Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Right, so ‘Croc was a woman’ theory comes from what the posters above describe. The ‘Croc is Luffy’s mom’ comes from the idea that Croc acts oddly during Marineford after it’s revealed that Luffy is Dragon’s son. He takes more risks to protect Luffy after that, like defending him from Akainu. Some claim Croc’s actions here are out of character… unless Croc just learned Luffy is his son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

CommunityEdition posted:

The entire setup seems tailor-made to kill any ambition among the Celestial Dragons. Nothing to aspire to, nothing that ever needs to be worked for, not even any reason to be able to defend oneself competently.

Charlos pretty clearly dreams of enslaving a mermaid

I wonder if Charlos looks like someone Oda knows in real life and he's giving them the Dante Aligheiri treatment.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Crocodile can’t be Luffy’s mother because Ivankov didn’t know Dragon had a son.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

MorningMoon posted:

I think a recent-ish SBS said there were no comics? But there are basically illustrated books, just more like one drawing next to a page of text.

Sora, Warrior of the Sea is an in-universe comic strip

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Scholtz posted:

I wonder if Charlos looks like someone Oda knows in real life and he's giving them the Dante Aligheiri treatment.

I don't know about Charlos but IIRC Whitebeard was based on a real life bartender Oda used to know who was dying/died of some terminal disease.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MorningMoon posted:

I think a recent-ish SBS said there were no comics? But there are basically illustrated books, just more like one drawing next to a page of text.

Germa are famous because they're the bad guys in a comic strip distributed with the World Economic Times.

So at least newspaper comics exist, not sure about anything else :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Right, so ‘Croc was a woman’ theory comes from what the posters above describe. The ‘Croc is Luffy’s mom’ comes from the idea that Croc acts oddly during Marineford after it’s revealed that Luffy is Dragon’s son. He takes more risks to protect Luffy after that, like defending him from Akainu. Some claim Croc’s actions here are out of character… unless Croc just learned Luffy is his son

I actually didn't know the mom theory had actual quasi-evidence, I just assumed people were saying it because it'd be funny (it would)

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The impression I got from the "There are picture books but not really Comics" thing was that they're probably more like the comics from like the 1800s where speech bubbles weren't really a thing yet so it was mostly just illustrations with text at the bottom. So like, comics exist in the OP World but they don't just look like Shonen Jump.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Apparently speech bubbles explicitly do not exist in One Piece newspaper comics so it's probably like New Yorker cartoons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Funky Valentine posted:

Apparently speech bubbles explicitly do not exist in One Piece newspaper comics so it's probably like New Yorker cartoons.

Luffy would hate that poo poo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Makes me wonder what political cartoons are like in a world where the government can kill you for the slightest offense and there’s an entire group of people who are completely above the law

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

In chapter 1045 Kaido specifically describes Gear Fifth as “It’s like something from a comic strip” but the exact wording could be a translation thing because I remember the fanlation not explicitly saying comic strip.

Also Gear Fifth owns, can’t wait for it to be animated.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Drakkel posted:

The impression I got from the "There are picture books but not really Comics" thing was that they're probably more like the comics from like the 1800s where speech bubbles weren't really a thing yet so it was mostly just illustrations with text at the bottom. So like, comics exist in the OP World but they don't just look like Shonen Jump.

so you're saying in one piece they only have cover pages

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

There is definitely something going on because Crocodile's only previously declared interest was that he hated Whitebeard, so it's strange that he effectively joined the battle on Whitebeard's side (and there's no obvious reason he'd go to bat for the kid who put him in jail). It could just be that he has a strong link with Dragon though, we don't really know anything about either of their pasts.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Larryb posted:

Makes me wonder what political cartoons are like in a world where the government can kill you for the slightest offense and there’s an entire group of people who are completely above the law
They're mostly pictures of infamous pirates interacting with animals. You can't explicitly endorse their actions so you express your support in elaborate code

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

The One Piece world actually has somewhat more de facto press freedom than you give it credit for; we've seen that while Morgans twists the truth, he does it based on his own choices and doesn't let even CP0 strongarm him into writing something.

Also, I assume that in addition to global newspapers like the World Economic Times, there are other newspapers with a more regional focus. I'm sure there are East Blue newspapers with political cartoons about politicians from East Blue countries.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

There's a pirate with a 300 million bounty because they refuse to stop replacing the World Government's political cartoon captions with "Nika, what an rear end in a top hat" and slipping :bignews: a :20bux: to publish it.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

luchadornado posted:

- One Piece has a lot of similarities to Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky, which is a known thing I guess, but I just realized it after my kid was watching the movie

Mind elaborating on this? It's been really, really long since I've watched that

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

tbp posted:

Mind elaborating on this? It's been really, really long since I've watched that

Videos like this can do a way better job than I could. I just noticed it and went looking and found that lots of other people have spent way more time than I did thinking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8aUeauvURk

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

luchadornado posted:

Videos like this can do a way better job than I could. I just noticed it and went looking and found that lots of other people have spent way more time than I did thinking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8aUeauvURk
that video is super messy and honestly i see a lot of similarities, but it gave me the most obvious reaction: every single arc in one piece has a "time bomb." what if the destruction of the red line and in the final arc thats the island destroying weapon imu has being pointed at mary geoise because they know they'll lose to luffy? and because thats known, everyone allied to the ancient kingdom built poo poo to protect themselves from rising sea levels?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There is definitely something going on because Crocodile's only previously declared interest was that he hated Whitebeard, so it's strange that he effectively joined the battle on Whitebeard's side (and there's no obvious reason he'd go to bat for the kid who put him in jail). It could just be that he has a strong link with Dragon though, we don't really know anything about either of their pasts.

I mean his grudge against Whitebeard is that Whitebeard beat him up, like he did a lot of challengers, and Croc is very prideful and it rankles him and he wants revenge.

Which is why he Croc immediately guns for Whitebeard as soon as soon as the Impel Down gang reach Marineford.

But he also acknowledges Whitebeard's strength and presumably has some amount of begrudging respect for Whitebeard because Whitebeard is literally The Emperor. Like yeah there are 4 of them but Whitebeard was the original, the guy who could have become Pirate King if he wanted to. Pretty much every pirate in the world fears or respects Whitebeard, or both. Which is why he's shocked when it's revealed that Whitebeard's condition has deteriorated to the point where Squardo can stab him.

But Croc doesn't really like the Marines. Why would he? Pirates and Marines don't get along, plus Croc was fuckin' arrested and sent to Impel Down by them (never mind that he destabilized a kingdom and caused wanton civilian deaths indirectly by instigating a civil war). And by the time Croc decides to fight the Marines, Whitebeard's already pretty much half-dead and Ace is dead, the Marines have pretty much got this war in the bag. Croc doesn't like Luffy, but he doesn't want the Marines to keep getting Ws in the war. So he decides to help Luffy escape as a gently caress you to the Marines.

I feel like there doesn't really need to be big, deep reasons. Like, sure, there could be, but I never came off feeling like Croc was actin' out of character during the war. He and Mr. 2 were literally 2 vs everyone (Whitebeard Pirates, the other Warlords - namely Doffy and Mihawk, and the Marines). The only people Croc didn't fight during Marineford were his fellow Impel Down escapees, I think.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I mean, Crocodile explicitly said that he doesn't want to see the Marine got another "win" if they managed to kill Luffy, after the deaths of Whitebeard and Ace. That's a pretty good reason for him to defend Luffy.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I feel like there doesn't really need to be big, deep reasons. Like, sure, there could be, but I never came off feeling like Croc was actin' out of character during the war. He and Mr. 2 were literally 2 vs everyone (Whitebeard Pirates, the other Warlords - namely Doffy and Mihawk, and the Marines). The only people Croc didn't fight during Marineford were his fellow Impel Down escapees, I think.

You mean Mr. 1, since Mr. 2 sacrificed themselves back at Impel Down, but yeah it can be confusing.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Charlos pretty clearly dreams of enslaving a mermaid

And in normal circumstances, he would have achieved that twice over by now. It is, supposedly, deeply unusual for a Celestial Dragon to be denied like this (or assaulted, for that matter). See also: Kuma being rented out by the World Government. Possibly an established solution to there not being enough of something to satisfy all of the Celestial Dragons who desire it?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mraagvpeine posted:

You mean Mr. 1, since Mr. 2 sacrificed themselves back at Impel Down, but yeah it can be confusing.

Oh right yeah you are right.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Funky Valentine posted:

"Ace, I won't go after Teach...OR MAYBE I WILL BROTHER"

No sidebread for Squard

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 26, 2023

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
A random musing.

Sugar's powers stop working if she's rendered unconscious. So, did her fruit grant her the ability to also not have to sleep as well as the toy powers and the stopping of her aging? You'd think that Sugar having to sleep would be asked in a SBS or something.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Cornwind Evil posted:

A random musing.

Sugar's powers stop working if she's rendered unconscious. So, did her fruit grant her the ability to also not have to sleep as well as the toy powers and the stopping of her aging? You'd think that Sugar having to sleep would be asked in a SBS or something.

Falling asleep and getting knocked out/fainting are very different states, so her power only disables on the latter.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

And by the time Croc decides to fight the Marines, Whitebeard's already pretty much half-dead and Ace is dead, the Marines have pretty much got this war in the bag. Croc doesn't like Luffy, but he doesn't want the Marines to keep getting Ws in the war. So he decides to help Luffy escape as a gently caress you to the Marines.

Croc helps out before that. He saves Ace from being executed at one point. IIRC that's the point where he says "Whitebeard can wait, gently caress the Marines".

Another explanation for Crocs actions that I've seen is that Luffy helped rekindle his ambition and made him want to fight for something else again. But personally, I'm all in on Crocomom because it's the funniest explanation.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
i think it's more that crocodile gets blocked from a proper rematch with whitebeard and after the backstab he realizes that any win against him essentially now belongs to the marines and he wants to deny them that

hence his "you used to be stronger than this" meltdown

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wellwinds posted:

i think it's more that crocodile gets blocked from a proper rematch with whitebeard and after the backstab he realizes that any win against him essentially now belongs to the marines and he wants to deny them that

hence his "you used to be stronger than this" meltdown

I mean, in a proper rematch, even after Whitebeard was stabbed by Squard and taking into account Crocodile getting back in shape in prison, Crocodile would still clearly lose. So I’m not sure what Crocodile was trying to accomplish, exactly.

The best Crocodile could have hoped for was dealing the final blow on an already-mostly-dead Whitebeard the way Blackbeard ended up doing.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 26, 2023

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

this genre of OP post gives me life

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Silver2195 posted:

I mean, in a proper rematch, even after Whitebeard was stabbed by Squard and taking into account Crocodile getting back in shape in prison, Crocodile would still clearly lose. So I’m not sure what Crocodile was trying to accomplish, exactly.

The best Crocodile could have hoped for was dealing the final blow on an already-mostly-dead Whitebeard the way Blackbeard ended up doing.
Crocodile was trying to save his son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like Crocodile as a Kuja empress since we have a gap between Shaky and Hancock