Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mescal posted:

Has anybody tried the GOG version of Baldurs Gate III on deck? Does it work well? How about Death Stranding on Epic?

Death stranding without the precompiled shaders from steam is pretty rough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I'm hoping Diablo 4 works well on the deck.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The beta did apparently so who knows

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
That's what I read but I'm staying skeptical

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Oscar Wild posted:

I'm hoping Diablo 4 works well on the deck.

the Beta ran fine for me

Oscar Wild posted:

thats what I experienced AND Im staying skeptical

D2R tho is pretty great usually always

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I played the beta fine. WoW and D2R work fine on the deck too (in linux even).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oscar Wild posted:

*Dos Equis guy voice* stay skeptical, my friends

rosenritter
Feb 22, 2014
I'm thinking of replaying Dragon Age 2, or maybe even playing Mass Effect for the first time. Is this EA launcher stuff as big of a pain in the rear end as it seems?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rosenritter posted:

I'm thinking of replaying Dragon Age 2, or maybe even playing Mass Effect for the first time. Is this EA launcher stuff as big of a pain in the rear end as it seems?

yes apparently currently so

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Its basically a coin flip whether any given EA game will work on Deck because of the launcher on any given day.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

rosenritter posted:

FWIW, the standalone version of ME1 on
steam has none of that chicanery and is better than the legendary edition (which slightly changed the UI and heavily nerfed the difficulty). Can't vouch for any of the other ones (though I'm not sure 3/Andromeda are even worth playing).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

DildenAnders posted:

FWIW, the standalone version of ME1 on
steam has none of that chicanery and is better than the legendary edition (which slightly changed the UI and heavily nerfed the difficulty). Can't vouch for any of the other ones (though I'm not sure 3/Andromeda are even worth playing).

This is one of the hottest takes.

ME1 LE fixes so much that was wrong with the gameplay, animations, loading times, etc that it's actually the only game of the three where it's an unquestionable argument to play that version instead of the original. The one missing DLC was terrible.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Theres about a good 8 to 10 feet between my Dock and my couch. Is there any particular wireless keyboard and mouse I should use, so should I stick to wired?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How do they fix the gameplay, only thing I can think of would be removing all the godawful shooting segments but seems like wishful thinking.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

How do they fix the gameplay, only thing I can think of would be removing all the godawful shooting segments but seems like wishful thinking.

Sounds like someone didn't figure out how to make the Doom shotgun

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Didn't one of the classes have magic powers? I will do anything else before being forced to use a gun. The intro of Control took me a long time and I did it twice thinking I messed up the option not to pick up the obviously cursed gun.

So if Mass Effect 1 had the psionic powers I probably used those most, followed by whatever weapon required the least shots and aiming to get through it. Fortunately I think some sections at least let you just run through and hit the next scene trigger without fighting but they still did too many forced arenas.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There's a massive list of changes for ME1 in the remaster, but the basic gist of it for combat is that they made the guns accurate from the start, instead of weapon spread being tied to your skills. Also, you can actually use the guns your class isn't trained in.
In OG ME1, you had to carry all four types of guns, but unless you were playing as Soldier, you could only put points into one or two of them, you could pull out and shoot untrained guns, but you couldn't look down the sights on them, so the accuracy was even worse. Yes, you were forced to carry a sniper rifle, but literally couldn't look down the scope if you didn't have the sniper skill.

In the ME1 remaster, all guns have have decent accuracy (which is based on the stats of the gun itself, not your skills), and you can look down the sights for them.
Your character skills make the guns do more damage, and govern the special power for that gun type. If you're not trained in that gun, you get the base damage of the equipped gun and no special power.

There were a lot of changes to ME1, 2 & 3 mostly got the DLC packed in and some visual changes.
https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_Legendary_Edition/Changes_from_the_Original_Mass_Effect_Trilogy#Original_

ME1 is missing a DLC, because it wasn't made by Bioware and the company that made it lost the code, so they weren't able to port it.
But that DLC was poo poo, so who cares?

Veotax fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 24, 2023

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
That was one of the worst DLC ever made, however some of the glitchy gear you can get from it is pretty cool (like beta versions of the Geth Pulse rifle that shoot fast and can be upgraded).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

FuzzySlippers posted:

Lately my deck keeps turning on the gamescope fps meter thing randomly. It's still listed as off in the overlay menu and if I turn it on and back off it still won't go away. It stays on as I start different games and the only way I can get it to go away is reboot. Really annoying
I've had that couple times.

I don't think i'm on beta updates atm.

I swear i read somewhere it was related to the trackpads, i had it trigger when i was reaching for the Steam button and accidentaly mashed the left trackpad at the same time. Had to turn it on, off then reboot to get it to clear.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

wizard2 posted:

Theres about a good 8 to 10 feet between my Dock and my couch. Is there any particular wireless keyboard and mouse I should use, so should I stick to wired?

I'm using a cheap Logitech wireless with about the same gap but it's just for crusader kings. It's a little bad but not entirely unusable.

Edit: this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079JLY5M5?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 24, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

wizard2 posted:

If you're just going to use it to play movies and an odd text input, go with
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/keyboards/k400-plus-touchpad-keyboard.920-007119.html

But if you're planning to use it to play games or type more often go with a better quality bluetooth keyboard and mouse or a dongle one. Long range cables are a bad idea for anything that's gonna be moved.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Vic posted:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/keyboards/k400-plus-touchpad-keyboard.920-007119.html

But if you're planning to use it to play games or type more often go with a better quality bluetooth keyboard and mouse or a dongle one. Long range cables are a bad idea for anything that's gonna be moved.

I recommended the touchscreen-free version of this some months ago, and I'd like to take the opportunity to rescind my endorsement. It's too spongy for regular use. I've got an old full-size plugged in right now. Some piece broke off and is rattling around inside, which is gonna annoy me. There's no way to change the function keys' default setting to function keys. The main thing is that I won't again be buying a multi-device-connecting Bluetooth gizmo unless it has a physical switch for the different device pairings.

Oh, also it reboots about 20% of the time I hit Ctrl-C. That's probably not the keyboard's fault, though. It kept doing this after I did a factory reset, too. The reset also introduced some visual glitches for whatever kind of window the onscreen keyboard uses. When I first got the Deck I wasn't annoyed with SteamOS glitches, but now it's been out for plenty long enough. They're usually slow to fix these kinds of display/UI glitches.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

I'm using a cheap Logitech wireless with about the same gap but it's just for crusader kings. It's a little bad but not entirely unusable.

Edit: this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079JLY5M5?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

which part is bad about this one? It looks way better than the tiny Logi one I got. And this rounded cutesy one I got was msrp 50CAD, so the price difference doesn't make much sense.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Mescal posted:

which part is bad about this one? It looks way better than the tiny Logi one I got. And this rounded cutesy one I got was msrp 50CAD, so the price difference doesn't make much sense.

It's not bad at all, just sometimes I move the mouse and the cursor doesn't move. It's the price I pay for ruling from my chair about 10 feet from my dock.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oscar Wild posted:

It's not bad at all, just sometimes I move the mouse and the cursor doesn't move.

The whole reason that it exists is to move the cursor. If that isnt working its bad!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

The whole reason that it exists is to move the cursor. If that isnt working its bad!

Sounds like somebody's spoiled!

Oscar Wild posted:

It's not bad at all, just sometimes I move the mouse and the cursor doesn't move. It's the price I pay for ruling from my chair about 10 feet from my dock.

Do you have a regular full-sized keyboard you could take a photo of it next to? I mean, it's almost a full-size format but surely it's small.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 25, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I use that keyboard/mouse combo at home (I might spend some actual money on good hardware one day, lol), the keyboard is full size but fairly thin and light and they work absolutely fine. They're great value for the price, if you just want something that does the job then go for it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vic posted:

Can confirm that these are real good for couch surfing and generally moving around a computer without much drama.

They are not good for gaming however

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

For couch kb+mouse gaming I prefer a logitech mx ergo trackball and any of those cheap bluetooth mechanical keyboards you can fine. The trackball takes a bit to get used to (though the deck pads might've given you a start on that) but it's so much nicer to not deal with a mouse pad/mouse slipping around/crappy keyboard trackpads when gaming. I've even played single player shooters with the trackball and felt it was alright.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Has anyone tried Inkbound on the Deck, yet?

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Mr Phillby posted:

I've had that couple times.

I don't think i'm on beta updates atm.

I swear i read somewhere it was related to the trackpads, i had it trigger when i was reaching for the Steam button and accidentaly mashed the left trackpad at the same time. Had to turn it on, off then reboot to get it to clear.

This happened to me tonight and I rebooted and it went away, but then my deck kept randomly rebooting itself after a few seconds of being on. I thought my battery was hosed, but when I got home from work just now I tried it plugged in and unplugged with Vampire Survivors for about an hour and it stayed on, so I'm hoping it was a fluke after doing the update that came up. Scared the poo poo out of me, thought I was going to have to RMA, the hours and hours of emulation installation I'd done flashed before my eyes.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

You'll notice sometimes you hit the Steam or ellipse key and after, it apparently bypasses Steam Input for a deeper system input system. (Until you hit Steam button again.) Your custom key bindings are gone. When I'm in this weird mode, Ctrl-C reboots my system. I've found it can happen in Desktop or Gaming mode, with my Bluetooth or wired keyboard. I believe the former rules out a Gamescope issue.

Search "shortcuts" and you'll see three different things, one is, "get/view system shortcuts" which give this:

there's also 'shortcuts- config keyboard shortcuts' and 'custom shortcuts-configure input actions settings. I didn't see a ctrl-C in any of them.

My theory is that the Steam Input system and the system input system are different in that the former overrides SIGINT's priority. The other fails to. The high priority sends it straight to the command that launched KDE, and when KDE is killed the OS reboots. The problem is I don't know what input systems there are other than the ones in KDE and Steam Input.

Do you think I'm close?

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
So I've noticed that it seems to not like sleep mode anymore? When I press the power button and put it into sleep, if I come back to it it has to fully reboot. Wondering if there's a setting that got changed or something, now.

Edit: tried another game, seems fine, maybe it just doesn't play nice with Vampire Survivors

caldrax fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 28, 2023

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mine did that once with Darkest Dungeon 2, but it hasn't done it since, so probably a weird interaction with Proton or something.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's been an intermittent problem with mine, every once in a while the Deck won't properly resume from sleep and reboots instead. I've just chalked it up to sleep mode functionality being a bit of a kludge in and of itself, seeing as the majority of PC games aren't really designed to suspend like console games are nowadays.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Back in the day, Pilotwings was my go to for just chilling, especially the hang glider and plane sections. Any games like that on deck? Really laid back flight sim stuff?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

There's one called Skye that's a pretty chill flying game. It's short but free.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Has anyone figured out how to get Qt-based applications to use a dark theme under gamescope?

I use a few Qt programs in game mode including Doom Runner, Dolphin (the emulator), etc., and they all use Qt's default theme. But when I run them in desktop mode they correctly use the Vapor (dark) theme. I'd like those to either be consistent, or be able to use any dark theme in game mode.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

frytechnician posted:

Back in the day, Pilotwings was my go to for just chilling, especially the hang glider and plane sections. Any games like that on deck? Really laid back flight sim stuff?

Ultrawings. Its literally pilotwings for VR and they have since made a flatscreen version as well for non-VR systems

https://store.steampowered.com/app/974620/Ultrawings_FLAT/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Ultrawings. It’s literally pilotwings for VR and they have since made a flatscreen version as well for non-VR systems

https://store.steampowered.com/app/974620/Ultrawings_FLAT/

Oh wow, this looks great. Thanks for posting it!