Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Dave Brookshaw posted:

It would take more wordcount than available and cultural consultants we didn't have, but there's something going on with the Pacific's Hallows that made mage society as a whole switch the English-language term for magic juice from "Prima Materia" to "Mana."*

I was upset that we had to leave it as only implied. But then Werewolf's leak happened and, well - on reflection, probably dodged a bullet there. Anything my white rear end could come up with would be inferior to an actual Pacific writer.

* ETA - And to be clear, mage society changes their terms for things where and when they acknowledge a greater technical understanding.

The Awakened started referring to liquid supernal power as "Mana" in 1996 following the release of Diablo. Any records of earlier usage were inserted into history retroactively by time paradoxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
My trick was always to seal it in a large ziplock with baking soda and desiccant packs, then toss it in the freezer.

Or a closed box outside with an ozone generator.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ferrinus posted:

The Awakened started referring to liquid supernal power as "Mana" in 1996 following the release of Diablo. Any records of earlier usage were inserted into history retroactively by time paradoxes.

We can actually date when this happened.
Diablo was originally going to be a roguelike turn-based game.

When the exec mandate came down to make it real-time if they could, they asked for months of development time.

They managed to code in "just make the tick rate one second per second" in the space of an afternoon and miraculously, it worked (mostly). They clicked a skeleton and in realtime their warrior bopped the skeleton.

Clearly this 'miraculous afternoon' was the work of Imperial magic.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
becoming an Acanthus Archmage to prevent Swansong from ever being made

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Why? There are much worse counterspells that would need to be removed from the timeline first.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I did this, but with Silksong.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Is Swansong better or worse than The Council, that dev's previous game?

I personally found the The Council to be funnily janky and going hilariously off the rails by the end (setting up mechanics that are barely used) but I was kind of interested to see what they did next, because its failures were clearly a result of their project scope being too big, rather than inherently bad ideas.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

bewilderment posted:

I personally found the The Council to be funnily janky and going hilariously off the rails by the end (setting up mechanics that are barely used) but I was kind of interested to see what they did next, because its failures were clearly a result of their project scope being too big, rather than inherently bad ideas.

i spent more time playing the terrible werewolf game than I did swansong, and I was actually excited for swansong before I started playing

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

bewilderment posted:

I never played The Council, sorry.

It's just that I'm salty I paid so much money to play an amateur level game, everything from writing, direction, art and performance is mediocre at best. I can't help but think they cast characters wrong, if that makes sense? The most prominent being Emem (as you play as her first, yes you play as three different characters). Emem is cast as a neonate, zero skills and lowest on the pecking order, perfect as a standin for a new player.

Well her character is 100 years old with significant influence and connections, and she owns three nightclubs offscreen that never ever come into play. I made a joke back then that she must be the usual Toreador Combat Monster, because the game has no combat and thus doesn't even model combat skills or abilities.

Contrast with the local Herald, she's cast as tough and independent, and can back it up because if you try social combat against her she smacks you into a fine red paste (i.e. she has maxed skills). Her character is a 20 year old that was embraced 2 years ago.

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 24, 2023

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I never played The Council, sorry.

It's just that I'm salty I paid so much money to play an amateur level game, everything from writing, direction, art and performance is mediocre at best. I can't help but think they cast characters wrong, if that makes sense? The most prominent being Emem (as you play as her first, yes you play as three different characters). Emem is cast as a neonate, zero skills and lowest on the pecking order, perfect as a standin for a new player.

Contrast with the local Herald, she's cast as tough and independent, and can back it up because if you try social combat against her she smacks you into a fine red paste (i.e. she has maxed skills). Her character is a 20 year old that was embraced 2 years ago.
That last part makes it sound like she's someone's character from their home game, since that's more or less what happens when you play a game that hands out XP freely (and, frankly, it works fine in tabletop; much less so in any other medium). Honestly, everything about the WoD video games (apart from Bloodlines) just sounds like it's such a waste of time and potential.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Except for Bloodlines and the two Hunter: The Reckoning games, you mean.

edit:\/\/\/\/ I really enjoyed night roads, but I don't think I'm being too much of a goon by saying interactive novels aren't video games? Like the Disco Elysium style vamp game would be, but just a straight up CYOA isn't.

Does that make sense or is my head up my own rear end again?

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 24, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I will defend Night Road and Parliament of Owls. I will even go so far as defend that prototype for the Discolike where you play as a Toreador girlboss and her mopey ghoul that I hope will turn into a full game someday.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ghost Council is up.

Bonus page about Pack stuff:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Well, people were speculating earlier that Ahroun might not be an auspice any more, but there it is.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ahahaha they stole the likeness of someone again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heilung

Scandinavian folk band front lady.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

shut it down until they do a full pass on the art, fine tooth comb

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Another interesting detail from Tome of the Pentacle is the new Banishing Cycle:

Per page 130 of 1e, The Banishing Cycle was just be the Invocation Cycle backwards. Of course, that doesn't work in rock-paper-scissors style system; if you attack my Fate with your Forces, are you using Invocation against me or am I using Banishment against you? So it looks like what they've done is kept the idea of moving from subtle Arcanum to subtle Arcanum counterclockwise, but rather than noting down which gross Arcanum you travel along you note which gross Arcanum you cross first.

This actually gives us a total of four progressions to play with and assign significance to, because now you've got invocation, invocation reversed, banishing, and banishing reversed. Maybe banishing is the natural or sustainable way in which things are destroyed while 1e banishing/2e reversed invocation is a hosed-up perversion of natural law in which death directly creates life and thought is merely a second-order consequence of relation? And then you can have some with which Arcanum is next to which other when you write the two cycles out side to side like in that image.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 24, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Man, I do not like that art for the Ghost Council, putting aside that they once again used someone's likeness. It's not very evocative at all.

I do like the text though, mostly. The rework seems to have dropped one of my favourite part of the Uktena which was that they accepted people from all the poor and downtrodden.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Fuzz posted:

hellajeff_stairsbro.jpg

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Fuzz posted:

I have no doubt that every single picture so far has been someone's likeness, people just aren't figuring out who they are yet because they aren't well known enough, or are just random people the artist has photos of.

EDIT: The dude on the right is absolutely someone's likeness, I think people will likely find that one soon enough too.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

MonsieurChoc posted:

Man, I do not like that art for the Ghost Council, putting aside that they once again used someone's likeness. It's not very evocative at all.
It’s like the evolution of early 2000s LARP supplement art, where they grabbed random employees and Halloween costumes. Yes, it looks better than that, but I’d expect it to - and it’s still boring-rear end regular people.

Not to sound like a broken record here, but when are we going to get a werewolf for the Werewolf game where you play a Werewolf?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

AmiYumi posted:

It’s like the evolution of early 2000s LARP supplement art, where they grabbed random employees and Halloween costumes. Yes, it looks better than that, but I’d expect it to - and it’s still boring-rear end regular people.

Not to sound like a broken record here, but when are we going to get a werewolf for the Werewolf game where you play a Werewolf?
I'm assuming their artist(s) need to get a 4k transfer of Dog Soldiers to trace frames from first

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/indigedroid/status/1661416564917424128

:yikes:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Not that I would usually encourage reading the comments on any post, but

Hoo doggy, those comments :stonklol:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I have no doubt that every single picture so far has been someone's likeness, people just aren't figuring out who they are yet because they aren't well known enough, or are just random people the artist has photos of.

EDIT: The dude on the right is absolutely someone's likeness, I think people will likely find that one soon enough too.

I'd put money on the soldier being some idf lady. I did a quick gis and that camo face pattern seems pretty common

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

An apologetic White Wolf assures fans they'll be firing that artist summarily and replacing them with... Greg Land?!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

AmiYumi posted:

Not that I would usually encourage reading the comments on any post, but

Hoo doggy, those comments :stonklol:

Dawkins, who was accused of bullying a minority previously, running in to flying drop kick an insult at another guy whose entire thing is representation in media is uh... an interesting thing, to say the least. His repeated ad hominem as a rebuttal to accusations of the same is also an interesting choice.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Soonmot posted:

Except for Bloodlines and the two Hunter: The Reckoning games, you mean.

Which of the three Hunter the Reckoning games is the waste of time and potential?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
there were three htr video games?

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

Ferrinus posted:

An apologetic White Wolf assures fans they'll be firing that artist summarily and replacing them with... Greg Land?!

At least Land cops to being a tracer

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

EDIT-Sorry, double post

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Committing to the bit by painstakingly tracing your own post.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

there were three htr video games?

Yeah. The first, Wayward (for the PS2) and Redeemer. The other two were for X Box and Gamecube, I think. They were extremely fun with a group.

Anyway, this was a tidbit:

https://twitter.com/Yuri_Capadocio/status/1661463506019840001

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 24, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm interested to see what they do because it seems like a reasonable amount of their art has turned out to be a ticking time bomb, since it seems safe to assume (or at least dangerous to discount) that nearly everything from this artist is an edit of an actual person's face.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Oh I guess they kept work from someone they're not crediting or paying too. Joy.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Long time no post, but Victorian Mage is here and I'm running a game so I'm dusting off my old files and so on.

Also: I would like to strangle Brucato. Verbena visiting 'Ayers Rock' decades before it even had the name. No 'secondary' female masonry until the 1890s (a case can be made for primary - not until le droit humain in 1893 did they stop relying on Adoption Lodges, but those same adoption lodges are nearly as old as Masonry is on the continent, to say nothing of irregular offshoots that took the adoption model and ran with it)! These are basic errors of fact, goddamnit. Other elements, like the continual fixation with Uluru as some kind of intrinsic Australian heart, the near-total ignorance of the Frontier Wars scope, and the co-option of the Dreamings as both one thing and to just be where all the Dreamspeakers from everywhere can go and hang, also really stick in my craw. It's not loving 1996 anymore, and White Wolf already got the memo about using Uluru and not Ayers Rock, so its particularly egregious.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Loomer posted:

Also: I would like to strangle Brucato.

Take a number!

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Picked up the Devoted Companion for Deviant this week. Very good book with neat options. One caveat: It's laser-focused on creating an alternate framework of play for Devoted PCs. Not much there to use if you're already running a vanilla game as Renegades.

Deviant has quickly become my fav CofD game. I love the versatility of the character creation - PC building is fun, and not too granular in the way a lot of supers RPGs are. On the GM's side of things, running the Conspiracy and all its moving parts is a lot of fun.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Montreal By Night came up the past couple pages so I got around to reading it again. What a drat shame this book has all the edgy baggage tacked on to it because the city politics and the vibe they establish are quite cool. I think it also has one of my favorite pieces of cover art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

Montreal By Night came up the past couple pages so I got around to reading it again. What a drat shame this book has all the edgy baggage tacked on to it because the city politics and the vibe they establish are quite cool. I think it also has one of my favorite pieces of cover art.

I got a soft spot for that book because the WW crew talked to a bunch of college rpg clubs when they came to Montreal to write the book and one of those was mine (before my time). We got a signed copy of the Book of Nod as a thank you gift.