Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I apologize if my first post was clumsy and made it sound like I was suggesting treating it as popcorn entertainment

But I am sincerely saying that an important film about a tragic chapter of our history would be best seen going in blind and allowing the atrocity to have maximum impact on the viewer, especially when the victimized people have had this amount of input on the film.

I’m not suggesting not reading up on/watching documentary youtubes about the incident either, I’m saying to do it afterwards. Because they have a voice in this film, I’m saying let them tell you their story first.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Y'all this is the trailers thread where we're talking about movies. And it's a Scorsese movie. Of course it's a spectacle. Real life events, even tragic ones, can have spectacular retellings.

And wanting the movie to have maximum impact is completely legitimate. It could help the story drive home even harder. I'm pretty sure Scorsese crafts his films as such.

Nobody is trying to remain "historically ignorant" for all time or some poo poo and that is the stupidest pearl clutching crap this thread has probably ever engaged in.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

I apologize if my first post was clumsy and made it sound like I was suggesting treating it as popcorn entertainment

But I am sincerely saying that an important film about a tragic chapter of our history would be best seen going in blind and allowing the atrocity to have maximum impact on the viewer, especially when the victimized people have had this amount of input on the film.

I’m not suggesting not reading up on/watching documentary youtubes about the incident either, I’m saying to do it afterwards. Because they have a voice in this film, I’m saying let them tell you their story first.

You’re fine. Not sure why people are jumping down your neck so hard here. “Spoilers” sounded off-putting and you clarified. It’s good that you’re interested in the subject and hopefully the film will be a springboard for you to learning more about that history. If there wasn’t supposed to be any dramatic tension then Scorsese would’ve just made a documentary.

Edit: and if this movie is the only thing you ever know about that history that’s fine too because we’re all just people living lives and we can’t all be experts on every horrible historical event, all we can do is care.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 24, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I didn’t even use the word spoiler to begin with, did everyone collectively hallucinate that

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Shockers, spoilers, same thing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Steve Yun posted:

I didn’t even use the word spoiler to begin with, did everyone collectively hallucinate that

It wouldn't matter anyway. This is the movie thread. Spoilers is a perfectly normal term and there's no reason for anyone to hand wring over it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe Scorsese went the Inglorious Basterds route and even if you know the history the ending is still a surprise.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This discussion reminds me of how TV Watchmen helped educate a shitload of people about Tulsa.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

But I am sincerely saying that an important film about a tragic chapter of our history would be best seen going in blind and allowing the atrocity to have maximum impact on the viewer

i still find this weird but it's okay we're all allowed to find things weird.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

This discussion reminds me of how TV Watchmen helped educate a shitload of people about Tulsa.

I went to public high school in Oklahoma and they didn't even teach about it lol. People being unaware of historical atrocities doesn't surprise me, the US education system would skip over the Civil War if they thought they could get away with it instead they just teach a bastardized version of it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Anyway, I've let this derail drag on for too long. Let's get back to movie trailers please.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
YAFT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jprhe-cWKGs

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
This feels very "A24 Movie" in the vein of EEAAO but I guess that's not such a bad thing. The bits you can see of the main guy's performance looks very good, as does Swinton as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbsk4okRUds

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My goon face blindness is acting up because my brain said Justin Long and Susan Sarandon

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Colonel Whitey posted:

This feels very "A24 Movie" in the vein of EEAAO but I guess that's not such a bad thing. The bits you can see of the main guy's performance looks very good, as does Swinton as usual.

Wow, that was right up my alley. A24 rarely misses, I swear. Freakin' thread title every time.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

kiimo posted:

My goon face blindness is acting up because my brain said Justin Long and Susan Sarandon

You idiot.

me too

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol my first thought was "10-15 years ago this would star Justin long"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bunch of squares revealing that they never watched Los Espookys, which was Julio Torres' show on HBO. I highly recommend it, first season is great, second season isn't quite as strong but is still funny. The show is about a group of friends who use their special effects experience to fake supernatural events for people, except the show is set in a very magical realism kind of world.

CameronisGod
Dec 19, 2022

by Pragmatica

Steve Yun posted:

This is the US. We are all completely desensitized to atrocities, genocide, discrimination, xenophobia, and all forms of violence, rape, brutality, and so on, because our society focuses on continuously churning out more extreme forms of these things as never-ending "entertainment" for the white bread masses that are our vacuous minded population.

The only thing people are not desensitized to is animal cruelty, but if I ever become a film maker, writer, television producer, or video game maker, I will do my utmost to ensure I include copious amounts of it in every single product I create to ensure that the American Public continues to become the most perfect psychopathic 350 million people Satan ever spawned on this hellscape of a planet.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CameronisGod posted:

This is the US. We are all completely desensitized to atrocities, genocide, discrimination, xenophobia, and all forms of violence, rape, brutality, and so on, because our society focuses on continuously churning out more extreme forms of these things as never-ending "entertainment" for the white bread masses that are our vacuous minded population.

The only thing people are not desensitized to is animal cruelty, but if I ever become a film maker, writer, television producer, or video game maker, I will do my utmost to ensure I include copious amounts of it in every single product I create to ensure that the American Public continues to become the most perfect psychopathic 350 million people Satan ever spawned on this hellscape of a planet.

Welcome to the Trailer Thread.

Watch your step.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CameronisGod posted:

fail

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CameronisGod posted:

The gently caress is this gimmick account? Lmao. Whose alt is this?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Colonel Whitey posted:

Its got the same vibe as his stand up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cG8ClUkRVM

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

teagone posted:

The gently caress is this gimmick account? Lmao. Whose alt is this?

Post history was a fun little ride

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CameronisGod posted:

gently caress off forever

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

CameronisGod posted:

[The ravings of a self-important madman were written here]

lol

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nice. That guy sucked.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I read all his posts so he won.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Anywaaaayyyy how about some Barbie huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRzCR5YKWUk

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Warner Bros. needs to pick a shield and stick with it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

Anywaaaayyyy how about some Barbie huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRzCR5YKWUk

This looks pretty boring, to be honest. The Barbie brand name is doing a lot to generate interest in this thing, which otherwise looks like every other conventional comedy these days.

Edit: like, the trailer doesn’t even answer its own sales pitch. Why would I want to see this if I don’t care about Barbie? None of the people involved in front of or behind the camera are automatic must-see artists. So why would I want to see this? I didn’t get a single laugh out of the trailer.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 25, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah I am not sure if this is going to deliver on the amount of camp I actually want from something like this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kids toy:
"You guys ever think about dying?"

This movie is gonna break peoples minds. It's gonna be great.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
They already made Toy Story 3

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

They already made Toy Story 3

yeah but this movie looks good

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I loved Toy Story 3

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is that the one with Stinky Pete

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine watching that Barbie trailer and the thing that comes to mind is "Boring."

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah the gag about wearing flats, and that part where Ryan Gosling pops out of the back seat sure did have me in stitches. Never seen anything quite like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Is that the one with Stinky Pete

It's the one with the daycare and the furnace