Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Lol is the USN already replacing the Virginia class?

It will be commissioned in the mid-2030s if not later, so yeah a bit theoretical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Lol is the USN already replacing the Virginia class?

Nah, still building new ones of various block into the 2040s.

The replacement is kind of a “what do we think we’d need in 2050?” level of development so far.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Bar Ran Dun posted:

for a sense of comparison…

MSC ordered five containerships back in 2019 for 762 million. a new normal sized containership is 150-250 million depending on specifics built in an Asian yard. A recent big Evergreen ship 24,000 teu plus built in China half a billion to 550 million.

Three new Matson vessels (the aloha class ships) 4,000 teu each will be a billion together.

I guess what I’m saying is it’s about 50% to 100% more at a US yard.

The Aloha class is a pair of cargo ships built by Philly Shipyard for Matson. The vessels are the largest of their type to be built in the United States.

lmao

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

The Aloha class is a pair of cargo ships built by Philly Shipyard for Matson. The vessels are the largest of their type to be built in the United States.

lmao

they’re going to build three is my understanding. the pair was built already that the two can-RO Kanaloa class ships. I’ve been on the new Lurline and the Daniel K. Inouye/Kaimana Hila. they’ve actually built a fair number of vessels recently.

and yeah they are relatively small. but they’re basically customized to Matson’s needs for the service. one couldn’t just slot in a foreign standardized build on the Hawaii service vessels. the other thing is they’ll get forty years out of most of these new vessels. The Kauai was still sailing a few years ago and it was a 1980 build. a normal ship lifespan is 20-25.

but this stuff is like tenths of a percent of world capacity. it’s basically irrelevant.

something like a carrier is 100,000 + metric tons displacement. it is possible to build larger ships in the US. it just doesn’t make sense to.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/WarshipCam/status/1660740976942501893?s=20

new stealth warship technology causes enemy missile seekers to misidentify them as a vintagey wrought iron fence

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like I'm going to get tetanus just from looking at that thing

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
im guessing you're being cheeky but just in case, non-rusty metal is just as good for getting tetanus. the rust/tetanus association is probably just because it's caused by bacteria that tends to live in soil (but also seems to show up all over the place) and any sharp metal in soil is probably going to be pretty rusty

it's usually kind of a freak infection for people with non-compromised immunity. usually

environmental bacterial/other pathogen infections are all kind of freaky. poo poo like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrio_vulnificus?useskin=vector is just chilling all over the place and if it catches your immune system slipping it will loving destroy you

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Didn't the navy used to have a reputation for keeping things spic and span and constant cleaning, repairing and painting?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
that's kind of the sailor ideal in general. im not sure if the us navy ever actually did that as a whole for any length of time. different ships/commands probably did. i think most of the rusty ship stuff in the current surface navy is from loving up crew/work schedules. too few sailors, too many hours per sailor, no sleep, etc. same issue with all the crashing.

a few of the new ships have more technical corrosion issues, but that's not why arleigh burkes an poo poo are rusting. corrosion in general is a constant battle on ships and it's a decent proxy for how hosed up a ship's crew is. although not always. us science ships/noaa ships have always been rusty as gently caress but usually competently crewed. usually their just old as gently caress. also painted white so the rust kinda shows.

also for no reason in particular but being on boat chat, this is an insight into what the Ideal Sailors were
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tuTKhqWZso

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cuttlefush posted:

a few of the new ships have more technical corrosion issues, but that's not why arleigh burkes an poo poo are rusting. corrosion in general is a constant battle on ships and it's a decent proxy for how hosed up a ship's crew is. although not always.

that’s rust over the side and on the hull. they aren’t going to put folks over the side to paint in a bosuns chair. that’s stuff they hit in a shipyard period.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yeah im not talking about that tweet above. there have been a few arleigh burkes in particular with actually hosed up looking rust. uss hopper, uss stout. the one in the tweet is at an angle where you can't really see poo poo anyway

obviously even the worst pictures from those ships are still just showing superficial rust, but they look pretty hosed up even for just returning from a deployment. coupled with the uptick in accidents and the various reports of things being more hosed up than normal in the surface navy combined with all those superficially rusty ships makes it look like there's probably a crisis of maintenance/crew/hours

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 06:55 on May 24, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

that’s rust over the side and on the hull. they aren’t going to put folks over the side to paint in a bosuns chair. that’s stuff they hit in a shipyard period.

Yeah I get it, that's why all those Chinese frigates are covered in rust too

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The US navy got rid of too many shipyards in the 90s, and now ships are now going into dry dock no where near as fast as they should. It is likely gradually effecting primary systems, this is beyond just boondoggles like the LCS.

The USN had to get rid of its cruisers in part because they just didn’t have the yards to maintain them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush posted:

im guessing you're being cheeky but just in case, non-rusty metal is just as good for getting tetanus. the rust/tetanus association is probably just because it's caused by bacteria that tends to live in soil (but also seems to show up all over the place) and any sharp metal in soil is probably going to be pretty rusty

it's usually kind of a freak infection for people with non-compromised immunity. usually

environmental bacterial/other pathogen infections are all kind of freaky. poo poo like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrio_vulnificus?useskin=vector is just chilling all over the place and if it catches your immune system slipping it will loving destroy you

Oh I was just going off my mom telling me as a child that everything rusty would give me tetanus

But thank you for the information!

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The consultants say Chinese culture is afraid of ghosts so the Navy is going with the rotting ghost ship look.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Bar Crow posted:

The consultants say Chinese culture is afraid of ghosts so the Navy is going with the rotting ghost ship look.

It is kind of spooky, I think I would run away too.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The Oldest Man posted:

https://twitter.com/WarshipCam/status/1660740976942501893?s=20

new stealth warship technology causes enemy missile seekers to misidentify them as a vintagey wrought iron fence
Easy fix, they just need 10,000 cans of this stuff:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ehh I'd say it's more of a zombie vibe

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
gotta buy the Rust Rid from Zozo

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Cuttlefush posted:

that's kind of the sailor ideal in general. im not sure if the us navy ever actually did that as a whole for any length of time. different ships/commands probably did. i think most of the rusty ship stuff in the current surface navy is from loving up crew/work schedules. too few sailors, too many hours per sailor, no sleep, etc. same issue with all the crashing.

a few of the new ships have more technical corrosion issues, but that's not why arleigh burkes an poo poo are rusting. corrosion in general is a constant battle on ships and it's a decent proxy for how hosed up a ship's crew is. although not always. us science ships/noaa ships have always been rusty as gently caress but usually competently crewed. usually their just old as gently caress. also painted white so the rust kinda shows.

also for no reason in particular but being on boat chat, this is an insight into what the Ideal Sailors were

I love this film. Pretty sure my Dad dreamed he would be this dude, which always made sailing in our rusty old 30 footer an adventure.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cuttlefush posted:

there's probably a crisis of maintenance/crew/hours

well an awful lot of that’s been privatized. it’s a big loving problem.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

well an awful lot of that’s been privatized. it’s a big loving problem.

well imagine how much worse things would be if the market wasn't there to provide better service at a lower cost!

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

KomradeX posted:

Didn't the navy used to have a reputation for keeping things spic and span and constant cleaning, repairing and painting?

"She may not sail, but she must shine."

Cuttlefush posted:

Boats used to always be rust buckets until, back in tha day, when some high ranking officer toured a boat and was agast at the state it was in (I assume somehow he rose through the ranks in the USN without ever serving on a boat) and decided to make inserv inspections a thing.

Boats started getting cleaned to hell and back because every boat now had to pass an inspection, when before it was just taken as "normal" to have a warship that wasn't clean and rust free.

Turtle Sandbox has issued a correction as of 19:27 on May 24, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Turtle Sandbox posted:

"She may not sail, but she must shine."

Boats used to always be rust buckets until, back in tha day, when some high ranking officer toured a boat and was agast at the state it was in (I assume somehow he rose through the ranks in the USN without ever serving on a boat) and decided to make inserv inspections a thing.

Boats started getting cleaned to hell and back because every boat now had to pass an inspection, when before it was just taken as "normal" to have a warship that wasn't clean and rust free.

A lot of it is now that weapon and primary systems are far more complex and need complete servicing more often, and the more a ship rusts, the more it is obvious that it hasn't seen drydock and overhaul in quite a while. There are similar complaints about the Russian surface fleet, and they aren't without merit.

Moskva wasn't even that rusted when it went down but its aft AA system was completely out of action, and the Ukrainians were able to pounce on it with that knowledge.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
you'd have to actually start getting numbers for deferred painting and scraping and poo poo on ships and see if that changed across the navy before inspection standards changed or vice versa. really the rust thing is just kind of funny to post picture of. the reports of leadership fuckups, the accidents, real maintenance problems, etc are the evidence of the us navy slowly losing its edge for ww3. but it's a lot easier to just post "lol rusty rear end ship"

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cuttlefush posted:

you'd have to actually start getting numbers for deferred painting and scraping and poo poo on ships and see if that changed across the navy before inspection standards changed or vice versa. really the rust thing is just kind of funny to post picture of. the reports of leadership fuckups, the accidents, real maintenance problems, etc are the evidence of the us navy slowly losing its edge for ww3. but it's a lot easier to just post "lol rusty rear end ship"

The rust is visible when most of the rot is not. Normal assed Americans eyes glaze over when you talk about the MIC, but a rusty warship might make them go "that ain't right".

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

bring back dazzle camouflage. it was incredibly successful in the one thing that matters: looking really cool

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Turtle Sandbox posted:

The rust is visible when most of the rot is not. Normal assed Americans eyes glaze over when you talk about the MIC, but a rusty warship might make them go "that ain't right".

yes. i'd bet the now very obvious increase in rust is due to not having enough sailors/time to spend that labor on non-essential maintenance rather than just relaxed inspection standards. but maybe not. either way it's fun to poke fun at all the rust

bedpan posted:

bring back dazzle camouflage. it was incredibly successful in the one thing that matters: looking really cool

nobody can do lines that straight anymore. iirc dazzle camou was all done by hand by highly skilled labor and it would cost ridiculous $ to do

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cuttlefush posted:

Well the US government admits enough though GAO/CBO reports, it is just the rusty ships more or less are another form of evidence. There are are also rumors about low morale and a various weapon system being offline, but that is harder to judge.

A lot of it is just well if you have an overworked crew (and officers) along with resources being stretched further and further every year, it will eventually show strain.

A large part of it is both hard limitations (such as accessible shipyards) but also how funding is allocated. The US military gets a massive amount of funding on paper until you actually get into the nitty gritty of how much money it takes to keep such a massive military going while contractors and supplies are all taking a ever larger segment of the pie. The DoD literally needs to keep growing 5-7% a year (above inflation) just keep its current readiness levels.

The debt limit debate is pointless theater, but it is going to see what funding is allocated this year because the DoD probably needs at least a flat 10%+ increase in its budget. (Also, for the other departments, they still probably need at least 3%+ above inflation and anything less than that is a direct cut).

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Americans complaining about painting dull grey hulls.

Bring back buff, white and brightwork.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
gently caress anti-fouling paint

god it's horrid

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol is that what those ramming bows looked like under the waterline

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol is that what those ramming bows looked like under the waterline

Yes.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
bulbous bows are way, way funnier. it's not even close

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Cuttlefush posted:

bulbous bows are way, way funnier. it's not even close

That ship micropenis is a very good metaphor for the US.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

cat botherer posted:

That ship micropenis is a very good metaphor for the US.

not really. bulbous bows are actually pretty neat. also some of the nimitz class carriers don't have bulbous bows. im not really sure why they added them because I would think fuel efficiency (which bulbous bows improve, mainly) isn't a huge concern for a nuclear powered ship? I guess refueling the reactors a few years earlier is a huge pain in the rear end taht adds up and there probably aren't major drawbacks.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
The superior bow belongs to the torpedo ram.

Not only can you launch a torpedo from the reinforced bow, but you can also defeat multiple Martian tripods.

acct52423
May 24, 2023

Slavvy posted:

Ehh I'd say it's more of a zombie vibe

its more of a growing old waiting for quality posts sort of vibe

acct52423
May 24, 2023

Cuttlefush posted:

gotta buy the Rust Rid from Zozo

Bye Bye ZoZo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Hubbert posted:

The superior bow belongs to the torpedo ram.

Not only can you launch a torpedo from the reinforced bow, but you can also defeat multiple Martian tripods.

the polyphemus? pathetic. try plongeur