Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Jiro posted:

One recommendation a friend of mine made while I was sussing out the finer details of my deck was pointing out that I could use the entire Lair cycle and that really helped as well since those come in untapped.

https://archidekt.com/decks/3269628/pa_pa_pa_pa_pa_painbow

Lairs are absolutely awful. They come in untapped but they set you back a land drop. Get them outta there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I like Raffine, Scheming Seer because you can just do whatever plan makes you happiest in the 99 and she'll make it work through sheer card selection.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Just got my Prof deckbox shipping email :yum:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Dizz posted:

What is the one edh counterpart that has good things like 80 card decks and also reserve list ban? i forget the name but im heavily considering just moving to that if theres a big community on it

It is conquest, you can spell table online pretty regularly there’s a good discord.

Most fetches and tutors are banned so you’re not endlessly shuffling and dumb cards that shouldn’t be banned aren’t.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

LeafHouse posted:

Lairs are absolutely awful. They come in untapped but they set you back a land drop. Get them outta there!

Eh, they work on a budget.

Johnny Truant posted:

Just got my Prof deckbox shipping email :yum:

Hey that's awesome, I was really surprised at the turnaround between that email and when it showed up.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

LeafHouse posted:

They tap for three colors and let you reuse etb utility lands, lairs own in the right deck

Edit: they also don't require a bounced untapped land, so you're still +1 mana on the turn you play it, just behind one on the next turn

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Silhouette posted:

They tap for three colors and let you reuse etb utility lands, lairs own in the right deck

Edit: they also don't require a bounced untapped land, so you're still +1 mana on the turn you play it, just behind one on the next turn

They can be fine in a landfall deck but they are setting you way back in this deck. 23/35 lands come in tapped or are lairs so I imagine you’ll often end up stuck returning tap lands. There are also a bunch of lands that CIPT unless you control 2 basics. This deck contains 0 basics.

I would expect that Karoos or the 3 color CIPT (Triomes or stuff like Nomad’s Outpost) would be way better.

The CIPT fetchlands also seem abysmal. Play it, wait a turn and crack it to get a typed dual that also comes in tapped so you’ve waited 2 turns to get the mana online?

- all the basic land checklands
- Some lairs
-CIPT Fetchlands

+Triomes or Tri-Tap Lands for a budget option
+Painlands
+ some Karoos
+Trinket Mage
+Archelos, Lagooon Mystic

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Lairs are some of the worst lands ever printed. They are almost never the correct choice over a basic, regardless of budget. Once you start slotting CiPT lands into your deck, they are just negative win percentage.

Also, the only ETB utility land worth considering at any point is probably Mystic Sanctuary, which explicitly plays horribly with Lairs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I could maybe put a lair in my Hazezon deck since it’s all about replaying my deserts. Not sure.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's the deal with this Commander event at shops on Saturday? Like somehow it ties into the MOM story and has things that happen based on game events?

All I know is I'll probably go just 'cause I want that Phyrexian Beast Within.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/718159296243859457/maros-the-lord-of-the-rings-teaser-before

E:

• two three-color and one four-color legendary creature to go along with the five-color one already previewed

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

quote:

Legendary Creature – Horse

Bill the Pony confirmed

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Batterypowered7 posted:

one four-color legendary creature

Saruman of Many Colors?

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.
• a mechanic returns that I had to fight tooth and nail to get into the set it premiered in

Guessing Entwine based on the wording here. Possible sub-joke referencing 'Ent' and 'wine' (wine could be a food token!).

• Legendary Creature – Bird Noble

That's gotta be Gwaihir the Windlord. I think.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I could maybe put a lair in my Hazezon deck since it’s all about replaying my deserts. Not sure.

Part of the problem is the way we use somewhat hyperbolic language. Lairs are fine if you deliberately want them for some reason, but probably 99% of the time they are a bad include. You can win the game with the bounce lands and setting up a loop, but they often include them in the precons, and people seem to obstinately refuse to not believe that WotC is putting terrible cards in the precons for no real reason.

I would not just throw a lair into your hazezon deck because you could theoretically replay a desert with it. If you have ways to play multiple lands per turn and stuff like that it could be okay, it also depends on how good your manabase is, are you using fetchlands, shock lands, abur dual proxies, land tutors, etc..

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is borbebybginas and thbgplth ever good in something? Seems like there are easier ways to get 2 damage to a target.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

Is borbebybginas and thbgplth ever good in something? Seems like there are easier ways to get 2 damage to a target.

It's a food chain outlet.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/718159296243859457/maros-the-lord-of-the-rings-teaser-before

E:

• two three-color and one four-color legendary creature to go along with the five-color one already previewed

I kinda wish/hope there are going to be legendary recognizable weapons outside of The One Ring, Narsil, Foe Hammer, The Elven Rings of Power, Grom as an artifact, a morgul blade, the bauble that held the Light of Ellendil, a Palantir, Thorin's sword whose name I forget.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Jiro posted:

Thorin's sword whose name I forget.

Orcrist, "Goblin Cleaver."

Silhouette posted:

Bill the Pony confirmed

Shadowfax is the other obvious one; I'd bet those both make the set. But there are a bevy of other horses who feature heavily in the books. Off the top of my head there's Asfaloth (Glorfindel's horse), Winfola (Eowyn's), Firefoot (Eomer's), Snowmane (Theoden's), Arod (given to Legolas by the Rohirrim), Hasufel (given to Aragorn by the Rohirrim), and of course the most important horse, Fatty Lumpkin (Tom Bombadil's).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jiro posted:

I kinda wish/hope there are going to be legendary recognizable weapons outside of The One Ring, Narsil, Foe Hammer, The Elven Rings of Power, Grom as an artifact, a morgul blade, the bauble that held the Light of Ellendil, a Palantir, Thorin's sword whose name I forget.

Do you mean in addition to the 9 things you listed, or you want legendary equipment that isn't any of those? Because 9 legendary equipment feels like a lot for one set already. Also, how could you not mention Sting, arguably the second-most iconic item from the entire series next to The One Ring.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

Orcrist, "Goblin Cleaver."

Shadowfax is the other obvious one; I'd bet those both make the set. But there are a bevy of other horses who feature heavily in the books. Off the top of my head there's Asfaloth (Glorfindel's horse), Winfola (Eowyn's), Firefoot (Eomer's), Snowmane (Theoden's), Arod (given to Legolas by the Rohirrim), Hasufel (given to Aragorn by the Rohirrim), and of course the most important horse, Fatty Lumpkin (Tom Bombadil's).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTNjmKZ9t3E

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Smaug being a token gives evidence to my guess that The Hobbit will be referenced, but The Lord of the Rings is the set's only focus. The Smaug token is probably made by a saga that's called "There and Back Again". Have to assume Smaug cares about treasure tokens.

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice

Dizz posted:

Think that was something else. dont think that guy ever recovered from that hijack. oh well.

E: yeah i think it was conquest.

Yes, you are describing Conquest. 80 card minimum deck, fetches and RL banned. Planeswalker commanders. Commander damage set to 12.

I really enjoy playing it and would jam sometime on spelltable or wherever. The Discord mainly plays on cockatrice which is nice for brewing and experimenting with new decks.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The LotR set feels like a stealth Commander product. Like someone thought, "Hey, you know how Commander cards are legal in Legacy? How about we do that with a straight to Modern set?"

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jobert posted:

The Discord mainly plays on cockatrice which is nice for brewing and experimenting with new decks.

Cockatrice still exists?? Holy shiiiit I remember trying that waaay back in the day when it had just blank colored cards with names and it looked like it dropped out of Visual Basic.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I'm honestly surprised more people don't use xmage. It has rules implementation so it'll handle phases, triggers, combat, etc, and people can host their own servers.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Xmage is pretty great! It didn't have Vhal in correctly so I couldn't go infinite, so instead I just made her a triple digit chunky attacker lol

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I do get that the "official" servers blow rear end in terms of stability, though, lol.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

LifeLynx posted:

Smaug being a token gives evidence to my guess that The Hobbit will be referenced, but The Lord of the Rings is the set's only focus. The Smaug token is probably made by a saga that's called "There and Back Again". Have to assume Smaug cares about treasure tokens.

I hope they get real meta and there's a legendary artifact called The Red Book of Westmarch that tutors up sagas

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's going to be fun running a red deck with the Balrog and include the two other 'we have Balrog's at home' cards we've gotten in the last year.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Randalor posted:

Do you mean in addition to the 9 things you listed, or you want legendary equipment that isn't any of those? Because 9 legendary equipment feels like a lot for one set already. Also, how could you not mention Sting, arguably the second-most iconic item from the entire series next to The One Ring.

Because I assume Sting is going to be in it since it's so iconic as opposed to the others I mentioned. And I was naming off possible equipment in Grom's case a vehicle that could destroy Gates.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Batterypowered7 posted:

The LotR set feels like a stealth Commander product. Like someone thought, "Hey, you know how Commander cards are legal in Legacy? How about we do that with a straight to Modern set?"

It's possible early in design it was basically the same as Baldur's Gate, but then people got really mad that set was labeled as being for commander but not stuffed full of expensive commander reprints, so they rebranded it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Batterypowered7 posted:

The LotR set feels like a stealth Commander product.

Universes Beyond basically is an excuse to have new commanders, in general.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

LotR Commander deck face commanders:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

LotR Commander deck face commanders:

Huh, I would have figured Galadriel to be GW not Simic.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Jiro posted:

Huh, I would have figured Galadriel to be GW not Simic.

Not many Simic or blue elves. I'm stoked.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Looking at a new format (Oathbreaker) and seeing a bunch of sick cards and then remembering I'm reading the banned list. :smith:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I hate that I'm the target audience and want to just buy them all.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Looking at a new format (Oathbreaker) and seeing a bunch of sick cards and then remembering I'm reading the banned list. :smith:

Just run Professor Onyx w/Chain of Smog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Silhouette posted:

Just run Professor Onyx w/Chain of Smog

Or Narset with Windfall

(It's very funny that Oathbreaker bans Tooth & Nail for potentially being a one-card combo when the format rules allow for 0-card combos)