Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

Rank-and-file Democrats acknowledge that they will be under enormous political pressure to support any deal backed by Biden, lest they leave the economy and the president of their own party out to dry.

“If Joe Biden has his name on it, Democrats are going to vote for it,” said one House Democrat granted anonymity to discuss the private political calculations of members.

"So long Medicaid" - House Dems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what pressure ????

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Goddam, that politico piece is kayfabe gold:

quote:

On Monday, Jeffries alluded to some objections by Democrats over the potential for a compromise to include budget cuts, calling a White House-proposed spending freeze “an inherently reasonable position” yet one “many in our party might even be uncomfortable with.”

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
From behind the wsj payroll for all of you

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh no where will they possibly find 100 democrats willing to vote for a republican bill!?!?!?! we're doomed

they're pretending that this time it's gonna be the "far left" that stalls a deal, which is lol.

quote:

Democratic moderates belonging to the Problem Solvers Caucus, Blue Dog Coalition and the business-friendly New Democrat Coalition are usually the first place to seek votes in a bipartisan plan. But the more votes Democrats need to produce, the further they’d have to reach into their progressive wing, where members are already opposed to several key policies under discussion.

so when whatever bullshit passes they can say they took the lapdogs' views into consideration.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

why is number upset today?

take a guess

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

Rank-and-file Democrats acknowledge that they will be under enormous political pressure to support any deal backed by Biden, lest they leave the economy and the president of their own party out to dry.

“If Joe Biden has his name on it, Democrats are going to vote for it,” said one House Democrat granted anonymity to discuss the private political calculations of members.

Time to start scrawling Biden’s name across the top of random legislation to see if this holds true.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
it’s priced in :downs: calm down. p r i c e d i n

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Goodbye social benefits.

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1661441678698246144

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

lol, ok but how are you preventing that default?

concessions

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

they should tell congress to gently caress off with its insincere bullshit and mint the coin unilaterally

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

genericnick posted:

He made up the drug war, didn't he? And when was it that the US was flooded with crack cocaine? That certainly wasn't distributed by the CIA?

war on drugs started under Nixon but was expanded yeah. Reagan needed an extra-governmental budget and did so using drug money and the CIA were the middle man. Also used to weaken black communities both by addicting and arresting. Volker shock also hit black employment/income hardest.

Technically loving around in afghanistan was started by Carter.

Reagan did some other poo poo too like changing how social security worked, used a 'unified budget' to cut top tax rate in half by spending from everyone's retirement fund. He deregulated broadcast which led to our hell news of punditry and is why 80s and 90s cartoons were all associated with a line of toys. Also allowed ketchup to count as a vegitable so school lunch could be made terrible.

it all comes back to Reagan. we live in a reagan world

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

god he’s the worst ever

Jesus Christ

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
they’re gonna default so they can blame the recession on the default instead of on the numerous other problems that they aren’t solving and don’t plan to solve

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

dems got a clean debt ceiling increase under trump and can't get one under biden lmao what a party

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

take a guess

I thought the debt ceiling was priced in!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Stereotype posted:

they’re gonna default so they can blame the recession on the default instead of on the numerous other problems that they aren’t solving and don’t plan to solve

That's too clever, and also implies they want to do anything at all, they'll keep kicking the can instead.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

dems got a clean debt ceiling increase under trump and can't get one under biden lmao what a party

im not even mad at that, like sure whatever divided congress, whatever, but there is a clear way out of this and the only reason it isnt being pursued is because it "seems unserious" (translation: it recognizes the rules are made up and the points don't matter, and we just can't possibly say that)

what makes me even more mad are the people who treat the national debt like household finances. it's like hiring a bunch of twelve year olds to work at NASA and they keep insisting that to get to the moon you point the rocket at it like a surface to air missile and go straight till you hit it, just complete ignorance of the system

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 19:51 on May 24, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

god Biden should resign. totally pathetic

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/SalehaMohsin/status/1661381227276820482?s=19

She's right because they're gonna shotgun medicaid instead.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Nothus posted:

95: Good
98: Bad
98 SE: Good
ME: Bad
XP: Good
Vista: Bad
7: Good
8: Bad
10: Good
11: lol

they skipped a number?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

RadiRoot posted:

they skipped a number?

don't worry ab out it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Joe will finally get his lifelong desire to murder snap, welfare, and Medicaid.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

Joe will finally get his lifelong desire to murder snap, welfare, and Medicaid.

its weird how only democrats use snap welfare and medicaid

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Aurubin posted:

https://twitter.com/SalehaMohsin/status/1661381227276820482?s=19

She's right because they're gonna shotgun medicaid instead.

lmao if there is nobody even planning on what to do if there's a default, like if they default and pulls the global economy down with it and nobody bothers showing up for work the next day to lead us through it (b/c they either don't care, don't want to tie their name or career to it, or straight up don't know what to do)

"I got into a car wreck, but I am not involved in planning what to do in the event of a car wreck, so I am just gonna walk home and not tell anyone and let the city deal with it"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

euphronius posted:

god Biden should resign. totally pathetic

He will not resign, in fact, you won't even be able to primary him. What, you gonna vote for Desantis :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RadiRoot posted:

they skipped a number?

Some prevalent theories:

- Legacy software had a check for windows_version starting with 9.
- Windows 10 is actually the 10th release of Windows.
- Microsoft originally said something along the lines of "Windows 10 is the last major version change of Windows," and 10 is a good round number to end on.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

- Idiot executives at Microsoft don't know how to count.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Lmao that rocks

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

FlapYoJacks posted:

Some prevalent theories:

- Microsoft originally said something along the lines of "Windows 10 is the last major version change of Windows," and 10 is a good round number to end on.

concerns for a initially negative response from german as a first language customers

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

concerns for a initially negative response from german as a first language customers

Beat me to it

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Antonymous posted:

Reagan sent a ship to bombard Grenada but by the time the ship got there the government of Grenada had changed but he bombed anyway

Reagan supplied both sides of the Iraq/Iran war

Reagan allied himself with drug warlords in central america and fascists in south america

He supported indonesia's invasion and genocide of east timor

etc etc etc it is very hard to top Reagan

this plus modern drug war & mass incarceration domestically, etc.

Reagan's administration is easily the worst in my lifetime. But Reagan's admin would have been nothing without all of the staff, from Buchanan to Wolfowitz to Rumsfeld, who cut their teeth in the Nixon administration and never faced any repercussions.

Those people went on to staff and, according to some (lookin' at you, Dick), run the W administration. So if you think W was the worst, you can also thank Dick Nixon.

Nixon's administration has had the longest lasting, most pernicious effect on US foreign and domestic policy as any other in history.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

Some prevalent theories:

I like the first theory because it's the kind of thing I would do and push for. It's gonna cost the project billions in time and money to go back through and fix this, just call it ten and save a ton of work!!! "The only problem with this solution is bureaucratic!"

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I was under the (probably incorrect) impression that Microsoft skipping 9 had something to do with how poorly the mobile like design of Windows 8 was received. Like they either had to scrap the initial work on 9, or wanted to put as much distance from 8 as possible.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

captainbananas posted:

this plus modern drug war & mass incarceration domestically, etc.

Reagan's administration is easily the worst in my lifetime. But Reagan's admin would have been nothing without all of the staff, from Buchanan to Wolfowitz to Rumsfeld, who cut their teeth in the Nixon administration and never faced any repercussions.

Those people went on to staff and, according to some (lookin' at you, Dick), run the W administration. So if you think W was the worst, you can also thank Dick Nixon.

Nixon's administration has had the longest lasting, most pernicious effect on US foreign and domestic policy as any other in history.

Nixon awakened the evangelical demographic, reagan made them a pillar of the gop

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Edit: Wait, why did you swap Vista and 7?

Edit 2: Man, my memory is going wonky. I'm getting tripped up in my lovely windows versions.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 20:16 on May 24, 2023

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

Some prevalent theories:

This would be a funny story but microsoft could've simply made windows_version be "windows 10" in the code but branded all the marketing materials as windows 9

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Also, Win2K was the best Windows ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

- Idiot executives at Microsoft don't know how to count.

I believe this one