Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gyges posted:

All the recent poo poo against gay and trans people seems to not be a signifier of changing sentiments in the population, but rather the assholes being unable to shut the gently caress up anymore. Sort of like how Trump didn't make racists spring into existence, he made them feel like it was once again socially acceptable to be shitheads. It seems like it's the dying gasps of the religious right after most people thought we'd won so they took their eye off the ball.

Fox News did polling last month that seems to bear out this being a minority of assholes. A lot like that school board in Colorado, where a group of loons ran as Republicans and then went totally batshit. The leopards seem to be eating faces in such a way that it's even turning off the people who vote for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party who still have their own face intact.

Lindsey Graham may be right about Trump, but it seems that the price is first making America's absolute worst people believe that they are once again ascendant, and the '50s are coming back.

Part of it is also that the right-wing propagandists are getting bolder about spreading wildly false claims that are carefully calibrated to absolutely enrage anyone who doesn't realize they're completely nonsensical.

For example, right-wing media is currently abuzz with claims that Target is partnering with Satanists to sell tuck-friendly swimsuits to infants as part of the CEO's mission to reform society through "woke capitalism".

Every part of that narrative is bullshit, of course. For instance, the "satanism" claims are based on the fact that Target carries clothes from a designer that made a "Satan Respects Pronouns" T-shirt. But anyone who's primed to actually believe those claims is also the type of person to get absolutely batshit furious about it.

Calling this the "dying gasps of the religious right", though, misses the mark. Particularly when it comes to transphobia, plenty of people outside those circles have shown a distinct receptiveness to transphobic narratives. For example, center-left outlets like the New York Times have run a number of trans-unfriendly articles, particularly focusing on sympathetic perspective endorsing the complaints of transphobic parents of school-aged trans children. That's what really makes this so dangerous. The openly hateful anti-trans lobby is the biggest threat, but they're able to operate relatively freely because of the much larger moderate cohort that criticizes their approach but sympathizes with their concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

I do want to note that there is sometimes value in making material harder to learn than necessary, so long as its done correctly. Often times the material is an excuse, a medium, moreso than the actual learning goal, or there are parallel learning goals, where learning something the easy way would be counterproductive because it would mean you are only learning the material and not those other skills. I think it's worth pointing out because it seems to be a common and negative side effect of poorly thought out reforms, a focus on learning the material in the syllabus as quickly and easily as possible and not the actual skills the material is in the syllabus to help you develop.

This doesn't actually apply to reading, though, in any respect I've been made aware of, just wanted to say that in general 'making things easier is good' is not really true.

In that case, though, the goal isn't really to learn 'x' but to use 'x' to make 'y' more approachable, and thus easier to learn. The issue comes up when 'x' is taught in grade n and 'y' is taught in grade n+1, and the grade n teachers are only judged on learning 'x'. That doesn't mean the goal isn't to make learning as easy as possible, just that the metrics are assessing the wrong thing.

You always have to consider long term goals holistically, and when you do that, it's pretty much always a true statement.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 24, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

KillHour posted:

You always have to consider long term goals holistically, and when you do that, it's pretty much always a true statement.

Yeah that was mostly just an attempt to remind people for the purpose of discussion that they should be doing that because, well... most people, including the ones who make big important education systems, don't seem to actually do that all that much.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Professor Beetus posted:

I wish people would stop saying this poo poo

I would really like to know what base that claim even has anyway. Wouldn't an idealogy in its dying gasps be fading, not stronger than it's ever been in my conscious lifetime and having utterly terrifying ramifications? If fascist and bigoted ideologies are fading so much, why are they so prominent and why are they succeeding despite opposition?

poo poo's scary as hell right now. It's always been messed up but it feels like, since 2016, nothing makes any sense anymore.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Framboise posted:

I would really like to know what base that claim even has anyway. Wouldn't an idealogy in its dying gasps be fading, not stronger than it's ever been in my conscious lifetime and having utterly terrifying ramifications? If fascist and bigoted ideologies are fading so much, why are they so prominent and why are they succeeding despite opposition?

poo poo's scary as hell right now. It's always been messed up but it feels like, since 2016, nothing makes any sense anymore.

I think the idea is something along the lines of "They've got their back against the wall and what's going on now is just some desperation flailing and wild swinging. Sure, they may get a few shots in, but we all know they're not winning this one."

Which is depressingly false, much as we'd like to believe otherwise.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Automata 10 Pack posted:

About the ramifications of the Bud Light boycott.

https://twitter.com/esqueer_/status/1661158520170086400?s=46

Can we admit this was something yet?

It's a symptom of a larger problem but not the problem itself. I'm not sure what you want me to admit since it just proves my point that corporations are craven opportunists who will throw away all their ostentatious but shallow displays of support for LGBT people if they threaten shareholder value.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The analogy I've seen is more like an extinction burst - when a behaviour is dying, there will be a cluster of final extreme attempts for it to survive, and if it succeed even once it will come back reinforced and stronger than ever.

In this case though I don't think that's accurate either.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All that means is that they're not a majority anymore, which just means it behooves them to seize every avenue of power available to them rather than rely on cultural momentum and pressure to enforce their beliefs.

The 'dying gasp' narrative just makes people think they can win by sitting back and doing nothing. They cannot.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Framboise posted:

Most famously, the Civil War was the dying gasp of chattel slavery. It happened when slave owners realized that they would never again have the same political or economic control over the country that they once did and that future growth was going to leave them behind so they had to grasp whatever power they could while they still had the strength left to do so. And the actual rebellion itself came on on the heels of years of increasing political manipulation and gaming the system by slavers as they (temporarily) compensated for growing industrialization, immigration, and abolitionism that made their opposition stronger.

Given what happened then, and how incomplete their defeat was, it would be reasonable to be scared by rich, well-armed fascists seeing the same sort of countdown the slavers did. Most people seem to grasp that reasonably well: the idea that fascism is a dying ideology seems to mostly be used by people calling to hold fast and strike back, as an argument against despairing calls that Andrew Tate has controlled the minds of the zoomers and the children are full fash or whatever.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The 'dying gasp' narrative just makes people think they can win by sitting back and doing nothing. They cannot.

Killer robot posted:

Most famously, the Civil War was the dying gasp of chattel slavery. ... Given what happened then, and how incomplete their defeat was, it would be reasonable to be scared by rich, well-armed fascists seeing the same sort of countdown the slavers did.

Yeah, "This is a dying ideology" or "This is a dying party" is a ... factual statement, especially profound when it comes to generational demographics (Any generation below the baby boomers is majority opposed to the right wing, and gen z is both remarkably hostile to them by wide margin and has voter engagement greatly exceeding previous generations at similar ages) and regional demographics (I'm not even sure republicans still have a mayor in any single american city with a population a bit over a million)

But it should be treated with the same caution and very clear caveats as "This is a dying star, in its last gasps!" - you don't want to suggest to people any sort of implied harmlessness or inevitability. conservative or authoritarian political or popular bases do NOT become less dangerous as their traditional means to holding power begin to evaporate around them.

The party as a whole has mostly woken up to the fact that they have to subvert democracy to survive, and they're showing every indication that they plan to follow that trend as far as they can, and they have seriously powerful tools for antidemocratic minority rulership lockdown through systems like the Senate and the Electoral College.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Authoritarian regimes around the globe have done exactly what is happening in America multiple times in the last decades. They support democratic outcomes as long as they win. If they start losing, they dismantle democracy until they win again.

Like gerrymandering.

Or voter suppression.

Or capture of media apparatus turning them into outright propaganda.

Or threats of/acts of violence and intimidation at the polls and poll workers.

Or re-writing the political structure to remove power from the winning faction.

Or restructuring the judicial system to cement power outside of elections.

Would be really concerning if we lived in a country where those things were happening on the regular, as well as accelerating in frequency and intensity. Thinking the Republican party is a "dying" party correctly identifies that it is not majority popular, while completely ignoring historical precedent that it doesn't need to be. This playbook has been written before and we're going through the exact same steps. It's going to get worse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You do get the occasional funny one like Bolivia where a popular leftist government gets couped and the genocidal fascists forget to properly rig the next election, so they get blown out by the same government and locked up, with nothing to do but whine and eat takeout in their prison cells.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You do get the occasional funny one like Bolivia where a popular leftist government gets couped and the genocidal fascists forget to properly rig the next election, so they get blown out by the same government and locked up, with nothing to do but whine and eat takeout in their prison cells.
Those were very stupid fascists, even by fascist standards. They never would have got where they did with out the US/OAS.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
We're at roughly 4 days before there needs to be some action on the debt ceiling (when factoring in the 72-hour delay in the House) and, for the first time in decades, some corporate bonds are now trading at a yield discount to treasuries bonds. That means that so many people are pulling their money out of treasuries and taking a hit to their yield to put the money in corporate bonds because they think Microsoft will pay its debts, but the U.S. government might not.

The worst part of a default is all the people failing to get paid, which could snowball into multiple SVB bank collapses where companies and banks who were heavily invested in treasuries because they were safe are unable to make payments, which would set off another chain reaction of businesses and employees who depend on those banks and businesses not getting paid.

The second worst thing is the part of treasuries that make them so desirable for everyone in the world (the trust and confidence that this is such a guaranteed investment and there is a 100% you will get paid back the interest you were promised, even over 30 years, that you are willing to loan money to the U.S. at extremely low rates because it is your "safe spot") going away. That will lead to a lot of uncertainty and lower returns for everyone else and more expensive debt for the U.S.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/debt-ceiling-fight-sends-investors-hunting-for-new-havens-45ea55e6

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Aren't the business types leaning on the republican leaders about now normally?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alctel posted:

They have been doing the opposite

The Chamber of Commerce sent out a letter not that long ago basically saying that the WH needs to cave

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

FlamingLiberal posted:

They have been doing the opposite

The Chamber of Commerce sent out a letter not that long ago basically saying that the WH needs to cave
The Chamber of Commerce continues to be a cabal of cackling villains.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The CoC is 100% just a GOP partisan outfit these days so it didn’t really shock me

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Alctel posted:

The way I understand it it's the Freedom Caucus that are the real hostage takers and McCarthy and the business friendly Republicans want a deal done.

Just another instance of the falcon no longer hearing the falconer. The new generation doesn't understand that the kayfabe was supposed to be in service of business interest and not something you literally believe and act on.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

The way I understand it it's the Freedom Caucus that are the real hostage takers and McCarthy and the business friendly Republicans want a deal done.

Just another instance of the falcon no longer hearing the falconer. The new generation doesn't understand that the kayfabe was supposed to be in service of business interest and not something you literally believe and act on.

Also McCarthy put himself in a position where he can't use the Democrats to get him over the finish line lest he removed as speaker.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Debt ceiling talks have collapsed and there are currently no plans to restart them.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1661382932303429642

There are also finally some details on the talks. The big hold ups seem to be:

1) Biden is offering a spending freeze for two years, but only at FY23 levels. Because so much covid aid is going to expire and FY23 was an exceptionally high spending year, this would still allow for them to increase discretionary funding because the covid money would be going away regardless and you can fill those holes with new money while still maintaining the "old" top level spending totals. It may lead to small overall cuts in FY24 if it isn't indexed to inflation.

The Republicans know that this "freeze" actually lets them spend more discretionary money, so they are obviously against it and not falling for it.

quote:

McCarthy reiterated that Republicans want to spend less than the country spent in 2023. Asked how much less, he said, "That’s part of the negotiating. Democrats don’t even want to spend less, they want to spend more."

McCarthy wants spending levels at FY21 as a baseline + cuts to that baseline that would effectively be about a 12% cut form current levels. About half of the amount in the House bill they already passed.

2) Biden is willing to give McCarthy even more budget cuts ($100 billion per year for the next 10 years, totaling $1 trillion over a decade), but he wants them to be paired with revenue increases and something else he can tout as a win to be added to the deal - specifically expanding on the IRA provision that allowed Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices to allow them to negotiate larger discounts and for a larger amount of drugs.

House Republicans are saying that Biden doesn't have leverage to demand policy changes that he wants, so McCarthy should not give him any because it will just lose Republican votes and get them bogged down in negotiating over things other than spending levels. They have also ruled out anything that would involve revenue increases. So, McCarthy has rejected it.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1661052281867968513

Not clear what the path forward is right now, but the only options are:

A) Short-term debt ceiling extension (McCarthy has ruled out, but several moderate Republicans have said they are sticking with McCarthy as long as they think a deal is in sight. Afterwards, they might be open to other options to buy time or delay).

B) Some kind of deal being constructed and agreed upon without negotiations.

C) A brief default followed by some kind of emergency measures (14th amendment and Treasury holding back payments to the U.S. government to pay out others) and litigation.

They have about 4 days left to get a vote on something and the Senate is going on recess for Memorial day next week.

It still seems hard to believe that we would actually default and resort to emergency measures/short-term economic chaos/Supreme Court. I think the most likely scenario is both sides cave a little and take a bad deal (that is still a win for Republicans) where they don't specify what is going to be cut and just kick that can down the road until September where they will have to fight over that. Either that or some moderate Republicans break for a short-term extension to avoid default, but still keep the hostage negotiations going.

If they (somehow) end up basing any projections on FY23, then that would be a huge loss for the Republicans, which is why it almost certainly won't happen. That means any potential deal is really going to be about the specifics and in the grand scheme of things, any deal - even a relatively good one - is still a victory for Republicans using the debt ceiling as leverage.

quote:

WASHINGTON — Negotiations over how to address the debt limit to avoid a catastrophic default have hit a "speed bump," a Democratic official familiar with the talks told NBC News on Wednesday.

After days of citing "productive" negotiations, the tone in Washington appeared to shift Tuesday after the negotiators disbanded at 1 p.m. ET with no plans for further talks or meetings between the leaders.

The Democratic official argued that President Joe Biden has "negotiated in good faith" on the nation's budget but said that House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., has "bowed to MAGA extremists who want no compromise." The source said far-right House Republicans are pressuring McCarthy not to budge.

Biden is "willing to meet the speaker halfway," according to the official, who said that Biden has offered three items to Republicans: a spending freeze that cuts spending by more than $1 trillion over a decade, rescinding unspent Covid relief funds and a two-year cap on spending.

For his part, McCarthy arrived at the Capitol on Wednesday saying, "We'll get together this morning" when asked whether there would be negotiations during the day. The speaker said he hasn't spoken, however, to Biden since Monday and is talking to the White House's negotiating team.

McCarthy reiterated that Republicans want to spend less than the country spent in 2023. Asked how much less, he said, "That’s part of the negotiating. Democrats don’t even want to spend less, they want to spend more."

He has rejected a spending freeze at 2023 levels even though it would amount to a real dollar cut when adjusted for inflation.

The status of the talks from the White House’s perspective reflected McCarthy’s comments Tuesday when he said that they weren’t close to a deal on the debt ceiling.

“We’re not there yet,” he told reporters after huddling behind closed doors with rank-and-file House Republicans, adding that the two sides could still strike an agreement by June 1.

McCarthy had said that his meeting with Biden at the White House on Monday was "productive" but suggested that the major hurdle remained a disagreement over federal spending levels. Democrats have said they'd support freezing spending at current levels. House Republicans, however, want to cut spending to the level that was approved in 2021.

The GOP leader is under pressure from rank-and-file House Republicans not to give in to the White House.

On Wednesday, Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, circulated a memo to his GOP colleagues with talking points on the debt ceiling. It urges Republicans to give McCarthy "the strongest hand" by making clear that the conference is "unified to hold the line" and "messaging the specific purposes behind the Limit, Save, Grow Act," the GOP-sponsored legislation to address the debt limit that passed the House.

Roy sought to address criticism from Democrats by laying out possible responses. For example, on the criticism that work requirements "are draconian and uncompassionate reforms," Roy suggested responding with, "Our reforms are based on the 1996 welfare reforms that then-Senator Biden supported under President Clinton."

On Tuesday, Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., told Semafor that the ability of one Republican to motion to remove the House speaker "has given us the best version of Speaker McCarthy." He added, "I think my conservative colleagues for the most part support Limit, Save, Grow, and they don’t feel like we should negotiate with our hostage."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 24, 2023

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Alctel posted:

This worked in pre completely nihilist GOP times.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I just don’t see a reason for the GOP to back down. They already have Biden making concessions. If they don’t think he’s going to invoke the 14th then they can just wait. They also have no problem going over the cliff because they think it’s win-win for them in the end.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just don’t see a reason for the GOP to back down. They already have Biden making concessions. If they don’t think he’s going to invoke the 14th then they can just wait. They also have no problem going over the cliff because they think it’s win-win for them in the end.

I mean, Biden's "concession" is to keep spending level or increase taxes and the Republicans don't want either and at some point. I don't what more they can want at this point.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Every day the desire to mint the coin becomes more and more sincere

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean, Biden's "concession" is to keep spending level or increase taxes and the Republicans don't want either and at some point. I don't what more they can want at this point.
Even more cuts. The threats to invoke the 14th aren't credible, especially because the Dems have always blinked in the past.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

is pepsi ok posted:

Just another instance of the falcon no longer hearing the falconer.

oh thanks for another metaphor synonym to add to my toolset, i've been using koolaid flavoraid or inmates running the place. or a few others.

also I like how the falcons here also includes some billionaires themselves like musk.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

They want much bigger cuts

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Dianne Feinstein's staff are going to ever-increasing lengths to keep up the appearance that she's functional in her job, according to the LA Times:

quote:

Since her recent return, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and her staff have used every trick in the book to stay out of sight and at a distance from the press.

In committee meetings, her public remarks have been limited and she is always surrounded by staff. They also often form a human barrier between her and the press corps, with one staffer pushing her wheelchair while others shout at photographers to move out of the way.

One member of this protective bubble is Nancy Corinne Prowda, Rep. Nancy Pelosi’s eldest daughter, who was first observed by the San Francisco Chronicle’s Shira Stein. Since Feinstein returned to Washington, I’ve found myself regularly watching as Prowda runs interference and shields the senator from reporters, sometimes placing herself between them.

This drive to protect the senator isn’t entirely new. Rolling Stone reported that in recent years, Feinstein’s office has implemented a system to prevent the senator from ever walking around the Capitol on her own.

It didn’t always work.

Once, in 2021, I came across Feinstein leaving a hearing alone. I briefly chatted with her, asking her how she was doing.

“You again,” she said to me with a smile.

She stopped in the hallway and looked in each direction. She walked down the hall, paused, turned around and went in the opposite direction. A staffer soon ran out of the committee room and down the hall after the senator.

Her staff’s efforts to protect the former San Francisco mayor from scrutiny have intensified since her return, and ratcheted up further after my colleague Benjamin Oreskes caught up with Feinstein on her way back from a vote. During that conversation, she appeared to not recall she’d been absent from Congress for months due to her illness.

These days, the senator is escorted on paths to and from the Senate chamber, where cameras aren’t allowed. Politico reported that her office requested that the Capitol Hill security apparatus keep the press as far from her as possible.

For two days in a row last week, the Senate sergeant-at-arms office has said her arrival at the Capitol “is closed press,” shutting doors and using the Capitol police to chase journalists out of hallways and public spaces. This unprecedented act of restricting press freedom only raises more questions.

I photographed the senator as a staff member tried to hide her wheelchair behind a pillar at a low-profile exit last week. A Capitol Police officer shouted at me to move back — despite already being 30 feet away from the senator. Feinstein waved as she was escorted to a waiting vehicle.

The following day, May 18, the senator arrived at the same entrance for a vote on the floor of the Senate.

The Senate sergeant-at-arms’ office told members of the press they couldn’t document it. We were standing on a patch of grass on the Capitol Plaza that is open to the public. Feinstein declined to answer any questions.

Feinstein’s office denied that it was intentionally hiding her from the press.

“Our office has not asked photographers to not take pictures of her in her wheelchair,” Feinstein spokesman Adam Russell said in a statement to The Times. “We did ask, and continue to ask for safety reasons, that photographers and reporters give her space, particularly when entering and exiting her vehicle.”

I can't imagine she'll be in much better shape after the Senate's 5-week summer break from the end of July into September. That would seem to be an ideal time for her to resign & allow Newsom to appoint a replacement or at least a placeholder like Boxer for the following 15-18 months.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Specifically, their "red lines" are:

- No clean debt ceiling bill.
- Any spending caps must be longer than 2 years.
- No revenue increases.
- No cuts to defense spending, Social Security, or Medicare.
- Work requirements for Medicaid and SNAP.
- Actual spending has to be cut. No accounting gimmicks where the cut is not indexing to inflation or using FY23 figures where you can actually spend more money on discretionary programs because of budget wonkery. The exact amount they will accept is variable.

A lot of this seems to be posturing for negotiations, because even the worst imaginable cave by Biden possible that would get support in the Senate wouldn't include all of those "red lines" and if they are truly a red line, then it means you won't accept it.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Zamujasa posted:

what was that poo poo about elon from some poo poo newspaper? "his politics are just so mysterious" or whatever

The line from the Paper of Record™ is that his politics are "inscrutable" and this after he had announced his support of DeSantis and endorsed Republicans in the midterm and restored all the white supremacist twitter accounts.

Musk has always been this but prior to 2022 he did make an effort to appear to appeal more to the liberals who were buying up his cars. He claims to have voted for Obama, Clinton, and Biden and his political donations have always been mixed (and clearly just determined by his business interests).

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also playing fiscal cliff chicken with a side that won't blink (because they're stupid enough to think its a good idea to destroy the US and Global economy just to own the libs) is, unfortunately, a losing proposition.

Also McCarthy is solely focused on remaining speaker so he dare not do anything that makes the sedition caucus try to replace him.

Frankly I don't see a way out of this without a concession of some kind because one side is not negotiating in good faith, as usual.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Angry_Ed posted:

Also playing fiscal cliff chicken with a side that won't blink (because they're stupid enough to think its a good idea to destroy the US and Global economy just to own the libs) is, unfortunately, a losing proposition.

Also McCarthy is solely focused on remaining speaker so he dare not do anything that makes the sedition caucus try to replace him.

Frankly I don't see a way out of this without a concession of some kind because one side is not negotiating in good faith, as usual.

Tell the terrorists you won't negotiate and they can go gently caress themselves sideways, put the 14th amendment before the courts and dare them to detonate the global economy. That pack of ghouls is the closest thing we have left to people who understand the Republican long con which is a really loving dire state of affairs, but house/senate Republicans have proven over and over for decades now they're not participating in the system of governance anymore. Every concession these lunatics get is confirmation that they can get more next time by doing the same thing, only harder.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Tell the terrorists you won't negotiate and they can go gently caress themselves sideways, put the 14th amendment before the courts and dare them to detonate the global economy. That pack of ghouls is the closest thing we have left to people who understand the Republican long con which is a really loving dire state of affairs, but house/senate Republicans have proven over and over for decades now they're not participating in the system of governance anymore. Every concession these lunatics get is confirmation that they can get more next time by doing the same thing, only harder.
This is all correct but the Biden people are too cowardly to do it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Cry for the coin that never was

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is all correct but the Biden people are too cowardly to do it

I dunno, I don't take the Biden administration for a group of political masterminds, but sitting down with McCarthy only for McCarthy to make a loud show of walking away is pretty much the outcome they could have hoped for while on the precipice of a crisis that McCarthy demanded.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Dianne Feinstein's staff are going to ever-increasing lengths to keep up the appearance that she's functional in her job, according to the LA Times:

I can't imagine she'll be in much better shape after the Senate's 5-week summer break from the end of July into September. That would seem to be an ideal time for her to resign & allow Newsom to appoint a replacement or at least a placeholder like Boxer for the following 15-18 months.

Let's be honest, her resigning is putting the staffers that control her out of a job and lose power. So that's probably not going to happen. They're not going to stop until they are forced to stop.

It's probably legitimate elder abuse at this point.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Let's be honest, her resigning is putting the staffers that control her out of a job and lose power. So that's probably not going to happen. They're not going to stop until they are forced to stop.

That, and hasn't she herself said (during her lucid moments) that they'd pretty much have to pry the job out of her cold dead hands?

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Cry for the coin that never was

I want my Trillion Trump bux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It’s 100% abuse. She clearly hasn’t been competent to do this job for some time and everyone around her knows this. She’s not able to make those kinds of decisions.