Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i hope to God these are some real weird bot accounts and not, in fact, real honest to goodness DeSantis 2024 supporters (no idea why some generic list meme is showing up as Sensitive on the Twitter algo)

https://twitter.com/PopHemingway/status/1659716305740759042?t=8uSO5gGrQHTXVaYCtMfGTw&s=19

the NeverTrump thing is just... why is it even still a thing at this point?

"Yeah I'm a bigot and a brutal authoritarian who thinks poors should literally be murdered gangland style... but I'm the GOOD one:smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
In 2016, sockpuppet armies got Trump elected.

In 2023, they're causing a modest logistical challenge to inbev, who is profiting from the controversey even as they biff it.

It's not a zero day anymore.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Ted Cruz and Co have been on a "parties never switched!" kick for a while now
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1660995725298225152?t=-iWexDz9LCt1jiw9hiodNw&s=19

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1660995725298225152?t=-iWexDz9LCt1jiw9hiodNw&s=19

The Great Realignment and the Southern Strategy have been liberal "myths" for a few years now. And not in a "we ignore it when it suits us" kind of way. I distinctly recollect Candice Owens talking about how they never happened.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Golly Gee, I can't tell you what happened between 1964 and 1968.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't know why it crossed my mind today and I've mentioned it before but wtf on god's green earth ever became of Michael Moore?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Panfilo posted:

i hate that the top reply is musk. (also musk definately uses his admin god powers to creep on AOC)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know why it crossed my mind today and I've mentioned it before but wtf on god's green earth ever became of Michael Moore?

He has a podcast and substack.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BiggerBoat posted:

People are absolutely and intentionally ordering Miller Lite beers and eschewing Budweiser, often making jokes about it where they order a Bud Light first and then make a show of changing it to Miller just so everyone can hear it.
God drat. For once the chuds actually manage to successfully boycott a brand, only to… buy another brand from the same corporation. Good job guys.

Miller and Coors have replaced basically all of InBev’s lost Bud Light sales. They don’t give a gently caress. What a joke.

I don’t really like beer, and the older I get the less I like it; those beers are decent beers for if you don’t like beer. But I’ll just have a Jameson and a water, thanks.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Another investigation wrapped up with no wrongdoing found simply because the rightwing media wont shut up and needs 'whataboutism'.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1661166140079439873

https://twitter.com/RepSwalwell/status/1661128912611561473

Fake news of course, I give MTG a week or 2 before claiming it again.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

mojo1701a posted:

The Great Realignment and the Southern Strategy have been liberal "myths" for a few years now. And not in a "we ignore it when it suits us" kind of way. I distinctly recollect Candice Owens talking about how they never happened.

More than a few years. My entire lifetime they’ve been on the simultaneous “dems did slavery, dems did kkk, party of Lincoln” and also “the confederacy was good btw” train without a hint of reflection on the contradiction

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mellow Seas posted:

God drat. For once the chuds actually manage to successfully boycott a brand, only to… buy another brand from the same corporation. Good job guys.

Miller and Coors have replaced basically all of InBev’s lost Bud Light sales. They don’t give a gently caress. What a joke.

I don’t really like beer, and the older I get the less I like it; those beers are decent beers for if you don’t like beer. But I’ll just have a Jameson and a water, thanks.

Molson-Coors and InBev are two separate companies, though I have to agree probably neither of them give a significant poo poo about this particular nonsense.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It’ll be interesting in June when we hit Pride month in a week because pretty much everyone will be rolling out some pro-LGBTQ products or commercials, or at least they normally do. Will the chuds boycott everything?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

More than a few years. My entire lifetime they’ve been on the simultaneous “dems did slavery, dems did kkk, party of Lincoln” and also “the confederacy was good btw” train without a hint of reflection on the contradiction

Oh, absolutely. It just seems to me that they used to straight-up ignore it, and now are openly saying that it never happened. Might just be me.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Bird in a Blender posted:

It’ll be interesting in June when we hit Pride month in a week because pretty much everyone will be rolling out some pro-LGBTQ products or commercials, or at least they normally do. Will the chuds boycott everything?

how's everything going with the gay target clothes i wonder

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Having just left a target, there are still plenty of pride signs and rainbow clothes on display. I’m in Chicago though, so they might be doing it differently in the south.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
The Target we usually go to (Atlanta metro area) still had pride stuff out as of the last time we were there (last week) but both last year and this, they had markedly fewer things on display than I remember at the Targets near where I used to live in Orlando a couple years ago. Like, those Targets used to have buckets of beads and phone cases and dog leashes and sweatbands, etc. out in the "random cheap things" section at the store entrance in addition to the separate section with all the clothes and other bigger items (and they may not anymore because Florida but I'll never know because I'm not fuckin' going back there ever again) but in my current Target it's just one little section of clothes and a few bits and bobs tucked back next to sportswear/men's clothing.

(I'm still a little sad that the one year they had asexual flag sweatbands, we couldn't buy any because every time we tried, they were confiscated by the cashier because they were being recalled.)

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of target

https://apnews.com/article/target-pride-lgbtq-4bc9de6339f86748bcb8a453d7b9acf0

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

No backing down for CNN, they really need those ratings from the Fox leftovers.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1661420477066166273

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Tired: Get woke, go broke
Wired: Go right? Good night!

CNN's viewers flee network after that godawful Trump townhall thing

quote:

More than a week after CNN’s disastrous town hall with former President Donald Trump, the negative impact the fiasco had on the network’s ratings is coming into clearer focus. Last week, the cable news pioneer suffered its lowest-rated week since June 2015, averaging just 429,000 total daily viewers from Monday-Friday. CNN was also down double digits compared to the same week last year in both total viewership and in the key advertising demographic of viewers ages 25-54. MSNBC more than doubled CNN’s daily audience, drawing 976,000 total viewers, while Fox News averaged 1.4 million. Fox News was down 41 percent in the key demo year-to-year and 24 percent in total viewers, having seen its ratings plummet as angry right-wingers flee after Tucker Carlson’s shock firing. In fact, Fox’s post-Tucker weekday demo audience is the lowest it’s been since the first week of September 2001. Ratings data show that primetime is where both Fox and CNN are suffering the most. Since the town hall, CNN has seen several of its weeknight hours—including Anderson Cooper—fall behind Newsmax, the fringe-right channel that has surged since Carlson’s ouster. And on Friday night, the channel’s much-hyped interview show hosted by Chris Wallace averaged only 224,000 total viewers at 10 p.m., drawing 60,000 fewer viewers than Newsmax’s offering. While Fox News still led in both total and demo viewership in weeknight primetime last week, the conservative cable giant’s overall audience was down 38 percent and the demo viewership dropped an eye-popping 60 percent. MSNBC, on the other hand, saw its demo audience shoot up 44 percent.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/heres-how-bad-cnns-post-trump-town-hall-ratings-have-been

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
They don't care about money anymore, just propaganda.
Remember: it is always projection. When the fascists told you that Blackrock/Disney/the Jews don't care about profits and only care about demoralizing white men and spreading their agenda, they were telling you how they view media outlets. Zaslav wants money, sure, but I think parroting the Right's talking points are more important to him.

I don't think, regardless of how bad ratings get, that CNN is going to reverse course until management changes.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

mojo1701a posted:

Oh, absolutely. It just seems to me that they used to straight-up ignore it, and now are openly saying that it never happened. Might just be me.

The thing that happened over the last 6 years is that the right-wing echosphere has completely disconnected their audience from objective reality and anytime they allow even the slightest amount of reality into their bubble their audience punishes them.

Look at what happened to Fox News after they correctly called Arizona in 2020. Instant loss of market share to the outfits that maintained the fantasy. The same happened again after firing Tucker Carlson and the Dominion fallout.

It's something that actually gives me a little hope, the Right-wing echosphere has spent so much time effort and money telling the monstrous pieces of poo poo that make up their audience what they wanted to hear that any information that deviates is immediately rejected and the bearer of said new ejected and ostracized from the echosphere.

This is bad for the Fash whose primary source of strength is their solidarity. The Right always has an advantage in discipline because they are natural followers and it works really well for them when they're all on the same page.

When it was pretty much just Fox News, iHeart Media (formerly ClearChannel) Sinclair and a small number of closely coordinated organizations it was pretty easy to keep them on the same page. Now however with Russia and other foreign powers getting into the game, not to mention the near unlimited number of grifters in the Qnon movement it's going to get a lot harder for them to stay on the same page.

Plus because they only ever credit information that reinforces their preferred world view they are unable to course correct in order to adjust for new information since anyone who tries to bring attention to that information is immediately discredited.

They've underperformed 3 election cycles and I don't remember how many special elections since Trump took office and they just keep doubling down on the same unpopular ideas because they've convinced themselves that they really are winning.

They are a loud well financed minority, but they are a minority just the same. More importantly they are a shrinking minority and the more successful they are in enacting their insane ideas the smaller of a minority they become.

But in the end their real weakness is that if you only believe what you want to believe then you are hobbling your ability to react to actual bad news. If you don't believe the iceberg you are rapidly approaching actually exists then you can't course correct around it, which explains why they just keep doubling down on abortion bans which are unpopular even with Republicans.

All that said it also explains why these ridiculous counter-factuals are so common on the right because anyone who tries to correct them are immediately discounted as "fake news".

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The problem with seeing them underperform and being optimistic is that movements like this don't accept the losses and reform themselves. They see it as betrayal and corruption, "reform" the system until they start winning again, then use that power to attack the opposition.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

OgNar posted:

No backing down for CNN, they really need those ratings from the Fox leftovers.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1661420477066166273

Meh, this doesn't bother me too much. Problem is that nothing comes from it. I think that all the MAGA candidates really get out of it is being able to claim that they were picked on by the unfair MSM but, on its face, I don't have an issue with political candidates being given air time for stuff like this.

I didn't mind the Trump one either. But gently caress me if I'm gonna watch it.

It's all a straight up result of news being driven by advertising/ratings though and I don;t know how we fix that cince every god damned thing in the world is paid for a by a loving commercial.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I really don't get how people let the whole "The Southern Strategy was never a thing!" thing get any air. Kevin Phillips, a campaign strategist for Nixon in 1968, published a book in 1970, The Emerging Republican Majority, that literally discussed that they realised that the Democrats had outflanked them on civil rights, but that they could win the 1968 election by in stead focusing hard on white resentment in southern states. The book was about 25% him explaining the strategy, then 75% demographics research that they had based the strategy on.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skios posted:

I really don't get how people let the whole "The Southern Strategy was never a thing!" thing get any air. Kevin Phillips, a campaign strategist for Nixon in 1968, published a book in 1970, The Emerging Republican Majority, that literally discussed that they realised that the Democrats had outflanked them on civil rights, but that they could win the 1968 election by in stead focusing hard on white resentment in southern states. The book was about 25% him explaining the strategy, then 75% demographics research that they had based the strategy on.
Fake news. More Democrat lies. Did Soros pay you to say that?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/VaushV/status/1661496065609318400?t=6Cqnhu7yAbNnF3nHOOuqkA&s=19

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Elon fails to launch Desantis.
Whoda thunk it.

https://twitter.com/ChanelRion/status/1661497848314179585

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
It was great to head to twitter and see #DeSaster trending. That's a good sign for his campaign and for twitter right?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I'd also like to point out that he did his announcement from the Four Seasons hotel/resort in Miami.

Here is his actual recording (1h 7m) if anyone wants to listen.
At one point he actually states that no books have been banned in Florida.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1661498079386931206

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

OgNar posted:

I'd also like to point out that he did his announcement from the Four Seasons hotel/resort in Miami.

Yeah he has spent months lying about the book bans. Nobody's buying that poo poo because almost every day there is another story about something else getting banned down here.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

OgNar posted:

Even his link ends in JeB

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah he has spent months lying about the book bans. Nobody's buying that poo poo because almost every day there is another story about something else getting banned down here.

Well, this is one of those things that has to be dealt with carefully and honestly DeSantis's opposition is not handling it well. He is factually correct that no books have been banned in Florida, and it's not really arguable. What he very much has done is restrict access, in a very harsh way, to a great number of books -- de facto banning many children from reading them. But he and his supporters will argue the technicalities, and they will be quite correct at the end of the day. I think Democrats need to focus on substance and correctness -- what he's doing is absolutely vile, and you can attack it based on the fact that it's vile, without making it into something that it isn't and losing credibility.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Well, this is one of those things that has to be dealt with carefully and honestly DeSantis's opposition is not handling it well. He is factually correct that no books have been banned in Florida, and it's not really arguable. What he very much has done is restrict access, in a very harsh way, to a great number of books -- de facto banning many children from reading them. But he and his supporters will argue the technicalities, and they will be quite correct at the end of the day. I think Democrats need to focus on substance and correctness -- what he's doing is absolutely vile, and you can attack it based on the fact that it's vile, without making it into something that it isn't and losing credibility.

Alternatively, gently caress the fascists and gently caress their arguments. Call a spade a spade and don't engage with fascist lies and half truths. The books are banned. Speak the truth and gently caress their lies.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Alternatively, gently caress the fascists and gently caress their arguments. Call a spade a spade and don't engage with fascist lies and half truths. The books are banned. Speak the truth and gently caress their lies.

No, the books are not banned. Saying they're banned is the half-truth. I can state this without diminishing the heinousness of what Tiny Meatball Ron DeSantis and others are doing, because the factual reality of what they're doing is quite bad enough without exaggeration.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PT6A posted:

No, the books are not banned. Saying they're banned is the half-truth. I can state this without diminishing the heinousness of what Tiny Meatball Ron DeSantis and others are doing, because the factual reality of what they're doing is quite bad enough without exaggeration.

Will the books be in the library? Would a librarian be able to add the books to the library?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Will the books be in the library? Would a librarian be able to add the books to the library?

No, the books will not be in the library. It's horrible, and I'm not saying it's acceptable; what I'm saying is, the books aren't banned. It's not a criminal offense to possess the book, nor to provide it to someone. It's factually correct to say the books are not being banned; it's also factually correct to say that access to the books is being restricted in a very damaging way.

If you or I were to say the books are being banned, they have an easy out to say "well, that's not true, the books are available and you can buy them." If you say "the books are being restricted and it's a moral imperative that they, and all other books, be available from libraries at all levels" then you can actually attack the thing which they're factually doing and they have to argue about why they disagree.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm very thankful that someone is here to rules-lawyer for the fascists.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
That sounds like a book ban to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
A de facto ban is a ban and mincing words here is not needed.