Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The thread title mentions Ascend but I am constantly forgetting what Rewind exists. Outside of shrine puzzles I feel like I've barely touched it. I think the only time I've activated it outside of a shrine was when accidentally turning on a just-made car and watching it zoom off without me.

What useful or funny tricks are yall using it for?

Rewind really clicked for me during (Goron MQ) the Fire Temple boss: rewinding rocks is clutch for escaping one attack and turning another into an opportunity to stun it trivially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The thread title mentions Ascend but I am constantly forgetting what Rewind exists. Outside of shrine puzzles I feel like I've barely touched it. I think the only time I've activated it outside of a shrine was when accidentally turning on a just-made car and watching it zoom off without me.

What useful or funny tricks are yall using it for?

The Legend of Zelda: I did not Recall that I could Ascend

I mostly end up using Recall to make moving platforms by combining it with Ultrahand, but once or twice I've had something fall down a pit and used Recall to get it back. I probably still don't use it enough.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 24, 2023

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
What I’m doing a lot more compared to BOTW is not going into shrines. I’m just activating them and when I’m done side questing then maybe I’ll do a few if I need more hearts since I have 2 stamina dials and some good radish meals/meat and armor upgrades to keep me from not dying too much.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Fortis posted:

The Legend of Zelda: I did not Recall that I could Ascend
Yes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zore posted:

Rewind is easily the only/most useful combat power. You can use it to break Like Like armor by sending their rocks back at them, throw Moblins back into Bokoblins that threw them, Talus arms back into them, reverse explosive barrels or giant spike ball traps, turn that Flux Construct attack when then go into UFO mode into an elevator and you can do some amazingly dumb stuff by swinging around a big log then reversing it and having it bully a Lynel/

This doesn’t actually work, you can’t use recall directly on enemies. Maybe it works if you target the Bokoblin’s weapon but you can’t target the Bokoblin itself. Btw Mobilns are the big ones, Bokoblins are small.

And ohhh that’s how you’re supposed to deal with the Flux constructs in UFO mode. I’ve just been using springs/rocket shields to get up there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

My favorite trick with Rewind has been using it to break puzzles. “Oh, you want me to slam my head against the wall, five beers into a bender, on your clever physics puzzle?” Hold my beer because I’ve got to use ultrahand to pull a platform as high as I can take it, climb to the next level, hit rewind on the platform at the apex of its travel path, and catch it just before it falls.

The fact that breaking the game is a feature and not a bug is :piss:

Yeah I've been doing this a ton and it rules. The full rotational range of ultrahand also lets you take objects from early puzzle rooms into later ones that the devs clearly did not expect you to be able to drag along, which can trivialize some stuff as well. There was one dungeon where I think you were supposed to cut the string on a ball being suspended over a chasm and then quickly grab it with ultrahand/reverse it, but instead I just maneuvered some platforms through the doorway from the last room, glued them together, and made a floor for the ball to land on.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Finished the game. Enjoyed the hell out of it. Giant boomerang is the best weapon.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sydin posted:

Yeah I've been doing this a ton and it rules. The full rotational range of ultrahand also lets you take objects from early puzzle rooms into later ones that the devs clearly did not expect you to be able to drag along, which can trivialize some stuff as well. There was one dungeon where I think you were supposed to cut the string on a ball being suspended over a chasm and then quickly grab it with ultrahand/reverse it, but instead I just maneuvered some platforms through the doorway from the last room, glued them together, and made a floor for the ball to land on.
I usually don’t go for breaking a game over my knee. I always want to play it “as the designers intended” but, with the myriad ways you can use the abilities to make the game your bitch, it seems like the developers made cheese a feature and not a bug. I appreciate it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All the glitches in this game work in the players favor. There are just new ones being discovered all the time and none of them game breaking or detrimental, just nice little treats for players who don't want to farm something or want to get around a little faster.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I usually don’t go for breaking a game over my knee. I always want to play it “as the designers intended” but, with the myriad ways you can use the abilities to make the game your bitch, it seems like the developers made cheese a feature and not a bug. I appreciate it.

Yeah I just try not to do Recall platforming because that kinda breaks most puzzles. But if I find another creative way that isn’t “intended” I’ll totally use it. I do usually at least try to figure out what the actual solution is first though

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Imagine if, ten years from now, Nintendo and its developers start saying that many of the bugs in this game were actually intentionally baked in. I wouldn’t be surprised. Nintendo, as a company, seems very happy to deliver the exact things their fans want.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I did around an hour of the new duplication trick and found out if you try to do it with bomb flowers from any height above 1’ or so they blow up.

And if you didn’t save in that time all your progress is gone :v:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

they're a lot more common in this game than they were in the last one and while I haven't upgraded All The Armor, none of the armor I actually cared about used the gems, so I don't think I'd worry much about selling stuff off

I quite like the amber earrings, and amber barely sells for money anyway.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I did around an hour of the new duplication trick and found out if you try to do it with bomb flowers from any height above 1’ or so they blow up.

Find a shallow pond

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday.

I don't know what I expected.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I learned about fusing bomb to you shield then shield surfing for a big jump and it breaks shrines in half

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

sonatinas posted:

Find a shallow pond

I’m doing it off of the tiny platform next to the merchant in Tarry Town and it seems safe, but thanks I’ll definitely keep that in mind. Even the medium platform next to the artificial cave in town is too high to do it from.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Supremezero posted:

... did you TOUCH the crystal, or just haul it around with ultrahand? Because touching the crystal is just another way to start the shrine quests.

Oh lol, that must've been it. It wasn't intentional, but I only used Ultrahand on that one. First time I've run into the crystal before the shrine, it never entered my mind that picking it up might be different than that so I just assumed that the quest could only be started at the shrine end.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
PSA: For anyone heading through Death Mountain Depths early(or wandering off course while going to Korok Forest Depths like I did), you can douse yourself in water to keep from setting on fire. Any water elemental object or appropriate Zonai device will do. The water works on a timer, starts evaporating off of Link's body until you douse again. It'll keep you alive though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jose Oquendo posted:

Once you get the 5th sage the depths become a bit easier to explore.

Some of the islands require a lot of work to get to, pushing your use of zonai devices to the limit.

On that note, need a bit of advice here.

I'm trying to take down a King Gleeok. During the final phase when it goes way up in the sky, what's the best way to get up there? I know you can use the wind gusts it creates via lightning, but I can never seem to get up high enough.

Rewind the icicles.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Tunicate posted:

If the zonai glider can be used you could probably manage that

Stack 20 spring blocks together and climb on top. That'll do it. Or construct a catapult or launcher while munching food that gives extra hearts.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Can you buy bomb flowers anywhere?

I just assumed once I had the cash, most things like bombs and arrows could just be stocked from the shops.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kin posted:

I just assumed once I had the cash, most things like bombs and arrows could just be stocked from the shops.

You can get a few at a time from Tarrey Town.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I have no fuckin clue how people have finished this game unless they took two weeks off work or just beelined the story

:edit: the last two days I have played from 9am to 6pm on the other monitor while I ‘work’ from home and I feel like I’ve got approx 1% further into the game

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Stack 20 spring blocks together and climb on top. That'll do it. Or construct a catapult or launcher while munching food that gives extra hearts.

I don’t think stacking springs does anything after 3-4, besides the extra height from the spring itself

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

They're frequently found in the Depths. You can spend Poes to buy them from the relevant vendors as well. Stock up on Puffshrooms and Muddlebuds while you're down there as well.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Astro7x posted:

So does TotK have the ability to just speed run to the final boss like BOTW? Like what is the minimum you have to do to beat the game?

I think so, I found out where that fucker is hiding two days ago, but I'm too weak to do touch him.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

RatHat posted:

I don’t think stacking springs does anything after 3-4, besides the extra height from the spring itself

Yes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Fire chus do the same thing by the way, though not as damaging.

Dupe some fairies first to be safe lol

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rewind the icicles.

Holy poo poo I can't believe I forgot about that. I fought one of them on the surface and I did just that. How the gently caress did I forget.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

hatty posted:

I’m still searching for a cool looking hat 80 hours later. Links naked head with his wild hair has looked better than everything I’ve found

I'm still looking to complete my Ocarina of Time set, I can't find that drat hat. Gotta rep the best Link, after all

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm salty that they made the old amiibo armor Officially Obtainable In Game but you still can't dye it

(I'm more salty that you can't use the Fashionista to transmog armor)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I'm salty that they made the old amiibo armor Officially Obtainable In Game but you still can't dye it

(I'm more salty that you can't use the Fashionista to transmog armor)

I've been doing all the Zelda amiibos every day since launch and I'm still missing some things.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Zore posted:

turn that Flux Construct attack when then go into UFO mode into an elevator

This is great. I've been throwing down a spring every time I fight a construct like a chump.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
One thing that is still impressing me: This game just gets darkness. The light/dark mechanic in the depths works better than any other game I can recall. I'm not sure how, but lighting the way the light works feels "natural" in a way that I don't think I've encountered in a game.

It may help that I'm just playing on a first gen switch, or an old, 24" LED tv. On bigger, better screens, the seams probably show.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
I might be very stupid. Messages from an ancient era side adventure: I can't find the one from the island floating above hateno bay. It looks like there's a hole in the middle like the other ones where the column & base have fallen out, but it's not on the ground below or anywhere nearby I can find. Is it on loving eventide island or something?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's still pitch black on my 4k TV and my OLED Switch, besides the gloom and the occasional landmark.

Lighting up the Depths is weirdly fun.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Found all the dragon's tears
jfc this version of Zelda just can't catch a drat break :smith:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What gets the most air

Bomb barrel shield, bombfruit shield, rocket shield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Mega64 posted:

It's still pitch black on my 4k TV and my OLED Switch, besides the gloom and the occasional landmark.

Lighting up the Depths is weirdly fun.

The depths are awesome on a oled tv.