Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I loved how in the episode where Geordi's mother's ship goes missing he mentions how they got in to and out of impossible situations all the time, confirming that the Enterprise isn't really that special.:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Boxturret posted:

I loved how in the episode where Geordi's mother's ship goes missing he mentions how they got in to and out of impossible situations all the time, confirming that the Enterprise isn't really that special.:allears:

Basically thousands of Star Trek episodes are happening every day all across Starfleet. We only ever see the ones that happen to the Enterprise or Voyager.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Basically thousands of Star Trek episodes are happening every day all across Starfleet. We only ever see the ones that happen to the Enterprise or Voyager.

excuse me what about when they shrunk the Defiant

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arivia posted:

excuse me what about when they shrunk the Defiant

They shrunk a runabout and it flew around inside the Defiant :eng101:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

They shrunk a runabout and it flew around inside the Defiant :eng101:

oh i didn't know that i've never actually seen the episode. BUT STILL, NOT VOYAGER OR AN ENTERPRISE.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

We also saw some aboard a Titan but then it turned into an Enterprise.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Knormal posted:

We also saw some aboard a Titan but then it turned into an Enterprise.

Just because the Pakleds think every ship is an Enterprise doesn't make them all--oh wait you mean the other show.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Arivia posted:

Time travel often feels very chaotic to viewers, I think. A lot of people complained about Moffat's clockwork plots (one of the new Doctor Who writers/showrunners) feeling like no rules applied, although they were internally consistent, just opaque and incredibly woven into themselves.

People also have the same opinions about a lot of Star Trek time travel episodes unless it's really, really clear.

IT's the sonic screwdriver for me
They're stuck somewhere, welp it's screwdriver time

Not the case in the pre-revival Whos. But pre-revival Who is more like TOS where it's a bit more "do we have spare sets, okay it's time for John Pertwee to visit 1970s police planet" so, like with TOS I care a lot less since it doesn't feel like it's meant to be consistent in any way at all

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 24, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

Doctor Who will change it's rules, but it's usually something they make a Deal out of because they care about the past and past stories. If nothing else TNG/DS9/Voy are more episodic generally than the average nuWho season.

Doctor Who has terrible internal continuity and all of the attempts to unjumble and justify things to the audience in-universe have been equally terrible.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No matter terrible you think Who is, it's still absurd to claim it's more episodic than the episodic Treks.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Dr Who doesn't really use time travel within an episode for the most part, its just the thing that gets them there, there's like one or two episodes I can think of that involve them actively time travelling within a single setting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/thetrekcentral/status/1661388152924168195?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm beyond hyped for that episode.

I'm so glad they kept the purple hair.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

zoux posted:

While we're talking about sci fi, do you guys think Dr Who occupies the same pop cultural niche in Britain that ST does over here?

Dr. Who seems like it went through an inverse of Star Trek's development. Whereas Star Trek over time got more into ongoing arcs, Doctor Who went from doing multi-episode stories to trying to pack everything from any one story into one 40-minute episode. I think newer Doctor Who even takes itself way less seriously. Dr. Who also isn't really built around any consistent, organized sci-fi aesthetics like Star Trek is. A whole lot of it is just reusing props and costumes from other shows. Something like half of John Pertwee's run is just him hanging out with the British army in the present day fighting off monsters. And even when they travel to another planet or the future, it's often going to be more primitive rather than more advanced

Aside from the UK being heavily plugged into American media, they do have a lot of more trek-ish sci-fi shows with people in uniforms on a spaceship like Space 1999 or Blake's 7. They just seldom bloom into longer-lasting big franchises. I think it might be something about the business structure of British TV, or maybe the fact that they invest less into the budgets up front, so it's harder for them to compete with American media when they'll look more dated faster.

But I will say that if you're interested in the style of TOS and want more of that, british sci-fi from the 60s-80s is gonna have a lot of similarities in its storytelling.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

bull3964 posted:

I'm beyond hyped for that episode.

I'm so glad they kept the purple hair.

!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1661386987763367941

I'm hype.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
You... I ...also live

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Taear posted:

IT's the sonic screwdriver for me
They're stuck somewhere, welp it's screwdriver time

They poked fun at that in one of the multi-doctor specials with the war doctor. Tennent and Smith flip around and point theirs at something and the old doctor yells at them "It's not a weapon it's a scientific instrument"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

swickles posted:

You... I ...also live

Best cartoon to live action translation ever, just based on that one line.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I couldn't get into any dr who after sylvester mccoy/ace era- there was a significant gap and then when there was more I was older and it seemed aimed at a younger audience

tng/ds9 was my star trek, and then also a bit later red dwarf in the parodic sense of it

enjoying mid season 3 of ds9 now and it really feels like it's found full stride and is ready to break out into a full run

past tense was one I really remember from childhood and thinking "drat I hope things don't get that bad" and just lol, lmao now

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

bull3964 posted:

Best cartoon to live action translation ever, just based on that one line.

I was honestly about to say I hate this but then I saw that line and now I'm onboard.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think the SNW Enterprise is *just* the perfect environment for a big nerd from the future to geek out about.

Prediction: he grabs Uhura's earpiece out of her ear and starts ranting about historical tech

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Much like Dax waxing nostalgic for the TOS design aesthetic during Trials and Tribble-ations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I think the SNW Enterprise is *just* the perfect environment for a big nerd from the future to geek out about.

Prediction: he grabs Uhura's earpiece out of her ear and starts ranting about historical tech

Mariner makes fun of Pike's wall of knick knacks

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
How many animated to live action cross overs have there been? This is the first one I've seen

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 24, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm betting there's going to be a comment about how 'I always thought the original Enterprise was more cramped and plainer, this is really nice!'

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I'm betting there's going to be a comment about how 'I always thought the original Enterprise was more cramped and plainer, this is really nice!'

Who does Mariner flirt with and why is it Nurse Chapel?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Ortegas because they're both badasses

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Gaz-L posted:

*Leslie Nielsen voice* It's Nurse Chapel and it's Nurse Chapel.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

CainFortea posted:

Ortegas because they're both badasses

:hmmyes:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The fact that the name of the crossover episode is "Those Old Scientists" tells me they understood the assignment.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

The fact that the name of the crossover episode is "Those Old Scientists" tells me they understood the assignment.

Hahaha that owns

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I genuinely can’t remember the last time I was this excited for a Star Trek

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
And Frakes is directing it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The most I've ever been excited for an Star Trek is Generations ._.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
SNW makes me feel like I’m 8 again sitting in my living room watching new 90s Trek, while also very much being its own thing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

zoux posted:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dill

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

zoux posted:

Well, I hope this time your excitement turns out better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Whenever I make toast I always point at it and go "Mmm!"