Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I've seen it called white cabbage or winter cabbage or something before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
On the east coast of the US, I usually see that as “green cabbage” or just the default “cabbage.” What Grand Fromage called “Western cabbage” I usually see sold as “Savoy cabbage.”

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Savoy cabbage usually has wrinkly leaves, at least out here! My understanding is that green cabbage and flat cabbage are slightly different, see here.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah, "savoy" definitely means "wrinkly." I had no idea there was a specifically "flat" variety distinct from "green," you learn something every day. I stand corrected on that--gotta pay more attention to the flatness of the cabbages I'm buying.

Personally I do like the post-shredding ice bath step as a side for katsu, and yeah, sliced really thin. I serve the cabbage tossed in a little wafu-style dressing though, even though it's usually unadorned in "real" katsu joints.

Also this got lost in cabbagechat:

some kinda jackal posted:

While we’re asking restaurant questions, I’m going to miss the kushikatsu place 30 seconds from my hotel. Thinking about trying to DIY when I get back to Canada, maybe make a fun backyard friends get together thing out of it.

I’m wondering what sort of bread crumbs I’d be looking for when I get back, or whether whatever we can source in western shops is fine? I’ve done some googling and some people are running panko through a mesh trainer with a spoon until it gets a little finer, which seems like it would be a good idea too.

Thoughts on the batter? I’ve seen both egg and non-egg based suggestions on google. I mean ultimately I can just try whatever I find when I get home and experiment, just wondering for some “authentic results” firsthand experience with western ingredients if possible. Panko being so universal these days that I basically lump it in with western ingredients..

I'm sure the breadcrumbs are just fine panko (also you can make store-bought panko finer by running it through a blender or food processor, before you strain it). Batter-wise it seems like one of those things where each shop has their own thing, but egg/flour/milk or water in some ratio will get you there. You might be in for some experimentation if you want to duplicate that particular spot exactly. More eggs and using milk instead of water should make it richer/fluffier, so you can adjust accordingly for batch 2 depending on how batch 1 comes out.

It does sound like a fun backyard hang if you've got a way to deep fry outside. Kushikatsu kick rear end.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Just One Cookbook has a kushikatsu recipe, I'd probably start with that. I'm usually happy with her stuff and at least it's a base to tweak from.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It's almost soumen season

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

No. This guy:

I sometimes see it as Taiwan cabbage in the US. Napa won't work at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9kK2sNR_uQ

As always I think I had the right cabbage but I wasn't preparing it properly, so thankyou for that. There must be one guy who's job is to just cut cabbage in those restaurants.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
back on my faux-umeboshi bullshit

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How'd long does miso last in the fridge? Red specifically, but I assume white is the same.

I've got a few recipes I'd like to try, but I don't think I'd use an entire 13oz container, so I want to know how long the remainder will keep.

E: also for some reason Wegmans calls their red miso paste "red miso paste", but describes it as "shinshu-style" which I thought is yellow?

Looks like this:

Annath fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 1, 2023

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Miso in the fridge in the fridge can last years, potentially indefinitely. It’s fermented and very salty, after all. Keep it tightly sealed so it doesn’t dry out or get contaminated with something else and you’re golden.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah if it's not fuzzy it's fine. I've never seen it go off. I have some miso that is five or six years old (plus was aged three years before it was sold).

There is a kind that has dashi mixed in and I'm unclear if that changes the lifespan of it. I wouldn't buy it anyway.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
That stuff is great for miso soup just drop it in hot water and stir. I haven't had any issues with it going off after a year or two so far

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh that makes sense if you're doing daily miso soup.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah if it's not fuzzy it's fine. I've never seen it go off. I have some miso that is five or six years old (plus was aged three years before it was sold).

There is a kind that has dashi mixed in and I'm unclear if that changes the lifespan of it. I wouldn't buy it anyway.

It shouldn't. I too have ancient miso in the fridge at all times.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That miso also got carried around in my backpack for a month in Japanese summer, so if it survived that it should survive anything. :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I bought gochu jang a few months ago and have never used it. What do I do with it?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Arglebargle III posted:

I bought gochu jang a few months ago and have never used it. What do I do with it?

spicy pork stir fry

Or many of the other stuff on that same website

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

spicy pork stir fry

Or many of the other stuff on that same website

Bapsang rules. For the best jeyuk, add some chopped kimchi and kimchi juice in there too. Serve on top of rice and then sprinkle shredded seaweed on top. And feel free to reduce (but not eliminate) the sugar.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My rice cooker broke! :smith:

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Spicy tteokbokki is delicious.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Scythe posted:

Miso in the fridge in the fridge can last years, potentially indefinitely. It’s fermented and very salty, after all. Keep it tightly sealed so it doesn’t dry out or get contaminated with something else and you’re golden.

I ended up grabbing this stuff:

Can I like, stir it into water to make tasty rice? Or is it better to use more like a condiment - adding to a finished dish?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Annath posted:

I ended up grabbing this stuff:

Can I like, stir it into water to make tasty rice? Or is it better to use more like a condiment - adding to a finished dish?

You can add it to dashi to make miso soup, you can use it as a marinade before roasting fish or egg plant, and you can add it into sauces and stuff to add saltiness and umami.

I've never heard of adding it to rice before cooking but hey, give it a try! (You wouldn't want to add much, I think, miso can be very salty and it might gunk up the steam vent of your rice cooker).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

captkirk posted:

You can add it to dashi to make miso soup, you can use it as a marinade before roasting fish or egg plant, and you can add it into sauces and stuff to add saltiness and umami.

I've never heard of adding it to rice before cooking but hey, give it a try! (You wouldn't want to add much, I think, miso can be very salty and it might gunk up the steam vent of your rice cooker).

I like adding stuff to rice when cooking it. I have some frozen peas n carrots, so maybe I'll dissolve some miso in water, cook the rice, and stir in the veggies after.

I just throw poo poo I like together, and most of the time the result tastes good.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Miso is really heat sensitive, you wouldn't want to put it in cooking rice because it would destroy the flavor. You could put a little on some already cooked rice though.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah, I wouldn’t add miso to cooking rice, it’s more a thing to use either as part of a marinade for something you’re going to grill or roast, or to stir into a finished soup. There are some recipes where you simmer fish in it, too.

The best thing I know to do with miso and rice is to dilute some miso in water and brush it on yaki onigiri while they grill.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

hallo spacedog posted:

Miso is really heat sensitive, you wouldn't want to put it in cooking rice because it would destroy the flavor.

this isn't true, miso is regularly heated (e.g. miso soup). there's a variety of unsupported claims online about various temperatures and “probiotics” but generally the flavour survives heating well

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

jawbroken posted:

this isn't true, miso is regularly heated (e.g. miso soup). there's a variety of unsupported claims online about various temperatures and “probiotics” but generally the flavour survives heating well

That's what I was always told in Japan is the reason it's added at the very end before serving

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I had a decent first attempt at using a stand mixer to “pound” mochi, though if I’m being honest I think I need to postmortem the whole process and see where I can improve.

I don’t think I was prepared for the sheer stickiness of the mass, so I had a hard time working it into anything usable and found myself pretty frustrated pretty quickly. Cleanup was also a major disaster. THAT SAID, what I did manage to work into balls was delicious and enjoyed topped with sweet kinako.

I have tried doing mochi from mochiko and I much preferred the texture and consistency of what I made yesterday so I’m probably going to continue trying to improve my technique, but I DO think I want to remove the stand mixer from the equation and maybe invest in a mochi maker. I’m typically not a fan of single use appliances in my kitchen but I think this is one I could justify, even at a relatively high price point.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dough hook?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I haven't been able to cook anything for a good while because I've been traveling a lot due to work, so when I got finally back home, I just put together some oyakodon. I need to practice getting the egg right, but yeah, that hit the spot. Japanese comfort foods are the best.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dough hook didn't seem to have much purchase on the ball, in the quantity I made, but in the end I used various non-whisk attachments.

Going to take a second crack at it this weekend with my eyes open on process. Definitely things I know I can improve on, but also just going in with more understanding of what to expect vs what I've youtube'd. I still think I want to find a mochi machine at some point, but lack of one isn't going to deter me from trying :haw:

Another factor could (read: definitely) is that I don't know how much water to add, if any at all. At various stages the mass seems incredibly thick and adding small amounts of water did seem to make it more workable, but also very likely contributed to the big stick situation so I think I'll try adding "less" in a general sense. I wasn't adding a ton just a slpash or two, but that may already have been too much.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm pretty sure you need a giant hammer and a bunch of dudes in happis to make mochi.

RFC
Nov 3, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

Just One Cookbook has a kushikatsu recipe, I'd probably start with that. I'm usually happy with her stuff and at least it's a base to tweak from.

Her recipes are pretty good.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There's a kimchi fried rice recipe on Just One Cookbook, and I have a question.

Kimchi doesn't really go bad, does it? I have a jar of it that's been in the refrigerator for a while, but it's sitting against the back of the fridge and was probably frozen all this time.

I don't know why the fridge freezes stuff in the back. The one time I tried to make it less cold it leaked all over the floor :mad:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

That Old Ganon posted:

There's a kimchi fried rice recipe on Just One Cookbook, and I have a question.

Kimchi doesn't really go bad, does it? I have a jar of it that's been in the refrigerator for a while, but it's sitting against the back of the fridge and was probably frozen all this time.

I don't know why the fridge freezes stuff in the back. The one time I tried to make it less cold it leaked all over the floor :mad:

IIRC if you have too much stuff towards the back of the fridge it messes up the air circulation and will freeze some stuff. I could be wrong though. Same thing happens to us sometimes.

Anyway - I don't think so? It changes in taste and becomes kinda sourish but I don't think it goes bad unless it gets moldy.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Kimchi goes sour (edit: admittedly also kind of funky but in a very good way) as it ages but for me, that's not a bad thing, it makes better soup. If there's no visible mold, it's like a jar of pickles. Always remember FAT TOM (Food, Acidity, Time, Temperature, Oxygen, Moisture) as a basis for food safety.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, it gets more sour and softer (and sometimes will kind of carbonate) but I have never seen it go bad. I have heard that if it does it will grow mold, so check for fuzz.

Traditionally all kimchi is made at once when the cabbage is harvested and was intended as your supply for the entire year, pre-refrigeration, so. It'll last a while.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How do you make your oyakodon the right egg texture? I always over or under cook it

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Arglebargle III posted:

How do you make your oyakodon the right egg texture? I always over or under cook it

Take note of what you're doing in either case and get to a happy medium.

You can also leave out some of the egg until the very end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah for me, it was first more dashi/etc, then cooking more slowly, and that’s usually good enough but if I’m feeling fancy enough I’ll also add the egg in multiple stages.