Nosigns

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Haystack posted:

Loving these glitches, folks, keep em coming

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/eUFWzYJ.mp4

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Which skate game is this? I love physics malfunctions like this.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Prism posted:

Which skate game is this? I love physics malfunctions like this.

Skate 3. Search for Helixsnake and have fun.

E: This should get you started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaUR6u8nHoM

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/TafferKing451/status/1661658366941487108

A short story about finding a glitch from the Gloomwood developer. I thought it was funny.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Durf posted:

currently in the middle of character rigging and this made me laugh really hard

https://i.imgur.com/vbW9ogD.mp4

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

PurpleXVI posted:

A short story about finding a glitch from the Gloomwood developer. I thought it was funny.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, thank you for sharing

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

this was linked in the replies and is also pretty entertaining https://steamcommunity.com/app/671920/discussions/0/3492004456594512676/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I'm mad that they called a framerate-dependent bug a "race condition". That's not a race condition!

Also, I can't believe that they spent months of dev effort on this instead of just shrugging and adding a script to the bunsen burner level to force the matches into your inventory.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Old man just gettin a beard boner

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm mad that they called a framerate-dependent bug a "race condition". That's not a race condition!

Also, I can't believe that they spent months of dev effort on this instead of just shrugging and adding a script to the bunsen burner level to force the matches into your inventory.

That's called fixing it properly.

Also, it could have been a race condition that only happened at high framerates and they just explained it badly.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Dabir posted:

That's called fixing it properly.

Also, it could have been a race condition that only happened at high framerates and they just explained it badly.

Its not super clear but I'm pretty certain this is the case. Basically since the level exit was actually two separate entities that accidentally overlapped ever so slightly, a player could unintentionally and inadvertently trigger both of them virtually simultaneously and create the issue, but only if the framerate is over 60PFS. It is framerate dependent, presumably because of however the polling impacts of higher framerates interact with the physics engine and when that happens (hitting the perfect spot in the exit zone on a fast computer) it does appear to create something that could be described as a race condition.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

As described it sounds like a race between the event queue processor executing the first "go to next level" event and unloading the level, and the second exit volume getting a collision event and enqueuing a second level change event, which is usually won by the level unload but, at high framerates, can be won by collision detection instead.

quote:

That would have been a lot easier but also resulted in some players missing the candle level entirely, although they didn't realize that level was being skipped until the very end, sounds like.

I definitely get the impulse to figure out exactly why some weird bug is happening rather than just putting an ad hoc patch in for it, though; who knows what other side effects are lurking in the dark?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PurpleXVI posted:

Tale as old as time.

Quoted cause it's a gigantic indexed blog: https://joesiegler.blog/2014/12/happy-20th-rise-of-the-triad/

quote:

The last story is one called “I’m Free”. This is a reference to a map error in Rise of the Triad. Things that moved around the map were essentially stupid. You defined them as moving, and they’d take off and move. And would continue to move until they hit a map marker to tell them to change direction. So basically it was up to the mapper to come up with a proper working maze of arrows in the editor for all the moving walls to follow. If you didn’t, and made a mistake, the moving wall (or whatever) would just keep going until it got off the side of the map grid. That was bad, because anything that attempted to exist outside of the map grid would crash the game. (Think dividing by zero kind of issue). During map design, we would frequently make mistakes, and send pushwalls off the side of the map grid. It was annoying, because you then had to go back into Ted and follow your own path. I know I had one map path that was really weird as I had about a dozen walls all moving around 2-3 paths in a room, and it was hard to follow my own work at times. The pushwall error happened enough that one time Joe Selinske had experienced it, and just shouted “I’m Free!”. Tom being Tom drew the now famous “I’m Free” image which is a representation of the pushwall having escaped off the side of the map grid. We thought it was hilarious, I scanned in his drawing, and a trap was put in for the crash that would be generated by this error, and displayed the image. It of course was the intended behavior for two warp only levels, the aptly named “This Causes An Error!” and “This Causes an Error Too!”. The image made us laugh so hard, we created dummy levels just to show it! Haha.

Your escaped physics object garbage collection needs to be really thorough (but still performant, curse you collision overhead) because you're going to at worst crash. Although interesting middleware interaction that Unity can use a coordinate system that physics eventually gives up if you pass even one out of range entity. Itd be nice if middleware with less coordinate space than the engine would have an "I'm free" type exception to crash or catch and handle as a final garbage collection trigger.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

That would have been a lot easier but also resulted in some players missing the candle level entirely, although they didn't realize that level was being skipped until the very end, sounds like.

I definitely get the impulse to figure out exactly why some weird bug is happening rather than just putting an ad hoc patch in for it, though; who knows what other side effects are lurking in the dark?

Oh yeah, I'd hate to leave the mystery unsolved. But also, when launch is looming? I'm shocked they had the time/energy budget to spend on a deep dive into this one issue.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
They said it took years to figure out? Doesn't seem like it was being given priority, more of a time available bug. As you do when something isn't really being reported by many people.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

ToxicFrog posted:

From a player perspective, I’ve seen some of this firsthand playing the MMORPG Vanguard when it was still active. The game was frequently referred to as a bunch of spaghetti code and bugs weren’t uncommon (like falling through the floor/geometry in certain places) and there were some definite underlying issues that would crop up if anything in the code was hosed with. Like when they tried to adjust character speeds and caused all player characters to baby step and all mobs to sprint, even when walking. Or the time they accidentally broke the damage protection on a handful of abilities, which also happened to cause a specific piece of gear to make your character unkillable when equipped.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh yeah, I'd hate to leave the mystery unsolved. But also, when launch is looming? I'm shocked they had the time/energy budget to spend on a deep dive into this one issue.

It wasn't reported until after launch, and then only by a tiny minority of players on one specific platform, so...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

It wasn't reported until after launch, and then only by a tiny minority of players on one specific platform, so...

Ah, my mistake, for some reason I had the impression it was a prelaunch bug. Reading comprehension is not with me lately, it seems.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

The real mistake is designing the command such that executing it twice in a row yields different results. Imagine there's some "player is stuck vibrating in place" kinda bug and you have the player tripping the trigger volume every frame or whatever. Now you've got a much bigger problem.
If they'd made it "go to level X" instead of "go to next level" the problem would've been moot.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

redneck nazgul posted:

Durf posted:

currently in the middle of character rigging and this made me laugh really hard

https://i.imgur.com/vbW9ogD.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ZUJNgwlfY

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kyte posted:

The real mistake is designing the command such that executing it twice in a row yields different results. Imagine there's some "player is stuck vibrating in place" kinda bug and you have the player tripping the trigger volume every frame or whatever. Now you've got a much bigger problem.
If they'd made it "go to level X" instead of "go to next level" the problem would've been moot.
This is the correct architecture and various schemes can be googled that achieve being able to level pointer +1 without incrementing on nuisance calls while still being able to centrally maintain the level list/tech IDs. It's basically how any internet store or banking works, but also shows up in things like efficient UI design to transition through screens in a consistent and safe way. There's safe ways to progress through a list so I'd just leave it as an ounce of prevention saves a pound of bug fixes.

If your PC is oscillating coordinates you're going to have a degraded collision detection throughout everything everywhere and you'll probably fix it before it vibrates in and out of the level because you're having issues going through tight spots and interacting with things.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This game looks kind of bad for a 2023 release, I hope we get a lot of funny glitches out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

zedprime posted:

This is the correct architecture and various schemes can be googled that achieve being able to level pointer +1 without incrementing on nuisance calls while still being able to centrally maintain the level list/tech IDs. It's basically how any internet store or banking works, but also shows up in things like efficient UI design to transition through screens in a consistent and safe way. There's safe ways to progress through a list so I'd just leave it as an ounce of prevention saves a pound of bug fixes.

If your PC is oscillating coordinates you're going to have a degraded collision detection throughout everything everywhere and you'll probably fix it before it vibrates in and out of the level because you're having issues going through tight spots and interacting with things.
In the end the point is that anything that's potentially subject to user or accidental fuckery should probably be idempotent because at least that way things won't snowball.

(also I was thinking like, you get stuck in a weird bit of geometry or some NPC gets stuck weirdly or stuff like that)