Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
is egyptians bein nuts about scarabs an obscure historical detail now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

is egyptians bein nuts about scarabs an obscure historical detail now?

Nowadays, I'd say yes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Most people don't even know how far the Pyramids and pharaohs are from Cleopatra

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

de LYONesse

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If you want to play Norsca, get mods to make the faction feel on par with others. It's not that their units suck it's just that the faction as a whole is not as fun to play as the newly updated factions.

It can definitely be worth looking around for Norsca mods because grinding down civilization with your mammoths and werewolves is a pretty nice vibe

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Kanos posted:

I assume that they're going to be conservative with the initial release of Old World and stick to already established factions to see if it finds any real traction at all before they sink the resources into what would require a whole new model range for a niche product.

Yeah it seems like it'll mostly be re-releases of old Fantasy models with a few new things scattered around in small numbers. I agree that if the launch is succesful we can expect entirely new armies (eventually)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

this was obviously a huge improvement for them and everyone is happier. I'm not sure I've seen people complain or wish for the old horde style to come back since it happened

am i the only horde enjoyer? i even used to play a lot of WoC back before the rework cause hordes are just fun.

pre-rework beastmen were my fav faction, a sneaky horde of units that are poo poo unless they are CHAAARGING and can ambush attack. they were an underdog faction that could punch way above their weight under circumstances they were designed to easily get. and you could just flee danger and attack weak poo poo making bank travelling across the world.
now theyr an unstoppable fighty army that is encouraged to stick around and farm currencies.

WoC are now tethered to the big fortresses in the north but at least once you have 2 or 3 max you can just leave to act like a horde. its a bit weird that they dont have any incentive to conquer the south, just the north. that seems like the opposite of what you would be incentivising

i'm not that big a fan of every faction now having multiple currencies and gubbins everywhere, sometimes it works but sometimes it just seems like gamification for gamifications sake

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 24, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Communist Thoughts posted:

am i the only horde enjoyer? i even used to play a lot of WoC back before the rework cause hordes are just fun.

I would have enjoyed my WoC game in 2 a lot more if you had a way to stop people from resettling the ruins you leave behind. Even before I was chasing elves in circles around Ulthuan, I felt like all I was doing was clearing the way for the vampires to take over the world.

I felt they desperately needed a way to outright delete settlements or make an icon prevent resettlement until the army that planted it was defeated or some such.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I was in the minority but I loved the old WoC. I loved being able to migrate across the map just burning everything and recruiting new hordes as I went. New system is also great though.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It's not a horde but I've always liked Norsca and very much disagreed with people who say their campaign or roster is in desperate need of a rework or addon. Often it seems like the common complain is "you have to spend so long time just fighting other Norscans and Norsca/Chaos Wastes is a useless pile of dirty that's tedious to defend", but that's the clue don't do that. Norsca has both buildings and character skills that boost sacking and raiding income, that's your economy.

The sea is right there, sail on down to Norden and sack it to hell and back. Sack Erengrad. March inland and sack Middenheim. Sack Marienburg. Don't bother with more than one or two close-by settlements in Norsca itself, ones you can easily defend with one army. Ignore or make nice with your Norscan neighbors. Sail on down to Bretonnia or Ulthuan, sack everything. Maybe instead of going back just set up shop there. Who cares if in the meantime someone takes your piece of crap Norscan settlements? Bordeleaux is your new home. When you feel like it and you've plundered and pillaged enough, just sail away to a new home.

I honestly really like it, it's fairly effective, fun, gives you variety in the campaign and it fits with the flavor of the campaign.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 24, 2023

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I loved having two hordes next to each other that suffered attrition

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I remember teaching a twitch player about old norsca.

He kept lamenting that his places got sacked, he had no defense.

I informed him that your territories were there to slow the enemy down. Your money was not from cities, but from combat and sacking.

Once he figured that out, he would be overjoyed as Leon would come up there, take 3 cities, then be piss easy to defeat.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Norsca also has the krump mechanic, so you don't so much have to conquer rival territory as much as beat up their boss, if that's what you want to do.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Have they done anything to make norsca fun or does the faction still just feel anaemic?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bobtheconqueror posted:

Norsca also has the krump mechanic, so you don't so much have to conquer rival territory as much as beat up their boss, if that's what you want to do.

One reason I've tentatively pegged Skarbrand as my first TW3 campaign is because I like the sound of how he takes territory, how you want to just take province capitals, raze the rest, and let the minor settlements get picked up automatically.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

JBP posted:

Have they done anything to make norsca fun or does the faction still just feel anaemic?

They already are fun.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Randarkman posted:

They already are fun.

So no. Thankyou.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cythereal posted:

One reason I've tentatively pegged Skarbrand as my first TW3 campaign is because I like the sound of how he takes territory, how you want to just take province capitals, raze the rest, and let the minor settlements get picked up automatically.

DO NOT PEG SKARBRAND

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

JBP posted:

So no. Thankyou.

They did actually change stuff about their campaign for IE though. Mostly economic stuff.

But your question also begs the question of "how would Norsca be made fun to you" "why is it not fun to you?".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Randarkman posted:

They did actually change stuff about their campaign for IE though. Mostly economic stuff.

But your question also begs the question of "how would Norsca be made fun to you" "why is it not fun to you?".

The campaign mechanics weren't great and the unit roster was underwhelming, but fine. It's mainly that the campaign just felt half baked.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

DO NOT PEG SKARBRAND

If it's good enough for Ryan Reynolds in Deadpool, it's good enough for the Bloodthirster who went "Tzeentch wants me to take a swing at Khorne? Sounds like a great idea!"

More seriously, the new terraforming effects from corruption in all the videos I've seen of TW3 look amazing compared to TW3, and that narrowed it down to Kairos or Skarbrand for me, and Kairos' starting position looks to be less than ideal.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

They made them more port dependent for cash.

They really need to just remove hunts from the tech tree.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cythereal posted:

If it's good enough for Ryan Reynolds in Deadpool, it's good enough for the Bloodthirster who went "Tzeentch wants me to take a swing at Khorne? Sounds like a great idea!"

Yeah you're right, Skarbrand (and Bloodthirsters in general) are THICC

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Randarkman posted:

It's not a horde but I've always liked Norsca and very much disagreed with people who say their campaign or roster is in desperate need of a rework or addon. Often it seems like the common complain is "you have to spend so long time just fighting other Norscans and Norsca/Chaos Wastes is a useless pile of dirty that's tedious to defend", but that's the clue don't do that. Norsca has both buildings and character skills that boost sacking and raiding income, that's your economy.

The sea is right there, sail on down to Norden and sack it to hell and back. Sack Erengrad. March inland and sack Middenheim. Sack Marienburg. Don't bother with more than one or two close-by settlements in Norsca itself, ones you can easily defend with one army. Ignore or make nice with your Norscan neighbors. Sail on down to Bretonnia or Ulthuan, sack everything. Maybe instead of going back just set up shop there. Who cares if in the meantime someone takes your piece of crap Norscan settlements? Bordeleaux is your new home. When you feel like it and you've plundered and pillaged enough, just sail away to a new home.

I honestly really like it, it's fairly effective, fun, gives you variety in the campaign and it fits with the flavor of the campaign.

This is basically my thoughts and how I always end up playing Norsca as well, though the economy changes made it easier too. Last time I just started as Wulfric, took my starting province, beat up the dude you start at war with and just released him for standing, netting a peace + NAP deal and that was it. After that I was just down in the Empire/Brettonia settling ports and beating up Southerners for their shinies as the Gods intended :black101:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Noir89 posted:

This is basically my thoughts and how I always end up playing Norsca as well, though the economy changes made it easier too. Last time I just started as Wulfric, took my starting province, beat up the dude you start at war with and just released him for standing, netting a peace + NAP deal and that was it. After that I was just down in the Empire/Brettonia settling ports and beating up Southerners for their shinies as the Gods intended :black101:

Hell, with the allied recruitment and settlement trading of WH3 you can even spice it up a bit by playing the mercenary. If you're not at war with Louen, maybe you can be the one to solve his Vampire or Greenskin problem? If not Louen, maybe the Fay Enchantress is interested, or you could help out Mousillon or Grom instead. In any case declare war on someone's enemy, preferably an enemy with a port, take that port settlement and keep fighting them from there, trade settlements back to the faction you want to befriend in return for treaties and gold. Add some fun units to your armies (I'd also just recommend the mod that increases the number of allied units you can have in an army). Once you're done with that consider selling off your port as well and move on to new pastures.

It's actually a fairly fun way to play a campaign. I played a Teclis one like that recently where I secured his starting province never bothered going to hell-Anatarctica and fighting Kairos, helped Kroq-Gar beat up his Skaven enemies, traded him back provinces then with tech ready and my armies supplemented with Lizardmen I sailed north to the Empire and basically played Nakai with Karl Franz as my "vassal" faction I was giving land I conquered off Festus and Vlad back to the Empire with my mixed High-Elf and Lizardmen army.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

pre-rework beastmen were my fav faction, a sneaky horde of units that are poo poo unless they are CHAAARGING and can ambush attack. they were an underdog faction that could punch way above their weight under circumstances they were designed to easily get. and you could just flee danger and attack weak poo poo making bank travelling across the world.
now theyr an unstoppable fighty army that is encouraged to stick around and farm currencies.

WoC are now tethered to the big fortresses in the north but at least once you have 2 or 3 max you can just leave to act like a horde. its a bit weird that they dont have any incentive to conquer the south, just the north. that seems like the opposite of what you would be incentivising

i'm not that big a fan of every faction now having multiple currencies and gubbins everywhere, sometimes it works but sometimes it just seems like gamification for gamifications sake

you're not required to hang around and defend herdstones after you plop one down. hell you don't even really need to be min-maxing. I basically just cut a path in a general direction with my LL then use my second army to clean up. I use herdstones as temporary rest stops and upgrade points

as for WoC you only really need 1 fortress to be moving south and there are a bunch of cities that count as Black Fortresses throughout the Old World, Dark Lands and Cathay. Could there be more? sure but it's not dire

the problem with horde style chaos of old is when you took on a hard battle, razed and got put into an awkward landing zone where some punk rear end Averland shows up and kicks your rear end. then you see campaign over screen or you're stuck baby sitting and hoping no one gets to your back up lord hiding in the woods. which doesn't feel great

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I just wish there were a few more Dark Fortress sites in the Empire and Brettonia and Ulthuan. Like, shouldn't it be a goal of a Chaos army to conquer the Order faction capitols?

Like, I don't get why Praag is a DF site, but not Erengrad or Kislev.

Other than that, WoC is probably my favorite faction right now.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

wedgie deliverer posted:

I just wish there were a few more Dark Fortress sites in the Empire and Brettonia and Ulthuan. Like, shouldn't it be a goal of a Chaos army to conquer the Order faction capitols?

Praag is one because it was the site of a Chaos invasion from Asavar Kul. which empowered Chaos to its current height. tho I agree with you yeah there could be more, this is the current map

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Randarkman posted:

I really enjoy norsca and it's probably the campaign I play most after orcs.

That said, they need some units who are better at sieges. Their lineup has no war machines, few fliers, and their elite infantry is way too expensive to use en masse. They need more stuff for walls especially since their lords don't fly.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Souls resource kinda encourages you to march south since daemons don't give you any and you can eventually run out of Norscans to conquer, but they could use a more concrete incentive. Maybe do something similar to the Waagh system where you get some sort of factionwide buff for every non-Chaos faction you eliminate

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

This actually has story support! The reason why Chaos doesn't conquer the world until the end times is that the Chaos factions hate each other even more than they hate everyone else and it's basically impossible for them to work together until someone strong enough shows up that he can say "follow me or I'll loving kill you". In the background this is Archaon, but in the context of TWW it's basically whichever chaos dude you're planning to play as. Kick the poo poo out of your upstart chaos neighbors to build yourself enough of a powerbase to form a doomtide that kills everyone south of you.

It's a lot more thematically appropriate than the old model of "the Chaos doomtide is actually about two armies of dudes burning a very narrow path into the Empire that is immediately resettled behind them by whoever they didn't kill like the water closing behind a passing boat, and periodically the two armies of the Chaos doomtide have to book it and hide because 6 order stacks showed up and they're still using marauders and don't have lightning strike yet".

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Kanos posted:

This actually has story support! The reason why Chaos doesn't conquer the world until the end times is that the Chaos factions hate each other even more than they hate everyone else and it's basically impossible for them to work together until someone strong enough shows up that he can say "follow me or I'll loving kill you". In the background this is Archaon, but in the context of TWW it's basically whichever chaos dude you're planning to play as. Kick the poo poo out of your upstart chaos neighbors to build yourself enough of a powerbase to form a doomtide that kills everyone south of you.

If I had my way this would be an actual concrete mechanic -- have the title of Everchosen be up for grabs by all the WoC LLs (and Wulfrik too probably) instead of Archaon having it by default. Once you win it somehow, you unlock the ability to confed and/or vassalize the other WoC lords like he does, and then there'd have to be some other mechanic to incentivize you to march south.

WoC are pretty feature complete already though, there are other factions that need content way more than they do

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Randarkman posted:

Norsca has both buildings and character skills that boost sacking and raiding income
Norsca no longer has buildings that boost anything globally.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

wedgie deliverer posted:

There are a few mods that sprinkle in more Dark Fortresses, or plaster them all across the map to your taste. The reason CA chose the existing DF locations was for lore reasons. Chaos didn't conquer most places, they just killed everyone and razed it. Only a couple spots were special enough to occupy, usually due to their religious significance or because they had hidden portals to the warp or whatever.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah there reason why Middenheim is a Dark Fortress while Reikland isn't is that Middenheim got sieged like Praag did, unlike Reikland. Nuln also got targeted by Chaos during the Tamurkhan events too.

Anyways, patch when CA

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Azran posted:

Yeah there reason why Middenheim is a Dark Fortress while Reikland isn't is that Middenheim got sieged like Praag did, unlike Reikland. Nuln also got targeted by Chaos during the Tamurkhan events too.

Anyways, patch when CA

No patches

Only dead game

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Skulls starts tomorrow, I could see new patch and price drop. pretty plz buy our game

for those who don't know what the Skulls event is; GW hosts an event every year showcasing the games and cross promotional stuff they do with other companies: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/17/skulls-2023-returns-next-week-with-rahul-kohli-as-host/

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

If I had my way this would be an actual concrete mechanic -- have the title of Everchosen be up for grabs by all the WoC LLs (and Wulfrik too probably) instead of Archaon having it by default. Once you win it somehow, you unlock the ability to confed and/or vassalize the other WoC lords like he does, and then there'd have to be some other mechanic to incentivize you to march south.

WoC are pretty feature complete already though, there are other factions that need content way more than they do

isnt that a Norscan mechanic? Havent played them since TWW1, but i recall being able to take the title of Everchosen and receive massive faction bonuses that allowed me to field a ton of armies and burn the rest of the world down. Had to kill Archaon to do it, but it felt thematically really cool

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

They removed the Chaos Invasion in 3 and replaced it with the endgame scenarios so Norsca can no longer tell Archaon to go eat a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

HerraS posted:

They removed the Chaos Invasion in 3 and replaced it with the endgame scenarios so Norsca can no longer tell Archaon to go eat a dick

Well, they can, it's just that they don't get a special event for it. You just go and kick his rear end the old-fashioned way. Norsca is uniquely positioned to wage a hell-war against Chaos because all of that territory is habitable to them and they're immune to chaos attrition.