Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Unless you're wrestling against Charlotte Flair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there was teh time eddie guerrero bladed wrong and cut an artery and the match had to be ended asap
that was insane and disgusting

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What are the standards for big wrestling companies when it comes to blood or injuries in the ring? Like I know about blading but if a wrestler is clearly bleeding too much is there a signal to end the match ASAP so he can get aid?

Wasn't it the Funkasaurus himself who took a ladder to the face and just had to leave a match, all there was left of him was the big puddle of blood in the ring.

I remember seeing Austin v Bret promos and that seemed like SO MUCH BLOOD. In those days I only really got to watch Shotgun Saturday nights so the blood footage was always black n white and made it seem worse

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
terry funk got kicked by a horse in the middle of a match (long story) and kept going the man is on a whole other level even among hardcore wrestlers

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Mick Foley famously lost an ear in a match and kept going, and the guy he was wrestling was Big Van Vader who also very famously had an eyeball pop out in a match and he just pushed it back in and kept going

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Recently Finn Balor tore his head open to the point they needed some people to sneak into the cage and check on him while badly trying to hide since it would have broken kayfabe and the rules of the match and his Demon character for them to be there, but they kept the match going. He needed several staples after the match.

Brock Lesnar also got busted open either on accident (the turnbuckle hit itself was definitely planned) or he bladed wrong and you could see the ref check on him while Cody lingered nearby to see how he was but they didn't cut the match any shorter than I would have expected for a Lesnar match. They just had Brock face away from the hard camera as much as possible.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Cornwind Evil posted:

Ho boy. Behind The Bastards is beginning a six part series...on Vince McMahon.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-vince-mcmahon-historys-greatest-115219643/

Based on that choice of title, it's going to be something. I wonder if it will confirm my original story.

Been listening to this as someone who consumed wrestling casually back in the early 00's and hoo-boy is it a rich tapestry for an ignoramus like myself.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Cornwind Evil posted:

Dylan Postl, nee Hornswoggle

I love and appreciate these writeups and find them fascinating, but this is driving me crazy. When you do name1 nee name2, name2 is the one they were born with. Like Marge Simpson (nee Bouvier) or Hulk Hogan nee Terry Bolea.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince wanted muhammad ali bladed during the inoki incident without the consent of ali which would have gone over well lol

"that guy who could punch a whole through your chest? slice him. No, don't tell him you're gonna do it, jesus" what a loving lunatic

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

terry funk got kicked by a horse in the middle of a match (long story) and kept going the man is on a whole other level even among hardcore wrestlers

Funk punched the horse in return while yelling "You fuckin' horse! I'll kick your rear end!"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince wanted muhammad ali bladed during the inoki incident without the consent of ali which would have gone over well lol

I read something different: Vince Sr. (not Jr.) suggested that at some point in the match, Inoki would receive a barrage of punches from Ali, collapse, and gig himself; and then when Ali went to return to his corner as the ref checked on Inoki, Inoki would then sneak in the victory with a rollup pin. Obviously Ali's people didn't go for that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/sU6BlyS.mp4

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I mean it was gonna be Gene LeBell gigging Ali, so on the short list of folks who might not get killed trying it Gene would have a fighting chance

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

that kid was so lucky to get his rear end kicked by the stinger

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
There was one match in Lucha Underground that they had to stop when Matanza (Jeff Cobb) punched through a real pane of glass instead of the gimmicked one and his arm started pouring out blood in a very "this man will die if not rushed to a hospital" kind of way

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Sort of like when Goldberg was supposed to punch through a car window with his fist aided by a steel pipe concealed in his jacket sleeve. Except he dropped the pipe and decided to do it bare-handed, immediately severing an artery and missing like six months after the surgery.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9hctehAHKA

the money shot at 40 seconds

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Watching it again I'm not sure how he was supposed to conceal a pipe considering he had no sleeves so I may be mistaking what actually happened.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Watching it again I'm not sure how he was supposed to conceal a pipe considering he had no sleeves so I may be mistaking what actually happened.

hasn't Bill Goldberg concussed himself at least once while "psyching up"/being intimidating pre-match by, for instance, smashing his head against a locker door

the bad ideas machine at WCW might genuinely have thought that a big bad dude like him would of course only take cosmetic damage from full-force flinging his bare arm through no-gimmick automotive glass

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I think there was no attempt at subterfuge, he straight up was supposed to have the pipe in his hand and straight up lost it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If he was smart he would have just peed on the door handle so the next time someone went to open the car door it had nasty pee all over it. Now that would have been good entertainment.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

he was supposed to use a pipe, forgot it, then decided to smash the glass because he thought it would be like breaking breakaway glass and instead ended up nearly bleeding out on live tv

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SatansOnion posted:

hasn't Bill Goldberg concussed himself at least once while "psyching up"/being intimidating pre-match by, for instance, smashing his head against a locker door

the bad ideas machine at WCW might genuinely have thought that a big bad dude like him would of course only take cosmetic damage from full-force flinging his bare arm through no-gimmick automotive glass

he bashed his head on the locker to psyche himself up and this ended up giving himself a concussion before the disastrous saudia arabia match with the undertaker even started. they nearly killed each other because both have no business wrestling anymore

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you fight friends

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
goldberg was the only success story from wcw's wrestling school which never properly trained him how to pull his punches because the power plant was a joke which is why goldberg constantly hurts himself or his opponent

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Grendels Dad posted:

I think there was no attempt at subterfuge, he straight up was supposed to have the pipe in his hand and straight up lost it.

One of my favorite failed WCW subterfuges was Jericho being “locked” out of a venue & pounding on the door to get in, and a non-briefed stagehand politely opens a door & Jericho still has to sell being stuck outside.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
goldberg being held in the police station across the street

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

terry funk is a rasslin elemental, hosed up gimmick matches only make him more powerful

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

goldberg was the only success story from wcw's wrestling school which never properly trained him how to pull his punches because the power plant was a joke which is why goldberg constantly hurts himself or his opponent

It was run by a roided up psychopath with little big man syndrome who just used it to haze guys with ridiculous conditioning because he was nothing but a huge jobber and actually had a leprechaun gimmick at one point

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
This is barely relevant, but Knife Fight is hilarious tv. Goldberg is one of the hosts

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mulaney Power Move posted:

It was run by a roided up psychopath with little big man syndrome who just used it to haze guys with ridiculous conditioning because he was nothing but a huge jobber and actually had a leprechaun gimmick at one point

this is every wrestling school lol

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Speaking of wrestling "schools": back in the 1980s, journeyman wrestler and noted all-around rear end in a top hat Buzz Sawyer--in between taking liberties with rookies and jobbers in the ring and burning his bridges with nearly every promoter in the US due to his unpredictable behavior and propensity for getting in fights both backstage and at bars--would offer to "train" guys trying to break into the business. Said training consisted of taking a dude's money and then vanishing into the night (maybe if they were lucky, he might give them one training session, where he'd either potato them with punches or stretch them, as part of "paying their dues").

One of the guys whose money he disappeared with was a young Mark Calaway. When he wrestled in WCW as Mean Mark Callous, he finally caught up to Sawyer (who was part of the J-Tex Corporation that was briefly feuding with Flair and Sting, after Flair beat Funk in an "I Quit" match, and before the Horsemen reformed), and was only prevented from beating the poo poo out of him by ring announcer Gary Michael Capetta, who urged Calaway to think of his future in the business vs. getting in trouble with WCW and Turner Broadcasting management (who had purchased WCW only a short time previously) for fighting Sawyer.

Calaway later became known as the Undertaker. Buzz Sawyer died of a drug overdose in 1992.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Well Albert seems OK and I'm pretty sure he's not on roids. On the other hand, he was picked to replace the roided up psychopath that hazed people.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Speaking of wrestling "schools": back in the 1980s, journeyman wrestler and noted all-around rear end in a top hat Buzz Sawyer--in between taking liberties with rookies and jobbers in the ring and burning his bridges with nearly every promoter in the US due to his unpredictable behavior and propensity for getting in fights both backstage and at bars--would offer to "train" guys trying to break into the business. Said training consisted of taking a dude's money and then vanishing into the night (maybe if they were lucky, he might give them one training session, where he'd either potato them with punches or stretch them, as part of "paying their dues").

One of the guys whose money he disappeared with was a young Mark Calaway. When he wrestled in WCW as Mean Mark Callous, he finally caught up to Sawyer (who was part of the J-Tex Corporation that was briefly feuding with Flair and Sting, after Flair beat Funk in an "I Quit" match, and before the Horsemen reformed), and was only prevented from beating the poo poo out of him by ring announcer Gary Michael Capetta, who urged Calaway to think of his future in the business vs. getting in trouble with WCW and Turner Broadcasting management (who had purchased WCW only a short time previously) for fighting Sawyer.

Calaway later became known as the Undertaker. Buzz Sawyer died of a drug overdose in 1992.

Oh yeah didn't he do this to Magnum TA as well?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Oh yeah didn't he do this to Magnum TA as well?

Doesn't look like it, they both started around the same time (1978-79), and in different territories (Magnum in Florida and the Pacific Northwest, Sawyer in the Carolinas and Georgia).

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
most wrestling schools especialy in the territory days were just scams that would take someones money maybe teach them a few wrestling moves more likely just beat the poo poo out of them and call it wrestling and then just take the money and leave without really teaching them anything about pro wrestling

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
You can't learn pro wrestling, you gotta live pro wrestling

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Goldberg forgetting his pipe reminded me that Tank Abbott (huuuuge ufc rear end in a top hat who never won poo poo) was in the wcw and they told him to bring a weapon to the ring so he came out with a knife, put it up to his opponent's throat, and they had to go to commercial so they could fire him

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Speaking of Magnum T.A. though, I remember listening to this interview with Ole Anderson and Magnum's car crash came up, so Ole immediately starts talking about how small and frail he was, emphasizing that if he could fit his hand around a guy's wrist they are too weak to wrestle, and so no wonder he was severely injured in a car accident. Ole Anderson is a huge piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

AlmightyBob posted:

Goldberg forgetting his pipe reminded me that Tank Abbott (huuuuge ufc rear end in a top hat who never won poo poo) was in the wcw and they told him to bring a weapon to the ring so he came out with a knife, put it up to his opponent's throat, and they had to go to commercial so they could fire him

The commentators tried to cover for Tank by saying “He was trying to shave his beard!” but the dude didn’t even have stubble.