Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mesadoram posted:

?

What happened with Cayde?

Sony Showcase just showed the first teaser for Final Shape. Ikora past the triangle gate talking to Cayde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

IGN has the teaser

https://youtu.be/_YUvzROUph4

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GigaPeon posted:

Could anyone tell which voice they got?

that was 100% nathon fillion

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sony Showcase just showed the first teaser for Final Shape. Ikora past the triangle gate talking to Cayde.

That is quite interesting. Gotta check it out later when I am off of work :unsmith:.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Certainly looking like the last big leak RE: Final Shape is 100% true.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

RocketRaygun posted:

Yay!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Snuffman posted:

Yeah gonna have to be careful moving forward here since the TFS Leak started off with "It's a time valley with Cayde 6" ...

Marathon looks neat, but I'm a bit unsure what the target market is for "Apex Legends in the Marathon Universe"

Are those 3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3 battle royales even popular anymore?

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
Marathon looks sick

also i guess that's where destiny PVP went

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Destiny is a metaphor for death.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah gonna have to be careful moving forward here since the TFS Leak started off with "It's a time valley with Cayde 6" ...

Marathon looks neat, but I'm a bit unsure what the target market is for "Apex Legends in the Marathon Universe"

Are those 3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3 battle royales even popular anymore?

Oh it's worse.

It's allegedly an extraction shooter.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

RocketRaygun posted:

press release confirms https://press.bungie.com/Bungie-Announces-Marathon-Nathan-Fillion-To-Return-to-Destiny-2-for-Th?s=09

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Oh it's worse.

It is an extraction shooter.

Marathon Web Page posted:

Become a Runner in Bungie’s new sci-fi PvP extraction shooter. Compete for survival, riches, and renown in a world of evolving, persistent zones, where any run can lead to greatness.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Oh it's worse.

If I understand correctly, extraction shooter = a 'live' battle royale where you play Control instead of Clash?

Like give it to me straight doc, are Squads of 3 going to "drop" into a combat zone and kill each other as we try to secure Loot?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

extraction shooter = Escape from Tarkov-like

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Yeah I am negative excited for another Tarkov-like but that Justice song in the Trailer whipped rear end.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

NAME REDACTED posted:

Temperature check because I have no idea what the fandom thinks: Do we think that Savathun is permanently done as an active player in the plot now that we killed her at the end of WItch Queen?

Don't read if you don't want to see leaked content datamined voice lines for this season seem to indicate it ends with us realizing Savathun is the only one who can stop Xivu Arath and entering an agreement with Immaru to let him revive her

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This actually makes Holliday's death interesting. Well, no, it actually doesn't, but now she either becomes a guardian to come back or we see her on the other side.

I can picture it now, just like a kid's movie. Everyone crossing the triangle threshold and running through the paracausal fields, reuniting with their lost loved ones. Crow goes bounding up the hill and sees a crowd of people, all of them hugging and embracing. It's people we know but can't remember right now for this post. He looks around and slowly the hope fades from his face. He's about to turn and leave when, in slow motion of course, he turns and takes one last look. His eyes widen, his mouth drops. Slowly, super slowly, like 30fps cap slowly, a couple of people move out of the center of the frame and stop blocking our view of a golden, radient Amanda as she smiles to greet him. He runs to her, they hug, some pop song by Pharrell starts playing.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 24, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
OK I read up on what an extraction shooter is and it looks like they were briefly popular in 2016 and 2017

Surely the company that made Gambit will nail this PvPvE experience

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Oh Tarkov is still massive. I just loving loathe the genre. A cooler return of marathon would have been lol traveler = durandal.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I think bungie shooters are unique enough that any trend hopping they do will be through a very specific lens

I'm mostly just excited for a bungie PVP experience since destiny PVP froze solid like 5 years ago

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

dodgeblan posted:

I think bungie shooters are unique enough that any trend hopping they do will be through a very specific lens

I'm mostly just excited for a bungie PVP experience since destiny PVP froze solid like 5 years ago

lol, about that
https://twitter.com/destinytrack/status/1661487999203385344?s=20

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://twitter.com/PaulTassi/status/1661488598779064320?s=20

Bungie with a big "See me after class" vibe inviting us to learn about The Future of Destiny on August 22nd, btw

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You're extracting pieces for your home base which is just forge.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I am actually pretty excited about Marathon. Extraction shooters could be very fun if they were created by competent developers. Instead we get fuckin Tarkov the "how the gently caress did I die, oh it was a hacker across the map just clearing the lobby" simulator

EDIT: In before "hurr bungie isnt a competent developer"

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Snuffman posted:

Is it good or bad? I don't mind stuff being spoiled but seeing Cayde again is actually pretty cool imo and it'll be nice to have him back unless it's something weird?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
hurr bungie isnt a competent developer

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

How bad was Lightfall that they already put a teaser out this early.

Also:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

hurr bungie isnt a competent developer

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

RBX posted:

this is Sony's e3 replacement. This was planned a year+ in advance.

there is literally no recent events that lead to the creation of this teaser or the fact that it launched today.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Middle of the year is about right for a teaser, they used to reveal expansions at E3 but E3 is now dead

August 22 is also the launch of season 22, which is definitely a coincidence

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

SUNKOS posted:

Is it good or bad? I don't mind stuff being spoiled but seeing Cayde again is actually pretty cool imo and it'll be nice to have him back unless it's something weird?

It's hard to judge based on one-sentence descriptions of things. So you've got items like

"We lose to the Witness, but just Us. Frozen Oryx talks to us in Entropy" where who the hell knows what that even means, maybe it's cool, maybe it's not.

But then you also have things that are pretty self-explanatory like

No new subclass that are hard details.

I wouldn't say it's good or bad. It's just confirmatory that TFS is the end of Destiny Two as a fully supported video game title, and the future of the franchise does not involve our player guardian

Cayde is not alive again. Not back from the dead. He can't leave the valley and is just there to guide us through the end of our player guardian's final chapter as defender of the DestinyVerse

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

gotta put a massive astrisk there too, because this leaked before lightfall.

Not everything in the extremely early witch queen leaks came out (remember Player Capital Ships?) At the point this leaked, TFS was in early early early pre-production. While the shape of things is probably the same, the details are probably going very different. Any quoted specifics are probably not going to be what they are.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's hard to judge based on one-sentence descriptions of things. So you've got items like

"We lose to the Witness, but just Us. Frozen Oryx talks to us in Entropy" where who the hell knows what that even means, maybe it's cool, maybe it's not.

But then you also have things that are pretty self-explanatory like

No new subclass that are hard details.

I wouldn't say it's good or bad. It's just confirmatory that TFS is the end of Destiny Two as a fully supported video game title, and the future of the franchise does not involve our player guardian

Cayde is not alive again. Not back from the dead. He can't leave the valley and is just there to guide us through the end of our player guardian's final chapter as defender of the DestinyVerse

Thanks for the info but that's also weird as hell because I could swear Bungie said that Final Shape was just the end of one Destiny story and implied that it's going to keep going for a long time? I wonder how many people will just check out if they actually commit to a proper "end" and there's no investment for players any more since it sounds like they'll be wiping the slate entirely clean again? I thought there were more expansions coming after TFS, or at least one more? Might have imagined it, though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Marathon being PvP-only is cringe, I would really like a good PvE extraction shooter to make good on the potential of Mass Effect 3's multiplayer and I think Bungie would've been the perfect dev to make that a reality. Oh well. As is, I'll probably play Marathon for a couple weeks and then go back to Destiny.

So logistically, Cayde returning isn't a "well, our main NPC's voice actor just died, who the gently caress can we pull" thing, is it? I assume this trailer took longer than two months to make. Either way, we probably won't get any interactions between Cayde and Zavala unless they're recorded already which makes me the big sad. :[

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

I thought the stuff I read sounded like an appropriate end to Destiny 2. The leaks I've read all sound a bit different though and the last "big one" reads like a mish-mash of Lightfall and Final Shape (definitely hinting that Lightfall was filler).

RBX posted:

I feel like we got our first Lightfall teaser around this time last year. . NM, we got a teaser for the August showcase in July. Definitely screams "we have a plan, please keep playing!".

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

RocketRaygun posted:

this is Sony's e3 replacement. This was planned a year+ in advance.

there is literally no recent events that lead to the creation of this teaser or the fact that it launched today.

We never get a teaser for the next expansion so close to the last. They could've just had Marathon, but that Destiny trailer feels thrown in as a "See, Cayde is back! Be excited!".

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

RBX posted:

We never get a teaser for the next expansion so close to the last. They could've just had Marathon, but that Destiny trailer feels thrown in as a "See, Cayde is back! Be excited!".

Bungie had just been purchased by Sony at that point. Now they are a marquee studio under Sony's umbrella.

TFS teaser got the penultimate spot in the showcase. They put it right before Spider-man 2. There was no "rabbit out of a hat" here. Sony wanted Bungie to run a big, explosive teaser for their main marketing event, and gave them a lot of time to do it.

There is no way they made this trailer, with this quality of production, with Nathan Fillion, in under 3 months.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
From the people that brought you "I definitely know how game engines work" and "I definitely know how game servers work", here comes another hit, "I definitely know how long it takes to make a trailer."

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

MJeff posted:

Marathon being PvP-only is cringe

I don't think so as far as it being a game that they are making but it does seem to be the reason why Crucible & Gambit have been dead for so long which is tragic since PvP is what kept Destiny 1 going for so long imo and Destiny 2 is essentially a singleplayer/co-op game at this point (not strictly - but I think everyone knows what I mean by that).

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
i havent had enough time to play to unlock fishing (!) but I sure do like this sprint around and blind things auto rifle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

SUNKOS posted:

Thanks for the info but that's also weird as hell because I could swear Bungie said that Final Shape was just the end of one Destiny story and implied that it's going to keep going for a long time? I wonder how many people will just check out if they actually commit to a proper "end" and there's no investment for players any more since it sounds like they'll be wiping the slate entirely clean again? I thought there were more expansions coming after TFS, or at least one more? Might have imagined it, though.

The future of content for Destiny 2 is that there will be some of some kind. If we consider 'Expansion' to mean something like Witch Queen, Forsaken, or Beyond Light, then no, there will not be any more expansions for Destiny 2. If you consider Black Armory or Curse of Osiris to be expansions, then yes, there will be more expansions. There will be seasons, there will be D1 & D2 content that comes and goes, and there will be newly recorded voice lines, lore pages, seasonal activities, etc.

The future of content for Destiny the Videogame Franchise is wholly unknown! There is an unannounced Destiny Game in the works, but most people are not expecting it to be 'Destiny Three'. In the end, our futures lie beyond the solar system!