Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Carillon posted:

So? It's gone either way.

The OP wanted to return the package to it's intended recipient, not whatever rando is walking by their house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Khizan posted:

Since they're probably about to start their residency, a big pile of cocaine.

If you know where they will be moving to, maybe a location specific gift?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I wanted to flatten some chicken breasts yesterday but didn't have a meat hammer, so I just put on some black vinyl gloves and started punching the chicken breasts. It was quite therapeutic, but extremely weird. I also wasn't punching the meat that hard because I didn't want to obliterate it, but a thought popped into my head whilst I was letting my inner psychopath out: is muscle tissue really that easy to mash to a gelatinous paste? Like I said, I wasn't punching hard, but the breast was getting very tenderized. But the thought of punching someone's leg and having the same happen seemed rather far-fetched?

Does muscle tissue withstand abuse much better when it's being supplied with blood or?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Inceltown posted:

My partners parents got her a car when she finished med school so there is at least some tradition of doing that.

I got gently caress all which I suspect is the most established tradition.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah fwiw I got my wife a framing job for her MD and I don't recall anyone else getting her a gift, just coming to celebrate.

Oh and her sister made a piñata themed after her residency specialty, which was rad as hell

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

So, we all know that birds can't taste the heat in chili. But what about wasabi? My use case is that we have magpies in the garden and they will steal anything if our backs are turned, but maybe if they got something they didn't like it would maybe scare them away for a bit? Any other ideas are also welcome, although we're not ready to go full on poisoning them.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BonHair posted:

So, we all know that birds can't taste the heat in chili. But what about wasabi? My use case is that we have magpies in the garden and they will steal anything if our backs are turned, but maybe if they got something they didn't like it would maybe scare them away for a bit?

isn't wasabi made from a root? how and why would a bird eat that?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Is there a general term for the kind of buckle thing like on backpack straps that you pass webbing through and loop back, and you can tighten the system by pulling but friction holds it in place?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

So, we all know that birds can't taste the heat in chili. But what about wasabi? My use case is that we have magpies in the garden and they will steal anything if our backs are turned, but maybe if they got something they didn't like it would maybe scare them away for a bit? Any other ideas are also welcome, although we're not ready to go full on poisoning them.

This patent claims that wasabi repels birds, but I remain skeptical of how well it works.

I’ve tried worse ideas though.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

alnilam posted:

Is there a general term for the kind of buckle thing like on backpack straps that you pass webbing through and loop back, and you can tighten the system by pulling but friction holds it in place?

Fastener, I think.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

alnilam posted:

Tri-glide slide

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Qubee posted:

Does muscle tissue withstand abuse much better when it's being supplied with blood or?

Your body constantly produces new cells, and while muscle cells are generally designed to last a long time, they can be replaced relatively quickly. Think about the time it takes to recover from injuries and you'll have the overall time it takes for those cells to be built. In the meantime the blood supply will provide attempts at relief in order to try and hold things together and dull the pain.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

I stood on a well-camoflagued fire-ant nest while using a crappy pay-to-park website and didn't notice until they started biting. It looks like most of the anti-sting OTC swabs/wipes/rollons are benzocaine or lidocaine, are either or both stable if stored at 80-160F (typical closed car temps here in summer) for months so I can throw some in the car and feel smug if it ever happens again?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Check your local pharmacy, Walgreens or whatever; they'll have plenty of that kind of stuff, and possibly even a kit containing it all

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Why does my milk go bad so fast? It always turns sour several days before its sell by date. I don't have milk every day, just use it 1/4 cup at a time for recipes and such, every so often a bowl of cereal.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

Why does my milk go bad so fast? It always turns sour several days before its sell by date. I don't have milk every day, just use it 1/4 cup at a time for recipes and such, every so often a bowl of cereal.

Try storing it in a different part of your refrigerator? It's possible that the location it's in tends to be at a higher temperature.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

the back of the lowest level is the coldest part of the fridge usually, keep it back there

also, maybe try disinfecting your fridge

e: also I had figured this was a given but maybe not: is your fridge cold enough period? It should be less than 4C (40F) in there

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Shrecknet posted:

Is it full fat? Full far usually goes bad quicker. Also, if you have housemates and someone is slogging straight from the container, that could accelerate things. Lastly, like everyone else said, check your temp, where you put it in the fridge and how often/long you open the fridge could make it spoil faster as well

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
Lower your fridge temp to near freezing, everything will last longer.

Milk can absolutely last a week past the sell by date if kept at temp.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

In addition to the other advice, this could indicate a problem with your local grocery store or their suppliers. Is the milk stored behind glass doors that have their back to the interior of the cooler? If so, when you open the doors, do you get a whiff of rotten odors? That could be a sign of poor cleaning practices, which could also indicate a carelessness for things like proper storage temperatures or problems with rotation. An issue with the supplier is probably less likely, but worth considering if the others don’t make sense. Have you tried buying milk from another brand to see if they have the same problem?

Edit: and if the milk is displayed in open faced cases that don’t have a back access to the cooler, it could mean that the stockers are putting pallets of milk out on the sales floor to stock the display cases, but being careless with how long they sit out

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
They’re more expensive but the organic stuff is often extra pasteurized and lasts a good bit longer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shrecknet posted:

Get ultrapasteurized milk, which is the norm in Europe, but in the United States you may have to get organic milk to get that (because the bottling facilities were built fairly recently).

e: Beaten, so I will say that 1) yes, refrigerator temperature does matter and 2) ultrapasteurized milk does taste a little different.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 23, 2023

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

A2 milk is also ultrapasteurized and can be easier on people's stomachs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shrecknet posted:

Why does my milk go bad so fast? It always turns sour several days before its sell by date.
The only time I've ever seen milk go bad before the use-by date was in a workplace kitchen where people kept leaving it out of the fridge for long periods. If your fridge is at the recommended temperature and you're only taking the milk out to pour some then putting it right back, it should last well past the use by.

Platystemon posted:

Get ultrapasteurized milk
If you don't mind that it tastes weird, UHT is fine, I guess. But if your fridge isn't broken then you shouldn't need it. Its main advantage is that you can store it for long much longer before opening, so if you expect to run out of milk and not be able to get to a shop then it might make sense to have some in the cupboard. Otherwise, regular pasteurisation is fine. Just don't leave the milk sitting out of the fridge.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If you really want to never be out of milk, you can also buy milk powder and then reconstitute it whenever you want. Again, it won't taste the same as regular milk, but you can keep it in the cabinet and dole it out as needed.

You do have to use hot water to reconstitute it though, so it's not like you can have cold milk ready to go 5 minutes after you discover you need milk.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You can also get shelf-stable liquid milk that lasts for several months at room temperature.

I like having some around for dire milk emergencies. It’s expensive, but if you only use a box every six months, no big deal.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ultra pasteurized and shelf stable milk are all nice products for special use but they do not taste as good as fresh (usually fresh implies local also) milk, imo. Just be careful about putting it right back in the fridge and maybe experiment with another supplier to see if there's a supplier issue.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
UHT milk’s taste way closer to the taste of VHT milk than powdered milk is, so I consider it a victory.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The clear answer is to use oat milk. Lasts an eon, tastes good, better for the environment.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

regulargonzalez posted:

The clear answer is to use oat milk. Lasts an eon, tastes good, better for the environment.

It tastes like the milk left in the bowl after you finish eating cereal. I guess that could be a good or bad thing depending on context and preference.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

It tastes like the milk left in the bowl after you finish eating cereal. I guess that could be a good or bad thing depending on context and preference.

Pre-cerealized milk. Makes your cereals taste extra cereal.

I mainly use milk just for my coffee and for that oat milk is better than cow milk imo.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Bobfromsales posted:

Lower your fridge temp to near freezing, everything will last longer.

Milk can absolutely last a week past the sell by date if kept at temp.

Seems like good advice on the surface but it isn't, I did this and stopped after a few weeks because most things would get close to freezing / freeze even though I had the fridge set to 1c and it was gross eating mushy vegetables / fruits that had thawed or trying to chip away at butter that had become hard like ice.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Qubee posted:

Seems like good advice on the surface but it isn't, I did this and stopped after a few weeks because most things would get close to freezing / freeze even though I had the fridge set to 1c and it was gross eating mushy vegetables / fruits that had thawed or trying to chip away at butter that had become hard like ice.

Your fridge thermometer isn't an exact beast and getting some parts of the fridge to temperature may mean other parts get colder than that. You adjust that dial until everyone in the fridge is happy.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My wife's milk in the fridge for kept going bad before we upgraded our fridge, even when stuff in the back was freezing. Now, everything is cool and good with the new one. Well, except the leftovers we forget obviously.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I really like coconut milk, but it definitely has a coconut taste. This is usually fine unless I'm baking, but we just have heavy cream - which lasts for loving ever comparatively - and dilute if we need regular milk.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've got a stack of moving boxes in an empty bedroom that have been sat there for a year, untouched. I also have some curtain drapes that I've just left massed in the corner of said room. I was looking through those moving boxes to see if I'd forgotten anything, and a whole bunch of what I assume are silverfish came crawling about everywhere.

Where did they come from? I live on the 4th floor of a recently renovated apartment building. Is it possible there were eggs in the cardboard boxes already and they just hatched? How can I naturally get rid of them, as I don't want to use anything that could harm my budgies. They're gross but harmless and I don't know if they'll spread throughout my tiled apartment or if they're just gonna stick to their cardboard box corner.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've started subconsciously clenching my jaw lately. Apparently this can be a side effect of some anti-depressants I take and/or it might be caused my terrible posture and tight neck muscles. I've started wearing a mouth guard at night and that seems to help, but does anyone have any tips to help me stop myself from doing this during the day when a mouth guard isn't really practical? Or stretches?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've started subconsciously clenching my jaw lately. Apparently this can be a side effect of some anti-depressants I take and/or it might be caused my terrible posture and tight neck muscles. I've started wearing a mouth guard at night and that seems to help, but does anyone have any tips to help me stop myself from doing this during the day when a mouth guard isn't really practical? Or stretches?
Short term, try chewing gum. It keeps me moving my jaw so I can't clench. Longer term, meditation and/or therapy if it seems to be anxiety-related. Maybe ask your doctor if it's a potential side effect, might be a bunch of different anti-depressants you could try (assuming you're still in the early stages of that, anyway).

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Qubee posted:

I've got a stack of moving boxes in an empty bedroom that have been sat there for a year, untouched. I also have some curtain drapes that I've just left massed in the corner of said room. I was looking through those moving boxes to see if I'd forgotten anything, and a whole bunch of what I assume are silverfish came crawling about everywhere.

Where did they come from? I live on the 4th floor of a recently renovated apartment building. Is it possible there were eggs in the cardboard boxes already and they just hatched? How can I naturally get rid of them, as I don't want to use anything that could harm my budgies. They're gross but harmless and I don't know if they'll spread throughout my tiled apartment or if they're just gonna stick to their cardboard box corner.

They eat dust, grains, and indeed paper products, so they might have been attracted by the cardboard box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Don't keep this habit or you'll end up like me with permanent TMJ which is a huge pain in the rear end. Get a mouthguard and use it constantly for a month, that's what my dentist told me. Then use it at night only after that first month. During this time, try and retrain your habit so instead of clenching your jaw, you clench your fist. This might not be helpful if it's from the SSRIs.

Killingyouguy! posted:

They eat dust, grains, and indeed paper products, so they might have been attracted by the cardboard box

Gonna buck up and vacuum them all away this weekend if I can stomach the sight of a few dozen creepy crawlies.