Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DynamicSloth posted:

..... He claims to have voted for Obama, Clinton, and Biden

all of these are lies because musk is a stupid southpark fuckboy that gets blackout high on election day (aka just another tuesday ). also for everything post 2016, isnt he regged in TX and their BoE records have it public info if a person "checked in" or not? and he never showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Cry for the coin that never was

For imagining, platinum trillion. Never minted.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

the_steve posted:

That, and hasn't she herself said (during her lucid moments) that they'd pretty much have to pry the job out of her cold dead hands?

What I was trying to say, but more delicately, is that her hands have a good chance of being cold & dead after a few more Senate vacations, when she no longer has to be wheeled through the hidden chambers or give the appearance of being at least somewhat sentient.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

all of these are lies because musk is a stupid southpark fuckboy that gets blackout high on election day (aka just another tuesday ). also for everything post 2016, isnt he regged in TX and their BoE records have it public info if a person "checked in" or not? and he never showed up.

I'm having trouble understanding this post; could you clarify your point(s)?

eta: Someone else translating it for me would be fine, too.

etaa: ok, I think I've got it: Musk is a liar who lies about voting. Still don't get the southpark fuckboi stuff or how it's relevant to the convo.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 24, 2023

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Willa Rogers posted:

What I was trying to say, but more delicately, is that her hands have a good chance of being cold & dead after a few more Senate vacations, when she no longer has to be wheeled through the hidden chambers or give the appearance of being at least somewhat sentient.

I mean, I believe you're discounting the possibility of some sort of corpse ventriloquism.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Daily Beast has it that he voted in 2020 but not in the 2022 general election, which is when he famously claimed he was going to start voting for Republicans. Is that what you're remembering?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s 100% abuse. She clearly hasn’t been competent to do this job for some time and everyone around her knows this. She’s not able to make those kinds of decisions.
IDK about abuse. It's really good for dementia patients to keep them as active as possible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

cat botherer posted:

IDK about abuse. It's really good for dementia patients to keep them as active as possible.
She clearly doesn’t know what’s going on and she’s stuck in a job

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

FlamingLiberal posted:

She clearly doesn’t know what’s going on and she’s stuck in a job
Dementia patients are often calmed by familiar surroundings. Of course she has little idea of what's going on, but it's also good to not push back too much when dementia patients express common delusions such as thinking they just talked to their grandmother or Robert Byrd.

In other news, some congressional Dems are angry at the Biden administration's debt messaging:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/05/24/democrats-angry-debt-limit-messaging/

quote:

Some Democrats, especially those who face tough reelections next year, have privately groused that the White House has bungled the messaging, is putting Democrats in a terrible negotiating position and could be forced to eat most of McCarthy's demands.

“I’ve never seen such a massive, surprising and consequential potential failure,” said one Democratic member of Congress who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to be candid. “We'll see where this comes out, but by definition we're only measuring success on how much we lost.”

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm having trouble understanding this post; could you clarify your point(s)?

eta: Someone else translating it for me would be fine, too.

etaa: ok, I think I've got it: Musk is a liar who lies about voting. Still don't get the southpark fuckboi stuff or how it's relevant to the convo.

"South Park Independent" is a common term the kind of too-smart-for the-room GenX dudes who insist both sides totally suck because the right wants awful things sude but the left is boring and annoying even when they're right, so really it's smart to not take sides in politics . After all, it's fundamentally just sports teams, right? But in the end they'll always go with the right because "you might have to change your attitudes and behavior for the sake of others" is a bridge too far.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"No they LIKE to be abused" has been tired since before the beginning of the previous century

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Killer robot posted:

"South Park Independent" is a common term the kind of too-smart-for the-room GenX dudes who insist both sides totally suck because the right wants awful things sude but the left is boring and annoying even when they're right, so really it's smart to not take sides in politics . After all, it's fundamentally just sports teams, right? But in the end they'll always go with the right because "you might have to change your attitudes and behavior for the sake of others" is a bridge too far.

they're republicans who like their money but don't want to feel bad about hurting other people.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

cat botherer posted:

Someone should just tell her that remote voting is a thing and give her little buttons to push from home instead of letting rapidly declining geriatrics make our national government even more intransigent and dysfunctional.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ok, understood, but what does being a fuckboi have to do with the way Musk votes?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
I think a big part of why the situation with Sen. Feinstein is intractable is not only that it's common practice to keep people "serving" for well passed their ability to functionally do so, but also that setting a ground rule that all in office need to be aware and cognizant of reality kind of rules out a lot of current senators at a baseline. One of the key factors about dementia is that people lose their ability to orient towards people, locations, and times, and ... I mean. It's not uncommon to come away from someone like MGT, Louie Gomert, or Ted Cruz and think "holy poo poo, this person has no tether to reality at all."

Kinda the same thing with why we can't really ban nazi rhetoric without banning a large part of republican talking points. And then there's also the issue that arises from restrictions like this where people with accreditation power can make it impossible for certain people (or certain types of people) from ever meeting whatever standards end up getting set. I mean, I'm sure it's possible to have a competency test that doesn't end up being used to keep the 'wrong' people out of power, but historically speaking we're not very good at that.

Willa Rogers posted:

Ok, understood, but what does being a fuckboi have to do with the way Musk votes?
I think it's "southpark fuckboi" as a whole thought. Essentially he's a rich entitled moron whose political opinions can be summed up by an extremely shallow and comical "everyone's dumb but me" libertarianism that was more or less popularized by South Park. Most of those people have since waddled off into hard right territory because you can only ironically punch down for so long before it just becomes something incorporated into your personality.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 24, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Tim Scott gave a long sit-down interview with NBC.

Most of it was fluff, but some interesting statements.

Invading/bombing Mexico seems to be a mainstream Republican belief now.

quote:

TOM LLAMAS: In your speech you-- you mentioned what sounded like using the U.S. military to take out cartels. Did I understand that correctly?

SENATOR TIM SCOTT: Well, here-- here’s what I said. What we should do is whatever it takes to secure our southern border and stop the Mexican cartels from bringing fentanyl across the border--

TOM LLAMAS: Would you wanna use the U.S. military to attack cartels--

TOM LLAMAS: But are you advocating for using U.S. military--

(OVERTALK)

TOM LLAMAS: --to invade cartels in Mexico--

SENATOR TIM SCOTT: Should we--

TOM LLAMAS: --on Mexico’s land?

SENATOR TIM SCOTT: --should we provide the resources necessary on our border to protect our citizens? Absolutely. Should we say exactly what we’re gonna do? Of course not.

TOM LLAMAS: But-- but you wouldn’t be against using the U.S. military to-- to take out cartels in Mexico? I’m trying to understand.

SENATOR TIM SCOTT: No, I know you are. I-- I’m simply saying that all options are on the table to protect American lives.

Scott doesn't know why he is running for President or what he offers that is different from Trump.

quote:

TOM LLAMAS: So explain that a little more to me, ‘cause it sounds like you’re trying to draw a contrast there. What will you offer voters that former President Trump will not?

SENATOR TIM SCOTT: Well, the question is who do I-- I’m running for really period. I plan to win. So the question is what do the voters want in their president? They want someone who can persuade on the issues that matter the most to them.

TOM LLAMAS: Okay. Going back to-- to the race for president here, strange, you know, I’ve never seen-- I’ve-- I’ve covered President Trump for a long time, g I’ve never seen him do this, but he sent a tweet saying, “Good luck to Senator Tim Scott in entering the Republican presidential primary race.” He’s complimenting you. “It’s rapidly loading up with lots of people and Tim is a big step up from Ron DeSanctimonious, who is totally unlikable.” It doesn’t sound like former President Trump is worried about you.

SENATOR TIM SCOTT: Well, I’ll say this, I-- I’d appreciate his vote as well. So the truth of the matter is that I do think that the power of persuasion is necessary for the next president. I happen to look forward to being that next president, and so I will take all the votes I can get from anyone, anywhere, anytime, as I head into this election.

Still fumbling on abortion and hasn't figured out a better response after his initial bumble on this last month.

He somehow rambles on and gives an even worse answer than he originally did and answers the reporter's question about a woman asking him for control over her body by saying they are "stuck on abortion."

quote:

TOM LLAMAS: --I wanna start there. There’s been some back and forth. I wanna know what-- and you’ve spoken so much in the campaign trail about abortion, and yet today in your announcement the-- there were only a few words it sounded like. Where do you stand on abortion?

SENATOR TIM SCOTT: Well, I believe that life has intrinsic value, because it comes from god. I have a 100% pro life voting record. I’m 100% pro life conservative. As president of the United States I would sign the most conservative legislation, pro life legislation that can get to my desk.

Here’s the issue though. Nothing can get to my desk unless we first win the hearts and minds of the American people. And what that leaves as a consequence is what the Democrats did just last year, they voted for, in the Senate, allowing for abortions until the day of birth.

No Americans that I know of agree with that. And so having the ability to have a serious conversation with the American people about the culture of life, and having a chance to win over skeptics to my point of view is the only way you actually have a chance to have any legislation pass through the United States Congress.

quote:

TOM LLAMAS: Governor DeSantis signed into law a six week ban for abortion. Do you think that’s a good idea?

SENATOR TIM SCOTT: Listen, one of the things that we have to wrestle with is how do we protect the culture of life? I celebrate states that actually get the culture of life in the focus and get something done. As a nation we’re gonna have to have a serious conversation, first about how we find a path through Congress. As president that’s the g-- goal, but to find the path--

quote:

TOM LLAMAS: Where-- where is Governor Tim Scott? There’s been 12 weeks in some states, six weeks in other states. Where do you stand?

SENATOR TIM SCOTT: Well, I obviously stand on the legislation that has been before me. I am a cosponsor of legislation on a 20 week (UNINTEL) bill. The question that we’re asking, however, is not about me as a United States Senator. It’s about me as president of the United States.

So in order for us to have the most conservative, pro life legislation pass through Congress, we’re gonna have to first have a serious conversation with the American people so that we can have legislation pro-- proposed and pass. Until that happens--

quote:

TOM LLAMAS: Former President Trump has said the six week, or at least he’s signaled that six week ban, it may be too harsh. What do you say to that? Is it too harsh? Is six weeks too much?

SENATOR TIM SCOTT: I’ll just repeat what I’ve already said, which is having states that appreciate the culture of life is a good thing. Having Congress pass something so that I, as president of the United States, have a chance to sign it will first require us to win the hearts and minds of--

quote:

TOM LLAMAS: If you had a chance, now according to your plan if it went through Congress, would you be in favor of a federal ban on abortion?

SENATOR TIM SCOTT: We won’t see legislation like that come through Congress if we don’t first win the hearts and minds of the American people.

TOM LLAMAS: But do you think that would be a good idea? You wouldn’t be opposed to that?

SENATOR TIM SCOTT: I’m not suggesting-- I’m only saying what I’m saying. So this is--

TOM LLAMAS: But I’m trying to understand what you’re saying, yeah--

SENATOR TIM SCOTT: I-- what-- this is very-- let me-- let me say it very clearly. If we don’t win the American people on either side of this debate for life, nothing gets through Congress. What legislation do we have today that gets through Congress?

quote:

TOM LLAMAS: What would you say to a female voter who says, “I like Senator Tim Scott. I wanna turn the page from Trump, but I don’t want him messing with my body”?

SENATOR TIM SCOTT: I would say, (LAUGH) this is a simple conversation, until we have the power of persuasion there is not a legislative path forward.

TOM LLAMAS: Well, I don’t even under-- I’m sorry, Senator, I’m trying to follow you. Like, explain that to me. A woman says, “I like your policies. I like your message. I wanna move past Trump. I don’t-- I don’t wanna-- you to-- to infringe on my-- my abortion rights.”

Republicans have had a very tough time. They had a tough time in the midterms. We’ve seen state after state sort of reject harsh abortion restrictions. I wanna know what you would do and how-- how you’d be able to win both in a primary and a general election.

SENATOR TIM SCOTT: Yeah, well, I think my message actually works. You’re stuck on abortion, I’m not.

My favorite bit is one of the fluff questions where he says that he only started believing in God once he missed 6 weeks of football season in high school. That was proof that God existed and was directing him to something bigger.

quote:

TOM LLAMAS: Can you share with-- can you share with me the moment where you gave your life to Christ?

SENATOR TIM SCOTT: Yeah. So here’s-- the moment that matters the most was (UNINTEL) I had a car accident. I was driving my car down the interstate in 1982. I found myself going through the windshield, coming back in the car, and devastated. Devastated. Lost six weeks of my senior football season. And for me, football was my entire life.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/read-transcript-nbc-news-exclusive-interview-tim-scott-rcna85675

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ershalim posted:

I think a big part of why the situation with Sen. Feinstein is intractable is not only that it's common practice to keep people "serving" for well passed their ability to functionally do so, but also that setting a ground rule that all in office need to be aware and cognizant of reality kind of rules out a lot of current senators at a baseline. One of the key factors about dementia is that people lose their ability to orient towards people, locations, and times, and ... I mean. It's not uncommon to come away from someone like MGT, Louie Gomert, or Ted Cruz and think "holy poo poo, this person has no tether to reality at all."

Kinda the same thing with why we can't really ban nazi rhetoric without banning a large part of republican talking points. And then there's also the issue that arises from restrictions like this where people with accreditation power can make it impossible for certain people (or certain types of people) from ever meeting whatever standards end up getting set. I mean, I'm sure it's possible to have a competency test that doesn't end up being used to keep the 'wrong' people out of power, but historically speaking we're not very good at that.

Bluntly, there needs to be an age limit, and it's loving absurd that ageism can only go one way and there are minimum age limits for service. Wonder if that has something to do with who makes the laws!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Scott doesn't know why he is running for President or what he offers that is different from Trump.

Still fumbling on abortion and hasn't figured out a better response after his initial bumble on this last month.

He somehow rambles on and gives an even worse answer than he originally did and answers the reporter's question about a woman asking him for control over her body by saying they are "stuck on abortion."

My favorite bit is one of the fluff questions where he says that he only started believing in God once he missed 6 weeks of football season in high school. That was proof that God existed and was directing him to something bigger.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/read-transcript-nbc-news-exclusive-interview-tim-scott-rcna85675

What a bumbling clown, buffoon. Hardly deep analysis I know but I can’t read that mess and think anything else.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

first we bring back the spanish flu, then we bring back the pancho villa expeditions. a trench based war in europe on a scale not seen for generations is being fought by a decaying colonial power worried about the implications of a large bloc alliance opposed to its expansionist interests. if we're going to just repeat a previous century, the 20th seems like a very poor choice

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The GOP looked at the Russian invasion of Ukraine and said, ‘can we have some of that?’

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

first we bring back the spanish flu, then we bring back the pancho villa expeditions. a trench based war in europe on a scale not seen for generations is being fought by a decaying colonial power worried about the implications of a large bloc alliance opposed to its expansionist interests. if we're going to just repeat a previous century, the 20th seems like a very poor choice

Maybe the discovery of Relativity2: 2Real will do something useful enough to make up for the first half of the bad century with all the genocides and whatnot.

Professor Beetus posted:

Bluntly, there needs to be an age limit, and it's loving absurd that ageism can only go one way and there are minimum age limits for service. Wonder if that has something to do with who makes the laws!

I'm kinda down with that idea, but I think because DC is so cliquey and so much is done through networking and established deep ties through lobbyists and special interest megadonors you run the risk of a lot of people just simply not being able to compete if they don't get in really early. If we cut all that poo poo out then yeah, sure. I think term limits will make the problem of power and wealth concentration in politics a little better if we establish it and wait like 3 generations, but that sucks. Personally I don't think the problem gets solved without the underlying capital structure being curbed or expunged. But I'm a wild unreasonable extremist, so. :v:

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
US versus Mexico could be the next forever war? Didn't see that coming.

How would the cartels handle something like that. Don't they also have their own military forces also?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Chaos like that would probably be great for the cartels, and I'm sure the CIA could get a good taste too.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ershalim posted:

I'm kinda down with that idea, but I think because DC is so cliquey and so much is done through networking and established deep ties through lobbyists and special interest megadonors you run the risk of a lot of people just simply not being able to compete if they don't get in really early. If we cut all that poo poo out then yeah, sure. I think term limits will make the problem of power and wealth concentration in politics a little better if we establish it and wait like 3 generations, but that sucks. Personally I don't think the problem gets solved without the underlying capital structure being curbed or expunged. But I'm a wild unreasonable extremist, so. :v:

Oh yeah, it would absolutely need to be in conjunction with a huge number of other election reforms in order to truly rectify the problem. But it is a significant problem in both mental incompetence, and the fact that the incompetence leads to people who have never been elected in charge of the senator's actual business and decisions. Or you know, sponsoring whatever bills the donors are putting in front of them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bombing/invading Mexico is an absolutely insane idea. It most likely wouldn't dramatically impact the cartels unless you keep it up nonstop forever - which nobody is going to do. It would probably just ensure that the cartels operate out of border towns they basically control already so that the U.S. couldn't bomb them.

Mexico would flip out and cancel voluntary participation in the border/customs management at minimum.

I'm pretty sure that the idea of invading/bombing Mexico becoming a mainstream Republican belief is because Trump was trying to one up everyone on immigration 9 years ago and said he would invade Mexico. So everyone else slowly latched on to the idea and it somehow became a thing. It is literally a policy that came into existence because Trump was trying to win a "I would be a million, no, billion, no, infinity times better!" contest.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Much like Tim Scott, I'm not really sure what Tim Scott is trying to offer or really even running on.

It just seems like a mishmash of vague policies and a refusal to confirm any of them. And then, when pressed to be more specific, he just says, "I'm so good at persuading" and closes the series of questions by telling the interviewer "they are stuck on abortion" and not going to try and convince him.

Just a wild decision.

DeSantis has a short time window and the rest of the other Republican candidates are no-hopers or people who haven't had a career in office for decades, so they at least have a reason to jump on the pyre. Scott had a career in Senate leadership and could have hung around for a while. It makes no sense why he decided to run and even he doesn't seem to know.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i guess there's something to be said for the existential dread that must manifest when a career politician realizes they probably can't be nominated even in the weakest field in their lifetime. jumping into the contest with no actual plan or hope to quiet the voice in their head telling them that they'll never be able to hook that shiny brass ring

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Much like Tim Scott, I'm not really sure what Tim Scott is trying to offer or really even running on.

It just seems like a mishmash of vague policies and a refusal to confirm any of them. And then, when pressed to be more specific, he just says, "I'm so good at persuading" and closes the series of questions by telling the interviewer "they are stuck on abortion" and not going to try and convince him.

Just a wild decision.

DeSantis has a short time window and the rest of the other Republican candidates are no-hopers or people who haven't had a career in office for decades, so they at least have a reason to jump on the pyre. Scott had a career in Senate leadership and could have hung around for a while. It makes no sense why he decided to run and even he doesn't seem to know.

Soft transition to overpaid talking head

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tim Scott apparently has Larry Ellison as his sugar daddy primary funder so I’m sure those fat checks are what made him run

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Let’s hope Desantis gets upstaged by Tina Turner dying right in the middle of his announcement. Not that she was in the room but, you know.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I am quieter Trump and that means I am sane, please vote for me?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

I AM GRANDO posted:

Let’s hope Desantis gets upstaged by Tina Turner dying right in the middle of his announcement. Not that she was in the room but, you know.

Wait, what?

Edit: gently caress

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gort posted:

Wait, what?

Edit: gently caress

No info on cause of death, but she was in her 80's and had cancer, a stroke, and kidney problems all in the last few years. Age + all those complications probably what did it.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1661450722729250817

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
drat. respect to her

at least it wasn't the simpsons thread

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Microsoft found out that China had uploaded malware through a U.S. Air Force base network in Guam that has been spread across many different private and public networks, including home routers.

The malware is a backdoor program that allows remote access to the servers and networks the infected devices are connected to. They don't believe it has been used for any offensive attacks, but has been copying information. They discovered it when someone was apparently attempting to make changes to the network at a U.S. port computer system. The malware was installed with great stealth, sometimes flowing through routers and other common internet-connected consumer devices, to make the intrusion harder to track over a long period of time.

Microsoft and the NSA will be publishing a joint document on how to check networks and block the malware today.

The U.S. has adopted a new policy of making any network security flaws public as soon as possible to attempt to burn the hacking networks instead of monitoring them because hackers were generally able to stay ahead and monitoring provided minimal useful information.

There is also a process being implemented to update cybersecurity protocols at major U.S. infrastructure across the country. This process began a year ago, but they are attempting to speed it up and expand now. They are expected to require private power plants and other private facilities that are deemed "critical infrastructure" to adopt the standards and upgrades on a faster timetable, but exactly when is unclear.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1661454921835728911

quote:

Around the time that the Federal Bureau of Investigation was examining the equipment recovered from the wreckage of the Chinese spy balloon shot down off the South Carolina coast in February, American intelligence agencies and Microsoft detected what they feared was a more worrisome intruder: mysterious computer code that has been popping up in telecommunications systems in Guam and elsewhere in the United States.

The code, which Microsoft said was installed by a Chinese government hacking group, raised alarms because Guam, with its Pacific ports and vast American air base, would be a centerpiece of any American military response to an invasion or blockade of Taiwan. It was installed with great stealth, sometimes flowing through routers and other common internet-connected consumer devices, to make the intrusion harder to track.

But unlike the balloon that fascinated Americans as it performed pirouettes over sensitive nuclear sites, the computer code could not be shot down on live television. So instead, Microsoft and the National Security Agency were set on Wednesday to publish details of the code that would make it possible for corporate users, manufacturers and others to detect and remove it.

The code is called a “web shell,” in this case a malicious script that enables remote access to a server. Home routers are particularly vulnerable, especially older models that have not had updated software and protections.

Microsoft called the hacking group “Volt Typhoon” and said that it was part of a state-sponsored Chinese effort aimed at not only critical infrastructure such as communications, electric and gas utilities, but also maritime operations and transportation. The intrusions appeared, for now, to be an espionage campaign. But the Chinese could use the code, which is designed to pierce firewalls, to enable destructive attacks, if they choose.

So far, Microsoft says, there is no evidence that the Chinese group has used the access for any offensive attacks. Unlike Russian groups, the Chinese intelligence and military hackers usually prioritize espionage.

In interviews, administration officials said they believed the code was part of a vast Chinese intelligence collection effort that spans cyberspace, outer space and, as Americans discovered with the balloon incident, the lower atmosphere.

The Biden administration has declined to discuss what the F.B.I. found as it examined the equipment recovered from the balloon. But the craft — better described as a huge aerial vehicle — apparently included specialized radars and communications interception devices that the F.B.I. has been examining since the balloon was shot down.

It is unclear whether the government’s silence about its finding from the balloon is motivated by a desire to keep the Chinese government from knowing what the United States has learned or to get past the diplomatic breach that followed the incursion.

On Sunday, speaking at a news conference in Hiroshima, Japan, President Biden referred to how the balloon incident had paralyzed the already frosty exchanges between Washington and Beijing.

“And then this silly balloon that was carrying two freight cars’ worth of spying equipment was flying over the United States,” he told reporters, “and it got shot down, and everything changed in terms of talking to one another.”

He predicted that relations would “begin to thaw very shortly.”

China has never acknowledged hacking into American networks, even in the biggest example of all: the theft of security clearance files of roughly 22 million Americans — including six million sets of fingerprints — from the Office of Personnel Management during the Obama administration. That exfiltration of data took the better part of a year, and resulted in an agreement between President Barack Obama and President Xi Jinping that resulted in a brief decline in malicious Chinese cyberactivity.

On Wednesday, China sent another warning to its companies to be alert to American hacking. And there has been plenty of that, too: In documents released by Edward Snowden, the former N.S.A. contractor, there was evidence of American efforts to hack into Huawei, the Chinese telecommunications giant, and into military and leadership targets.

Telecommunications networks are key targets for hackers, and the system in Guam is particularly important to China because military communications often piggyback on commercial networks.

Tom Burt, the executive who oversees Microsoft’s threat intelligence unit, said in an interview that the company’s analysts — many of them veterans of the National Security Agency and other intelligence agencies — had found the code “while investigating intrusion activity impacting a U.S. port.” As they traced back the intrusion, they found other networks that were hit, “including some in the telecommunications sector in Guam.”

Microsoft planned to publish a blog post on Wednesday with detailed indicators about the code, to allow the operators of critical infrastructure to take preventive steps.

In a coordinated announcement, the N.S.A. is expected to publish a technical report about Chinese intrusions into a wide swath of American critical infrastructure. The U.S. report is not expected to refer directly to the Guam incident reported by Microsoft, but it will describe a broader range of Chinese-origin threats.

The Biden administration has been racing to enforce newly created minimum cybersecurity standards for critical infrastructure. After a Russian ransomware attack on Colonial Pipeline in 2021 that resulted in an interruption of gasoline, diesel and airplane fuel flow on the East Coast, the administration has used the authorities of the Transportation Security Administration — which regulates pipelines — to force private-sector utilities to follow a series of cybersecurity mandates.

A similar process is now underway for water supplies, airports and soon hospitals, all of which hackers have targeted in recent times.

The National Security Agency’s report is part of a relatively new U.S. government move to publish such data quickly in hopes of burning the Chinese operations. In years past, the United States usually withheld such information — sometimes classifying it — and shared it with only a select few companies or organizations. But that almost always assured that the hackers could stay well ahead of the government.

In this case, it was the focus on Guam that particularly seized the attention of officials who are assessing China’s capabilities — and its willingness — to attack or choke off Taiwan. Mr. Xi has ordered the People’s Liberation Army to be capable of taking the island by 2027. But the C.I.A. director, William J. Burns, has noted to Congress that the order “does not mean he has decided to conduct an invasion.”

In the dozens of U.S. tabletop exercises conducted in recent years to map out what such an attack might look like, one of China’s first anticipated moves would be to cut off American communications and slow the United States’ ability to respond. So the exercises envision attacks on satellite and ground communications, especially around American installations where military assets would be mobilized.

None is bigger than Guam, where Andersen Air Force Base would be the launching point for many of the Air Force missions to help defend the island, and a Navy port is crucial for American submarines.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 24, 2023

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Just a wild decision.

Trump needs a new VP and Kari Lake is a loser. He'll pick the sell out from South Carolina so he can go "see I'm not a racist".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Microsoft found out that China had uploaded malware through a U.S. Air Force base network in Guam that has been spread across many different private and public networks, including home routers.

The malware is a backdoor program that allows remote access to the servers and networks the infected devices are connected to. They don't believe it has been used for any offensive attacks, but has been copying information. They discovered it when someone was apparently attempting to make changes to the network at a U.S. port computer system. The malware was installed with great stealth, sometimes flowing through routers and other common internet-connected consumer devices, to make the intrusion harder to track over a long period of time.

Microsoft and the NSA will be publishing a joint document on how to check networks and block the malware today.

The U.S. has adopted a new policy of making any network security flaws public as soon as possible to attempt to burn the hacking networks instead of monitoring them because hackers were generally able to stay ahead and monitoring provided minimal useful information.

There is also a process being implemented to update cybersecurity protocols at major U.S. infrastructure across the country. This process began a year ago, but they are attempting to speed it up and expand now. They are expected to require private power plants and other private facilities that are deemed "critical infrastructure" to adopt the standards and upgrades on a faster timetable, but exactly when is unclear.

“Execute floss dance 66”, I intone ominously onto Tiktok, triggering the end of global telecommunications.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The interview was "stuck on abortion" because the candidate wouldn't answer the simple of question of "would you sign a bill that says ______________ if it were to cross your desk?" It's a hypothetical, but relatively simple question and Scott just kept saying "culture of life" and "persuading the American people".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s 100% abuse. She clearly hasn’t been competent to do this job for some time and everyone around her knows this. She’s not able to make those kinds of decisions.

There's no provision for someone else to make the decision for her. Whether she's competent to make the decision or not, it's effectively impossible to forcibly remove her before 2024 if she insists on saying.

Bombing/invading Mexico is an absolutely insane idea. It most likely wouldn't dramatically impact the cartels unless you keep it up nonstop forever - which nobody is going to do. It would probably just ensure that the cartels operate out of border towns they basically control already so that the U.S. couldn't bomb them.

Mexico would flip out and cancel voluntary participation in the border/customs management at minimum.

I'm pretty sure that the idea of invading/bombing Mexico becoming a mainstream Republican belief is because Trump was trying to one up everyone on immigration 9 years ago and said he would invade Mexico. So everyone else slowly latched on to the idea and it somehow became a thing. It is literally a policy that came into existence because Trump was trying to win a "I would be a million, no, billion, no, infinity times better!" contest.

The US has been normalizing the idea of using military force among drug traffickers for ages. For a long time, we've pushed countries in Central and South America to take more aggressive measures, culminating in things like the Colombian aerial herbicide spraying campaign. And in Afghanistan, the military was deeply involved in anti-opium operations. During the Trump campaign, the US military even resorted to carrying out an aerial bombing campaign against suspected drug operations. Combine that with increasingly scary (and nonsensical) rhetoric about drugs and cartels from right-wing leaders using them as a boogeyman to justify border crackdowns, and it's not hard to see how we end up at "invading Mexico".

I'm sure they don't expect it to be a serious war, of course. Another thing that's long been normalized in the US is the idea that we can just go freely bomb whatever we want with no repercussions because no country would ever dare to challenge the unstoppable US military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

This is the type of stuff that worries more than anything as the nature of what constitutes warfare moves into the digital age.

I'm 100% convinced that "WW3" or "the next 9/11" is going to be an attack on our digital infrastructure.

Banks, utilities, energy and things like that. Seems like it's only a matter of time before something very serious breaks through and really cripples a giant part of our modern society and it seems to me that it'll basically come down to millions of people not being able to withdrawal money, fill up their tank or turn on their your lights rather than anything like a huge bomb.

There's not one facet of our lives that's not dependent on the internet and all someone would need is a serious virus aimed at out largest banks or power companies to quickly send us into Lord of the FLies territory